Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which top contender(s) will be one-and-done? (Can choose multiple)
New England
Cincinnati
Denver
Carolina
Arizona
View Results

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Calling it now, Houston loses at home to the Jags the last game to lose the division to the Colts. Also Giants going to be clownball champs and beat the Panthers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

Thanks for this. It's a good thread.

The Bills helmet is white now, though.

what are your thoughts on bills playoff hopes

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I present the most awful playoffs ever

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/mac...4~2~400791691~2

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Metapod posted:

This owns
I concur, Dalton would look pretty awful amazing in ridiculous shades, I've seen him in those bubble glasses already!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

NC-17 posted:

what are your thoughts on bills playoff hopes

They have a very favorable schedule, playing three NFC East teams in a row, and then finishing the season at home against a team they already beat on the road.

They'll still finish 2–2 down the stretch.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Find a way to flip the hair over and it's perfect.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Anaranjado posted:

Find a way to flip the hair over and it's perfect.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

AFC Wildcard is pretty uncomfortable. All 3 contenders at 7-5 deserve a spot. My Steelers have the toughest schedule and the worst tiebreakers. I kind of resent the Chiefs for stealing a win while Ben was out, but they played really well in that game and there's no guarantee of a different outcome with Ben. The Steelers have an elite offense that makes them one of the top contenders in the conference, but at this point they'll miss the playoffs. :(
That said, I doubt many here will be sorry if the Steelers miss the playoffs.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Steelers are probably the last team in the AFC I'd want to face in January right now.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Moxie posted:

AFC Wildcard is pretty uncomfortable. All 3 contenders at 7-5 deserve a spot. My Steelers have the toughest schedule and the worst tiebreakers. I kind of resent the Chiefs for stealing a win while Ben was out, but they played really well in that game and there's no guarantee of a different outcome with Ben. The Steelers have an elite offense that makes them one of the top contenders in the conference, but at this point they'll miss the playoffs. :(
That said, I doubt many here will be sorry if the Steelers miss the playoffs.

If Mariota or Cassel can lead an upset vs the Jets, or if the Steelers can upset @Cin then I feel pretty good about their shot at the #6. The Chiefs have a very easy closing schedule so they should go 10-6, possibly 11-5, and likely finish 5th, and I personally would expect one of NYJ/Pit to find a way to finish 3-1.

Of course Pit has three road divisional games and the Jets end with the Pats and Bills, so both stumbling to 9-7 and a bunch of tie-breakers coming into play between them and perhaps the Bills or Texans/Colts is equally possible.

The dream scenario imo is Pit #5 at Ind #4, so we'll see.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NC-17 posted:

The Steelers are probably the last team in the AFC I'd want to face in January right now.

This is the right thing. This is the true words

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

NC-17 posted:

I dunno. In big games it seems you can count on Tomlin to have at least one monumentally dumb decision that swings the game. But I agree, I'd much rather play KC or NYJ

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I still have faith that the Giants are the 4-year cicadas of the NFL but things look pretty grim right now, they lost a ton of close games but no NFC East team deserves to be in the playoffs. Still, as Clint Eastwood would say, "deserve ain't got nothing to do with it."

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

23 teams at 7-9, can anyone do better?

Also, five playoff teams with losing records.

e: got 24 - this is the most possible, every other team already has more than 7 wins (seven of them) or more than 9 losses (the Browns).

Xerol fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 9, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
It's pretty funny, really, how far ahead the Cards and Panthers are in the NFC. Arizona needs a single win plus a Seahawks loss to clinch the NFC West (or two wins), and so the only way the Seahawks win the division is if the Cards lose out and the Seahawks win out (if Arizona wins two of four, they clinch at 12-4). The Panthers have a 2-game lead on the Cards for the 1 seed, so the Cards would, really, need the Panthers to collapse the last few weeks to have a chance at the 1-seed. Arizona clinches a playoff berth with a single win.

But can the Cards lose the 2 seed, realistically? They get the Vikings, Philly, the Packers, and the Seahawks (all except Philly at home). If Arizona wins 2 of 4, they clinch the NFC West and can conceivably lock up the first-round bye before week 17. If they win 2 of 3 before the Hawks come to town, then they've eliminated either the Vikes or Packers from the 2 seed (if they go 2-1 and lose to Philly, they automatically clinch the first-round bye). So the Vikings and Packers have absolutely no room for error; if either lose between now and week 17, they are clinging to life support for that first-round bye. Tough schedule, but the toughest teams are at home and Arizona is playing as well as anyone right now.

