Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I claim the New Jersey, and given the lack of an afternoon strike on Pearl I see the war is already on course for hilarity.

Looking forward to seeing the Japanese economy implode at some point in 1943 or 44.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Ikasuhito posted:

This raises a good point, where is our fighter support? Over the past few days I think I've seen no more than a handful of Zeros take to the skies in our defense.

That’s because the commanders wanted Zero support and got what they asked for.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I'm going to laugh when the Americans reoccupy that base in southern Mindanao that GH landed on, took, and then immediately evacuated from.

Also, maybe taking Bataan while it's undefended would be a good plan? If nothing else, it would let you sweep the mines from the entrance to Manila Bay so that you could send battleships in to bombard the enemy in Manila.

How are you doing on oil, by the way? It looks like you haven't taken Palembang, Tarakan or Balikpapan yet, and the longer you give the Allied garrisons to dig in the more likely that you end up damaging the oil when you have to crack through fortifications.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Adar posted:

Is it possible if you drop all pretense of trying to win the game and grog the engine into submission in the two (Hawaii/California) spots? Just curious how far you can break it.
Spoilered on the off chance that somebody who posts to the Matrix forums also reads this LP:

I believe there are two AARs over on the Matrix forums where the Japanese player took Hawaii, and in at least one of them the Japanese player actually is intending to land in California at some point in late 1942.

That one is Lowpe vs. JocMeister; the first one, I think, has John 3rd playing the Japanese, but I don't remember the Allied player.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So how's the economy doing?

And the aircraft production/R&D?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Davin Valkri posted:

:perfect:

How many days of bombing in game would it take to get a "historical" level of damage at Pearl? Seems like every time I see a WitP game opening the first raid isn't nearly as painful as it could be (should be?).

To be fair, only two battleships were permanently sunk at Pearl historically. The others were all back in service well before the end of the war.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So, a few things.

First, Grey might want to have Kido Butai pay a visit to Colombo on Ceylon/Sri Lanka, since IIRC it has the largest shipyard available to the Allies between Capetown and the DEI. Survivors from the fighting around Java are likely to go there for repairs, especially those two R-class battleships (who can't be repaired in a smaller port).

Second, Chengtu also needs to be taken to cut off the unlimited Chinese reinforcement spawning, because the spawn point relocates there if it's still Chinese-owned while Chungking isn't.

Third, for the guy bringing up the railroads, the magic railroad from Singapore to Korea is a known thing, although apparently getting the game's Lovecraftian nightmare of a supply system to pull oil and fuel all the way up it is a bitch and a half. India, however, is separated from Burma by a break in the coast road just south of Arakan, so getting supply to draw into or out of the subcontinent will always be a hassle.

On the other hand, the fact that it's possible to support a land offensive over the Kokoda Trail or through the jungles to Imphal is one of those reminders that the supply system is borked both ways.

Oh yeah, one other thing I'm wondering: is Grey using his floatplanes and Glen-carrying subs to scout? Especially in the deep South Pacific? That might give him a shot at finding the carriers, or supply convoys to Australia. For the West Coast, maybe use sacrificial minisubs to scout the harbors?

EDIT: Almost forgot to say this, but (even if it's belated), congrats on the reinforcement to the Hunter household! Just try not to sink his lucky ship with your ASW patrols, seeing as how it's named after him and all.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 31, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Dreamsicle posted:

Oh poo poo is that a museum piece carrier battle between the Hermes and Hosho?

It's like a slapfight in a nursing home.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Velius posted:

Are you sure you don't want to pursue? You torpedoed all three fleet carriers, they're not going to sink from that, but it will slow them down. You also have vastly more planes than they do, since their armored decks reduce their capacity.

They're in port at the largest Allied shipyard on the west side of the map. If he doesn't sink them at their berths, they can and will just sit there and repair the damage.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Grey does realize that Batavia was the capital of the DEI, right? Soerabaya was just a large city with a major naval base.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Finish up the AAR by landing on the West Coast and giving LA to the Emperor as a Christmas present.

