Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

team overhead smash posted:

Israel chooses to do them, but I think we can still recognise that rockets are a cause of a certain type of attack with that type of attack being the big ones involving mass bombing and artillery shelling that causes hundreds or thousands of civilian casualties sometimes supported by a large ground invasion. Every big attack by Israel on Palestine large enough to warrant a name like Protective Edge, Cast lead, Pillar of Defense, Autumn Clouds, Summer Rain, Days of Penitence, etc has been in response to Palestinian rockets- both chronologically and as the stated explanation for Israel's actions.

This isn't to say Israel are right to do so or justified or right in their response. It's simply recognising cause and effect. The rocket attacks are what cause Israel to choose to make their big rear end attacks which kill masses of Palestinians. The choice is still Israel's completely and totally in how if at all they respond and to me the only moral way would be to end their occupation and then seek redress as part of a truth and reconciliation programme, but as they don't seem willing to change tactics and do that any time soon.
Palestinian rocket attacks play an important role in escalating situations, but you're forgetting to mention that rocket attacks themselves are almost always retaliations to Israeli bombings and incursions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Edit: deleted reply, I was reacting to a really old post apparently.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Xander77 posted:

I will note that insisting that it's Genocide - not discrimination, not occupation, not even apartheid, but full on genocide* had exactly this long term goal - of legitimizing any "resistance" as good and proper, and claiming nothing can actually get worse (or better) for Gaza, as Israel is already genociding all the inhabitants in a concentration camp.

And since Hamas is resisting genocide, that means Hamas isn't ISIS. Hamas hasn't spent the last 3 decades sabotaging the peace process because having another faction head the Palestinian state \ autonomy is unacceptable and because it aims at destroying Israel rather than ending occupation in the territories (and of course, it doesn't matter what it intends, as it's never going to destroy Israel \ it would be a good thing if it does). Hamas didn't start this massacre to sabotage peace talks Arab states have with Israel (and those talks are bad actually, anything the Palestinians get in the process will be a mere pittance) - it's the only hope of Palestinian resistance against the genocide.

* But of course genocide is not the same thing as exterminating all Palestinians (in Gaza or in general), except that's exactly what it means and how the term is used when not forced to qualify.

A bit earlier, someone asked me what the gently caress I even want:

1. The safe return of all hostages.

2. The civilians of Gaza surviving this \ being safe.

3. Everyone in the IDF surviving this \ being safe. (Yeah, I'm Israeli).

4. Every Hamas militant being killed.

5. Netanyahu and his cabinet hanging from lamp posts \ going to jail.

6. At this point, why the gently caress not wish for a secular Palestinian state co-existing with Israel.

Probably not going to get any of that.
Maybe you should drop your goal of "killing every Hamas militant" if you truly want to keep Palestinian civilians safe.

Also, a two state solution seems to have been made largely unworkable over the years, with Palestinian territory being chopped up into dozens of enclaves, and no one thinking it's realistic (or ethical) to deport over 700.000 colonists. It's gonna have to be one big state with jews having to learn to respect other people's democratic rights.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

in that image there's incredibly clear evidence of a large blast and you can see mattresses on cars and rugs off on the right side where people had reportedly been camping out in that area. the latter fact is not under contention by any side as far as I know or have seen. that there was a large blast on an area where civilians were staying doesn't appear to be in question in any meaningful way
There were some early reports about the whole hospital being demolished which don't seem to be true?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

https://x.com/Nrg8000/status/1714535497958334678?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Now that we've gone from "the hospital was levelled" to "3 cars were damaged, cars 10 meters away were completely intact" I find it hard to believe this was an Israeli strike. Their bombs generally cause hugely more damage. Is there some much smaller bomb they use that could've caused it or is the most likely explanation now that it was a failed rocket launch?

The audio intercept does seem like obvious bullshit but am I right in thinking no-one has been able to debunk the footage (showing a rocket malfunctioning just before the strike on the hospital) yet?

e: Biden has now suggested the "other team" was responsible for the attack. Obviously he's not a remotely unbiased source but it suggests he thinks at the very least Israel's evidence is strong enough that the argument can be made
https://www.politico.eu/article/us-biden-on-gaza-hospital-strike-the-other-team-did-it/
The evidence points more to this being a failed (or intercepted) rocket launch then an IDF bombing, yes, but there's really nothing conclusive at this point.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

I personally think the most compelling evidence Israel did it was that the guy in charge of Israel's online propaganda took credit for the attack immediately after it happened.
Is he "in charge of Israel's online propaganda" though? As far as I can tell (based of his own Twitter video), he's working there in some undetermined position in a "media taskforce".