So if the Cards keep a-rollin', they'll be able to rest their starters against the Seahawks, and oh my god I want to see how mad that makes them. Christ, Arizona might be able to rest its starters in week 16 if they beat the Vikings and Eagles and the Packers lose a game.

The Seahawks are in a decent position to make the playoffs, though I hope they don't. They have to go at least 3-1 against their remaining schedule, which is piss-easy (except for week 17 at Arizona). It looks like the only real contenders for a playoff spot are the Bucs, who have to go 4-0 against their remaining schedule, which is also piss-easy (except for week 17 at Carolina).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bitchmade: (adj) Anyone who is afraid of the Steelers.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

so i got bored and worked out top seed tiebreakers for the AFC.

-obviously the broncos have the tiebreaker over the patriots and whoever wins broncos/bengals has the tiebreaker there on head to head.
-if patriots/bengals goes to strength of victory that is virtually guaranteed to favor the patriots. thanks, browns
-three way tie where broncos beat bengals: broncos #1 by head-to-head (they beat both the others), then apply patriots/bengals tiebreaker for 2/3
-three way tie where bengals beat broncos: broncos #3 by conference record, then apply patriots/bengals tiebreaker for 1/2
-common games for patriots and bengals are steelers, bills, texans, and broncos.
-bengals play: steelers, 49ers, broncos, ravens. patriots play: texans, titans, jets, dolphins.

-patriots/bengals both 14-2: both 11-1 conference, both 4-1 in common games, so it goes to SoV (likely patriots are #1)
-patriots/bengals both 13-3, bengals loss is the 49ers: bengals win on conference record (10-2 vs 9-3)
-patriots/bengals both 13-3. patriots loss is the texans: if the bengals loss is the ravens they win on common games (4-1 vs 3-2). if the bengals loss is the steelers or broncos common games ties at 3-2 and it goes to SoV again.
-any other 13-3 tie: either the bengals lose on common games or it goes to SoV and they still lose.

i haven't thought about 12-4 but i think it's very similar to the 13-3 scenarios.

so basically i don't want there to be a tie! i hope the patriots freaking lose and the bengals dont!!!!!!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 9, 2015

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Man I am going to enjoy all the NFC playoff teams crawling all over each other trying to figure out how to avoid drawing Seattle in the wild card round. Seattle with blood all over the maw, that crazy look in their eye.

Right now it is Seattle visiting Green Bay, which is probably a worst case scenario for the Hawks. I just hate the idea of playing at Lambeau.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DancingMachine posted:

Man I am going to enjoy all the NFC playoff teams crawling all over each other trying to figure out how to avoid drawing Seattle in the wild card round. Seattle with blood all over the maw, that crazy look in their eye.

Right now it is Seattle visiting Green Bay, which is probably a worst case scenario for the Hawks. I just hate the idea of playing at Lambeau.

Right now the NFC East team would draw the Vikings which...I think is actually a favorable match-up for all of them. So NFC East fans need to hope the Seahawks stay as the 6 seed because I can't see any NFC East team beating them the way they're playing now.

Although a 7-9 NFC East team beating the Seahawks would be rather hilarious.

edit: Kalensc, what are the NFC scenarios?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

axeil posted:

edit: Kalensc, what are the NFC scenarios?

When I can find 30~ minutes between job 1, job 2, and all the prep work for upcoming holiday hoopla, I'll be editing in more useful analysis. I'm already 2 hours into another 10+ hour slog but maybe I'll sneak something in during a fourth coffee break. And a lot of it will be in conjunction/collaboration with the great posts provided by the big ol' marsh pussy, ghost of reagan, and other info-heavy posts, so thanks for all those everyone!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think the crazy part about the NFC is how no one is really out of it currently, although every 4-8 team will be eliminated this week with a loss and a Seahawks win, minus Dallas because they could still win their division.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Steelers' offense looks pretty unstoppable recently.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

kalensc posted:

When I can find 30~ minutes between job 1, job 2, and all the prep work for upcoming holiday hoopla, I'll be editing in more useful analysis. I'm already 2 hours into another 10+ hour slog but maybe I'll sneak something in during a fourth coffee break. And a lot of it will be in conjunction/collaboration with the great posts provided by the big ol' marsh pussy, ghost of reagan, and other info-heavy posts, so thanks for all those everyone!

