Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Willo567 posted:

The U.S. would likely tell Israel not to use tactical nukes if they were stupid enough to consider it, correct?

They will nuke you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I see the Israelis are using 'cope cages' (as the Ukraine thread puts it) like the Russians. Do they actually work?

They're better than nothing and conceptually easy to install.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Did the Houthis shut down the canal? I know stuff is rerouting but its still being used I thought?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Top G posted:

Are you saying the Houthis deserved to get bombed? The five Houthis who were killed, they deserved to die? Please clarify.

drat you got em dude

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jai Guru Dave posted:

Literally held in a kibbutz.

If Kibbutz Be’eri had a plan to fight invaders until relieved by regular army, and Kibbutz Erez, despite hosting literal military exercises, did not, then accept my sincere and abject apology. I can only prove that Kibbutz Be’eri specifically anticipated military involvement, while Kibbutz Erez merely…drilled for it. Thank you for clarifying my confusion, I am eternally your servant.

Between "thou doth tho" and "I am eternally your servant", whats going on here

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flabbergasted by moral righteousness cancelling out PTSD. Am I misreading?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Being a brutal fascist state that has a large appetite for genocide and an extreme belief in their invincible army makes for an incredibly brittle opponent.

With Nazi Germany being an exception?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, Nazi Germany ended up being pretty damned brittle, which was why it relied so heavily on aggression and momentum and never managed to recover once things started going wrong for it.

If they folded after 1941 Id agree

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stringent posted:

I was really encouraged by the ICJ ruling. I'm old enough to remember when things turned against South Africa, like I remember when Lethal Weapon 2 was actually a big deal. I feel like we're seeing a similar cultural shift against Israel. It's obviously in the beginning stages, and it's going to take a while before international support, especially in the US, falls behind the Palestinians, but at least at the moment that seems to be where things are going. I am, for the moment, genuinely optimistic.

100% Its def a positive move

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Sorry to hear your family are scum-sucking fascist baby killers. Personally, if my family had the moral fibre of a Dirlewanger Brigade member I would wish them dead.

drat, badass

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

socialsecurity posted:

Telling someone they should wish their family was dead is not "discussing" anything.

yeah this. dunno how my post was "cheerleading" tbh but w/e

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The potash guild finds these reports deeply disturbing...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The ship-by-ship assessment was like 2-3 days ago at most in this thread guys

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Youre right, was the general Mid East thread. my mistake

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

punishedkissinger posted:

Turns out the allegations against the UNRWA were entirely fabricated by the IDF.

Surely Biden and all his NATO buddies are going to return funding to the org and apologize for jumping at the chance to assist a genocide right?

yep

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Paladinus posted:

A lot of news about more and more civilian casualties but not a lot recently about any actual fighting. Are there still any signs of resistance by Hamas apart from Israel calling anyone their soldiers shoot Hamas? Has Israel stopped reporting on losses or is there just not much going on resembling an armed conflict anymore? Could it be that Hamas is already essentially neutralised, as in they don't have enough resources to pose any real short/mid-term danger to Israel?

Sources Ive seen have Israeli vehicular losses at a trickle compared to even a day in Ukraine. It very well could be a mix of both though, with neither self-reports or evidence shown by Hamas due to different factors.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

quote:

Informed Yemeni sources

drat, anonymous sources ftmfw

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EDIT: nm. they did

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 14, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Theres one circulating thats from a cattle-feed factory explosion in Texas with clear Spanish being spoken in the background lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Young Freud posted:

I'm trying to dig up the skeet on Bluesky but someone posted an analysis by a former Israeli military officer regarding the Iron Dome and one of the major issues is that the missile systems can be overwhelmed by mass attacks.

Ive some bad news about literally every system ever designed...

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 14, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Red and Black posted:

Israel attacked the Iranian consulate in Damascus, which international law dictates is Iranian territory. Iran responded in a restrained way, carrying out limited strikes on military targets in Israel.

Sure seems like legitimate self defense. Or does Iran not have a right to defend itself?

Has anyone argued otherwise here?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dante80 posted:

All things considered, Iran's response to the consulate attack can be considered pretty measured, comprehensive and effective at the same time.

In no way could this be objectively considered an escalation.

Not that it would matter though, the regime in Israel would take literally anything as an escalation, anyway.

Iran has every right to defend itself.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Israel will sink the ship the IRGC comandeered as their revenge, then be confused when its owners arent appreciative.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think the strike was a win for both sides, in that each can claim the desired outcome was achieved. If/when Israel strikes Iran will ofc throw that out the window and worsen everything.

quote:

they were able to hit the airfield and at least dozens of missiles were able to defeat Israeli (and US, GB etc.) defenses. Seems like they made their point.

Ive seen 9 total, all TBMs that got through. Is there evidence for dozens?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

It's a huge ego blow for Israel

Israel doesnt seem to think it was lol

The fact people cheerlead that this was a humiliating defeat/awesome display by both sides depending on who you ask is probably overall a good thing.

Majorian posted:

Well, they would say that, wouldn't they? It's not like any nation-state is going to be open about their missile defense system not keeping out all of the slow-moving missiles that they were previously warned about.

TBM's arent slow moving by any metric. Those exoatmospheric intercepts werent against Shaeds.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 17, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RealityWarCriminal posted:

many are saying the hypocrisy is the worst part

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This sucks imo. Not a fan.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Private Speech posted:

Well it's just a missile strike at least.

Thank goodness, was worried there for a second!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Similarly Iran gets to claim that it's strike did sufficient damage to be retribution and that the return strike did nothing and that can be the end of things.

Hopefully so

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

I've seen some speculation that Israel used training/inert missiles and that's why we haven't seen any shots of smoke/damage/etc. That Israel felt they had to respond and wanted to show Iran they could easily get around their air defenses, but did it this way so Iran can claim they made a successful defense and won't feel the need to respond.

Theres evidence of a weird missile-simulator called Blue Sparrow being used, but theres another variant of it that is high explosive. But...

The parts recovered seem to be booster-sections, and supposedly the dedicated armed variant doesnt use a booster. So its plausible they used missiles designed to emulate the flight profiles of Iranian TBMs in the attack. Definitely weird and unexpected.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

might not make better D&D posts but sure helped with my C coding

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Neon Belly posted:

What are the chances this is real? Near zero?

This war is really going to have a negative impact on the credibility of crying babies for years to come

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Frankly, I dont remember Boss Baby doing either of those things

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was the Harop affair the China sale?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Good.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

fool of sound posted:

Lol pro-Israel protestors are just like Israel itself: declare themselves threatened and in imminent danger while instigating the violence.

UCLA should probably suspend all the pro-Israel protestors just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

celadon posted:

...military intelligence...

Two words combined that cant make sense!