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

pro starcraft loser posted:

So has this gone from 'Israel destroyed a hospital killing 500+' to 'something blew up the parking lot outside, death toll unknown'?

Or has the death toll been more or less confirmed?
The Palestinian Health Ministry has just said 471 people were killed in the blast at the hospital in Gaza on Tuesday, with 314 injured.

We'll bring you more from their statement soon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world...post_type=share

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

https://x.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1714638868681494658?s=20

So we have confirmed Israeli bombings in the area, coupled with multiple Palestinian rocket launches in the area, and footage of a failed rocket...

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Hamas is claiming there's no shrapnel left of whatever hit the al-Ahli hospital, which seems suspect:

quote:

On Sunday, Hamas turned down requests by The Times to view any available evidence of the munition it said had struck the hospital, claiming that it had disintegrated beyond recognition.

“The missile has dissolved like salt in the water,” said Ghazi Hamad, a senior Hamas official, in a phone interview. “It’s vaporized. Nothing is left.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/22/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-hospital-evidence.html

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Ograbme posted:

More than anything, the fact that this blast was accidentally 10x deadlier than all of the thousands of rockets Hamas has fired combined should make you reconsider the effectiveness of the "it was a rocket" theory.
For starters, we don't really know for certain whether the amount of casualties is as high as Hamas claims.

You can think a larger than average Palestinian rocket was needed, but I guess that would depend on how dense the crowd was, which we don't really know. The explosion was also always going to be very deadly, regardless, since people were out in the open.

There's also the possibility that it was indeed a larger Palestinian rocket, which they do possess (but in smaller quantities).

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Do you think that the Israeli state would have stuck to it? Look at what has happened in the time since and imagine if that would have been adhered to in any way shape or form.
So Palestinians shouldn't agree to anything ever an Israeli government offers them? This is just an argument to continue the oppression forever.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand how the hospital bombing is still in dispute, between the Israel tweet taking credit for the bombing, and the fake evidence that IDF has presented, it seems pretty clear cut?
There was never a tweet "taking credit". The bombing is in dispute because Israel denies bombing it, and no conclusive evidence has been put forward as who is to blame. There's circumstantial evidence pointing to both sides.

Neurolimal posted:

The second one happens to be the one most controversial on the forums, and also probably shouldn't contaminate this thread. Will just say that I'm bearish on US's side, even before our attention splintered.
Does this super secret war exist only in your head, or are you talking about the Ukraine war? Which is a war in which the US isn't an actual participant, and which has been a disaster for the side the US opposes.

CSM fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 24, 2023

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

This is a terrible, poo poo article and people really shouldn't be posting articles from this source anymore, if this is their standard.

It's a fourth hand bullshit rumour that doesn't make any sense, and the article has an awful, awful clickbait title to boot.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

TGLT posted:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1724955393325937087

they are definitely putting poo poo behind that MRI scanner though
The bag had two guns doesn't seem such a crazy explanation. They're definitely "presenting" stuff, that's clear.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

https://twitter.com/StevenWagner85/status/1729426280255262770?t=0uY2iLr05RAhJVcjW6SDzg&s=19
https://twitter.com/StevenWagner85/status/1729426285082927510?t=tbtXKN-342-IhZ67fRfPFw&s=19
The extent of the Israeli intelligence failure on the 7/10 attacks is really impressive.

The thread has some further details/translations:

https://twitter.com/StevenWagner85/status/1729426305760845975?t=NzPF-mhudEU0HUDHTcK4KQ&s=19

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

punishedkissinger posted:

Im sure Hamas killed a lot of people at the festival, it seems unlikely they destroyed hundreds of vehicles though. Likely the IDF killed many civilians with their own indiscriminate fire which has been documented by numerous outlets.
Can you post those numerous sources stating the IDF killed 'many' civilians at the music festival? As far as I know there is the one Haaretz article talking about 'some' people being hit by a helicopter, based on one police source, which was later denied by a different police source.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

cat botherer posted:

e.g.

https://www.businessinsider.com/idf-mistakenly-hit-festival-attendees-while-targeting-hamas?amp

An official denial should be expected. Nobody wants to admit to these kind of fuckups.
You posted an article reporting on Haaretz' reporting, not an actual different source supporting the claim.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Apparently per this Haaretz article: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8e-d52f47ac0000 the IDF are only reporting around 15% of their casualties, based on the discrepancy between the IDF and israeli department of health. Full disclosure I'm basing this off a twitter summary of the article because I don't have a Haaretz account.

