Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Got any sources? Sounds like an interesting story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are there not any land-based aircraft near there that we could attack the carrier with? Where are the Betties?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:thumbsup:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

Also, looking at the victory screen, what's a Strategic Loss (the category where both sides have zero points still)?

Pretty sure its strategic bombing. Unsurprisingly, the Allies can get a lot of points from this later in the game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Where are GH's Betties? I remember those being a big factor for the Japanese in the original LP but we haven't seen them doing much so far. I asked this a little while ago and I think the answer was they were mysteriously not flying sorties. I guess that's still going on?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

alex314 posted:

I remember during your Allies run japanese long range naval bombers were deadly. Why we don't see your Betties decimate enemy shipping?

The world wonders.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

He didn't say the surprise would necessarily be today, but this hasn't exactly been the most action-packed LP so I dunno what you guys really expected.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:thumbsup:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Awesome. No Enterprise sighted means it probably sank overnight, right?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mikl posted:

Today I learned something interesting, by checking out the USS Washington on Wikipedia: the main turret of the North Carolina class, of which Washington is one, isn't actually bolted to the hull, but rather held in place by its weight. This is no problem during normal operation, but should the ship capsize the turret would fall right out.

I wanna say this is true for all battleships but I'm not sure.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, it makes sense, it's just a weird image (to me at least) that the turret's not anchored to anything. I logically know that if the ship is turned upside down you've got much bigger problems than your turrets falling out, but it just seems wrong that the main thing differentiating a battleship from a very strangely designed freighter isn't actually bolted on anywhere.

:shrug: The containers on freighters aren't bolted down either. They fall off fairly often.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The new graphs are completely unreadable.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Nah you can rationalize it all you want, it's terrible and unreadable.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I mean I understand it on an intellectual level but it's still bad. :shrug: Let's not pretend this is anywhere close to the best or most intuitive way to present this info. Someone did a mockup of a non-lovely version at some point earlier in the thread but :effort:.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the deal with the CVB?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

V for Vegas posted:

lmao, you come at the king you best not miss.

:golfclap:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dangeresque posted:

I have a game related question. When there are damaged enemy bombers do any of them not make it back to base but crash within the fog of war? or is what you see what you get?

So for example is five damaged liberators really four damaged and one that had to ditch in the Pacific, or does the game not work that way. It seems weird to me for the game to under sell the number of downed enemy given that in the real war the claimed air to air victories always seem to be about double what was actually shot down.

Given who we're playing as I would think that the game would claim twenty bombers shot down for every ten sent over by the enemy.

I think they can crash on the way home and the game records them as operational losses. This is commonly seen when a carrier goes down and its airgroup has to ditch.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What's to be disheartened about? His ship was attacked by kamikazes and it was in combat during an important time in World War 2, there's plenty to be proud of. It's not like he was some rear end in a top hat who wrote a book 50 years after the war about how lovely the Sherman is without any actual evidence other than "I used to see Sherman tanks with holes in them quite a bit, cause I was a mechanic."

Is this a thing that happened or just a really random example of a weird claim to make about war service?

Re: grandpa chat, two stories:

My friend's grandma's first husband was a bombardier on a Liberator. He died on a mission to bomb Dortmund or Dusseldorf or some other German city that started with a D. We went to visit my friend's grandma and her neighbor is an amateur historian who did a bunch of research and put together this amazing binder with everything he could find about her husband's war service and his last mission. It started with like his training records and a couple articles from the local paper about him going off to war, then had a bunch of technical documents about the Liberator he flew on and how its bomb sight worked. There were flight plans of the mission he flew and records/pictures of all of the other guys on his plane. Apparently they were over the target and had their bombs armed, then got strafed by a dude in an Fw-190 who got a lucky hit that caused the whole bomber to explode in mid air. They never recovered the bodies - there wasn't really anything left - but the crew were "buried" after the war by some German guys. The neighbor managed to get in touch with some guys that go leave flowers on the grave, who dug up some German records about the mission to intercept the bombers, and in turn the records of the pilot who got the kill. He died a week later in a landing accident when his Fw-190's landing gear wouldn't deploy. The binder was an amazing piece of amateur history. I think I have some pictures of it if anyone is interested.

