Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The british drive from Burma to Borneo in a single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Serpentis posted:

I think if planes from carriers that are sinking can’t perform an emergency rebase they count as Operational losses... :getin:

Thats great and all...except Grey is the one suffering them.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

CannonFodder posted:

It seems to me that WitP involves many more ships being sent to the deep compared to OTL.

Is it because in Grey's timeline battleship/cruiser knife fights are the prevailing doctrine?

Its also because we aren't seeing the historical losses of civilian ships in those daily ships kill updates (so any ship that in this game would be classified as xAK, xAKL, xAP and possibly also TK). We only get the military ships and the civilian ships pressed into direct military roles (troop transport for so and so invasion fleet, ersatz Oiler for the fleet, minesweeping fishing trawlers, stuff like that)

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So Grey i know that you are several turns ahead of us and that this is probably a moot point by then, but is there a reason why you don't spread those grounded planes out across several of your nearby bases using, oh i don't know...the railroad that links them all together?

Even if it dosn't help you get any of them in the air, it will force the allies to waste alot longer on bombing each individual squadron to bits instead of grinding them all down at the same time.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
But there is a railroad right there?

Admittedly i've only ever played the game as the allies, but i usually make heavy use of rail transporting for planes that need to move around in India, Australia, Java and the US coast so i don't see why the same wouldn't be possible for you to do here.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Btw did you ever look into that thing i talked about in Burma? The one where i was pretty sure you could evacuate the damaged planes from their constantly bombarded airfield, by using the railroad?

Just curious since im certain it'd work for the allies, but i have not played as the japanese.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
To be fair, its not like they have to do so for long individually.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Grey you have to show the New Zealanders how a proper invasion is done. Its not like they are likely to have that many non-combat crews left in their homeland.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So in Shattered Sword, the authors describe Nimitz as a man who burdened his commanders with unfailing trust in their ability to shoulder the burdens assigned to them.

Nimitz doesn't hate New Zealand. Nimitz trusts New Zealand to be the most badass supermen out there, and he will thrust them at the enemy again and again until they live up to that trust.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Volmarias posted:

How in the world are there so few operational losses when 100 planes get shelled

Operational losses usually only occur during take-off, flight or landing.

Writeoff is when it made it down and is deemed too damaged to repair.

All of those damaged planes have sustained damaged that will take somewhere between 1 and 15 days to fix (simultaneously if there is enough aviation support and the base is big enough).

So damaged can mean a small dent on the wing or it can mean enough holes to make a swiss cheese jealous.

Some Fog of War also applies.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Grey Hunter posted:

So, I'm thinking about changing up my frankly tiny avatar to something newer, and I love this.

But I want to get the text right.

So far, its the same as current, or "Nice planet you have there, shame if someone was to do an LP about it...."

But suggestions would be welcome!

"A very British Victory" (burning navy in the background)

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Well then....not seing all that many tanks, but they sure as gently caress brought the artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Im still just checking this thread every day for updates. You did this to me Grey! and i thank you for it!

Seriously though, thanks alot for going through this thing 2+ times.