Considering that the department of health is another government source I wouldn't be surprised if they're undercounting as well.
The article talks only about wounded IDF, and the IDF is reporting 34% compared to hospital figures.

Perhaps you shouldn't rely on Twitter summaries.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

moths posted:

, the Mexican-Israeli actress posed as a Palestinian ER nurse.
This is misinformation you fell for, where they accused some random Israeli woman of being the (likely) fake Palestinian nurse

You shouldn't blindly believe everything you read online.

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/Lana_Tatour/status/1735747677521055794

Israel is screaming through a bull horn what their actual goal is, and we’re still supposed to go through the loving farce of pretending otherwise.
"An Israeli real estate company" doesn't set the Israeli government's policy.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

celadon posted:

Additionally, friendly fire has been admitted to be a large fraction of the civilian casualties, and theres imagery of destruction at the kibbutz's that could not have been done with what Hamas had available, i.e. destruction of entire buildings by tank fire. Similarly, the IDF's use of gunning people down from helicopters with its difficulty to distinguish militants from civilians
This is a bunch of bullshit cobbled together from anecdotal sources that are exaggerated or outright misrepresented by Hamas apologists.

You don't need to deny Hamas's large scale atrocities on 10/7 to think Israel is bad.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Its incredibly well documented in this very thread
No it is absolutely not very well documented in this thread that 'a large fraction of civilian casualties' on 10/7 were killed by the IDF.

This is an outright lie.

There are vague stories about some potential friendly fire casualties, or situations were IDF put civilians in danger. That doesn't conflate to actual large amount of civilians being killed due to friendly fire.

But by all means, post your sources that clearly lead to that conclusion.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Hamas has released some statements, it seems the goal was:

- Cross the border
- Engage the forces guarding the border
- Hopefully take some hostages and retreat

Just crossing the border would have been Mission Accomplished for making clear that the border does not insulate Israel's apartheid, regardless of how the other two went.

Hamas didn't expect:
- A last-minute relocated rave nearby
- For the forces guarding the border to be anemic
- For the forces guarding the border to barely put up a fight

They likely would have used more soldiers if they knew this was going to be a historic moment to take advantage of, but it is what it is. 'Terror' (muddying normalization, breaking the illusion of security) and hostage negotiations were the goal.
In addition to that and what they won't admit to, is that they probably wanted to murder as many Israeli civilians as possible and provoke a (genocidal) Israeli retalation.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

this is something the pro-IDF fantasists have fabricated without actual evidence.
Well the evidence would be that they murdered close to 700 Israeli civilians. So that would tell us quite a lot about the true intentions behind the Hamas attack. Trying to provoke the oppressor into committing violence is a tactic terror groups regularly employ.

It's pretty funny by the way that you're immediately talking about Israeli propaganda, when I was replying to someone who was quoting literal Hamas propaganda.

Earlier in this thread I challenged you to provide sources on the claim that 'a large fraction of civilian casualties' on 10/7 were killed by the IDF'. Are you still planning on sharing this with the thread?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Szarrukin posted:

Do you have any credible sources (not reprints of NYT bullshit) or it's just more "I'm totally not defending Israel here, BUT..." crap?

NYT carefully avoids mentioning what was the reason for self immolation for entire first part of article, also heavily implying it was a terrorist attack
They now mention it in the subheadline:

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

At least some sense from Biden:

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1779353729495413060?t=Q7HPOgnWDte7vfg3EV6y7g&s=19

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Red and Black posted:

Israel attacked the Iranian consulate in Damascus, which international law dictates is Iranian territory.
That is a myth. Embassies are protected but they remain the host countries' territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Butter Activities posted:

"evacuating" Palestinians is also genocide in any reasonable interpretation of the word.
You state this with conviction, but ethnic cleansing/population transfer isn't an act that falls under the genocide convention.