Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yessssssss

i guess we get a day off on february 29th 2016, though - and double duty on the 28th of february 2018. my immersion!

is the HMNZS Achilles on the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i like when massive generation-defining battles happen in places where they didn't in real life. i loved the sinyang and kaifeng battles. to a lesser extent surabaya, i think, on java. places that didn't really get stuck in to wwii irl but did in the simulation

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

welcome :norway:

i hope gray irons out his CAP issues soon

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

Hong Kong falls to our forces! Thousands of prisoners are taken and the main British city in the Far East is ours!

the pastiest of all the white men still rule in Fortress Singapore

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

more importantly than a war 30+ years prior would've been the undeclared border war, including a battle with tens of thousands of combatants on both sides and tens of thousands of casualties too, that at this point was less than three years in the past https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Khalkhin_Gol not to mention that japan lost that battle

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

my war hero is eddie slovik, but i sure do like watching the pixels fight

my grandpa did some stuff too but after he got out of the military he was a mailman and that's an honorable profession right there

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im late for the derail but i wanted to say, i had a pretty good public school education but i was taught in 8th grade that the united states won the vietnam war

also in florida elementary school every friday they'd wheel a tv in there and have us sing along to this instead of the pledge, and when he says 'stand up *cymbal crash*' we all stood up. fun times in florida in the '90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcuR34Gg-o
god drat they got me too, just hearing this song gets my loving hormones going. gently caress education
i can still sing along. i can't not sing along

the video does have some elements of the american wwii mythos

i honestly know all the words to this song, i haven't thought about this since 2001 when we played a concert band version of this in high school band on account of :911: and the idiot with the cymbals couldn't figure out the loving cymbal solo. and there weren't any words to that one

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 30, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just caught up to find my lucky ship has been dead for a while. what was the new zealand navy doing hanging out in the philippines, anyway?

things seem to be proceeding apace. aside from palembang! that was supposed to happen a month ago!

also i'm glad to see the world didn't end when we hit the leap year that could not be. i was worried about that. one of my favorite parts of the first lp was how the leap years lined up

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

as far as taking chungking, there was some guy on the official forums who managed it. i think he actually took the entirety of China; I think I remember him getting oil from urumqi. somebody over there definitely made the jet planes too, I forget if it was him or not. I want to say that the above game had some strategy featuring ahistorically advanced prop planes that worked pretty well

I also think this dude was the one who somehow understood how to manipulate the supply mechanics to get maximum throughput overland with a short hop from Korea so he could stockpile a poo poo ton on the home islands starting very early. I think he was playing a human even?

and to top it all off he actually had near-SA quality screenshots and explanations, which is a rarity over there

but I don't remember the link - something at matrix games.com, maybe. several cool AARs, after action reports I believe they call them, have been linked before in threads about this game, that's the only reason I know about them, so hopefully somebody who does have the links stops by

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so back in december i made the below post and noticed this response and felt bad because i didn't have a link:

kibaces posted:

oystertoadfish posted:

as far as taking chungking, there was some guy on the official forums who managed it. i think he actually took the entirety of China; I think I remember him getting oil from urumqi. somebody over there definitely made the jet planes too, I forget if it was him or not. I want to say that the above game had some strategy featuring ahistorically advanced prop planes that worked pretty well

I also think this dude was the one who somehow understood how to manipulate the supply mechanics to get maximum throughput overland with a short hop from Korea so he could stockpile a poo poo ton on the home islands starting very early. I think he was playing a human even?

and to top it all off he actually had near-SA quality screenshots and explanations, which is a rarity over there

but I don't remember the link - something at matrix games.com, maybe. several cool AARs, after action reports I believe they call them, have been linked before in threads about this game, that's the only reason I know about them, so hopefully somebody who does have the links stops by
Crap that AAR sounds amazing
shame there is no link

i randomly remembered the author of the AAR's name (Lowpe) and bothered to do some googling, so five months and fifty pages later i would like to provide the requested link, and more. as some sort of disclaimer i should say i've never actually played this game, i just like reading about people playing it, but actual players seem to agree that these games and write-ups are pretty impressive and comprehensive

edit: these are all games against real people, who i get the impression are proficient at the Allied side in their own right

this is the AAR i think i was talking about. it's 270 pages long and goes from june 1942, when he picks up an abandoned, failing Japanese game, to January 1945:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3549450

here is the page where the guy took Chungking, although due to the nature of the game you'll want to read literally several dozen pages beforehand to really get a grasp of his strategy in that theater. this page also ends up being at the start of a few dozen pages that deal with the first big Allied attack on the Home Islands, i think:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3549450&mpage=145

and this is another AAR of his, also picking up an abandoned game as Japan. i think this was one where Japan was winning, and he tried to invade/raid the West Coast at one point. it's completely possible my little narrative above is conflated from both of these threads, it must have been years since i've read them. it's merely 129 pages long:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3549450

i've skimmed through both of the above in the last few days, but only a little. i don't know where the jet plane stuff might be, for example

here's his current effort, starting the game himself this time, also as Japan (always as Japan, it seems). i haven't read past the first page. it started in March 2017, it's active as of today, and it's 98 pages in as of now:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4252977

this guy, along with some of the better commentators, provide a TON of detail (veracity unverified) on mechanics. it's all scattered throughout these massive threads. i'm almost certain there's a huge detailed supply post somewhere in there. he also goes into tons of detail on, well, everything, but it's interesting to see what he has to say about pilot training, altitude selection, setting up japanese industry especially wrt developing, building, and using planes that can actually create unsustainable losses for the USA in 1944, the various weird specifics of ground combat, and other topics that are ridiculously obtuse. i would encourage people to dig through it and find some of his discussions on that sort of thing to quote ITT.

