Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

zoux posted:

Hamas gave an english language briefing (unprecedented according to the above guardian reporter). They deny targeting civilians and say they will treat their civilian hostages in accordance with international law.

hamas starting to figure out israel would now happily firebomb every last child in the gaza strip into gore and bonemeal to get at they asses and they're starting to nervously workshop it

dumb motherfuckers get their rorscharch in prison moment all going "wait a minute i thought we were the insane radicals. oh no, wait what happens when we're both the insane radicals" you die. you get bitchmade into shredded meat after israel blows the limbs off every innocent palestinian caught between you and them. or behind you and them. or just generally in any direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tigey posted:

Its extraordinary that Hamas' attack is barely a week old and Israel is already pissing away the sympathy it created - even in the West - because they can't help themselves in their lust for vengeance and Palestinian blood.

That ain't extraordinary, that's just Israel being very Israel

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

eke out posted:

yeah there is a small percentage of the population that believes that insane millenarian poo poo, but it's dwarfed by conservatives that just like Israel because it's a far-right religious state that we have been allies with forever and also all that bible stuff you mention above.

I wish it was at least disregardably small, but it's a big ol chunk of evangelicals, and even more deeply universally embedded in evangelical leadership. And, consequently our government, whole states are managed by millenarian "boy i sure hope i get to watch war in Isreal being back Jesus and the apocalypse, let's help that along" psychos

Neurolimal posted:

The Houthis have formally joined the war; they complimented this with a drone strike that hit Eliat without triggering any air raid sirens. The Houthis have quite a bit of experience winning against Western equipment & wanton slaughter, hopefully they escalate further.

"Hopefully" lol this place

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I don't know the construction background there, but I've wondered why when they blow something up there's no, I don't know, rubble pile? I'd be more used to seeing. It's like everything in Gaza just turns to dust when it's hit.

not gonna claim this is the actual reason but when your country is really poor, say, or corrupt, or poor and corrupt, or (and im just spitballing here) some kind of, lets say, open air ethnoprison intentionally starved of infrastructural necessities? you get buildings that really do just turn into dust. lovely loving rushed construction and terrible, terrible, worse than you could imagine, hollow sand-filled lovely concrete, structures held up by bare minimum weight tolerances and a prayer-thin threshold between standard use and "becomes dust"

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Noise Complaint posted:

Edit: I’m an idiot and the sarcasm flew over my head.

My sources say every palestinean carrys tactical nuke, recites from the isis instruction manual to destroy all jew, 5 times before breakfast including wind down, will cross 3 red line onto willos balls by 1600 zulu meridian greenwich. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's not particularly controversial to say that oct 7th was a successful operation vis a vis hamas' intentions in launching it. obviously the cost after the fact will be huge, but the actual attack was about as successful as it possibly could've been. 10/7 was the biggest single day loss of life in Israeli security forces in over 50 years. That Hamas pulled that attack off and collapsed an entire sector of IDF control is a colossal military failure. It may well prove to have been an ultimately pyrrhic sort of success once all is said and done, but that doesn't really change the facts of the first day.

yeah hamas blundered into the biggest success possible because likud is like what about every single loving modern conservative establishment on the face of the planet earth became by now, the pants-wetting revanchist fraternity insisting that they are the STRONG ones who will keep you SAFE and PROTECTED from the eternal THREATS and UNDESIREABLES and you must CONSTANTLY vote for them and not the APPEASERS who won't keep you safe because they're too TIMID to ETHNICALLY CLEANSE

but actually providing security instead of endlessly promising it and scapegoating people is zero percent what they're actually about, which is plundering the core competencies and functional agencies of their country to sell it out to capital and slowly becoming so corrupt and stupid that they're basically a whole party of matt gaetzii

like this thread (or pretty much anywhere discussing israeli conflicts) will wrap itself up in the weirdest poo poo but at the very least it's helped reinforce a growing understanding that likud may have just successfully started the process of rotting out the foundations of the israeli state in a way they will be very hard pressed to reverse

especially considering the general issue of cultlike orthodox groups that successfully got israel to give them the most crystal clear example of Wilhoit's Law i can even think of, where they can only be protected and not bound, and they just get to send everyone ELSE off on the genocide sprees they so desperately want

