Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you're just going to let the allies sail their big ships right into your harbors without one-upping them?

yamato to California

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
is it good AI, when it exploits deficiencies in the game mechanics?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
That's fascinating to me. I've been trying to a bit more study on AI programming and really I dunno why they didn't go with some fairly brute force approach with it. The weakness of things like alphabeta pruning in this kind of game is just how long it would take even if you managed to limit the amount of choices to more broad decisions like "send AttackForceFoo against TargetBar" or more generalist strategy decisions. I've seen a few blurbs on how the Total War series was using monte carlo alphabeta with that kind of approach and they have to really struggle with keeping turn times down. But this game is groggy as poo poo, with player turns taking a considerable amount of time to carry out anyways... I'd figure you could really let loose with some crude-but-powerful approaches that take like, five minutes a turn or some poo poo and eat up half your system memory because the consumer base for this sort of game would more a lot more tolerant if it meant having some nasty AI. That and the AI would be able to handle all the fiddly stupid bullshit effectively, at least, in theory, so it should already have a pretty keen edge on a human.

The other fascinating thing is that it has that problem of inability to commit enough towards a goal. Thats a problem in a lot of strategy games, and its really one of the most fatal weaknesses that result in theoretically superior AI forces folding like a leaf against a halfway competent player. At least this AI is persistant, but it really, REALLY should be able to at least go "Well that operation I attempted with X resources met with miserable failure, but I REALLY REALLY want this to succeed, so lets use that as a basis to calibrate what it would take to win, and then send 133% of that just to be safe."

(Like I said tho, I'm just studying this, haven't done much application of it, so if anyone who knows more wants to correct / address what I wrote, please go ahead)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
probably the only accurate take on warfare in a game, tho

large amounts of boredom and drudgery, with the occasional burst of absolute terror

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'd like to see an LP on the Japan side of someone clowning repeatedly on the AI. Grey is getting by playing with the system, I wanna see someone take the system and crack it open like a walnut.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

cool, also i didnt know this game used a WEGO system, which made me go "oh poo poo hahaha gently caress" as i thought about the AI implications for a second
e: its probably actually not a harder problem than alternating turns, but my apprentice-level hunch is that its more a complicated process trying to gauge an opponents actions and their potential impact on your plan without getting into weird donkey mind problems as opposed to guessing an opponents optimal response to a static state

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 4, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
well, maybe it causes a PRODUCTION OUTPUT knob to go from 6 to 7 somewhere, but otoh it will mean that rabul has a bright future ahead as a source of low-background steel

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
NO

NO

KATORI NO

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:china:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
not really, us planes go from pretty good to stupidly good, and they have a lot of them

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
far less embarrassing end than the historical ship at least

too bad, tho, thought itd live to sail again, after two years of repairs

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
actually just keep attacking, its more fun that way

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm surprised there aren't more antagonistic / coop style games out there, actually. Both players working at the same task and forced to cooperate, but have a separate score that determines the true winner at the end that requires being a bit of an rear end in a top hat. The only one I recall seeing was the board game castle panic, but a full on Dysfunctional Empire Self Destructs In Face Of Minor Threat simulation game would be cool.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

barman posted:

Grey: There is a game setting: Player Defined Upgrades, you can turn it on or off during your game. Turned off it means you are limited to the upgrade path defined in the scenario, turned on you can choose any available planes within the same category. Since you are getting slaughtered I would reconmend to turn it to ON, so you can decide where to put which planes yourself.

In order to upgrade you need a lvl 5 airfield and enough supplies, fly your planes to big bases , upgrade them there and fly them back

I Will post a printscreen later

oh my loving god this game

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
nani

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Velius posted:

This comes from the game aiming for historical realism, in this case at the expense of responding to the in game situation. The idea is after things like the Marianas Turkey Shoot (June ‘44) and attritional losses everywhere, a bunch of the IJA and IJN airgroups existed on paper only, with no pilots or planes. Those withdrawals are supposed to represent command realizing that and trying to represent their actual strength, but in practice it means a competent Japanese player suddenly loses a bunch of front line fighter groups for no reason.

There’s similar silliness with aircraft upgrades (you’ve got to upgrade in order, silly, if you don’t have A6M5s still around you can’t use those A6M8s in the hangar!) and things like being able to research radar equipped night fighters early while the radars don’t advance their arrival date.

thats... stupid as hell, even by this games abstraction standards. the planes exist in the same exist way and manner as everything else in the game, and take up resources, and can carry out missions, until they suddenly vanish into the fog, never to be seen again. thats almost like the complete opposite of what its supposed to be abstracting! thats some goddamn magical poo poo

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Maybe they can be lured out of the hex?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yamagatamoto

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
nuts

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
bold new tactic of only flying night missions shall win this war

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
does that site allow you to submit multiple responses

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm kind of on the fence on editing the thing since its kind of an anticlimatic cop out but on the other hand its so stupid a series of mechanics that itd be awful even outside an ostentatiously simulation based game

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that and the "correct" way to deal with it is absurdly gamey in itself and makes no sense from any simulationist perspective. we must ignore the chinese heartland and all their assets to take a single backwater city!

unless i guess its a simulation of that city being a secret route to the skaven underempire or something but then it really should just be blowing itself up by this point

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
calm down, 1944 japan

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mans posted:

That's a lot of dead pilots for a trade of a lot of bombs dropped in the pacific ocean instead of on Bunker Hill

i mean if the pilots failed to hit things than their loss is no big deal, obviously.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
GLORIOUS

NIPPON

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

im sorry what

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i got my copy of shattered sword, per thread recommendation.

ive only gotten to chapter 2 but its a pretty engaging read, so far.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Reality asserted itself momentarily, claiming the W-19, before skipping out for a quick breakfast, itself never to be seen again.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I still enjoy the dumb bullshit about scripted events that never make any sense. Japanese combat units vanishing into the mists because they weren't supposed to still exist. Allies naming ships after ships that sometimes don't sink. Falloff in US production even if they're struggling horribly in 45. Chungking getting a constant influx of men and supplies while surrounded via what I assume must be a chinese skynet sending poo poo back into the past. British ships that were historically sunk not being called back correctly. And so on and so forth.

On the other hand, hey, at least you can perfectly manage individual pilots and airframes!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its like he passed some arbitrary ai script trigger like "okay by this point it doesnt matter what your strategy is just throw everything at them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
sad the ai is so incredibly, horribly bad. maybe in a few years someone will take one of those learning ais, figure out how to abstract the game states organically to a limited set, and make a nasty ai for the game, before handing the new logistics bot to the army so skynet can kill us all finally. until then, we can just admire the san fran armada

good job making a good lp out of it anyways, lol