he doesn't have complete mastery though, for example he had one of those days where none of the KB's pilots decide to fly for no discernable reason at an incredibly bad time, so even this guy gets hosed by the UI, and even he can't avoid some of the frustration this game has to offer. i guess it's possible he's learned more since those threads though, they are years old and he has been actively playing from then to now. i guess i should read his newest one

does anybody know the syntax to only see one user's posts in a matrixgames thread? he quotes the worthwhile comments and responds to them or thanks the author.

if you click back to where the post i quoted was you'll see discussion about other AARs too, particularly one with a guy named Greyjoy. it's all in that forum. the links i've provided here could literally take months of your time to read already, though. i'll leave it at that

i may or may not be spending the next few months re-reading all of them

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 21, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

kibaces posted:

Wow talk about late christmas gifts!
thanks for the links man, now I think i'm going to retire from society until I finish them

im glad you saw the post :unsmith:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess the AI just can't keep up. good for GH. there were a few two-player LPs of this, i think, but i don't think any of them finished? hopefully somebody makes that happen someday

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Well, there's a neat trick in statistics to estimate just how many of the damnable things there really are. It's called the, well, the German Tank Problem after exactly this situation.

this reminds me of another fun statistical thing that came up in WWII - the USAAF surveyed returning bombers and mapped the locations where they got hit by flak, but the statisticians showed that the places to reinforce the armor were the places where no returning planes ever had flak hits (because planes hit in those locations by flak did not return to join the database). citations here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Wald

also the people who had to worry about managing trans-Atlantic shipping logistics kind of invented linear optimization, which sort of runs the world as explained by whats his name in Network (note: this has nothing to do with WWII)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9XeyBd_IuA

in general i feel like WWII came at a time when technology was powerful but still grasp-able in a way it isn't today. like, computer bugs were literal moths, if you wanted to do 1+1=2 you had to figure out a bunch of electrical engineering and have some lady who's probably smarter than you move all the settings around on your office-sized computer, and so many technologies from night vision to penicillin to radar to obviously nuclear were born in that time. it would've been an interesting time to be a rich white male nerd. also let's be honest if you wanted to be on the cutting edge you kinda had to be american too, not that the brits didn't have fun at bletchley park and whatnot

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 28, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lenoon posted:

Yeah only the first computer, the only operational allied jet fighter, radar, VT fuses, even hobarts funnies: the back room boffins were employed by the state to be big old brains doing nothing but thinking.

yeah i was trying to hard to be glib, came off dismissive. sorry yall

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that photoshop is sweet, and it looks like the real-life fijian commandos were pretty cool too

that's from this blog post, which seems like it's implying a sequel post with more info but idk where in the blog archive that might be. apparently they wore US camo and NZ boots :eng101:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

wasn't actual strategic bombing in this era lucky if it hit the same city as its target? am i exaggerating on this?

also what was japan's actual capacity wrt strategic bombing? they bombed manila, right, and shanghai? was that ad hoc stuff or did they have dedicated bombing campaigns from the '30s in china until they lost air superiority/fuel?

as to how the game models it i of course have no drat idea

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks very much for the education, last three posters. I bet there were interesting mechanical computers built into the later bombsights, that's all more accurate than I would've thought, though still not accurate enough it seems

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I can't believe they didn't create billions of simulated people based on census results or whatever and then made their WWII sim just one component of a human life cycle model of the most populous sector of the globe in this decade

I just can't believe it

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Did the Warsaw Pact counties use soviet gauge after the war?

according to these internet train people i googled, No.

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/p/136688/1536818.aspx

marknewton posted:

AltonFan posted:

I also seem to remember that during the Cold War, all Warsaw Pact countries were equipped with dual-guage track (5' and 4' 8.5") to facilitate Russian movement through the captive nations.
No, this is incorrect. The Warsaw Pact countries all remained standard gauge - there was no dual-gauging as you suggest.