My great grandpa was a Seabee who fought in the Pacific. He was a civil engineer who worked on dams before the war, so when he was drafted he was given the job of leading the teams that set up artificial harbors to bring in the second wave of troops. He went ashore with first wave of Marines on Guadalcanal, Tulagi, Tarawa and a few other places. He was awarded the Silver Star.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Personally I don't like VLPs at all. I read LPs like on lunch breaks at work or while I'm on my phone. If I have enough time to sit down and watch a video then I'm just going to play a game. I would happily read another screenshot LP by you but wouldn't watch videos. I have no idea if this is a common sentiment or if people like videos.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That must have been a huge tanker.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Would it be possible to load some old saves and see how far back the problem goes?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Love the new graphs. :discourse:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Coucho Marx posted:

This sounds like a good time to ask people to find and read Shattered Sword (if everyone here hasn't already). It's a superb book that really gets into the myriad problems Japan had in planning and operating the war in the Pacific; from faulty campaign plans to personality clashes, problematic officer culture and damage control procedures; from risky ship design and function to difficult deck operations and distractable CAP pilots; from poor scouting and battle plans to command indecision; all the way down to intelligence failures and plain bad luck. The authors go out of their way to use mostly Japanese sources to get the most accurate view of the events as possible, and the minute-by-minute playback of events as they unfold is at the same time exhilarating, fascinating, and absolutely heart-wrenching, knowing that it resulted in the pointless and avoidable deaths of thousands

I don't read much, of anything, ever. I have only a passing interest in WW2, and no particular interest in the Pacific theatre.

I have read this book four times.

Seconding this. The book is fascinating and extremely readable. I would be surprised if someone reading this thread did not enjoy it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any land-based air in range of Jaluit? I know Kwajalein was a fairly big base irl, are there Betties there that could be helping control the sea lanes around Jaluit?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

You know, I've been doing these for over a year now

Thanks for doing this, I enjoy reading them. :thumbsup:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I asked this before but I think it got stuck at the bottom of a page: why isn't there more land-based air around the Marshalls? Seems like it could really be a threat to the allies with how many resources they are devoting to this campaign.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This was probably a bad decision but I picked up WitP during the sale. Out of curiosity, how long does the average turn take?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fperson1 posted:

Welp, I went and bought the game. Once the semester ends I'll have to dive in and see just how bad the UI actually is.

It's bad. I just got the game and even after reading for years about how bad it is in GH threads, I'm a little surprised. Everything seems to be buried multiple menus deep. Also the interface is a little laggy. I haven't played too much yet so hopefully I'll get used to it with time.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

pthighs posted:

You have to pass the right command line args in to fix the laggy issue. I'm phone posting but I can follow up later with them if no one else gets to it first.

Grog games - where undocumented secrets are needed to make a game even functional.

I tried a few I found online but without much success. It'd be awesome if you could post the ones that work for you when you get a chance.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

pthighs posted:

Here's what I have: -wd -skipVideo -multiaudio -cpu2 -pxf1440 -pyf900 -altFont -dd_sw

the pxf and pxy arguments let you specify the size of the window if you don't want full screen. It's nice to play in a large window so you still have access to your desktop for other stuff/pilot training spreadsheets.

I believe the dd_sw is the big one for UI lag - it uses software emulation for DirectDraw. I literally can't remember what some of the others are.

I think you said you are on a Mac? If so, I have no idea if these will work for you or not.

Thanks, this is super helpful. I'm trying to get it running on both my Mac and my PC (would rather play on the former but the latter is a fallback option), so I'll try these on both and see if it helps on either.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

Where is the land based air to kill carriers that just wander into the Java Sea? The World Wonders.

Really wondering this, and have been for months now. Japanese land-based air has appeared only very rarely and the lack of Betties covering the sea lanes seems to have finally come home to roost. :negative:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

How about a goon vs goon LP of WITP where there is a goon in command of each branch and nation :psyboom:

This idea kinda owns and I wish I had enough time to do it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Woodchip posted:

Australia loves to burn fuel, doesn't it. Can turning stockpiling on stop my fuel depots from turning into supply?