Ooof. :smith: If I have some time this evening I could do a write up to save you some stress.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

three posted:

There offense is really, really good, but their defense is really bad. They stomped the Colts and Browns, but gave up 35 and 39 points to the Raiders and Seahawks respectively. The next two weeks will tell us a lot though if they lose either, they're in a bit of trouble.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Bengals winning the 1-and-done poll.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

three posted:

They played some bad defenses.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MrLogan posted:

This is a dumb handwaving, they just shat all over Seattle's defense two weeks ago. That offense is legit.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

Calling it now, Houston loses at home to the Jags the last game to lose the division to the Colts.

As a texans fan, this is the only way it could possibly happen.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Benne posted:

This is a dumb handwaving, they just shat all over Seattle's defense two weeks ago. That offense is legit.

MrLogan posted:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kalensc posted:

FYI, Philadelphia can be 6-9 and clinch the division before the final week. \:unsmith:/

This is crazy, and not all that farfetched, actually.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

aBagorn posted:

This is crazy, and not all that farfetched, actually.

What needs to happen? Win vs one of Buf/AZ and NYG and WAS both go 0-2?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

axeil posted:

What needs to happen? Win vs one of Buf/AZ and NYG and WAS both go 0-2?

e: formatting nicely

Consider the next three weeks in the NFCe

code:
             PHI            NYG             WAS             DAL
            (5-7)          (5-7)           (5-7)           (4-8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wk 14     BUF - L         MIA - L         CHI - L          GB - L

Wk 15     ARI - L         CAR - L         BUF - L         NYJ - L

Wk 16     WAS - W         MIN - L         PHI - L         BUF - L

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHI is 6-9 and clinched the NFCE

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 9, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

aBagorn posted:

NYG/DAL/WAS go 0-3
PHI goes 1-2, losing to BUF/ARI, beating WAS

:laffo:

I love the NFC East

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

aBagorn posted:

NYG/DAL/WAS go 0-3
PHI goes 1-2, losing to BUF/ARI, beating WAS

This season is garbage and I love it :allears:

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Roflex posted:

23 teams at 7-9, can anyone do better?

Also, five playoff teams with losing records.

e: got 24 - this is the most possible, every other team already has more than 7 wins (seven of them) or more than 9 losses (the Browns).

The tiebreaker listing for this one is amazing. Especially the AFC wildcards.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

axeil posted:

Ooof. :smith: If I have some time this evening I could do a write up to save you some stress.

I'd rather you write up my Thursday presentation so I can have some fun crunching playoff math. =P But ya, anything with analysis in it will get insert into the OP with thanks to the writer.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Kalli posted:

There offense is really, really good, but their defense is really bad. They stomped the Colts and Browns, but gave up 35 and 39 points to the Raiders and Seahawks respectively. The next two weeks will tell us a lot though if they lose either, they're in a bit of trouble.

The defense is sneaky good. They had a bad day against the Seahawks but really, only about three bad games all season and a few very good games against offenses like the Bengals and Cardinals. The high scoring offense complements them well. The secondary's not great but Heyward, Tuitt, and the blue chip linebackers are very dangerous.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Benne posted:

Colts, Browns, & Raiders all have pretty bad defenses. Seattle's defensive isn't terrible, but it isn't great. Seattle has benefited from playing some terrible offenses. Most of the decent teams they've played haven't had any trouble putting up points.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
The problem with Pittsburgh's offense is that you never know if it's gonna be Ben or Landry on any given series. The former is a 10-11 win team, the later is a 3-4 win team. Nobody knows exactly how healthy Ben is, not even Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Eifert Posting posted:

Bitchmade: (adj) Anyone who is afraid of the Steelers.

Bravemade: (adj) Anyone who opposes the foul and disgusting machinations of the hateful and wrong Pittsburgh Steelers!

• Locked thread