Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I have completely hated SRS/Summoner both times I have tried to play it in the last two leagues. Specters are horrible to manage, especially when you get to the point where you only want one specific monster so you have to go back to the zone to resummon them if any die.

The last few builds I have played that I really enjoyed were DW Crit Ice Crash, Explosive Arrow and CoC Cyclone. All are really easy to gear, though EA really wants a Quill Rain, and have great clear speed.

I want to try a chaos DoT build this league, it sounds fun and a completely new play style from what other stuff we have in the game. Somewhat like old burning prolif I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Can't the poison effect stack, so it it kind of depends on a number of things? I got the impression it synergized really well with things like Bladefall, that do a series of high damage hits (larger values on the poison per stack and multiple stacks per cast). I think pbk also said it doesn't appear to have a stack cap, or at least it's pretty large if it does, so it might work well with things like Blade Vortex.

e: yes I realize that's what you two are arguing about but I dunno just talking here

Number of hits, damage per hit, speed of hits, none of that makes a difference for poison, it's just a % damage mod that takes 2 seconds to get full value. It's a very strong %more modifier for pure phys/chaos builds, but takes 2 seconds to get full damage from which means it doesn't help your actual clear speed a ton. Extremely good on hard rares and bosses though!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I don't believe any of the increased duration effects will work on it as it's not a skill. It's a support gem and everything says increased skill duration. Viper Strike is what you use if you want longer duration poison.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The theorycrafting on Reddit about that T4 unique amulet is pretty nuts. 100% crit, 50% crit multi amulet is a lot of dps, but where it gets really insane is the elemental conversion mods. An amulet with both 50% lightning -> fire and 50% cold -> fire, doubled and on a max fire resist build gives you essentially elemental immunity. Combine that with Lightning Coil, one of the Warband 10% phys -> fire Helms and Taste of Hate gives you incredible phys reduction also.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

The Real Foogla posted:

so uh how do I get my snow cat back in the box? it runs around the hidout, but not in levels or town

Go to edit mode in your hideout, click on the cat and hit the delete key.

Pharnakes posted:

How often do store tabs go on sale?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Daily_Deals#2015
Roughly every 2 weeks.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 17, 2015

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The odds for 6 link are 1/36 if it rerolls as a rare. This is why the Tempest league had such absurd numbers of corrupted 6-link items, and vaal orbing armorer boxes can pay off well especially on mirrored boxes.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Holidays are killing me this league. I managed to gather everything for low life Vaal Spark including a 5link Shav's a week ago and my Vaal Spark character is still level 32.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

I haven't played in months and for some reason I cannot access my main characters. If I go to the PoE website and use the "login with Steam" option, I can see the 2 characters I want to play. However, when I launch the game from within Steam those characters do not appear- I see a character from a completely different account. When logged in to the website with Steam, I see no option to display what email address is associated with the PoE account that I'm logged in to... and if I try to login to the game client with the email address associated with my Steam account, I still do not see the right characters. Any ideas? I emailed support a couple of days ago by haven't received a reply.

GGG Support is likely out because of the holidays, they normally respond very quickly. They can merge the accounts for you but it has to be done manually.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Blade Vortex is the main offender right now, CoC has always been strong but very glass cannon-ish without perfect gear. Blade Vortex + PCoC/Voll's doesn't change the survivability but amps up the damage to even more absurd levels so nothing lives long enough to kill you. Blade Vortex + PCoC also is a infinite source of power charges for any other melee build, with little upkeep required.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Washout posted:

So what's the best skill to use while leveling to 65 before your cast on crit build starts working?

You can start CoC pretty early if you want, way before 65. But any of the phys spells are really solid to level with, or just Flame Totem in a Night's Hold(super boring but strong)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Finally got my lowlife Vaal Sparker up high enough to wear most of the gear, and holy poo poo Vaal Spark gets really dumb once you have high enough crit. It also must be one of the only builds in the game that really wants a Diamond Flask.

Still need a couple more Sacrificial Harvest gems to have max souls, but even with just 1 of them + Chill of Corruption I can refill Vaal Spark reliably as long as it crits.

