Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which top contender(s) will be one-and-done? (Can choose multiple)
New England
Cincinnati
Denver
Carolina
Arizona
View Results

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I hate the steelers n' ay'thang, but wtf was that poo poo, Parm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Chilichimp posted:

I hate the steelers n' ay'thang, but wtf was that poo poo, Parm?

It's called a joke, friend Chilichimp. That word I made up isn't in the dictionary and I was making a fun play on words. Everything I said about the Steelers is correct though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's called a joke, friend Chilichimp. That word I made up isn't in the dictionary and I was making a fun play on words. Everything I said about the Steelers is correct though.

*ping*

gently caress the Steelers.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think I just convinced myself that the Bills have a better playoff chance than the Jets

Schedule:

Bills (6-6, 3-2 division)

@PHI, @WAS, vs DAL, vs NYJ

Jets (7-5, 2-2 division)

vs TEN, @DAL, vs NE, @ BUF

Given the Bills' division record and previous win against the Jets, a win against the Jets will will clinch the tiebreaker over them. All they need to do is be tied or 1 game back of the Jets come Week 17, and given their soft schedule I think that's very possible. Figure they go 2-1 against the NFC East and the Jets go 2-1 (loss to NE). That would put the Bills in a potential win and in given what's going on in the rest of the league. If the Bills go 3-0 while the Jets go 1-2 or worse the Bills clinch the #2 spot in the division regardless of the outcome of the game, so long as one of the Jets' losses is to the Pats.

Speaking of the rest of the league...the Bills have a great shot at a wild card spot...assuming they're competing against the Steelers.

The Steelers are 4-4 in conference games while the Bills are 6-5. Since a win against the Jets is pretty much required to get the Bills into the playoff hunt that would put them at 7-5. The Steelers would have to win out (@ CIN, vs DEN, @ BAL, @ CLE) to beat the Bills' conference record, thus giving the Bills the edge in a matchup against the Steelers. If they tie it would come down to I believe a strength of victory tiebreaker, but given the Steelers' tough schedule I doubt they can finish better than 2-2.

There's also a chance if the Chiefs poo poo the bed they could take their spot, but the Chiefs strong conference record (6-2) makes it highly unlikely they could pass them.

So the short of it for Bills fans?

1. Be no more than 1 game behind the Jets come Week 17
2. Beat the Jets in Week 17
3. Steelers must lose AT LEAST 1 of their last 4 games and finish with a record equal to or less than the Bills, although ideally you want them to lose 2

That's it! Then the Bills are going to the playoffs for the first time in my memory. I really hope it happens :ohdear:

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 10, 2015

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So occasionally I look at sites that give percentages to enter the playoffs, such as these:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NFL.html
http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfl.html

Some of them use a 50/50 method of determining future results, while others use a weighted method based on team strength. But because these weighted numbers are different for each site the percentages vary across them.

For example:

PlayoffStatus.com (weighted)

SportsClubStats.com (weighted)

SportsClubStats.com (50/50)

The probabilities for the Colts qualifying in these examples are 66%, 56.5%, and 58.2%, respectively. Granted it's not much of a percentage difference, but it makes me feel uncertain about their methodology. I find it weird that SportsClubStats weights against the Colts a few percentage points below the random coin flip outcome (-2%), but PlayoffStatus weights the Colts many percentage points above it (+8%).

My question: Is there any merit to using these sites? I know it's hard trying to use numbers to determine the outcome of a chaotic human event, but perhaps there's a site out there with trustworthy methodology. I don't know, I'm getting a dubious feeling from them, and I don't see any posts citing them here.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Donkwich posted:

So occasionally I look at sites that give percentages to enter the playoffs, such as these:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NFL.html
http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfl.html

Some of them use a 50/50 method of determining future results, while others use a weighted method based on team strength. But because these weighted numbers are different for each site the percentages vary across them.

For example:

PlayoffStatus.com (weighted)

SportsClubStats.com (weighted)

SportsClubStats.com (50/50)

The probabilities for the Colts qualifying in these examples are 66%, 56.5%, and 58.2%, respectively. Granted it's not much of a percentage difference, but it makes me feel uncertain about their methodology. I find it weird that SportsClubStats weights against the Colts a few percentage points below the random coin flip outcome (-2%), but PlayoffStatus weights the Colts many percentage points above it (+8%).

