Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Drone posted:

If there were just one thing I'd bother complaining about in your otherwise stellar LP's, it's this. I like not knowing for sure if a ship has been sunk, since the game has a built-in unreliability to it for the first few weeks/months after seeing a battle result. I mean in the real war, the Enterprise was reported sunk by the Japanese newspapers like six times.

This was actually an American Strategy, or at least this line of thought; they reused ship names. For example, the Yorktown was sunk at Midway after a lengthy career of punching the Japanese in the face up and down the Pacific. She was succeeded by the, well, Yorktown, a later model of carrier. This was rather confusing to Japanese Intelligence reports and also extremely demoralizing. "Wait, I thought we sunk that one?!" etc.

Now, of course, the BIG E never actually sunk, but it was still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I want to see a WitP LP with a mod that removes all carriers from the game.

Then we can actually care about battleships.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

And we're already starting to lose our bluster.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

American planes ended up being absurdly good, even the ones they didn't like and tossed to Russia were pretty drat great.

They also picked up on the idea of eschewing cannons at some point and just turning their dinky machineguns into .50 cals, which was all you really needed.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Actual WW2 aircraft were certainly not the romanced or video game'd thing, no. Lots of hours just soaring around looking for specks in the sky, with just as many hours sitting in the concrete slab of a pilot seat on the tarmac because someone thought there was an air raid happening.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

To be fair, nor could either side at Midway. Even though the Yorktown eventually did die to a torpedo strike, all through the day neither side's subs or torpedo bombers were able to score a hit. it was dive bombers that blew up the Kido Butai

And Yorktown barely sunk in the first place, mostly on account of the rescue crews getting skittish. Really, the only reason she was lost was incompetence and the good 'ole fog of war.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Personally, I'd argue a rifle with it's 20~ moveable parts is a lot less impressive then a vehicle. Russian stuff is weirdly built to last, despite breaking down so much in practice.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

We made it two pages w/o the derail. This is a thread for grogs following an aspie level game. Please keep that poo poo somewhere else, or allow that sea lion nerd back in here to plug his terrible book

this is a four year discussion thread, dude

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I feel the only reason you remotely have parity in regards to beating them in ship points is Force Z.

Losing several boats a day, you're gonna run out of boats!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I get the feeling the moment that failchance hits 50% or so the entire IJN is going to be sunk.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

It seems like if the US didn't have the torpedo problem the war would've been a year or two shorter.

The US sub, uh, corps were actually really loving good (and Japan really loving bad, but that's the usual theme) at what they did. Their boats were pretty top of the line, too. If the torpedo snafu hadn't gotten caught up in red tape and lovely dudes then honestly I imagine Midway and maybe even the Coral sea wouldn't have happened.

Because submarines would have sunk everything.

The subpens (historically, anyway) went virtually untouched at Pearl Harbor and the other subbases in the Philliphines etc could keep operational until the last minute by the nature of being subterfuge vessels. They don't get a lot of fanfare because the subs' efforts were sworn to secrecy until "relatively" recently in like... the 90s or so? And, of course, because by the time torpedoes were fixed all the big fish were at the bottom anyway.

Still, it's not like IJN kept supremacy over the seas and really did anything against the island hopping campaign, so it'd probably have been just as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

i81icu812 posted:

isnt all of china out of supply due to the siege in Chongqing or wherever the capital is?

divisions (re)spawn there, not all of the supplies