Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea the UI for that bit is god awful. I'm wondering if there is some build that is like full block + riposte+reckoning or something hilarious like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

How newbie friendly is this game for someone who hasn't played since Beta? Considering giving it another go with all the changes, etc.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Obscurity posted:

How newbie friendly is this game for someone who hasn't played since Beta? Considering giving it another go with all the changes, etc.

Just follow a guide for your build so you don't waste skill points and it's pretty straight forward.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Just went and played around with blade vortex a little bit on a standard league character and now I'm really really debating dropping the frost blades ranger and doing blade vortex because haha it's funny as hell.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I just re-installed this for the new league so only four more hours of character planning and I'll be leveling my duder.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

thehandtruck posted:

Wow contagion feels so weak even with void manip

You cast Contaigion, then Essence Drain. ED is then applied to everything that has contagion on it. Enjoy laying down mobs like trees from the Tunguska Event.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Cool things about ED:

The projectile portion directly affects the DoT afterwards. So putting things like LMP, GMP, Chain or Slower Proj on it will modify the DoT either positively or negatively. This is making me want to run ED in a Sire of Shards more than ever.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Vasudus posted:

Cool things about ED:

The projectile portion directly affects the DoT afterwards. So putting things like LMP, GMP, Chain or Slower Proj on it will modify the DoT either positively or negatively. This is making me want to run ED in a Sire of Shards more than ever.

Slower projectiles with 100% pierce. Just leave a bullet hell minefield for mobs to walk through.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NecroMonster posted:

not visually, no, but the only amulets that drop normally are tier 1. higher tiers only come from using talismans on the alter and will always be one tier higher than the five amulets you used to summon it.

You can tell them apart by the item picture actually. Tier 1 talismen has white strings, tier 2 have little black beads on their string, dunno about tier 3 yet.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Bluemillion posted:

You cast Contaigion, then Essence Drain. ED is then applied to everything that has contagion on it. Enjoy laying down mobs like trees from the Tunguska Event.

You aren't loving joking, Contagion+Essence Drain is some turboebola type poo poo. I just need some better linked stuff so I can throw Faster casting on both, because it feels really lovely to combo them at base cast speed. I'm thinking eventually ED-FC-Void Manipulation-Controlled Demolition-Increased Duration and Contagion-FC-Inc Dur-Increased AoE, presuming the AoE (and thus the range) of Contagion's infect on kill gets increased.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish they'd make a unique staff or something that lets you link two actives and have them cast at the same moment... Like you can link Ball Lightning and Conductivity, so it shoots the curse at your curse and a ball lightning in that direction. IDK. It would be more inefficient than just using Curse on Hit or just Lightning Penetration or the new curse auras, but it would be cool. Or something silly like Cold Snap and Lightning Mark or whatever its called.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Kind of bummed there isn't a threshold jewel for all the starter jewels yet. There's one more to be revealed and the following skills that only require level 1 don't have one:
Cleave
Infernal Blow
Lightning Strike
Molten Strike
Double Strike
Dual Strike
Elemental Hit
Ethereal Knives
Fire Trap
Frost Blades
Ice Shot
Shrapnel Shot (I'm betting Volley Fire is for this)
Split Arrow
Freezing Pulse
Lightning Tendrils
Magma Orb
Raise Zombie
Spark

Interestingly, two skills that require level 4 did get jewels:
Vigilant Strike
Animate Weapon
Cold Snap

And two that require level 10:
Rallying Cry
Summon Skeletons

I think it's a cool design space and hope they keep adding more.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Count Uvula posted:

You can tell them apart by the item picture actually. Tier 1 talismen has white strings, tier 2 have little black beads on their string, dunno about tier 3 yet.

T3 have red strings.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You can boot tonic316 from the guild to make room for return people. That's my banned account never coming back.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The growing decay jewel looks pretty weak at first but doing some theorycrafting I think it might actually be ridiculous for a super tanky build. Without changing my build at all (it's not even dual wield), 3 of the gem build up to dealing 700% increased attack damage :stare: I think the difficult part will be finding a middleground between good clearing speed and ridiculous boss damage though, because of course I don't want to be opening combat with like 40% increased damage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having played around with the aids build contagion/essence drain, it really does feel like old burn prolif. It feels even deadlier than burn prolif, especially on single targets. No need to worry about whiffing your ignites like with old flameblast. On the other hand, it is a bit more finnicky, the initial ED projectile is slow and flaccid, and you need to wait for the first mob to tick down before you get the prolif-like effect.

The trick will be to contagion packs, and aim your ED at the weakest mob in the pack. Hit a rare, and you need to keep shooting until you get the contagion cascade. God help you if you meet a vaal aura rare, that poo poo hard counters you.

