Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welcome back, admiral Grey Hunter. Glorious Japan is lucky to have you :japan:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CeeJee posted:

That tiny corner of Antarctica on the map. Why ?

:shrug: Because?

What probably happened is that they coded how many hexes the map was before they started filling them in. This game being this game, of course any extra hex that has no real reason to be there has to match reality, because can you imagine the target audience's reaction otherwise?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thalantos posted:

I usually play the Axis in grand strategic wargames, 'cause I like playing the losing side and seeing if I can get them to win.

I always feel at least a little bit dirty doing so, though.

It's probably why the eastern front is an extremely strong scenario to play, both sides are the underdogs. On one side, you have a desperate defense against the forces of evil before turning the tide, on the other side you've got the idiots that poked the Russian bear.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nothing to seehere posted:

Please, refute the points in the following essay about the infesability of Sealion. http://www.philmasters.org.uk/SF/Sealion.htm

:psyduck:
That reads like a loving parody, like a big fat joke on a British Islands invasion as organized by, I dunno, dumb Italians.
That's way dumber than the kind of poo poo we tell in dumb Carabinieri (one of our police forces) jokes, and trust me, those jokes are really really dumb.

Christ, Mel Brooks has it right, the best way to stop Fascism is to make clear the big joke it really is, because people won't care about how abhorrent it is but will care about not looking like idiots.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Drone posted:

Lack of modeling war crimes in games is sure disappointing!

Really though, is it not possible? You can nuke Japan though it costs you pretty heavily in victory points, and I don't see why you couldn't combine that with a land invasion.

Come to think of it, has there ever been an LP or AAR where the Allies invaded the Home Islands? I know Grey took Hokkaido in his Allied LP.

Isn't how the A-bombs work, they don't cost you points but rather simply move the victory type down one step for every nuke beyond the two hystorical ones?
As in, if you score a major allied victory with 3 nukes, it gets turned into minor or whatever the denomination is?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That last line is amazing, you can feel the irritation at the fishes there.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Actually it was the Olympic that was sunk, the Titanic had been secretly replaced by the Olympic just prior to her maiden voyage and intentionally sunk by the White Star Line for the insurance!

This is a real conspiracy theory that people believe. :eng99:

I'm going to regret asking this question but:
according to these nuts, why was performing the switch fundamental to committing insurance fraud?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mikl posted:

IIRC, she was never definitely sunk. She just disappeared into the void again, and then the war ended.

Which means she's still out there somewhere. Waiting.

I assume the save file for that game is long gone, so I'm asking mostly for this one:
is there any way to cheat and look at things from the AI's perspective? It would be nice to check Allied intelligence after the war is over. Interpret is as war documents getting publicly released.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

markus_cz posted:

So is this the Dwarf Fortress of war games?

Nah, the DF dev can and will admit problems in the simulation and work to fix them ("I think I made the carp too hardcore"). I don't really see these devs do it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did the carrier captains piss into the destroyer's breakfast? You* have one job, do it properly.

*destroyer you

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You have to set them up for an ASW combat patrol when making a new task force, which they should be since it was an ASW combat.

:psyduck:
Why does the interface suck so much?
What's next, the default settings for battleships task forces is "don't bother with guns, ramming speed ahoy"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

HannibalBarca posted:

there's a nuke survival victory condition?

Scoring goes Allied decisive victory - marginal victory - tie - Japanese marginal - Japanese decisive, if I remember correctly; the tiers refer to the historical outcome, though, so "tie" means the American player won the war roughly on par with History.

If I recall correctly from earlier discussions (might have been in the other thread or in the allied LP) every nuke after the two historical ones drops the score a full tier in Japan's favour.
Considering that if the USA player needs the third nuke then the game is already somewhere between marginal American victory and tie, Japan surviving the 3rd nuke means that a Japanese marginal (at lest) victory is all but assured at that point.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:magical:
So, yeah, in this timeline congress is going to impeach FDR in an emergency session within a week, give or take, hoping to distract the lynch mob in front of the building.

mllaneza posted:

The question of what could get the US looking for a compromise peace came up recently. This is it, public support for a negotiated peace is now present.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Am I misreading this, or was that last Jaluit battle giving an experience penalty to the defenders? I don't know what soldiers have to do to be considered experienced enough by this game, but it must be really hardcore if the Jaluit guys don't make the cut.

