Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The Contra/Probotector thing was due to German censorship, rather than UK or anyone else, and of course it was just easier to have all of Europe get the censored version. Having humans defend Earth against an alien invasion is bad, but watching robots go to war against said alien bastards is A-Okay.
German censors are also the reason why they couldn't call the tracks and characters from House of the Dead in the Sonic and the All-Stars Racing games as being from House of the Dead. They were part of the "Curien Mansion" games instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Recently started replaying CV (I know, shoot me), and it got to the "Steve is suffering." moment. So of course I just muted the game and watched him helplessly smash his hands against the door while listening to this for some ungodly reason.

You are a sick and twisted person, and I laughed way more at the mental image that popped up in my head than I really should have done. Thank you.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

REmake is ostensibly a rewrite to try (keyword: try) and shore up a lot of the discrepancies that 2, 3 and CV introduced, as well as to make a little more sense of some of the more ridiculous elements (you see, the mansion isn't a disparate collection of items and puzzles because it's a videogame, it's because the mansion designer is craaaaazy!)
The concept of someone explaining to the builders that they want a secret door to only open when Moonlight Sonata is played perfectly on the piano is always amusing to me.

Also, it gives me an excuse to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDedpreZH-0

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

REmake is possibly the one RE game in which I consciously have to stop myself from blasting everything on sight early on, simply because I know drat well that there's nowhere near enough kerosene to burn every corpse and that the handgun is a pathetic pea-shooter that doesn't even faze a V-ACT.

Is there enough if you do the trick of having all zombies in a room die on top of each other so that burning one burns all of them with only one use?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Also British, and I occasionally watch whenever I have time.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Tofu Survivor posted:

Some of these achievements are sheer lunacy too. Beat the game without healing once? That's about a million times worse than beating the game without using FAS's for A rank. Even tanking poo poo with Billy that'll be a chore. Why don't I just solve world hunger while I'm at it?

Naga I can't wait until you get to 0 so the rest of the goons can see what a wet fart the gameplay is.

I did all the RE0 achievements. It wasn't too hard to do the no healing one if you've A-ranked the Leech Hunter mode first. Also, you could probably use Wesker Mode to make it even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Tofu Survivor posted:

Oh you can do that? I figured they'd block achievements if you tried to do it that way. I'm not even sure I can do the former though. I never could on the Gamecube.

They don't block them on the Steam version. I had played through the game about 3 times in succession before attempting the no heal run, so I knew the route and the key areas with big monsters and dangerous ambushes, not to mention tricks like leaving the room when certain enemies will explode and going back in safe and sound. Plus, I saved after every big encounter, which meant if I got touched, I could reload. The main special weapon does make the game a hell of a lot easier, and unlike RE2 won't penalise you on your final rank.

• Locked thread