Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which top contender(s) will be one-and-done? (Can choose multiple)
New England
Cincinnati
Denver
Carolina
Arizona
View Results

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pron on VHS posted:

All have front sevens that can destroy the Chiefs OL

80% of the NFL has front sevens that can destroy the Chiefs OL. Our OL sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Strobe posted:

It's had flashes of being decent. Morse being back has been a boon.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Two breakdowns coming when I return home from the week-long multi-province all-the-cities holiday-road-trip: conference/division/draft races like usual, and then I'll toss together a team-by-team best-case/worst-case scenario listing. It's all been covered here and elsewhere, so I'll just be making a compact summary that anyone can refer to easily.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

No Butt Stuff posted:

Denver loses, KC wins, NYJ lose, Pitt Wins. Pitt has the tie breaker over Denver.

e: oh wait, yeah you're right.

I mean, I really wish you were right! But alas, those damned Ravens, putting a damper on my annual road trip to Heinz Field and on Xmas weekend, what a bunch of jerks!

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

three posted:

I want the option that gets us Bengals vs Steelers Round 3. What do we need for this to happen?

I'd rather not see a game with a death toll.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

korrandark posted:

I'd rather not see a game with a death toll.

Somebody hates fun.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

three posted:

I want the option that gets us Bengals vs Steelers Round 3. What do we need for this to happen?

Denver wins, Cinci loses, Jets lose, Pitt wins.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Pron on VHS posted:

All have front sevens that can destroy the Chiefs OL

Exactly. AFC Ds are pretty good this year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Strobe posted:

That really drives home just how impressive Alex Smith has been this season.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chichevache posted:

That really drives home just how impressive Alex Smith has been this season.

Say it louder, I don't think Parm is writhing in agony yet.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Benne posted:

I just looked it up and here's what needs to happen for the Colts to steal the AFC South.

Broncos beat the Bengals :siren:
Colts beat the Titans
Steelers beat the Browns
Broncos beat the Chargers
Falcons beat the Saints
Bills beat the Jets
Jaguars beat the Texans
Dolphins beat the Patriots
Ravens beat the Bengals
Raiders beat the Chiefs

That scenario would give Indy the strength of schedule tiebreaker over Houston.

No problem, right?
Also, if either the Steelers or the Raiders lose (but not both), but all the rest happens as needed, then Indy could still get in. Indy and Houston would be tied in SoS, so it would move to tie-breaker 7: Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Right now, Houston's PF+PA combined rank is (11+6t) = 17. Indy's is (12+13) = 25. However, the teams in the bottom half of those rankings are not that far apart, so it's not too far fetched (well, not too much more far fetched than what we already did to get this far) for Houston to drop to 12+7=19 and Indy to rise to 9+9 = 18, thus giving Indy that tie breaker.

If Houston and Indy somehow managed to remain tied with that tie breaker, they'd go to the tie breaker based on league PF-PA rankings instead of conference rankings. I'm not going to get into that further because NFL.com doesn't show numerical rankings on it's league standings page, though I will note that the two teams are right next to each other on the league-wide PF rankings and pretty far apart on the PA rankings, with similar clustering of the other teams.

If that one's tied, then it goes to the various net points tiebreakers, which Houston wins pretty handily unless both IND-TEN and JAX-HOU end up as epic blowouts.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
If the Seahawks beat the Cards and the Vikings lose at Green Bay in Week 17...then the Vikings have to play the Packers at Green Bay the very next week AGAIN.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I really want to see them have to use the obscure tiebreakers 7 and up. I wonder how many seasons we'd have to see until a coin toss seems like a probable way to resolve ties.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Shiki Dan posted:

If the Seahawks beat the Cards and the Vikings lose at Green Bay in Week 17...then the Vikings have to play the Packers at Green Bay the very next week AGAIN.

Things did not end well the last time the Vikings and Packers played in Week 17 and the WC round, although fans of the other 31 teams did get to enjoy the Joe Webb Experience and AP learning that he didn't break the record live in an interview.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Shiki Dan posted:

The 2009 season ended with Packers @ Cardinals, and whatever the outcome of that game was, WC game was Packers @ Cardinals. It was like a preseason game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Qwijib0 posted:

The 2009 season ended with Packers @ Cardinals, and whatever the outcome of that game was, WC game was Packers @ Cardinals. It was like a preseason game.