Cheers,

Mark.

i assume this is the scholarly consensus

edit: oh and there's some other guy saying this too

quote:

I believe there are one or two bits of daul gauge track near the borders of what was the Soviet Union and one or two neighbouring countries, but only in a few areas where it lends itself to operational convenience.

but i think that's a really interesting question and im happy to read more about train gauges and logistics

by the way, another question: would soviet troops have accepted orders to attack the west after they finished beating germany? i get the impression american troops would not have been up for taking on the ussr, but i've never heard anything specific about soviet morale or about how they would've felt being told to keep fighting

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 18, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it sounds like people are pretty much corroborating my suspicion that the soviets had morale concerns too. sometimes i've felt like there's been an unspoken implication that the red army would have done anything while good ol gi joe just wanted to go home and enforce jim crow laws play some baseball

edit: as for the brits, i get the impression their attitude in 1945 was 'ok fine we just fought this loving war for you, now start building us the welfare state you promised*'. the country hadn't had an election since before (edit: right at the start of?) the drat great depression until 1945, i think, and they kicked churchill the gently caress out

the morale of those poor guys who had to go kill malaysians for the glory of the empire right after the war must've been through the floor. i've heard that those very early british efforts presaged the 20+ year indochinese quagmire that france and the us got to experience a little further north a little later on. maybe they were even involved in indonesia? i can't remember

*and by the way, full credit to the brits for doing what everybody who ever fights ANY war should do, but for some reason asking for something in return seems to fall through the cracks in most times and places. in high school american history we were kept completely 100% ignorant of the british welfare state and we were told how great the GI bill was for, like, offering scholarships (and other nice poo poo, but it wasn't the NHS). it seems a bit hypocritical when i bash the two facts into each other repeatedly, like a toddler playing with tonka trucks analyze the relevant facts

i suppose the key difference is that the united kingdom was deeply, lastingly scarred by the war, going heavily into debt and inflicting a lot of pain on themselves to keep the war going, and america was really not. was there a similar expansion of the postwar welfare state in australia, canada, etc, places that didn't get hit quite as hard by the war, and didn't demand as much sacrifice from the citizenry due to it (i guess), as the uk itself?

i guess another factor is that the uk was run by the conservatives in the '30s - maybe some of the post-1945 welfare state expansion was sort of a delayed new deal? i really don't know what kind of policies the conservatives pursued during the great depression, though. this seems like a complicated topic, i hope somebody comes along to educate me on it

also i've read the british rationed some things, steak or something, until like 1956 - how much of that was because of a genuine shortage even a decade after the war, and how much of it was a sort of social leveling scheme? my wikipedia skimming kinda suggested both

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 18, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I wonder if there was anybody overly educated on either side of that Salamis encounter

especially when these officers would've grown up, the battle of Salamis in the Peloponnesian war would've been one of the most famous naval battles in history and considered one of the turning points of Western Civilization itself

and maybe some of the people involved in loving up a little boat made that reference in their head while they were drowning or whatever

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

someone was asking about how historical the weather is in this game, and I don't know that although it's really interesting, but it reminded me that I think this map accurately depicts the course of the Yellow River in the period of the game

in I think 1938? the Chinese, who sometimes blame it on the Nazi general they had hanging around advising, deliberately blew up a levee that had been intentionally destroyed as an act of warfare as early as the 13th century and changed the course of the river by hundreds of miles. it would be like somebody redirecting the Mississippi to flow through Galveston in a few death filled months (oh yeah they barely told anybody, and the death toll was probably in the six figures)

so why did they redirect one of the largest rivers in the world? to delay the Japanese advance southwestward from roughly Beijing to the middle Yangtze River city of Wuhan. they delayed it by a couple of months and were able to evacuate a few more factories upriver to make Chongqing the self sustaining world within a world that we love. mission accomplished

oh and also the flooded region became a communist recruiting hotbed because everybody knew the koumintang did it, so much so that when the tottering kmt finally rebuilt the levee the Communists tried to sabotage the repairs. so I would say that the decision did not pay off

anyway the Yellow River is one of those rivers that moves hundreds of miles when not constrained and it's interesting that for the decade containing WWII the river was artificially redirected for a momentary tactical advantage, and it's kind of just disappeared into the mist

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

they could theoretically launch B-36's from the aleutians, i guess. googling indicates that dutch harbor and tokyo are ~4600km apart while darwin, australia and tokyo are ~5400km apart. considering the weather conditions in the aleutians it's probably not worth it, though

edit: also, The Doolittle Raid But With Nukes would be a great thing for this timeline. for any timeline, really

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also, the 30,000 people who loving drowned

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

overmind2000 posted:

For the Americans, that's one week around Rabaul.

i guess one would have to keep the full combat logs and run some code on 'em to count it up, but it'd be interesting to see how many pixelmen died at sea total, across the whole war, in one of these games. i bet even in a PBEM game it's way higher than historical, but i don't know the historical number either. i'm ignorant!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i cant wait to hear more about USO tour simulation, and lol that they named a ship after a HOF pitcher but i guess you run out of poo poo to name the things after a while

this is when i miss the summaries of ships that got sunk's IRL careers most of all

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

what if the AI sent enola gay and bockscar on a 1,000 foot mission against some patrol boats

i wouldnt be surprised

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 16, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah im smart

sorry

hopefully that wasnt too specific about anything

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 16, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

will the USSR invade Manchuria at some point or does that need a trigger the allies haven't come close to reaching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

did the IRL russians ever bomb the japanese mainland in 1945? googling just brings up a bunch of atom bomb stuff. if not, maybe there's a reason for that?