Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jaegerx posted:

Yeah gimme the transport. She was never sunk so I've got good luck with her.

If the Japanese get lucky and tag her, she's points-wise worth as much as a heavy cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's good to have this back. I missed having a GH day-by-day to read over lunch.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The map mod that you're using looks so, so much better than the standard.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Really the only decision you should be making is whether to play the Allies or Imperial Japan.

If it's your first time out as Japan, do yourself a favor and read up on how their economy and research works at the Matrix forum, it'll save you a major headache.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Where there are fleet oilers, there are carriers. Although I notice that the one that you hit was Aussie.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anyone else laughing at the Betelgeuse getting hit three times?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Unless we're on Eniwetok...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

I really need to run that Call of Cthulhu game don't I - maybe PbP....

Innsmouth's Finest and Bravest need the proper battle to show their patriotism. o7

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah, you actually can lose more men then there were people alive in Japan at the time and be fine as long as you have lots of supply to create replacements.

There's a reason that WitP makes good fodder for basing a Call of Cthulhu game on.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Arbite posted:

China's Chongqing or bust. If he can get enough converging on there fast enough, then he's won Asia. If not, he's going to have millions of men tied up for the next few years slowly bleeding.

Very much like the actual war. In fact, until the US embargoed them, Japan was hoping to use us as a neutral party to hash out a treaty to end the war in China just like we had a couple decades earlier for the Russo-Japanese War.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fredleander posted:

Everything considered that might have been a better solution than how it turned out. Would that have satisfied the Japanese appetite for the "co-prosperity sphere?"

lol no.

uPen posted:

You can't ship oil/rubber from the DEI to Japan without controlling the Philippines. The US was planning on stationing hundreds (150-200+) B17's in Luzon/Mindanao which would make shipping impossible.

This is another reason for the attack on Pearl. If Clark Field had gotten up and running to the degree that was originally planned, the Philippines would've become an impossible obstacle to Japanese ambitions.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 30, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

I was going to do one, but then the reviews came out, and I decided I had better things to spend my money on. If it was a reasonable price, then I might have taken the plunge, but not for the silly money Matrix are asking for.

Considering all of the sales that they get from people following your LPs, I'm surprised they don't just send you stuff for free.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Something to link all of these together into one game.

A challenge for the groggiest of grogs.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 4, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thalantos posted:

Do you think Sealion was at all a realistic goal for the Germans?

No, not really. If they'd won the Battle of Britain they might have been able to put a squeeze on the islands, and if they'd taken Egypt and effectively cut Great Britain off from the rest of their empire they'd have been within shouting distance of winning the war, but actual invasion just wasn't possible with the equipment they had on-hand.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

The only grognard game that I know of that comes packaged with a hypothetical Sealion scenario is Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris. There's a scenario that starts with the Germans landed on the south/southeast coast of England, but as far as I know there's really no way to impact the logistics of it. There are several options that you can define at the start of the scenario though.

Panzer General has three different hypothetical Sealion scenarios, but it also has the Amerika bomber and Maus tank so...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

The West Point was one of those big liners right?

Yep. Her historical counterpart survived the war but wrecked off the Canaries while being towed in a bad storm in 1994. You can still see the wreck at low tide on Fuerteventura.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Flying boats are good and cool and I would like to have one.

Every lodge in MN and Canada flies one of these and they're awesome.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Those are floatplanes, which are fractionally less good. Flying boats are the ones that float on their hull rather than pontoon-y bits.

I have learned a thing.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Maternal grandfather had run away from an orphanage when he was 15 and was sleeping rough and doing odd jobs when Pearl Harbor hit. After that he joined the Army and became a cook serving in North Africa and Italy. After the war he went to college on the GI Bill and became modestly wealthy through careful investments and legal work that he did for West Publishing.

Paternal grandfather sat out the war. He was 4-F owing to the fact that he'd lost a kidney in a sawmill accident when he was a teenager. He spent the war logging and organizing unions among the lumberjacks in Wisconsin. He'd have hated Scott Walker.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HerraS posted:

To be fair you wouldn't have gotten further than the part where he calls Sealion a "brilliant jewel of military planning, just as one would expect from the German ubermensch!" without a hint of irony.

Holy poo poo! :lol: The Germans never even took Malta and he's praising their half-assed Sealion plans?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

Also where I learned they voted in the death penalty just long enough to hang Vudkin Quisling, then immediately repealed it once he was dead.

Quisling got off light. If ever a man deserved to be tied into a sack full of hungry rats and thrown into the sea, it was him.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The RMS Rangitiki was one of the three "Rangi" boats operated by the New Zealand Shipping Company. Both she and her sister ship Rangitata survived the war, but their fellow, the RMS Rangitane was sunk by the German raider Orion 300 miles east of New Zealand. After the war, Rangitiki served as a passenger and cargo ship before being sold to Spain in 1962 and broken up for scrap in Valencia.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pthighs posted:

At the risk of starting another derail: I know that the heavy lifting to defeat Germany was done by the Soviet Union, but I'm curious about how much the finanical and materiel help from the Western allies made that possible. Would it have been impossible for the USSR to defeat Germany without it? Would it just have taken longer?