I remember that game, it was clowny as heck and hilarious

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
IIRC, 3 of 4 WC games in the 2009 season were rematches of week 17 games, and only one of those changed locations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Shiki Dan posted:

Same thing happened between the Broncos and Raiders in 1993

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Same thing happened between the Broncos and Raiders in 1993

It's probably not completely rare, it happened with the Raiders and Chiefs in Todd Marinovich's first year too. One of those things that you're more likely to remember if it's your own team, which is why we'd know that off the top of our heads.

e: Oops I missed like 5 posts there saying the same thing. Also the Marinovich thing switched stadiums so I'm wrong too!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wasn't 2012 a Week 17 Vikings @ Packers, where if the Packers won they got the bye and if the Vikings won they got the wild card? And the Vikings won? And then lost the next week at Lambeau?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wasn't 2012 a Week 17 Vikings @ Packers, where if the Packers won they got the bye and if the Vikings won they got the wild card? And the Vikings won? And then lost the next week at Lambeau?

I think that was the week when Joe Webb was finally freed

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

You are both correct. That is what I was referencing above, but failed to include a year.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
In fact, I think it's possible that GB's last 4 games go @AZ, vs MIN, vs MIN, @AZ

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bigmcgaffney posted:

In fact, I think it's possible that GB's last 4 games go @AZ, vs MIN, vs MIN, @AZ

Yes, and this is hilarious and should happen.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
disagree, that would be dumb and lame.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ross Angeles posted:

I think that was the week when Joe Webb was finally freed

Joe Webb was too beautiful for this world

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yes, and this is hilarious and should happen.

counterpoint: this scenario would necessitate the packers beating the vikings at least once, this is a lovely thing that shouldn't happen if you're a person who Likes Football

(packers fans are still allowed to Like Football while rooting for this scenario)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The AFC field is set

1. Broncos
2. Patriots
3. Bengals
4. Texans
5. Chiefs
6. Steelers

The NFC North still needs to be decided tonight, and that will determine several seedings.

IF PACKERS WIN:

1. Panthers
2. Cardinals
3. Packers
4. Skins
5. Seahawks
6. Vikings

IF VIKINGS WIN:

1. Panthers
2. Cardinals
3. Vikings
4. Skins
5. Packers
6. Seahawks

Basically the Seahawks are still waiting to see where they travel to next week (and possibly what day they play, which is a big deal given all the injuries we still have).

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

if im the vikings I lose this game on purpose

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
gently caress that, win every game you can.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

No way. If you're getting to the Superbowl you have to go through the tough teams anyways and I'd rather have "Division Champion" on the mantle piece.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ross Angeles posted:

Yes I'm sure they'd love to miss out on hosting a playoff game and all the extra revenue that comes with it :cmon:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want to see the Golden Gophers host a playoff game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ross Angeles posted:

They can't play Washington and even if they could gently caress that.

Also anyone who watched that 2012 playoff game knows that Webb was anything but "freed" that game.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ross Angeles posted:

They really tried.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

They can't play Washington and even if they could gently caress that.

Also anyone who watched that 2012 playoff game knows that Webb was anything but "freed" that game.

I'd rather go to Green Bay again than host Seattle but hey.

Go Vikings regardless

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.

Goetta posted:

I want to see the Golden Gophers host a playoff game

Next week is pretty much the closest you're ever getting to that.

I don't have high hopes against the Seahawks, but even so, Skol.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Why is New England ahead of Cincinnati, anyways? The Bengals seem like they'd have better strength of schedule to me. They played seven games against playoff teams. Pit x2, KC, ARI, SEA, HOU and DEN. The Pats played 4. The Bengals played the NFC west and AFC west, the Pats played the AFC South and NFC East.

Both have equal conference records and the Bengals have a higher Division record. Only the Patriots could play the two weakest divisions in football and still beat out a team on SOS.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Record in common opponents. Bengals were 3-2 v Bills, Steelers, Texans, Broncos. Pats were 4-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Oh my loving god that loving Texas game fuuuuuck.

• Locked thread