Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which top contender(s) will be one-and-done? (Can choose multiple)
New England
Cincinnati
Denver
Carolina
Arizona
View Results

• Locked thread
Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

No Butt Stuff posted:

Carolina got flexed to the afternoon spot to, to avoid this scenario.

boooooooo :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
As long as the packers don't get in, I'm happy.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
well, I've got some bad news for you...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the news is that they clinched a spot last week. I noticed that the news wasn't posted, by accident, so I have put it on here in this thread

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington had a great weekend. Of course they won and clinched the 4 seed, but the fact that they may not have to play Seattle in the WC round after it looked like Seattle all but locked up the 5 seed is great news. I'd much rather play Minnesota or Green Bay at home instead of Seattle.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pretty big game tonight for playoff implications.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Ozu posted:

Pretty big game tonight for playoff implications.

Of note, a Bengals win would give the Steelers an additional path to back into the playoffs.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Moxie posted:

Of note, a Bengals win would give the Steelers an additional path to back into the playoffs.

Mixed feelings about this...I'd love to keep the steelers out, but a bye is definitely a better situation for the bengals. Just win baby?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Don't the Colts need like a thousand wacky scenarios to win the AFC South at this point?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think it's really cool how the NFL is proactively adjusting the schedule to keep certain teams motivated to play these last 2 weeks. Feel like they didn't do this as much in the past

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pron on VHS posted:

I think it's really cool how the NFL is proactively adjusting the schedule to keep certain teams motivated to play these last 2 weeks. Feel like they didn't do this as much in the past

Backloading the schedule with divisional games is legit one of the best things Goodell has ever done

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Benne posted:

Backloading the schedule with divisional games is legit one of the best things Goodell has ever done

It needs to be just one. Two back to back is bad and cheap.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I just looked it up and here's what needs to happen for the Colts to steal the AFC South.

Broncos beat the Bengals
Colts beat the Titans
Steelers beat the Browns
Broncos beat the Chargers
Falcons beat the Saints
Bills beat the Jets
Jaguars beat the Texans
Dolphins beat the Patriots
Ravens beat the Bengals
Raiders beat the Chiefs

That scenario would give Indy the strength of schedule tiebreaker over Houston.

No problem, right?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I vaguely remember some team a few years back being in a similar situation where they needed like 5 things to break for them and it all happened except they lost their game. I can't remember who it was

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Goetta posted:

I vaguely remember some team a few years back being in a similar situation where they needed like 5 things to break for them and it all happened except they lost their game. I can't remember who it was

2013 Chargers. They entered week 16 with like a 1% chance to make the playoffs and literally everything happened.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

2013 Chargers. They entered week 16 with like a 1% chance to make the playoffs and literally everything happened.

Yeah but you won that game...oh, nice of you to give the Chiefs the win they deserved because--I don't remember what happened, was San Diego offside on a last second field goal KC missed or something? I remember there was some reason the Chargers supposedly should have lost.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah but you won that game...oh, nice of you to give the Chiefs the win they deserved because--I don't remember what happened, was San Diego offside on a last second field goal KC missed or something? I remember there was some reason the Chargers supposedly should have lost.

San Diego had one side of the line overloaded and KC missed like a 30 yard field goal for the win, and it wasn't called. It kept Pittsburgh out of the playoffs that year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ross Angeles posted:

It kept Pittsburgh out of the playoffs that year.

A good and just cause IMO

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Seahawks should hope the 6th seed. I'd take Packers and Panthers over Redskins and Cardinals.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Benne posted:

A good and just cause IMO

The one moment I'd have wanted Reid to decline the penalty just to lose the game.

Is it still technically possible for the Chiefs to steal the #2 seed, or has that ship sailed?

EDIT: I imagine it'd have to include Denver beating Cincinnati tonight and then losing to the Chargers while Cincy lost again to close out the season Nope Cincy has the head to head tiebreaker over the Chiefs, oh well.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

three posted:

Seahawks should hope the 6th seed. I'd take Packers and Panthers over Redskins and Cardinals.

The Packers have played what, one decent game in the last two months?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Nodoze posted:

The Packers have played what, one decent game in the last two months?

Yeah what the gently caress happened there? Also when we played @ Minnesota, the hawks destroyed them in all phases of the game thanks largely to all their injuries.

My gut is always like "lol obviously we wanna play versus redskins rather than packers" but it's getting weird.

I wasn't following SA:TFF closely over the holidays, but there was something about WR's yelling at Rodgers or something?

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Benne posted:

I just looked it up and here's what needs to happen for the Colts to steal the AFC South.

