Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I'm going to claim the USS Essex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Are there any plans to move more men and materiel to Chungking as a decapitation strike against the KMT, or is it mostly invested as a method of keeping Chinese reinforcements and supplies bottled up while your other armies mop up the rest of the country? I bet having control of all of China could allow GH to garrison strongpoints with massive forces or perhaps to roll over most of India.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Yeah I can see Japan landing on one of the Aleutians without triggering the Third Army but there's no way the US would take an invasion of, I don't know, anything on the mainland anywhere east or south of some point out past Anchorage without flipping the gently caress out and deploying an army to squash them. Heaven knows what the partisans would have been like, too.

(We do have some historical precedent in the Battle of Attu, but that was the furthest out and the Americans satisfied themselves with a 5:1 response...)

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 24, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

In an alternate history, that stunt probably gets Tokyo nuked come 1945~

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

I get the feeling the moment that failchance hits 50% or so the entire IJN is going to be sunk.

Yep. Right now, the destroyers suck but so do the torpedoes. Two years from now, the destroyers will still suck. The torpedoes...?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Those were both good kills. Corfu was over 14,000 GRT, and Shirala nearly 8,000. Plus, the original Shirala (1901) was torpedoed and sunk, so the Shirala (1925) joining it in Davy Jones' Locker after being torpedoed and sunk seems appropriate.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Great kills, but of Great War-vintage battleships. Hopefully they bring something newer and more impressive to the next lopsided drubbing you have to give out.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Alright! And I hope you get Lexington, too.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Velius posted:

Did you try to invade Darwin with 300 men?

THIS. IS. NIPPON!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

RA Rx posted:

Dang. When was that?
(Irony?)

Irony for sure. Singapore was supposed to be invincible from the sea, so the Japanese dispensed with the bad idea of a direct naval invasion entirely and instead came in through the Malay Peninsula. Lieutenant-General Arthur Percival saw this coming all the way back in 1937. However, he was unsuccessful in defending Singapore and capitulated to a theoretically smaller force. This infuriated Churchill and made Percival persona non grata in British circles, but to be honest I'm not sure whether he really had a shot at defending against the Japanese.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 14, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Why would the Queen Mary be chilling, empty way the gently caress out there? The AI is dumb as hell.

68 points is more than a heavy cruiser, IIRC.

She could transport an entire division's worth of men at a time; her record, which I believe still stands, is 16,082 passengers (not including crew) across the Atlantic in one voyage.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Let's sink her and find out.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Oof. Brutal day for the allies today. Nice work!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Any chance that the troops in Yunnan can swing north into Sichuan and help take out Chungking? That'd really crush the Chinese defence and free up so much forces for other uses.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

TENNOHEIKA BANZAI! :japan:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

When do the Iowa-class vessels arrive? Are they as horrifying as I expect they will be?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Out of curiosity, how many points would it earn Grey to wipe out the Chinese in Chunking and take the city?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Awwwwwww :shobon:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Shieldless mounts with lousy ammo supply, slow traverse, and a crew of 9 for 3x25mm. That's what you get when you just plunk down guns wherever they'll fit; gun shields would be too much extra topweight, and the ammo has to come from far away. That mount can't be much lighter than a twin 40mm and once the ready use ammunition is gone, it is just sitting there until someone brings up a few more rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcBW2r8-abk

You should probably have saved this for a year or two down the road...

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Were all the screens just asleep or something? The Sims strolls up, tags a fleet carrier, and then saunters off as though nothing had happened? Geez.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Grandfather did ASW in the Atlantic in WW2 on one of our shittastic Flower-class corvettes. Great-grandfather spent two years fighting in the trenches (1917 and 1918) in France. He was at essentially every major engagement fought by Canada after Vimy Ridge, which he just barely missed. Grandpa never talked about the war or anything that happened in it. Great-grandpa died before I was born but apparently suffered from absolutely brutal PTSD for the rest of his life - like to the extent that his rural townsmen thought that he had literally been cursed by a wizard or some poo poo like that and arranged for some sort of exorcism or ritual involving a horse (yeah IDK either).