Though as strong as the build is, I don't really think it's worth it with how much cheaper to play CoC is.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Couldn't you potentially dos omtehing retarded like portal out, go to a low level instance somewhere and wipe it in like 2 minutes flat with whatever you build souls with, then come back.

Souls go away when you change zones, or more accurately, souls are tied to the zone you get them in. So if you don't have any poo poo left in the zone with the boss you won't ever be able to get souls to kill it. I guess you could gear swap your gloves off and fight the boss, but it would be painful and slow. Really Vaal Spark excels at destroying 95% of a map in seconds and starting another. You have to skip all but the most valuable loot and often the map boss, but nothing else even comes close to the clear speed.

Also you can't really do most indoor maps, especially not solo.

Also in my endless search for more Sacrificial Harvest jewels I managed to vaal my way into both of these yesterday. A pretty sweet phys dual wield one and a really good RF totem or something area+proj.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 30, 2015

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
After a week of Vaal Sparking, to anyone thinking of farming Dried Lake for the cards for Voll's Devotion.

Don't.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Xequecal posted:

Why does nobody use Mind over Matter? It seems that would be ridiculous with everyone focusing on stacking as much life as possible.

Like Voltron said, it's used in the EB/MoM/ZO combo so that you can reserve all of your mana with auras and still get the use of MoM. MoM by itself is not used as often because you often gain far more by using most of your mana for auras.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Okay, so just do whatever gets ME the most exp. Thanks.

Well technically no. If you're just leveling gems and don't care about your own exp you want to do whatever would be the highest raw XP per hour ignoring the level penalty. Gems gain 10% of the exp you would get before any level penalty is applied. This often means whatever gets you the most xp, but also means even if you are very high level you can annihilate a zone like Dried Lake incredibly fast and get great gem XP even though you're getting nearly zero yourself.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

theshim posted:

All I'm saying is that this loving Empower takes forever to level and I've got it at like 13% qual and in a Haku 6% weapon.

loving Empower :mad:

Yea, even at 20q + 6% Haku, leveling an Empower to 3 is 10% more xp than leveling a gem to 20 twice.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Vasudus posted:

It's time for me to think about making a Mjolnir build. I don't want to do a Volls based build, probably double Arc. Recommend me some builds or gear or whatever.

Double Arc Mjolner is painful against bosses, your dps will be completely horrible. Pretty sure even without Voll's you want to do Discharge + Arc. While looking for info for my build I found this though, which is likely what you're looking for.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1537031

Voll's doubles your damage and makes CWDT Immortal Call better, also allows the use of Kingsguard, but it isn't required to make Discharge worth using. Romira's is super cheap and is the only required part, along with Mjolner of course.

I am currently setting up a Mjolner character on Talisman, but I am doing lowlife with Voll's. Just got my 8th card today and have to pick up a few more pieces and get an alt to act4 at level 20 for the turn in, but I am super excited!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Level 20 Storm Call average damage is 487, Arc is 466.5, barely any difference.

Discharge is 308.5 per power charge, and with non-legacy Mjolner you trigger average over than 3 charges each time, often max charges as your Arc/Discharge will generate charges also.

EDIT: Arc also shocks if you have quality, which you won't be getting easily otherwise as non-crit.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 8, 2016

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Molten Strike is your best single target by far, there is nothing else even close. You can use Lightning Strike for clearing trash if you want, it works a lot better there. Remember you are always going for most hits on the monster, the attack damage does not matter at all, that's why Molten Strike is linked to GMP.

Not sure what your opposition to Discharge + Romira's for normal use is, there's a reason every Mjolner build swapped to it. Even rares will take forever if you get unlucky with Arc and all the trash dies way before the rare does.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Cyclone and Ice Crash are both great melee skills. Frost Blades is decent for leveling but not as popular end game, though not terrible by any means. Lightning Strike is playable now, as it gets more projectiles starting at level 1 and gains more as the gem levels. I would advise trying out as many different skills as you can and seeing how each one feels to you.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
To anyone playing Mjolner, or anything with similar mechanics, Deadhand Talisman is your best friend. One of the biggest issues with Mjolner on some bosses is flask charges and having to use Molten Strike, and the talisman solves both these issues. Drop one for the boss and as soon as it picks it up you have an endless stream of easy things that will let Lightning Strike proc tons of spells and keep your flasks constantly full.

