Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Can I claim japanese submarine I-8? I'm pretty sure that's what I picked in the last attempt at this.

Good luck, grey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Is Norway stuck in some sort of perpetual 90s geocities hellscape?

This campaign seems to be going pretty roughly, but those torpedo bombers gave grey a really hard time last time too

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

My lucky ship had a lucky day, good on you I-8!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Xenoborg posted:

Unfortunately for you, two out of those 3 kills were I-18

curse you tiny phone screen!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

let me be the first to say I saw "justice for germans dot come" and :yikes: Not clicking that link

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Let's Play! subforum.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I hope we all learnt a valuable lesson about what happens when you derail the thread.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

I'm appreciative of the buy avatar button.

It's spelt cum just fyi

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

Dude only joins today and after 2 posts gets red text of shame and accompanying avatar. A forum record?

Whoever posted this LP on the matrix forums deserves a stern talking to.

ANYWAY

Imagine my shame when I looked up my lucky ship, the I-8, and realised it was infamous for committing a bunch of war crimes. I only picked it because I thought a sub with a scout plane was dumb and cool :negative:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Germans couldn't even invade Norway without losing a poo poo ton of destroyers and cargo ships, against a country that, by-and-large, refused to believe that Hitler would invade them and were incredibly unprepared. Sure, the Allies helped with Britain providing a lot of naval assets, but assume for a second that they would have to attack a location that brings them much closer to the RN and RAF... and you quickly realize that it wouldn't work without hand-waving a lot of issues such as air support, naval support, supply/logistics, and so on.

Isn't fred Norwegian? Maybe he wants Sealion to be a success so he can imagine his country didn't gently caress up. "They totally would've got you too guys :("

Splode fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 15, 2016

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

There are no panthers in this game. Take this conversation to the military history thread out the back and shoot it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Just put fred on ignore and move along.

Last couple of days have been a bit quiet, why is marching so slow in this game? What is it based on?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

fredleander posted:

Please don't use my name. Real names are not popular here. Too much reality, I suppose....

Your username is your real name you loving idiot, I can't help that. Please check yourself into a retirement home without internet access.

gradenko_2000 posted:

movement stuff

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess it is better than the alternative, and it probably is pretty slow to move around if you're carefully advancing on foot

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ardeem posted:

It's an early war Mk XIV, technically firing the thing was a waste of a torpedo!

Against a boat that small even if the torpedo didn't explode it probably still would've sunk it

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I love the sign of confidence that most people are taking Allied ships.....

hey man I took I-8, commit some beautiful warcrimes for me

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

megane posted:

Did Grey sink literally anything at Pearl Harbor

game is broken

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Court Martial the Captains of all those destroyers. They have ONE JOB.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cool, thanks for that. In a similar vein, what is a cruiser?

You've got patrol/torpedo boats to sink bigger boats,
Destroyers to blow up torpedo boats and submarines in order to protect...
Battleships to blow up boats and coastlines with big guns and Carriers to blow up everything (while requiring protection from all other boats)

How do cruisers fit into this?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cool, thanks everyone, that cleared up a lot.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Congratulations! Here's hoping you've got 6 month buffer!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gort posted:

It still blows me away how much of a fortress Singapore is compared to reality. Maybe it needs its own mechanic, a bit like how Pearl Harbour works.

yeah, the odds are pretty heavily stacked against the Japanese as it is, it doesn't make any sense for things to be harder than reality.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I would like to congratulate leperflesh for managing to stand out as a pedant in the let's play thread.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Noo my sub! Hang in there baby!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

RA Rx posted:

Ow.

Any reinforcements nearby?

He's going to need them, I'd guess at least another 100k troops. That supply situation needs to change too.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I don't think it's humanly possible for Japanese inter-service relations to be worse than they were historically. They were both actively sabotaging the other, even assassinating leaders.

Maybe this is the game's way of simulating that

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah, so much for invaluable experienced pilots.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

None of that stuff really models things like perfectly healthy ships running aground, being sunk in severe storms, or simply suffering catastrophic shipboard accidents like fires in the ammo store. Any of those can be immediately fatal, as opposed to some gradual accumulation of damage.

The smaller the ship, the more likely that kind of thing can be fatal, of course, so to be accurate the game should probably give really small ships a slight chance of sinking in severe storms, but not really any chance of battleships from sinking in bad weather, etc.

Sure, but that's not fun. Imagine if you'd played this for months and then your most important battleship blows itself up because of a randomly generated number. This is a game after all.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I was sweating bullets waiting for the pictures to load. "WHICH SUB?"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

i81icu812 posted:

what happened to the fixed graphs?

Was quoting the whole post really necessary?

Also grey explicitly said he wasn't going to fix the graphs and someone else could do it if they wanted to.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Shell hits 1, and is sunk.

Brutal.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

I mean I understand it on an intellectual level but it's still bad. :shrug: Let's not pretend this is anywhere close to the best or most intuitive way to present this info. Someone did a mockup of a non-lovely version at some point earlier in the thread but :effort:.

These graphs are that mock-up.

It's times like these I remember which subforum we're in. Shut up about graphs and read the LP.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I'd take the a6m3 over a p40b in IL2 any day. Something dumb is going on.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

enlightening.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I deeply wish that only the OP could post in threads in the Let's play forum, and this is why.

Grey is wiping out an incredible amount of ships and just resolved a siege that has been going on forever, and you idiots are talking about anime.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

you've been here since 2013 and this surprises you?

No, it doesn't surprise me at all, but I can still whinge about it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Jesus Christ, he blows up an aircraft carrier somehow, compared to the actual total combat record of one destroyer and one minesweeper sunk, three destroyers damaged? Then it's announced at the end that pointless suicide attacks are exactly as crazy as the US dropping an atomic bomb? :laffo:

Almost as bad as that Space Battleship Yamato movie where the guy kazikazes the battleship, and then just before he dies he's surrounded by images of his loved ones, just like the Imperial Japanese leadership promised.

Is the Japanese cultural perception of the Pacific War still that hosed up, or is this just Anime being it's usual terrible self?

I suspect part of it is the cross over between people who are interested in war and yahoo nationalist redneck idiots, that is true in every country.

Your average Japanese person is not super keen to fight another war, anime is just dumb:
http://gallup-international.bg/en/P...r-their-country

pretty comparable to how american war films are usually hilarious propaganda pieces as well.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Mikl posted:

Correction: Zeon starts the series by killing half of humanity within days by liberal application of nukes in battlefields with civilians around, then gassing the entire population of a space colony (population estimate in the tens of thousands) so they can drop it on the main Federation base on Earth, only to miss and obliterate Sydney instead.

One of the many things the original Gundam gets right is showing that most of the rank-and-file soldiers on both sides are just average, decent people who get their days ruined on a regular basis, while the leadership is monstrous.

(Yes, yes, I know, trap sprung and all that.)

As someone who lives in Sydney, this wouldn't be a bad thing.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

On the other hand, three hots and a cot and all the man-love you could want.

But really, the casualty rate in the navy was way lower than the army.

In this version of the war, being in the army or the navy makes no difference, you'll still end up at the bottom of the pacific.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah, US Army mail centre, middle america. Ruling out being stateside, I've heard of poo poo like Brazilian deployments where people spent the war doing nothing other than getting up to the usual enlisted adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Keep in mind that industrial tooling that ways 15 tons might physically survive a bomb, but I dunno if it would still be aligned closely enough to produce parts that are within tolerance.

Obviously not a problem for the tank road wheel factory, but the aircraft turbine plant is going to suffer.