Recently found out I have a German side of the family. Three great-uncles and my great-great grandfather (who, at the time, was quite old - he also fought in WWI, apparently as some sort of trainer) all died in WWII. One great uncle died of disease, one in battle in Russia, one at an airbase in Germany (probably the victim of an air raid - though I guess he could have been a pilot; my records aren't that good). Not sure what happened to the great-great grandfather, other than that he died. It's pretty dark, since apparently they had some sort of major military tradition going back at least to when another ancestor was some sort of minor war hero in the Franco-Prussian war. Said tradition was ended abruptly along with the entire male line in WWII. gently caress you, Hitler.

E: The ones that didn't fight had interesting stories too. One of them was an innkeeper's daughter, married my trench warrior great-grandfather and moved back to rural Canada before having something like 15 kids. Their family apparently got to live in a house that was appropriated from a German. One of said kids, my grandmother, married ASW granddad after meeting him on leave and promptly took off across the country.

On the other side of the family, grandpa was only a boy as he watched his hometown of Rotterdam get obliterated by Nazi aerial bombardment and somehow spent the rest of the war as a ward of some sort of Nazis in Austria for some weird reason or another. He claims to have been a staunch anti-Nazi even then and to have acted out at parades and the like; I'm skeptical. His father apparently shielded Jews during the war and eventually ended up adopting a couple. Grandma lived in the south of the Netherlands and spent four years under Nazi occupation, apparently sneaking out under barbed wire to steal potatoes and turnips out of fields so she wouldn't starve. Strangely, this early life experience did not lead to any degree of sympathy for refugees moving to Canada.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 30, 2017

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

professor_curly posted:

I'm starting to get echoes of the War in the East LP, to be honest.

Just wait... unlike in WitE, an Axis player of WitP faces an enemy that grows stronger and stronger regardless of your actions. There's no chance to put FDR on the ropes like you could with Stalin.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Duckaerobics posted:

Mobile (pronouced mo-bee-all) is a fairly large city in Alabama. I assume that's what the ship is named after.

It is on Mobile bay, which connects to the gulf of mexico, and is currently the production site for the controversial Independence class littoral combat ships.

Speaking of those, it absolutely blows my mind that shipbuilders are still running face first into problems with galvanic corrosion. Within ten years of the launch of the first iron-hulled warship (HMS Warrior), designs were already being pioneered to avoid the issue. HMS Inconstant used a clever system of wood furring to keep the copper and iron separate - in 1868. 150 years later, we apparently have forgotten these lessons.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

shalafi4 posted:

Did some digging since I used to work at a corrosion center.

The hulls are aluminum. Apparently some shipbuilding doof forgot that there aren't any salt water proof aluminum alloys.

Aluminum hulls have other challenges for warships, not least of which is that they apparently have an unfortunate tendency to melt and catch fire at significantly lower temperatures than steel. This has significant downsides e.g. when hit with an Exocet.

Needing to keep the ship painted is probably nothing new; my understanding is that modern vessels rely on specialized biocidal anti-fouling paints to keep sea life from colonizing below the waterline. It's the galvanic corrosion that's a real problem, as an aluminum-steel interface turns the steel into a sacrificial anode for the aluminum. Admittedly, missing a spot of anti-fouling paint doesn't normally seek out any non-isolated steel in the ship and rust it!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Amazing. 24 naval bombers can't land more than a single hit against a pair of heavy cruisers, but the Americans have no trouble sniping merchant ships with heavy level bombers from 10,000ft+. Well, here's hoping we get them tomorrow.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Don't you think it's time to give up on Noumea?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Oberndorf posted:

As groggy as this game is, what exactly is that simulating?

Sending a few distance observers and recon squads, one presumes, rather than a human wave.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Oh, what a savage loss! I hope you can find that carrier before it does more damage than it would be worth.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Do you have to tell them to Zigzag or what?

"Serpentine! Serpentine!"

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Whew. Taking out Essex would be another excellent success, but I'm honestly not sure how well it looks as a trade for a Japanese CVL. Sending 2,600 men, 100 aircraft and probably $100 million in ship and equipment to the bottom is another tremendous blow.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Jesenjin posted:

There is still tomorrow for more action.
But, even if the ship survives, it will out of action for few months, which is still a boon for Grey.

