Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The better question, Grey, is what don't we eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Allied player doesn't do any industry stuff, right? They have the US economy backing them up.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

algebra testes posted:

What is the in game result of invading Japan? Lots of dead troops?

The Japanese don't get the same kind of free armies that the US does (if there's a Japanese landing on the mainland US, Patton and the third army spawn to kill it) so the Japanese player would have to move a bunch of his armies to defend VPs and his critical industry. It would be game over really fast if he lost enough of that, and the US has powerful armies that the Japanese have to stop in the naval part of the war.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Why they would bother with bat-bombs when they had regular old firebombs, who knows. Allied incendiary bombing is one of those subjects no one really likes to talk about.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

So how do you actually get supply? It's all built on Oil and shipping, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I guess they'll have to call the floating supermarket something else.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I guess you just have to fight like a bastard to hang onto that oil, protect the shipping lines, and stop US forces from making it over.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Have you considered, and this may be a radical idea, not flooding your overtaxed sea supply lines with hungry new soldiers?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Duckaerobics posted:

This isn't really the place for it, but those ships are a clusterfuck in a bunch of ways. The manufacturer is currently being sued because they had workers use giant circular saws to cut metal even the though the saw manufacturer says specifically not to do that. It has led to a bunch of people losing fingers/hands/arms, but is faster than doing it the right way.

Any time you see big corrosion problems post launch or a lot of injuries on the job, it's a clear sign of a corner-cutting and poorly-managed company. Sacrificial anodes are nothing new, and the grand fix Austal announced for their third ship was to actually use them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Wait, half a million soldiers in one city? What are they eating, each other?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I see that battleships are continuing their sterling record as mobile reef production vessels.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What's the most recent zoomed out view of China we have? Is Chungking the last holdout, or what?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Excellent, now that you have full squadrons you can empty out your pilot pools.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

How the gently caress are they hitting a patrol boat with level bombing from that high up? Is some game setting different or what?

I think it has to do with how witp does hit chances; I'm relatively sure that just dropping a lot of bombs give an unrealistically high chance of a hit on almost anything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

So now's the point where you cut off and starve that division for a few weeks, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The fools! They've killed the garrison down to where supplies are plentiful!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

eyyyy damage control

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

More than that, the T-34 was a tank designed around mass production, and the Soviets were ruthless about cost-cutting. Each individual tank didn't have to be a world-beater, they just had to be good enough-and even the earlier ones were let down more by logistical failures and poorly trained crews than they were by design flaws. The Panther, by contrast, was just far too expensive of a tank to have the design flaws that it did.

The T-34 was indeed designed for manufacturability, though it was a high performer first -- it completely changed the face of armored warfare and nothing the Germans had could stand up to it. It was nothing like the Sherman, though -- while a Tiger took 300,000 man hours to produce and a T-34 took about 40,000 (with the usual wildly ranging figures common to Soviet record keeping) a Sherman took just 10,000.

Albert Khan, the architect who designed those production lines was a goddamn mastermind.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

:five:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

"L'etat, c'est moi" gets you hung these days.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Allied strategy is clear: throw wave after wave of liberty ships into your guns to absorb all available ammo before you can hit anything worthwhile.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

This timeline will have the most warped naval doctrine ever. Jeez.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I still don't know where the whole human wave idea came from. The Soviets were very competent mechanized warfare experts.

There's a whole mountain of paperwork they generated during the war, it's a fascinating read.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Is

Is Japan winning the air war?

What the hell is going on?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I know this is the timeline where the battleship experiences a stunning resurgence in usability, but Jesus. Japan is winning air battles.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

The lack of land based air striking against naval threats has been odd. Never played this game, but IRL one of the big justifications for having carriers in the first place was to counter the land based air advantage an adversary would have in a Pacific conflict. And that keeps never happening.

This happened in real life - American air strikes, sweeps, and lrcap really hammered Japanese airfields, and the construction of a major airfield was considered a large enough threat to prompt the entire Guadalcanal campaign. Between that, overextension (or simply a failure to properly concentrate force), the unneeded transferring of land based air groups back to the home islands early in the war, and pilot attrition, Japanese land based air was never as effective as it could have been.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah, I've seen LBA be a big threat before in the games by the witp lifers, it's probably an interface issue.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's like you have to sacrifice a chicken every time you want a concerted airstrike. How hard - and I mean genuinely hard - would it be for the game to let you just click on a target and drop a pin on the map that said "if you're in range, fly here and kill everything you see"?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Breakfast Command

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

This tf commander gets to dine out on this engagement forever.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

I would not be surprised if after this LP I never touch the game again.

Then again, its not like it owes me anything....

of course not,you'll be too busy doing War in the West :unsmigghh:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

wedgekree posted:

... Quiet days spent rearming are over.

... Also shouldn't you like evacuate Manus at this point Grey? That was like half your shipping and JEEBUS.

Yeah, the AI can take the losses but Grey can't.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

overmind2000 posted:

I wonder what the takeaway from the eternal struggle over Manus will for the US Army? Be more like the IJA and use less tanks?

Clearly, the tank exists to fill the role of an armored beachhead defense platform. In the future, we will develop self-entrenching mobile bunkers to make our footholds unassailable.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Log082 posted:

No, not fewer tanks - More battleships. With treads, for inland theaters.

I like it, but think bigger:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Absolutely nothing Grey has can stop the Red Army. Although he's far, far exceeded the historical performance of the IJA, the Soviets still executed a double pincer over an area the size of western europe in less than two weeks.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

MacArthur is one of those guys where it's hard to decide how to feel about him. He screwed the pooch a lot but he also was right about a lot of stuff. He was notably not racist compared to his contemporaries, so that's a point in his favor, and he didn't like the idea of level bombing cities (because it was stupid, wasteful, and useless) and was gentle with civilians, so that's another. He handled the occupation well.

But, he was a shameless self promoter and he constantly tried to end run the president which is a big loving deal. He was audacious and willing to take risks, but those risks got him into trouble when he ran away with himself.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Just putting a division on the bottom, nothing to see here. You're going to have long enough reequip with A7Ms at this rate.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Is the AI even in range for a nuclear strike? I don't know how WitP models that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

3 days, 4 convoys. The press gangs are sweeping the streets of America with weapons at the ready. They know that if they fail, it is they who must face a trip to the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Grey can put 90 Ki-84s in the air in '45, he deserves the kill count.