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

This thread is awesome today, definitely very functional stuff going on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Willo567 posted:

I don't see how my concern is so unrealistic

Yeah, we know. You have got to scale back on your anxious attachment to world news

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

moths posted:

Maybe the IDF is that bad.

i mean building to building combat in an urban environment sucks to hell and is very hard, but also yes the IDF probably has some competence drain that mirrors that of the overall government under likud

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

Visibly frustrated, the commander replied in Hebrew: “אם אתה לא מדבר עברית, למה אתה פה?” which translates to: “If you don’t speak Hebrew, why are you here?”

people pouring in because they're desperate to anchor their identity in violent ethnonationalism. what a lot to think about there

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kchama posted:

Israel needs to stop its evil, forever.

some of my favorite war analyzer takes are when they try to work out precisely how improbable it would be that the IDF wasn't intentionally trying to do all this poo poo

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

Nobody will stop us – not The Hague,

definitely poo poo that totally normal, not-supervillain people proclaim to the world. perfectly cool, regular sentence NOT from a bond film badguy showcasing his neck veins. just having a super normal one over thar

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Glad people are picking up on this because israel is at an authoritarian crossroads, like 2 likud majorities away from a transfer to police state nationalism that reorganizes elections to one-state poo poo

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

The math certainly is easy to do when you're making up whatever numbers you feel like.

Basically what I'm learning reading this thread

poo poo gets made up, and clawing the discussion back from it gets made reliably tedious, especially if only then do people start nitpicking about whether the things that were made up matter

If anything rerails poo poo here it should strongly caution against repeating the tendency later. I want to learn poo poo about what's actually happening in Gaza so I'm better prepared when it comes up with people in real life who are hideously uninformed about the cruelty of the reprisal attacks, and when it becomes a crapshoot over whether a fact or figure is testably accurate or gut-feelingsed hyperbole, well

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

rkd_ posted:

I don’t want to be a conspiracy theorist but if Israel really wanted to prevent something like this from happening they’d have done about 1000 things differently. October 7 gave Netanyahu an excuse to act and the grabbed it with both hands and then some.

Gonna say here that this assumes way, way, way too much competence on the part of israel and especially likud. The attacks were entirely representative of security, policy and leadership failures of the israeli government, which are extra horrifying because they mix in with israel's other spectacular issues, like how their cruel lovely policies to the Palestinians set them up for this and that they have no loving clue how to respond to it without going overtly genocidal and smashing through gaza and again converting their society to nationalist race purifiers

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kchama posted:

That's not the guy who made the slogan saying that was his intent (he's dead, so he can't contribute right now), but a spokesperson trying to defend it.

the slogan means "the jews, the"

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

There is no contradiction in thinking that israel is a nazilike state operating under a leadership regime and zionist ideology of blood-and-soil nationalism and racial hierarchy justified by a mythologized history that has an explicit goal of the ethnic cleansing of the subaltern from a place they have decided is rightfully theirs and also thinking that the israeli IDF that exists in the actual world today cannot maintain a long-term occupation of the Gaza strip, or even north Gaza, for a variety of reasons, not least of which being that they don't have the capacity to succeed against the type of guerilla warfare that Hamas is engaged in.

i aint seeing poo poo that tells me israel cant succeed against hamas. they seem just as primed to win the long game and demolish and starve gaza one dead child at a time till its defaco IDF control

i think people need to really reassess how and why they're convincing themselves israel is on the back foot

quote:

I think modern guerilla warfare in dense urban environments is something that no one has figured out an actual, practical answer to.

this question only counts for occupying forces that are actively unwilling to do so without total population displacement and/or demolishing the area to rubble. they're trying to figure out how to do that without givin em the grozny

israel has its answer

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

No state has an unlimited capacity for war or occupation, and it's yet to be seen if israel can actually fully depopulate Gaza.