Lend-Lease and military/financial aid to the USSR by the US definitely shortened the war, if for no other reason than the fact that most Soviet motorized troops were driving around in US trucks and had all of their supplies delivered to them by US-made train cars. Barring some sort of counter-factual weirdness (e.g. the winter of 41 being short and mild or Hitler jumping off in May instead of June) I don't think that the Germans would've ever managed to take Moscow, much less conquer the whole of Russia.

pthighs posted:

Was D-Day required from a military standpoint or did the Western allies just not want the USSR to steamroll Europe?

The USSR probably could've pushed all the way through Germany/France if the Allies hadn't invaded. But as another poster pointed out, the Western Allies were already planning D-Day way, way back in early-1942 when the prospects of total Soviet domination of Europe seemed very far off.

pthighs posted:

Please keep these up, I love these.

Prolly will, I like learning about ships.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 15, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TildeATH posted:

Poor Grey thought we were going to be paying attention to his actual LP and worry about his shock attack when little did he know that we'd be talking about Operation Sealion and whether or not the Nazis were bad guys or good at war and stuff.

Poor Grey...

Or, I suppose, "Pour Gray" is more appropriate.

It's either this, or watch Space UN negotiate a technology transfer with the Future Emperor of All Mankind. And Space UN doesn't do a daily update.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any history of Japanese airpower in WWII can be concluded with, "...but then all of their best pilots got killed and the Corsair and Hellcat showed up and welp..."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The MV Limerick was a cargo mover. Built in Glasgow, Scotland in 1925 she was typical of her class of twin engine long-haul freighters. A civilian ship operated by a New Zealand-based cargo company, she was one of the largest ships lost to combat action during the Japanese offensive sub patrols of 1942-43.

Limerick was somewhat ironically torpedoed by Japanese submarine I-177 on April 25th 1943, ANZAC Day, and sank the next day. The wreck was found off of Australia's east coast using sonar imaging in 2013. She was only found because she'd become a popular fishing spot and leaking oil clued local fisherman in to the fact that there was a wreck.

Finding the boat created something of a local sensation and newspapers managed to interview Allan Wyllie, a survivor of the Limerick about the sinking:

quote:

Well, there was a beautiful moonlit night that night, and so I went – I was sharing with a mate a two-berth cabin, my mate was in there – so when I went to go to bed, I said, 'I don't like the look of tonight.' He said, 'Get into bed you windy bastard!' So I did, and when I heard 'bang' in the [early] morning, I jumped out of bed and lost my pyjama pants, and when I looked for my pants on the settee there, they weren't there, my trousers. My mate had jumped out and grabbed them, and he had them on. So I went out, and a joker said to me, 'Get back inside and get some strides on!' So I went to go in, but all the bulbs had got blown out, the lights in the passageway, and I walked in glass. So I thought, no way. So I went out. Anyhow, when the corvette picked me up the next day, a sailor gave me a pair of shorts. That's the shorts I've got on there [in the photograph], you can see there, that's the ones the sailor gave me.

Allan Wyllie (left), wearing his borrowed navy shorts and with bandages on his rope-burned hands, stands with other Limerick survivors in Brisbane after their rescue.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A White Guy posted:

Could you invade and occupy Alaska without setting off Patton's 8th army?

Yep. It's a good way to draw off US resources and gently caress with any plan that they have to attack Japan from the north.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

Contrast that though with most Americans having no idea that the Eastern Front was even a thing and that the Soviets pretty much broke Germany's spine single-handedly. It doesn't matter what country you're in, there's always large gaps in history education, or even outright fabrication of events.

But enough about Japan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Also, marching through jungle is murder even if you're not being deliberately mistreated. I hate to think how hard it would be to get even a mountain gun through serious rainforest undergrowth.

Even just marching regular infantry through jungle is murder. Take for example this famous picture of Chindits marching down a jungle path. You might notice that some of the men are walking around pantsless. That's because they had dysentery that was so bad that it was impossible for them to drop trou in time without making GBS threads themselves, so they just went without.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
A shock attack might have ended it, but deliberative attacks are fine as long as Grey doesn't need the troops elsewhere. Those Chinese troops are doomed, and the squad numbers bear that out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Saint Celestine posted:

How do you save force Z? Cant the Japanese player just start attacking them with betties straight from the getgo? Do you just pray you dont take any torpedo hits ?

IIRC, Grey saved both the PoW and the Repulse last time out and got them to Johannesburg for repairs. He got them sunk later, of course, as part of his ongoing vendetta with the Royal Navy, but they weren't killed the first day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

This part strikes me as unlikely.

Cape Town. Years of drinking have dulled my already scanty knowledge of South African geography.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Nice to see Bataan turn a corner, hopefully Singers is next.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The fact that he's wrapping up the Philippines and ready to hit the DEI lime a ton of bricks in March is good. Things aren't going brilliantly, but he's solid.

Wouldn't mind seeing his production/research plans so that we can spend three weeks nitpicking him to death

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

SOVIET RESPONSE.

Thread now has a nickname for GH's baby.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

the JJ posted:

I should clarify, quitting as in granting independence but keeping options open for bases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tydings%E2%80%93McDuffie_Act

Yeah, Clark Field might well have become a nearly impregnable bastion if we'd had another 18 months to finish building it and stockpiling supplies.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Congrats, GH!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Proper Croctopus Spirit!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Good hits. I was starting to wonder where some of those ships were hiding out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
That's true if you're playing against a human, but the ai is dumb enough that you can get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Where there are oilers, there are usually carriers.