Broncos beat the Bengals
Colts beat the Titans
Steelers beat the Browns
Broncos beat the Chargers
Falcons beat the Saints
Bills beat the Jets
Jaguars beat the Texans
Dolphins beat the Patriots
Ravens beat the Bengals
Raiders beat the Chiefs

That scenario would give Indy the strength of schedule tiebreaker over Houston.

No problem, right?

Colts still in the hunt lmao. Just waiting on my 19000 bux payout on a :10bux: bet

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So it looks like the only things that aren't set are:

AFC

-Who gets a bye? (Cincy/Denver)
-AFC South Winner (Ind/Tex)
-AFC West Winner (Den/KC)
-AFC WC #6 (NYJ, Pitt, Den/KC)

NFC

-#1 Seed (AZ/Car)
-NFC North Winner (GB/Min)
-WC Seeding (Sea, GB/Min)

Honestly it seems a bit boring this year after the craziness in the past years.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

AFC #5 Seed could also be the Jets/Den/KC/Pitt

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

AFC #5 Seed could also be the Jets/Den/KC/Pitt

Ah thanks, forgot about that. So I guess the AFC WC race is probably the most exciting thing? It's the only spot where a team could miss the playoffs, as the Colts need a minor miracle to make the playoffs so I've pretty much written them off.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jets could miss the playoffs or play anyone from HOU, DEN, KC, and CIN depending on seed.

If they win, they will either play HOU or CIN though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

axeil posted:

So it looks like the only things that aren't set are:

AFC

-Who gets a bye? (Cincy/Denver)
-AFC South Winner (Ind/Tex)
-AFC West Winner (Den/KC)
-AFC WC #6 (NYJ, Pitt, Den/KC)

NFC

-#1 Seed (AZ/Car)
-NFC North Winner (GB/Min)
-WC Seeding (Sea, GB/Min)

Honestly it seems a bit boring this year after the craziness in the past years.

AFC #1 seed still up in the air.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Don't think Pit can get 5, they are too far behind Denver and they lost the H2H to K.C so the only team they can pass is the Jets to sneak into the 6th spot. I'm doing this in my head while on the way to another family shindig so I may be incorrect on the tie-breakers.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
KC and NYJ playing on WC weekend is nearly impossible unless a ton of crazy stuff happens, I think. Which is good, because I'd rather play Houston or Denver, Fitzpatrick destroyed the Chiefs on those Chan Gailey Bills squads so no thanks to playing the improved version on a much better roster

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pitt can get 5 if KC gets #3.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

No Butt Stuff posted:

Which would be a hilarious outcome because you'd have KC at #3, Pitt at #5, and Denver at #6, setting up KC versus Denver round three in Arrowhead.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not seeing how. Four teams can earn wild cards: Den, K.C., NYJ, and Pit. Pit cannot match Den in wins overall, so Den is ahead of them for sure. In a H2H tie with K.C then Pit is behind them as well. Pit would pass the NYJ though if they were tied, and get #6.

Pit could have earned #5 had Denver lost to Cincy or had Pit defeated Balt, but both of those put Pit on the outside at #7 with a best-case of finishing #6.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

kalensc posted:

I'm not seeing how. Four teams can earn wild cards: Den, K.C., NYJ, and Pit. Pit cannot match Den in wins overall, so Den is ahead of them for sure. In a H2H tie with K.C then Pit is behind them as well. Pit would pass the NYJ though if they were tied, and get #6.

Pit could have earned #5 had Denver lost to Cincy or had Pit defeated Balt, but both of those put Pit on the outside at #7 with a best-case of finishing #6.

I feel like there's a really good chance Pitt is gonna finish 10-6 and out of the playoffs, which would be the second year in a row a PA team goes 10-6 and misses the playoffs after losing a game they should've won in Week 16.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

KC and NYJ playing on WC weekend is nearly impossible unless a ton of crazy stuff happens, I think. Which is good, because I'd rather play Houston or Denver, Fitzpatrick destroyed the Chiefs on those Chan Gailey Bills squads so no thanks to playing the improved version on a much better roster
Yeah I think you're right on this one. Jets as 6 seed plays Bengals; 5 seed plays Texans.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Pron on VHS posted:

I don't like any of those matchups. It makes me nervous!

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
I want the option that gets us Bengals vs Steelers Round 3. What do we need for this to happen?

three fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 29, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kalensc posted:

Denver loses, KC wins, NYJ lose, Pitt Wins. Pitt has the tie breaker over Denver.

e: oh wait, yeah you're right.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

No Butt Stuff posted:

Denver loses, KC wins, NYJ lose, Pitt Wins. Pitt has the tie breaker over Denver.

Denver has 11 wins, Pitt can only get to 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Parmesan Basil posted:

I don't like any of those matchups. It makes me nervous!

All have front sevens that can destroy the Chiefs OL

• Locked thread