My question: Is there any merit to using these sites? I know it's hard trying to use numbers to determine the outcome of a chaotic human event, but perhaps there's a site out there with trustworthy methodology. I don't know, I'm getting a dubious feeling from them, and I don't see any posts citing them here.

I used to use them but they're not very intelligent systems as they tend not to factor in recent performance. I think ESPN's FPI and FO's Playoff Report are fairly accurate as they're based on a power ranking system. You can quibble with the power ranking system but at the end of the day they're coming up with some method for figuring out the whole league. These sites aren't as thorough in figuring out the percentages, but it's not bad to get a ballpark estimate.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have created a masterpiece!

Featuring:

*A four way 6-10 tie in the NFC East, with everyone at 3-3 in the division! (Philly makes the playoffs)!
*A four way 7-9 tie in the AFC South, with everyone at 3-3 in the division! (Tennessee makes the playoffs)!
*A four way tie atop the AFC between the Broncos (5th seed), Patriots (3rd seed), Bengals (2nd seed) and Chiefs (1st seed)!
*Ties for both the NFC North and West, with Green Bay and Minnesota finishing 10-6 (Green Bay is the 3rd seed, Minnesota gets left out) and Seattle and Arizona finishing 11-5 (Seattle is the 2nd seed, Arizona is the 5th)!
*Tampa Bay stealing the 6th seed from Minnesota by improbably finishing 10-6!
*A three way tie for the AFC 6th seed, with the Jets taking it over the Steelers and Bills!
*Only one team finishing below 6-10 (The Cleveland Browns, of course), creating a huge dog pile between 10 different teams at 6-10 and another 5 teams at 7-9 (and that's not counting the two teams with those records in the playoffs)!
*And the Chicago Bears, who managed to not play a part in any of the above ties, finishing a boring 8-8 and picking in the middle of the draft, thus stalling any sort of great retooling that could bring them success any time soon.

The fictional playoffs:

Wild Card:
AFC:
Denver v. Tennessee
New England v. New York
NFC:
Green Bay v. Tampa Bay
Arizona v. Philadelphia

Divisional:
AFC:
Kansas City v. Denver
New England v. Cincinnati
NFC:
Carolina v. Arizona
Seattle v. Green Bay

Conference:
AFC:
New England v. Denver
NFC:
Carolina v. Seattle

Super Bowl:
Carolina v. New England

(wait that still ended up boring)

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 10, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Featuring:

*A four way 6-10 tie in the NFC East, with everyone at 3-3 in the division! (Philly makes the playoffs)!
*A four way 7-9 tie in the AFC South, with everyone at 3-3 in the division! (Tennessee makes the playoffs)!
*A four way tie atop the AFC between the Broncos (5th seed), Patriots (3rd seed), Bengals (2nd seed) and Chiefs (1st seed)!
*Ties for both the NFC North and West, with Green Bay and Minnesota finishing 10-6 (Green Bay is the 3rd seed, Minnesota gets left out) and Seattle and Arizona finishing 11-5 (Seattle is the 2nd seed, Arizona is the 5th)!
*A three way tie for the AFC 6th seed, with the Jets taking it over the Steelers and Bills!
*Only one team finishing below 6-10 (The Cleveland Browns, of course), creating a huge dog pile between 10 different teams at 6-10 and another 5 teams at 7-9 (and that's not counting the two teams with those records in the playoffs)!
*And the Chicago Bears, who managed to not play a part in any of the above ties, finishing a boring 8-8 and picking in the middle of the draft, thus stalling any sort of great retooling that could bring them success any time soon.

The fictional playoffs:

Wild Card:
AFC:
Denver v. Tennessee
New England v. New York
NFC:
Green Bay v. Tampa Bay
Arizona v. Philadelphia

Divisional:
AFC:
Kansas City v. Denver
NFC:
Carolina v. Arizona
Seattle v. Green Bay

Conference:
AFC:
New England v. Denver
NFC:
Carolina v. Seattle

Super Bowl:
Carolina v. New England

Welp, we've done it. We don't need to make any more wacky playoff scenarios as I don't think anyone else can cram in as much crazy as this one scenario has.