I've decided to spec my ED for damage using Void Manipulation, Controlled Destruction, and Rapid Decay. Not sure what my 5th link will be. I don't have enough strength for Iron Will. I'm not rich enough for Empower. Perhaps Increased Duration to counteract the Rapid decay?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also, if you want to automate contagion, you might want to get a Scold's Bridle and spam essence drains, and automate Cwdt-Contagion from that. You don't really care about damage from Contagion, and instead want to spread out as much ED as possible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm going to run ED in a Sire of Shards with Controlled Destruction, Void Manipulation, Rapid Decay and Slower Projectiles. Don't give a poo poo about ED being slow when it's in a nova, gotta stack them MOREs.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just realised I've got almost 50 talismans but haven't found a stone circle yet, or at least didn't recognise it if I did. What do they look like?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

I just realised I've got almost 50 talismans but haven't found a stone circle yet, or at least didn't recognise it if I did. What do they look like?

5 stones in a circle with a circular pad in the middle you can interact with.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Theres also a pretty obvious icon on the map.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I'm wrong about Volley Fire, it's for Barrage. Additional 2 projectiles on first and last attacks in the barrage. Pretty bad rear end, and gives hope that they will someday do something for Sweep, since Barrage is a level 12 gem!

bummer cars
Apr 3, 2009
Can I get a guild invite? Character name is newspellsahoy

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pharnakes posted:

you should find them on the minimap, every 5 instances or so you should find one

one of the new talisman unique bosses creates x-bearer effects at will, super annoying to fight as melee

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BTW the character your supposed to whisper in the OP doesn't exist

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pharnakes posted:

I saw one in act 1 normal but I had no idea what to do with it. Do you just stick 5 of the corrupted talismans in there?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bardeh posted:

I saw one in act 1 normal but I had no idea what to do with it. Do you just stick 5 of the corrupted talismans in there?

quote:

As you explore Wraeclast in the Talisman leagues, you'll encounter circles of floating stones, assembled by ancient Ezomyte Druids. You can sacrifice a set of five different Talismans from the same tier to summon a monster possessed by a Talisman from the next tier up. We've added many new Unique Bosses for these encounters.

Defeating the summoned monster to claim their Talisman allows you to either improve your build with its powerful implicit properties or to save up a set of Talismans to try for the next tier. Sacrificing magic, rare or unique Talismans at a Stone Circle grants a chance to summon a monster possessed by a Talisman of similar rarity.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1478438

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Bardeh posted:

You stick 5 of the same level, and different base types. The rarity of the upgraded talisman is based on the rarity of the talismans you sacrifice. So, for example, if you sac 2 normal, a magic, and 2 rare talismans, the upgraded talisman has a 40% chance to be normal, 20% chance to be magic, and 40% to be rare.

EFB

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Thoughts on this build for a contagion/essence drain scion? Thinking of running two curse-auras but unsure if I need to stack a bit of range to make that work.

ABombpk
Jul 31, 2013
So I changed from contagion trapper to essence drain caster. I picked up EB/MoM/ZO but this lack of a regen on health (like I was getting from ED) is a pain in the rear end.

What am I missing here? How do spell casters stay alive?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Where's the website with all the talisman pictures along with their corresponding tier.?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

voltron lion force posted:

Thoughts on this build for a contagion/essence drain scion? Thinking of running two curse-auras but unsure if I need to stack a bit of range to make that work.

Offense:
The short range curse auras are counter-intuitive with CT and ED, which are both ranged. Double curse would still be good for self cast Vulnerability / Temperal Chains, since you have a curse cast speed node anyhow. Also, you're going right past Potency of Will, which would give you 45% increased skill duration, which would greatly benefit all of the skills mentioned here. I should also mention that ED is going to be miserable against anything that casts SRS unless you have some piercing. I'd also recommend taking the mana path of out the left side of your start. CT and ED both have pretty massive mana costs, even though you don't need to use them that often, having a smidge of extra mana would be useful.

Defense:
Your only defensive nodes are evasion and energy shield nodes, and you're taking acrobatics, which cuts the ES in half. You'll be mowing down mobs like nobody's business until you miss that one rhoa in the blue pack and get splattered across half of the mud flats. You could take some of the ouch out of hits by going for Mind Over Matter, which you're also going right past, as well as Soul Siphon, which is a whole lot of mana for two points. Since you wanted to run double curses on blasphemy anyhow, you could use Enfeeble and Temperal chains defensively, but that still wont help you against spells or even ranged attackers. You don't have a solid defense with this tree, period. Also, If you were planning on running with evasion only gear, it's going to be more expensive to roll blue sockets.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
40% pierce seems okay for ED now, debating on using the gem for 5L. Empower might be the best bet for damage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Started a new character in the new HC league after not having played for a year, got to act 4, and ran into an unique boss called "The Burning Man".

Time to reroll!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
how do you spell the burning man's explosion

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Started a new character in the new HC league after not having played for a year, got to act 4, and ran into an unique boss called "The Burning Man".

Time to reroll!

Right after that area was added, Nugi made a habit of trolling people he was playing with, telling them it was like dominus's rain and you had to stand in the glowing circle to avoid it. At least several people fell for it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

One exalt Blood Dances hahaha.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Time to reroll!

I suggest at least watching a youtube video explaining all the bosses because there are a couple more situations like that that's likely to kill your character.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Duck and Cover posted:

One exalt Blood Dances hahaha.

but... they got nerfed... why are they MORE expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How is the item level of a tier 2 and 3 talisman determined? Is it the lowest ilvl sacrificed? Average ilvl?

• Locked thread