On which subject, there's a guaranteed to be hilarious AAR over on the Matrix forums right now where the current Allied player took over when the first Allied player ragequit after the Japanese landed in an undefended Portland in January 1942 and instantly destroyed all of the ships that would have arrived there for the rest of the game.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

...wait, how many ships is that? Can you do that to other west coast cities and shut down huge chunks of their late game fleet?
According to the relevant thread, the following was lost on the ways at Portland, between current and future production:

46 CVE 
183 xAK 
43 SC 
77 TK 
4 AM 
28 LST 
5 AK 
14 YMS 
3 AKA 
10 APA 

And theoretically you can mess up Allied air and naval production pretty badly for the rest of the game, but it requires the Allied player to pretty much strip the starting garrison of the WC, not reinforce it or build any forts, and not have enough air search and attack aircraft to shut it down. It also usually should take a pretty substantial Japanese troop and ship commitment, and you're likely to lose a lot of them if you stay more than a few days.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

No BB or CV? Are the Allies even going to notice?

It's over half of the CVEs they get throughout the war, so that's a lot of embedded air cover for invasions that suddenly won't be there. The tankers are also probably annoying to lose.

Bigger thing is it's a huge pile of VPs.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
AGS, still the best. Since, you know, we didn't get our panzers cut off multiple times.

It was a shame about Hans though.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
As long as the Mogami isn't launching torpedoes it should be fine.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Just imagine if Grey were able to get Franks to his frontline air wings.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
In This Corner of the World.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I hope Grey starts being able to issue Sams to his carriers before the game ends, just to see how they fare.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

CeeJee posted:

quote:

I thought you had more carriers then that. Wheres the rest of them? 
-Intercepted message from IJN high command to Yamamoto, June 8th 1942

:vince:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
What really gets me is that as far as I know there's never been a movie about Samar.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
The flipside is that in MP AARs it seems like China inevitably runs out of supplies sometime mid-to-late 1942, after which the entire front collapses.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Explain the deliciousness of poultry, then.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Hit the West Coast. The AI probably doesn't bother to keep much of a garrison there this late into 1944, because the Japanese normally shouldn't still have a carrier fleet and air superiority by late 1944.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Franks are Army planes, obviously they wouldn't help the Navy by attacking an Allied carrier.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
IIRC, Chokai is believed to have been sunk by the 5" guns of CVE White Plains when the latter scored a hit on the former's torpedo launchers.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

does anyone have some links to all the stuff about Eniwetok Atoll from the last lp? i remember it being a constant battle.

Sometimes there were days where the soldiers could dig themselves out of the corpse mounds and eat their J-rations in peace.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Excellent work Grey!

Now go retake Rota in the Marianas before the Americans put a billion Superforts on it and start burning your cities to the ground.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
May as well send a few guys on barges to police up all those dot bases.

And then retake Rota.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
AIUI the game is actually kind of bad at representing just how impossible it was to move any reasonable amount of supplies across the Burma-India border.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Why do you have a battleship just sort of hanging around in the Indian Ocean?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
And then go retake Rota.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So how far out are some of the fun stuff like the Sams and Kikkas?

Also, Rota needs to be retaken.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Until the less experienced player launches a surprise invasion of Hokkaido that the more experienced player only keeps off Honshu by ruthlessly exploiting flaws in the combat engine.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Reuben Sandwich posted:

I still have my eyes on those 2 oilers showing up.

Did Grey get any of the three giant liners the Allies have at various points (Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, and Aquitaine?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Ryujo would be a decent bet, she was lost at Eastern Solomons and I don't think anyone found the wreck yet.

Any other major ships in the area whose final resting places we don't know?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Wrong thread.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Rota needs to be retaken. I think it's the only spot the Allies currently have that's in B-29 range of the Home Islands.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Zeroisanumber posted:

A pilot who flies a Superfort all the way from Rota to Japan and back could be detected 30 miles offshore by the clanging of his tremendous brass balls.

You know that Tinian was our primary airbase for the bombing campaign against Japan IRL, right?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The US doesn't play by the same production rules as Japan. For the most part, whole planes just get delivered at set rates, over certain months.

What's probably happening is that the AI isn't (or can't) ship new squadrons from state-side over to the FEBA.

IIRC, this can cause real problems in a lot of PBEMs given the ability of the Japanese player to vastly increase their own production while focusing it on airframes that don't suck.

Also IIRC the Allied production schedule is based on IRL and not progress in-game, so everything starts trickling to a stop over the course of 1945.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
It was Portland. Pretty sure there was an Allied AAR or two about that game.