I want to see a sunken CV so badly

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

And another brigade of marines heads to the briny depths. Still no carrier - yet. We shall see.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Where'd that damned carrier go? We've got an Essex and a couple of BBs in the theatre and they seem to be hiding from the Kido Butai. Very frustrating.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Holy poo poo you people are young :corsair:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Lakedaimon posted:

I think I was reading some book about North Africa and during the chapter talking about the Italian army, it was stressed that the poor standard of education in the country was a primary reason they fared so poorly in battle. Something like ninety percent of soldiers conscripted from the countryside did not know the difference between left and right, and the underwhelming officer corps certainly wasnt up to the task of turning these raw recruits into quality fighting men. That figure always seemed a bit astonishing to me, but i'm from a much different world.

This feels a bit dubious to me. They're from the Italian countryside, not Middle-Earth. I'd understand certain difficulties with practical literacy and numeracy, or certain mathematical functions, but incapability to differentiate between left and right strains credulity.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Oh god.

They'll be back tomorrow, so I hope you have CAP up over your battleships. Also, do you have to be in Noumea's hex in order to bombard? I thought you could do it from an adjacent hex. And also also, maybe simultaneously do a troops-based bombardment?

So just when I thought Noumea couldn't become an even bigger overcommitment, GH sends Yamato, Musashi and a bunch of other battlewagons in. That's a hell of a limb you've gone out on, Croctopus. Let's hope it doesn't get sawn out from under you.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I know that one of Canada’s significant contributions in the Second World War was through its commonwealth pilot training program (BCATP), wherein we trained over 130,000 pilots. It cost us over a billion dollars, employed over 100,000 people, constructed over 8,000 buildings (700 of which were hangars), and generally involved the kind of tremendous effort that we so rarely see today.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Triggerhappypilot posted:

This is about as big as it gets. We've as good as lost the entire Kiddo Butai (the light/slow carrier force) and the air groups of the Kido Butai (the fast, large carriers) have been absolutely devastated by the strikes on the American fleet. Tomorrow we'll see if the Kido Butai can at least finish off the three american fleet carriers.

Not that it matters, in the long run; they'll get about 21 more.

Yeah. For those who are just checking in, it’s important to know that this game puts a great deal of effort into a commitment to realism. Thus, barring a stunningly improbable level of success - as in, the hinomaru flying from the flagstaffs in the downtowns of Chongqing, Bombay, Sydney and Auckland by the end of 1942 - Japan is going to lose.

It is fighting China, the British Empire and Commonwealth, France, the Netherlands, and the United States all at once, and all the while holding a mighty army in reserve to deter the Soviet Union. The United States alone has *ten times* Japan’s industrial output. It can come back from crushing naval and aerial defeats again and again and again, only to grow stronger each time. Japan can not.

Oh, one other thing. Not only are there more Americans, by the midpoint of the war, they are better. Their ships are higher-technology and better designed. Their pilots are better. Their airframes are better. Their engines are better. Their weapons are better. Their radar is better. Their damage control is better. Their marines are better. Their tanks are better. Their artillery is better.

Strategically, to win this battle, Japan would have to have sunk all three of the American fleet carriers without the loss of more than one of its own - and then, only one of the old and obsolete ones. And even in that case, Grey would have cause for concern.

As said above in another post, an even fight at the end of 1943 is an incredibly good result when compared to history. It is also, fundamentally and ultimately, a defeat.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 2, 2017

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

The foregoing was by no means an attempt to disrespect GH’s performance thus far. He has done, and still continues to do, vastly better than Japan managed in the actual Second World War. While Japan is doomed to failure in the end, a performance this good would probably change the course of history; the far heavier Chinese and American losses could have implications to postwar geostrategy that I am not qualified to evaluate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

farraday posted:

Not gonna lie, I immediately started scanning your bookshelf to judge you.

Seriously? I just liked the cute kid. :3: Even if he no longer looks like he deserves the name SOVIET RESPONSE.