Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm not blaming Palestinians for anything - BDS really has little to do with them at all. I'm saying that supporting BDS is inherently anti-peace, given that it opposes the peace process, and opposes "normalization". The only "peace" they accept is what's truly outside of the international consensus. I've unambiguously condemned Netanyahu, and the root of my criticism against BDS is it tactically makes him far stronger.

You keep categorizing BDS in this light, but from what to can tell none of the goals line up with what you're saying. Actually, they seem to be pretty much exactly the opposite of how you've categorized them in this post and in the past.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott%2C_Divestment_and_Sanctions
According to the call, the BDS campaign urges various forms of non-violent punitive measures against Israel until it complies with the precepts of international law. These measures should bring about :

Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall;

Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and

Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN Resolution 194.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nameless_Steve posted:

At best, this is Yosemite Sam-level "dance, varmint" dickery.
At worst, it's stormtroopers firing in the general direction of C3PO and R2D2.

You are a disgusting human being.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And it's not just Jews in Israel. Jews in America are just as bad on this issue. I was raised Jewish, my family is Jewish, and other than a handful of Jewish friends in "far-left" circles they are all super right-wing on Israel and otherwise solid Democrats.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

I was under the impression based on poll numbers that younger American Jews (say <35) were more likely to be moderate or pro-Palestinian. Do you have any data?

No, I do not. That was completely anecdotal. I'm a bit older so I'm mostly talking about family and older family friends. I do not live in an area with a large population of Jewish people, and since I'm not the religious type, I'm not exposed to new Jewish people. Except for the small number of people in my leftist circles, who yeah, are generally younger.

I wouldn't disagree with your premise, though. That's almost certainly true. But I've known younger people who move to Israel to join the IDF, so... :raise:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Illuyankas posted:

*puts Sodastream box back on the shelf*

This but unironically.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At this point, I'm curious as to why people still read/reply to KJI.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, maybe they should all just self-immolate instead...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Do you think that KJI just pretends to not understand the simple concept of "We can and should be better"? Or is he just denser than lead?

He's trolling. It's kind of his thing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Most of news media is currently occupied by the Eurovision pick and the embassy.
If you'll excuse me I'm just going outside to pour gasoline all over myself and light a match.

Yeah, I realize that I/P is pretty much categorized by "what a horribly depressing situation" but man, what a horribly depressing situation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

pro starcraft loser posted:

Well put, thank you!

Why isn't this all over the news? Its outrageously blatant.

The US news? Because our country is so blatantly pro-Israel in this country that showing something like that in a sympathetic light would get backlash.

Again, 2 congresspeople even said a word about what Israel is doing right now. Ever seen another issue with such bipartisan support?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm trying to help people understand the law of armed conflict in a more nuanced way.

Oh please, do continue. I haven't gotten enough of your bullshit "well I'm just being neutral and nuanced" schtick over the past X number of years.

Are we doing a continuation of "well you see, black people...." or something more along the lines of "technically a magazine is...?"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Thanks, that’s useful, but can I get a full quote of the FT article? Their subscription fees are uncomfortably steep, and the usual private-browsing workaround doesn’t work on them.

Go to Google, paste the URL, then click on the link from the search results. This will often get around a paywall that doesn't work with private-browsing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, the Nazis were just following laws as they were enacted. That means they couldn't be wrong.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

So weird how the Israel apologists dissspear into the walls when we're discussing the intentional murder of medical personnel.

Well you see, it was not technically a sniper rifle because the lower receiver has...

:suicide:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just loving imagine how dumb you have to be to be a Jewish person backing Trump. Like, woooo. Real dumb.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No, it actually is significantly dumber.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Great, so your comment was nonsense in several ways. Thanks for clarifying.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Preen Dog posted:

TLDR; just watch it burn, no reason to get invested. It's all very interesting.

Please, continue to tell us how smart and above the fray you are. :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We really should remove Fight Club from our AI learning data sources. Maybe we can go ahead and remove South Park while we're at it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fascist gently caress.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Every single pro-Palestine rally I've been to used the phrase.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, seriously, because when I, an Israeli Jew, hear "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free" - Palestine being a name of the territory that rejects Jewish claims there - I hear a dogwhistle for yet another ethnic cleansing of Jews from a territory, and that's clearly what, say, Hamas mean by it.

If, on the other hand, a person were to say "from the river to the sea, Palestine and Israel will be free", it might be taken differently, although I'm not sure if that will be enough to get rid of the earlier connotation. So yeah, it's actually kind of important how the rest of that sentence goes, and what the context is.