yeah and? that's the whole thing. It's Yet To Be Seen, and nobody's got a compelling argument that israel can't just actually succeed at eliminating gaza, so as the total death toll for Palestinians reaches breathtakingly bloody new heights i am less interested than ever in the analysis coming out rooted in the soothing conviction that israel is critically faltering and that their goals are not practically accessible, and i'm gonna stay real concerned about palestinean advocacy groups drifting into those narratives easier and easier as israel's campaign continues to work and prove how little meaningful will exists to stop it

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

You're talking about two different things here

if we're talking about this

quote:

thinking that the israeli IDF that exists in the actual world today cannot maintain a long-term occupation of the Gaza strip, or even north Gaza, for a variety of reasons, not least of which being that they don't have the capacity to succeed against the type of guerilla warfare that Hamas is engaged in.

my answer is:

don't think that

that is the open question. likud was probably all ready to go before the attacks with a plan to divide and depopulate sectionally first to incorporate under idf control, then jumped on the attacks as justification to begin.

so you watch what happens to north gaza first

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I think "depopulate sectionally" is different from "incorporate under IDF control". I think the first is possible and the second, probably not.

if they take an entire section of gaza and cleanse the entire Palestinian population out with stern warnings and/or bomb murder, then lock it away from re-entry, it is incorporated, it is under IDF control, and the new question we'll bother with is carefully crafted belief that the process (for some reason or other) can't then be repeated for the remaining fraction of the land that is still considered palestinean gaza

i am coming away from this with even less faith in proclamations about what israel supposedly can't accomplish or what kinds of guerilla methods are unsolvable gordian knots for an increasingly brutal israel

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

bitchmade isn't even the right label for that poo poo, they're war fuckboys doing neo-brownshirt shitbirdery

now on the other hand, ben gvir's crowd of political friends, all out there online proudly celebrating the arab cosplay hitmen squads because likid's weak poo poo ruling coalition gives them a hall pass to be horny for genocide? PURE bitchmade. 100% little meat syndrome

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Maybe this thread needs to be closed for a short while or returned to stricter scrutiny

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

HouseofSuren posted:

The article itself is an overton window shift in the conversation

HouseofSuren posted:

Israeli classic, whataboutism.

HouseofSuren posted:

This is a really weird post. I never saw or heard the word tankie before I had come to Something Awful, which is full of western agents like Vile Rat

HouseofSuren posted:

You're purposely being obtuse.

HouseofSuren posted:

This conversation is gish gallop.

i'd have an easier time with a spontaneous contrarianism safari act showing up and swiftly getting to work at unwinding a whole page of discussion if it least had the decency to not come from a 1 day old obvious rereg. welp looks like team me is taking off againnnnnnnnnₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙₙ

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

not a value-add posted:

Also as someone else pointed out, what is the piracy part of this supposed to be? Aren’t you supposed to get money from piracy?

you're attempting to get money from piracy, but nothing stops a campaign of opportunistic piracy from turning up dismal returns

either now or before appended anti-genocide intents were a part of the campaign

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

not a value-add posted:

I just don’t think this really passes the sniff test. Nobody fires a cruise missile in some boneheaded attempt to do what, steal shipping containers? It just defies logic.

if you have cruise missiles and you got the blessing to gently caress poo poo up in the region in general why wouldn't you use them is what would defy logic

'take potshots and hope to get some kind of a disabling or surrender situation' sure beats what opportunity piracy gets up to when all they have is small boats and guns and still go at it hard

quote:

What’s so crazy about an attempt to smash up a bunch of Israeli boats? Hell I’ve seen Americans do the exact same thing. Hit the wrong thing? Well sometimes you get bad intel and they were probably up to no good anyway!

yup

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Jaxyon posted:

ACORN'd but without even the lazy scam video.