What's happening is that the game has correctly identified that the USA's incompetency has made Jaluit's defenders learn a whole lot of bad practices that an invading force would be able to exploit if, you know, they were competent.
Thus Zapp Brannigann's genius is made manifest, as his master plan of throwing waves upon waves of men at the Japanese emplacements in Jaluit has lulled them in a false sense of complacency and dulled their battle prowess.

(:psyduck: :grog games: :psyduck:)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

David Corbett posted:

:emptyquote:

(but only because we didn’t sink Queen Elizabeth, which would have been perfect)

Can't the Queen do like half* the map in a single turn? I feel that any attempt at engagement would end like a Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote (genius) cartoon.

*obvious hyperbole. How many hexes can she actually make make in a turn and (followup question) how many hexes are some relevant distances between landmarks?
(e.g. West Coast to Pearl Harbour is x hexes, Pearl to Rabaoul is Y etc)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jesus Christ the Americans are going to tie FDR to the bow of a troop transport then sail it into the Tokyo Bay Fortress.

What the gently caress is this world going to look like after the war? Assuming baseline Ally competency in the various European theaters, I'm assuming the USSR is going to cover most of Europe, except Spain and maybe France (and no way Franco doesn't decide he was actually a Communist all along), as resources get diverted from western Europe to the pacific and thus the Red Army wins the race to Berlin handily and then keeps going.
The USA are going to go full fascist after this, no questions asked, and I have no clue what the UK will do.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What would an human player do right now as USA (assuming there aren't 20 carriers converging on the sitting ducks)?

Instinctively, I'd take a 2 weeks to 1 month break to concentrate a proper task force and avoid further losses if I don't have enough assets in the area, but to be honest I have no clue or knowledge on what assets are available to PACCOM at this point in time, what toys are rolling out of the shipyards right now and in general what are the options.

Anyone with actual knowledge wanna chip in?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Aren't carriers supposed to have better visibility by virtue of having planes?
On the other hand, the last two years of LP

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Magni posted:

They'd both be hosed in all kinds of ways? Like, pretty sure you'd see deformed keels and massive flooding for both at a minimum.

So, Allied fire control to save the day?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Remind me, is the Musashi the other Yamato-class BB?
How's the Hyuga faring after that torpedo?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Japan really has no good way of handling tanks, uh?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Somebody is getting :rip:-ed either way.
Is mutual complete sinking possible here? (I don't care about how improbable)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I know it's the AI but at this point I'd fear there is another carrier force within striking distance and the two CVs were bait.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Are American ships made of Anti-Air guns or what? Those air frames losses in the last few days.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cardiac posted:

Just lurking here, but does the Japanese player get access to Kamikazes?
The plane losses make it seem like a not terrible idea.

Yes, but Grey is doing too well and they're not unlocked yet. I don't know the exact requirements though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So basically AA guns are to American warships as quills to a porcupine.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Grumio posted:

I believe it was loss of lift that did in Yamamoto, not flotation

Idgi, how did he die? Hanging?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not quite outrageous if you consider how long it would take to get to 1945 even if you were playing this game as a full-time job. On one playthrough.

Why are you getting to 1945 the hard way? Generate some 1944/1945 preset scenarios (historical, US player doing well, Japanese player doing well) and see if the scripts can deal with it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I probably was unclear. I meant, as a dev/playtester; the "you" was a generic you.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

And the streak is broken, after what, 9 years plus the first aborted Japanese run. That's incredibly impressive to say the least.

Hold on, Grey, is someone holding you hostage? Shock attack an atoll for yes, sink the British navy for no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol at anyone describing the WITE/WITW ground combat engine as reasonable, someone had a really good post on that poo poo in an earlier LP thread

Define reasonable. WITE models down to single tanks and 20 men squads if I remember correctly and we can all agree that's incredibly stupid, but the outcomes were somewhat sensible from the numbers displayed.
Here the model seem to mistake tanks for invincible mobile fortresses even in situations and on terrain where infantry should be king.