I’ve read that the best move is use one of Noumea/Auckland/Suva as your main fuel hub, since mainland Australia/Sydney will convert it into supplies that you don’t need.

I’m just starting out a campaign and would be curious to know how you got your logistics convoys started. I’ve read that generally what you want to do for fuel/supplies is route your convoys through a South Pacific base like Pago Pago for a quick refueling stop before unloading at wherever you’re keeping your fuel. But at the start of the campaign, there obviously isn’t enough fuel at Pago Pago to do this. Is the idea to send tankers to, like, Noumea, offload fuel, refuel from what you just dropped off to get back to LA, and meanwhile have local routes set up to start building up the fuel supply at Pago Pago?

This game seems amazing but very overwhelming at the start. I used the sample turn 1 orders spreadsheet that that dude made on the Matrix forums but moving beyond that into the first week of the war is a steep learning curve.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I spend a huge amount of my time in this game so far managing whether task forces are docked or not. Even when there is plenty of room at a port, task forces don't always seem to dock when I tell them to go drop stuff off and come back. When the port is overloaded, it becomes a days-long juggling effort.

Is there any way to make this less of a pain in the rear end? I figure it might get better with time as I can start organizing my logistics better, making ports less overloaded. It's only 12/24/41 in my game as the Allies, so there's a lot of frantic movement with whatever ships I have on hand in a given area. I assume things will settle down eventually, and ports will be larger by then. But even so, ships not docking when the port isn't overloaded and the task force is set to unload is a mystery to me.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 17, 2018

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Woodchip posted:

So ive dumped all the Singapore reinforcements and aussies I toBurma. I’m sure I can totally hold Rangoon.

Same here - all of the various convoys to Singapore at the start got redirected to Rangoon. Considered evacuating some guys from Singapore itself to help the defense but decided that would be too gamey. I’ve also been shoveling as much supply into Rangoon as I can before Japanese air raids make it too hairy to get any transports in. I’m 3 weeks into the war and the enemy hasn’t started pushing in Burma yet - very curious if it’ll be enough to hold.

Are you planning to try and hold them at Pegu? Or make your defense in Rangoon itself?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Woodchip posted:

I’m in April and have been pushed out of Pegu. I’m holding in Rangoon so far but lost Prome.

Supply is holding out and I’m using crappy akls to drop in supply one at a time.

Buying out the flying tigers and every spitfire I can has kept me ahead in the air. Beware that some spits get withdrawn...those that are get put on sweep duty the week before they go.

Where are you getting Spitfires for Rangoon? I’ve got the 3 Flying Tiger squadrons in Rangoon and so far they’ve done a good job protecting the ships with CAP and LRCAP.

While we are on the subject, I need to get some modern fighters to Australia and then to Moresby. As far as I can tell there isn’t a decent squadron for CAP in the whole continent at the start of the game. I’ve got 3 groups of P-39s heading to Sydney from LA, which should help in the short term. I notice that Pearl has a bunch of P-40s - would it be a terrible move to strip some of the fighters from Pearl and send them south, to either Australia or Noumea/Luganville? Pearl doesn’t seem to be under much air threat at all. Or will some decent fighters show up in-theater at some point, like those groups of Banshees do at the end of December?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

mllaneza posted:

my 44,000 or so troops

Is that just infantry or does it also include second-line troops? It's Jan. '42 in my game and I've got about 34,000 in Rangoon and its immediate vicinity, but under half of those are infantry. Are there many good armored units in India? I've got a couple armored units on the way in from Aden via Calcutta.

The IJA hasn't started its offensive yet but land-based air is already starting to chop up my convoys pretty bad, even with the Flying Tigers flying LRCAP. Last week Betties sank a troop convoy carrying like 8 or 10 thousand British troops on their way from Colombo.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sounds like my convoy debacle was worse than just about anything that happened in the real war, then. :v:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wow. Perfectly timed with yesterday's discussion of troop convoy fuckups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Death of the Katori is gonna be a major force multiplier for the IJN.

I’ve gotten to February 42 in my game and things are really starting to click. I dunno if the sale is still going but this game is actually pretty fun. The learning curve is the harshest I have ever encountered but behind the awful interface is a pretty amazing experience.