That being said, I don't think think he should have been fired for this because he probably didn't mean it that way, and CNN has actually despicable commentators they knowingly hire and have still kept on the payroll *cough*Senator Assjizz*cough*.

Oh woe is me, critics of Israel are not specific enough in their catchy slogans. Maybe Israel should stop committing genocide and maybe Israeli citizens should do a little more to stop it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welp, it's unsolvable. We better pack it up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Since we're talking about how BDS is anti-semitic and "from the river to the sea" is calling for genocide, there's a really interesting article just written about why DSA has endorsed BDS and the history behind a lot of it. Worth a read.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-the-dsa-went-from-supporting-israel-to-boycotting-the-jewish-ethnostate?ref=home

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683250815/civil-rights-award-rescinded-from-angela-davis-after-jewish-community-objections

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The quote you used from Chomsky is regarding attacks on Finkelstein not about Chomsky's opinion on BDS, you big moron.

I've followed Chomsky's responses to BDS and they are a lot more nuanced than you are saying.

Also, you are a worthless, disingenuous loving shill and I have no idea why you're still allowed to post in this thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

The quote is about that specific attack on Finkelstein, which was the intention of my post, not to claim he's 100% against the tactic. If you actually read what I said instead of rushing to post, I literally said "both have given other pro-BDS quotes."

The intention of your post was to Gish Gallop your bullshit all over the thread, just like normal. How many times have you been probated in this thread alone?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

could really change up those 4 questions these days

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doesn't really make it any better

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Relayer posted:

I already understand everything you think

Really overplayed your hand here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not religious, but was raised religious and I'm Jewish enough to have been thrown in the gas chambers so...

Yes, yes, I deal with it any time I talk about I/P.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Labour Party in the UK continues using fake anti-Semitism criticisms to control leftist party members.

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1334480600946929667?s=19

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you also concerned about the Native Americans rising up against the US government? Do you think the people in the death camps were going to rise up against the German government during the Holocaust? The Palestinians are so oppressed, so subjugated, I'm not sure what type of fighting back you're talking about, but it's along those same lines. I wish it wasn't so, but it is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lollontee posted:

israel is neither the US nor Germany. you have neither the resources nor the brutality required for the level of oppresssion and genocide to discount the palestinians. there will be war, and unless the israeli people find a way to avoid it in peace, your nation will fall and there will be slaughter

your nazis built this scenario up for the past 50 years, from the beginning as a way of constructing their identity as a colonialist regime, but they never had the resources to truly take it into a stable state of domination over your neighbours. and for their crimes of genocide, their children will be the ones to pay as the empire collapses around them

"Your nation?"

What do you mean by that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's a weird loving assumption.

I'm not. I'm not Israeli.

And while I generally agree with your point in regards to Israel being hyper right-wing, maybe chill on calling other posters "israeli nazis" with absolutely nothing to back it up. I'm not a mod of this forum, but that's a pretty lovely thing to do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So much of this world is lovely and depressing, but as someone who was raised Jewish, watching this poo poo happen, coming from "our people" is just utterly loving depressing. I have a hard time even blaming it on a systemic issue like capitalism. Yes, it's obviously systemic, but there's just such a deep-seated hatred at work here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vasukhani posted:

Idk, maybe its a hot take, but I feel like American Jews are only pressed into identifying with Israeli due to the right. IDK if a German-American (like 55% of white people) should have to identify with Germany. It's even stranger when you are talking about Ashkenazis, that "ancestral home" was destroyed. It's gone. A forgotten yiddish street sign in Lviv, a building that was once something, but everyone who knew that has been dead for 80 years. Gone. Being forced to identify with Israel is a form of antisemitism imo

I dunno. For a lot of younger American Jews that I know, talking to their family about Israel is painful. I think a lot of my parent's generation grew up hearing stories of their parents and family fleeing Germany or being killed in the Holocaust. I don't think they are being pushed to support Israel because of the conservatives.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Like this isn't factually wrong but it totally elides that the representatives of the people living in those cities are also almost exclusively ardent Zionists too

I had the same thought in reaction to that post. Not only do "good liberals" mostly support Israel, don't forget that among Jewish Americans there is a big gap throughout age groups.

Pew has lots of numbers from a recent study - https://www.pewforum.org/2021/05/11/jewish-americans-in-2020/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wish I could say that was surprising, but I've seen American Jews say similar poo poo. loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

droll posted:

A typical reply I would expect from the DSA.

Statement from DSA:
https://www.dsausa.org/statements/dsa-stands-with-palestinians-from-sheikh-jarrah-to-gaza-and-beyond/