Oh and the best part of this is that Philly clinches the division at 6-9 in Week 16.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yoshifan823 posted:

Featuring:

The fictional playoffs:

Wild Card:
AFC:
Denver v. Tennessee
New England v. New York
NFC:
Green Bay v. Tampa Bay
Arizona v. Philadelphia

Divisional:
AFC:
Kansas City v. Denver
NFC:
Carolina v. Arizona
Seattle v. Green Bay

Conference:
AFC:
New England v. Denver
NFC:
Carolina v. Seattle

Super Bowl:
Carolina v. New England

Should have sent a poet.

This is the Mona Lisa of Clownball.

:allears:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well I have decided I would rather see Tom Brady cry then have the Colts beat the Chiefs in hilarious fashion in the playoffs so Go Texans I want to see some tears.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

axeil posted:

That's it! Then the Bills are going to the playoffs for the first time in my memory. I really hope it happens :ohdear:

Thanks for this.

The Bills playoff hopes do exist (and not just in a Dumb and Dumber type way), but it's hard for me to see them running the table, even against a soft schedule. The one thing you can say about the NFC East teams is that they have a knack for pulling off unexpected victories.

If Buffalo can sweep the Jets, I'll be satisfied.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Carolina is obviously going to go undefeated in the regular season only to lose their first game in the playoffs on a field goal.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
As a relative football newbie and New England-born Bengals fan, all I'm hoping for is for the Bengals to break their 25 year streak of no playoff wins.

However, being surrounded by Patriots fans has made me paranoid that Cincinnati will somehow end up playing New England in their first playoff game (Bengals Seed #2, Pats Seed #3), and get stomped out of the playoffs without a win again.

Luckily, that is an unlikely scenario in the first place, and obviously Andy Dalton is going to break the Prime Time curse and we are all gonna ride the Tiger Train right to the Superbowl. :c00l:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Rabble posted:

Carolina is obviously going to go undefeated in the regular season only to lose their first game in the playoffs 63-0 to the 6-10 Eagles.

ftfy

also I would gladly sacrifice my own team's playoff chances for a ridiculous clownball scenario like the 6-10 NFC East champs shutting out every opponent on their way to winning the Super Bowl

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Actually, re: Buffalo playoff hopes, the Steelers/Bengals matchup this weekend is super important, arguably more so than the Bills' game this weekend. Before getting to conference record (where Buffalo has a big leg up), we have to look at common opponents. Buffalo is 1–4 in those games while Pittsburgh is 1–3; a Bengals loss would bring the Steeler to 1–4 in those games.

So, in a nutshell, Buffalo will have a tiebreaker over the Steelers if the Bengals win this weekend, but Pittsburgh will own the tiebreaker with a victory (as well as remaining a game up on the Bills, of course).

But the Bills will lose to the Cowboys in the Matt Cassel revenge game somehow so this will all be moot.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Does anyone know if 538 is still doing those cool "this is how much each game means to each team" charts they did last year?

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
The New York Times has a fairly detailed simulator this year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Panthers have clinched a bye week in the playoffs.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I thought Carolina needed a win or a loss by the Vikings AND the Packers to clinch a bye

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Carolina beat Green Bay, Vikings are now at 5 losses. Even if both are 12-4, Carolina wins via head to head, no?

Edit: Didn't factor in them, Cardinals and Packers all being 12-4. I'm sure some form of shenanigans causes Carolina to get knocked down.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 11, 2015

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm not really sure, most sites claim Minnesota and Green Bay need to lose (if Carolina doesn't win). It's possible for Carolina, Arizona, and Green Bay to all end up with the same record. Since no individual team beat the other two, it would go to conference record I think (and if Carolina is losing games at this point, it's to all NFC teams)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kirios posted:

Carolina beat Green Bay, Vikings are now at 5 losses. Even if both are 12-4, Carolina wins via head to head, no?

Edit: Didn't factor in them, Cardinals and Packers all being 12-4. I'm sure some form of shenanigans causes Carolina to get knocked down.