besides the whole thing where israel just decides that full-blown violent ethnic cleansing of the palestinians is just something they get to do, the way they did this UNRWA poo poo feels to me like that israel's decades and decades of using their free hall pass for genocide and violent reprisal completely dissolved their ABILITY to bother with offering real evidence or justification for the poo poo they do. like, in this case they don't care and so they haven't even bothered, but they also just lost the capacity to not make this look like total obvious bullshit, and it really shows the second they start trying to offer their version of evidence. like the ACORN comparison is spot on, because the whole op feels exactly as cynical and shoddy as literally project veritas, but this time representing a whole nation

so they're flashing that hall pass (and it works, none of their opposition worldwide even matters enough to stop the current campaign) but they're doing it in a way which could cash out the whole ecosystem they made for themselves that muted any effective opposition, and then they'll find that all the institutional muscles they're supposed to use for believable PR are just completely atrophied away

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

it has weirdly escaped notice how lovely egypt's government is and how this plays into the execution-en-masse of the gaza population but yeah their primary concern in all this is "how do we end up with as little of this riff-raff in OUR borders"

like playing a little balancing act of finding the appropriate level of cover your rear end appearances which still keeps as many Palestinians out

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kalit posted:

Is this in response to me? If so, I can guarantee that much more than 50% of us in D&D think Israel has gone too far. Which ties into my point of D&D being much more left than the general populace.

Are there even posters still arguing israel hasnt gone too far yet

Not a trap question or any similar antics, just been busy and havent chanced across anything like that for a while

So i don't know what you could measure pro israel here as a percentage

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

'Soldiers “took rugs, blankets, [and] kitchen utensils,” and explained that there was no briefing on the matter from the army either before entering or while in the field. “There was zero talk about it from the commanders,” he said. “Everyone knows that people are taking things. It’s considered funny — people say: ‘Send me to The Hague.’ It doesn’t happen in secret. The commanders saw, everyone knows, and no one seems to care.”'

sitting here hoping someone finds a washing machine looting video so we can make the professional naked imperialism mashup

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Paladinus posted:

Has Israel stopped reporting on losses or is there just not much going on resembling an armed conflict anymore? Could it be that Hamas is already essentially neutralised, as in they don't have enough resources to pose any real short/mid-term danger to Israel?

there's one complication that adds to the greater mystery of if hamas is neutralized, and its mostly about how it pretty much doesn't matter if they're neutralized or not

because israel is determined enough to just cleanse the land and salt the earth that they could keep going on in spite of any long term concerns it piles unsustainably on the state of israel

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Paladinus posted:

It clearly doesn't matter to Israel, that is known. However, should Hamas leadership make a statement that they basically don't have any troops left, even the US wouldn't be able to justify continuing the campaign in any capacity. Mission accomplished, go home already.

Feels like a distinct underestimating of israel's lobby for the war to continue as long as their right wing wants it to

The best direct comparison is the US deciding "mission accomplished" doesn't mean no more wmd's or anything, it means however long we like. Or generations of Eastern European history i guess, but the point is is that whether there's any Hamas resistance anywhere should be considered potentially (and likely) irrelevant to the goal of ethnic cleansing and incorporation

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FieryBalrog posted:

The Westerner cries out in pain as he strikes you.

God the absolute loving fullbore irony of the origin of this quote being thrown as part of a moral broadside attempt

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

socialsecurity posted:

I can't seem to find the article this guy wrote anywhere.

was this an emergency scrubbing, did they scrap it faster than the tom cotton op ed or what's up with it

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

the one time in my life yall can crack a "thank u for your service" out my lips for anyone

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

In Israel, we are all democratic. Some of us are more democratic than others though

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

OctaMurk posted:

Seems to me that Netanyahu can hang on as long as the war goes on, and he knows it so hes gonna keep it going.

yeah thats a familiar loving play

thing he doesn't get about it is the damage he's doing is gonna gently caress up israel more, but probably in a way which keeps militant radicals like him in power to gently caress the nation up more

but gently caress if he cares

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Grip it and rip it posted:

Anyone got a clue why Russia and China would veto the UN ceasefire proposal?

To kick in an exciting period of rationalization

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I dont know what kind of past life atrocities strain your karma enough that you wake up and find yourself conscripted to moderate this thread but whatever your past life did esran shame on then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Szarrukin posted:

good to see this thread hasn't changed a bit.

good starter post for page 666 of an israel/palestine conflict thread, truly one of the most cursed harmonic convergences in existence