According to that dope NYT simulator, the only (and I do mean only) way for Carolina to not have a bye after Arizona's win tonight is:

*Panthers lose out
*Packers win out
*Cardinals lose to Packers, win exactly one of (Eagles, Seahawks)

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
guys i made a playoff bracket and its most likely the correct one so theres no need to make anymore

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Chromatic posted:

guys i made a playoff bracket and its most likely the correct one so theres no need to make anymore

I want to see brackets that lead to a 2015 Saints SB win, not "what's probably going to happen", dammit. :colbert:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chromatic posted:

Atlanta wins another game? Fraudulent.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ghlbtsk posted:

Wow this thing is insane, and very fun to play around with. And you can copy the link of your scenario to show others.

I made some scenarios for some unlikely teams to make the playoffs:

AFC
Dolphins
Ravens
Titans
Jaguars
Raiders

NFC
Cowboys
Lions
Bears
Saints
Falcons
Rams
49ers

Theoretically there is one for the Chargers, but I have absolutely no idea how to find it.

Also here are some ridiculous elimination scenarios:

AFC
Patriots
Bengals
Broncos

NFC
Packers
Seahawks

Donkwich fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 11, 2015

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Donkwich posted:

Wow this thing is insane, and very fun to play around with. And you can copy the link of your scenario to show others.

I made some scenarios for some unlikely teams to make the playoffs:

Theoretically there is one for the Chargers, but I have absolutely no idea how to find it.

I had to use the ESPN one to see why, but they need a strength of victory tiebreaker over KC which they are currently losing badly.
Here's a start. They basically need the entire AFC to bend to their will, starting with the Browns and Jaguars winning out.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 14, 2015

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That playoff calculator is neat as hell.

It's nuts to think that Miami beating New England + random team has the same chance of playoffs than if Miami beats all 3 of their upcoming opponents and drops one to New England.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

ghlbtsk posted:

I. Can't. Stop. Using. This.

And guys, I think some of those broad percentages on the front are misleading. Specifically the Buccs - look at that cake schedule. Saints (home), Rams, Bears (home), Panthers in week 17 when the Panthers have locked up #1 seed and send out 3rd stringers. They're like 60% if they can win 3 out of 4 of those.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 11, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

BabeLiker90 posted:

I. Can't. Stop. Using. This.

Seriously, I've spent the best part of an hour seeing how I could get each team in.

It's one of those "easier on paper" deals. It makes you believe complete Hail Mary longshots are likely.

DID YOU KNOW: The Raiders are a lock for the playoffs and all they have to do is win all the rest of their games, the Chargers beat the Chiefs, the Titans beat the Jets, the Eagles beat the Bills and the Cowboys beat the Jets? THAT COULD TOTALLY HAPPEN.

:smith:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Cowboys beat the Jets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WfFC1681Vg

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Phone posting, so no link or image but I came up with a fun scenario where the Colts win the AFCS at 8-8, the Eagles win the NFCE at 7-9 and the Vikings grab the last wildcard spot at 8-8.

I'm just sitting here imagining how unwatchable ESPN will be with a 7-9 team hosting an 8-8 team for the playoffs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Q_res posted:

Phone posting, so no link or image but I came up with a fun scenario where the Colts win the AFCS at 8-8, the Eagles win the NFCE at 7-9 and the Vikings grab the last wildcard spot at 8-8.

I'm just sitting here imagining how unwatchable ESPN will be with a 7-9 team hosting an 8-8 team for the playoffs.

How would that happen? The Eagles would be the 4 seed so they'll play the 5 not the 6.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Dammit, you're right of course. I was trying to go off memory and got it backwards.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

fsif posted:

If Buffalo can sweep the Jets, I'll be satisfied.

Rex would be too, i think. That final Jets game is going to be insanely stressful.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

CBS has an...interesting...scenario:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If any team is getting free wins for bye weeks, it's New England

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Roflex posted:

They just know that the Bengals are losing their first playoff game. So, 14-3

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Roflex posted:

Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chargers, Lions, Ravens, 49ers and Titans eliminated from playoff contention.

• Locked thread