If you have issues getting the boss to pick up the talisman you can drop it near it then portal out. When you portal back in stand still during the 30 second immunity and it will almost always pick it up during that time.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

xf86enodev posted:

So I'm all new to trading and for the first time I took a real look at trade chat. Ugh.
The thing I've learned though is: if I set up a shop and offer 1 white Agate amulet for 1 chance orb I get several tells every day asking me if I'm selling for any other currency because "I don't want to spend chance orbs on this"

I chuckle and snort every time. :downs:

fe: I've sold a few, too. It's a fair trade. Agates and chances both go for about 7:1c in trade chat. After the trade I wish them good luck.

This is because everyone buying Agate Amulets is buying them to use Chance Orbs on for Voll's Devotion(in a Anarchy or Onslaught map). So they would prefer to buy them with other currency so they don't have to go buy more Chance Orbs.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The twinned maps one purely depends on how willing to pay for a clear you are. Most people will have a really hard time both getting a T15 map and even harder time killing double Koam/Daresso. Killing normal Atziri is far easier than a t15 map boss for most builds. Also you put the kill specific map bosses as hard tier when you need to be able to kill them anyways for the twinned maps.

I'd say twinned is hard tier and complete encounters is medium tier. Redeem Divination Cards is a tough one, you're looking at 2-4ex each to do the 11 and 12 card ones. Most of the other ones have a "cheap" option, but still going to cost you a decent amount overall. From what I can tell, the Identify These Uniques one will cost you about 1-2ex per item if you resell the item afterwards, so similar cost to the divination cards.

Identify New Unique Items is easily the most expensive one, with several of them being rare enough you'll likely never find it yourself and costing several exalts to buy but then only worth 1c afterwards.

EDIT: Yea, vendor recipes is pretty rough. Soul Taker is 2.5ex, feast+faminebind is like .75ex, Goddess Bound is 25c, and Vinktar is roughly 2ex total though you can get most of that back if you sell the map or clear it for the challenge and sell the flask.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 15, 2016

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Xequecal posted:

Well, RIP level 84 tank char. Another new experience I had no clue about. Saw Zana for the first time, went into her mission. Got to boss area, boss put down a bunch of totems, lightning beam came out, full HP to dead in under 3 seconds, and that included me emptying my instant HP flask. No idea what encounter this actually was, it was the prison tileset and the boss looked like one of the miscreations. 6k HP, 50k armor, resistances capped, meant nothing.

Welcome to Torture Chamber.

That beam will destroy just about any character, you have to use the pillars in the room to run away and hide and then attack the boss before it does it again.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Really like both of those, a solid more generic Witch Ascendancy class and a badass support Templar one.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Any build that relies on flasks heavily should carry around some Deadhand Talismans to drop for bosses to pick up. They make a huge difference, especially for CoC builds as they are more things to crit on on top of tons of flask charges.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Most Voll's come from the Brittle Emperor card anyways, out of the 22 for sale right now on poe.trade, only one is uncorrupted.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, people love to compare curse immune on maps to something like Blood Magic on maps and say that it's fine. But there's way too many curse immune rares and the curse immune map mod is one of the most common map mods, whereas Blood Magic is incredibly rare and only the highest tiers of maps. I actually WANTED to roll Blood Magic on maps this league and barely ever saw it.

The new Curse/Chaos Occultist Ascendancy class looks awesome, and had me tempted to play a ED+Contagion build again, until I remembered curse immunity.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Infinite Monkeys posted:

For 2c you get 12-18% more iiq, not much more expensive than chisels. Could be worth it on high level maps just for the quantity, and then voll's could drop with some luck.

Oh yea, I completely agree that it's worth doing and will increase the drop rate on Voll's, though not sure it will be significant. Overall these Zana changes are awesome and introduce a chaos sink that more people are likely to use. 2-4c for mid tier maps is completely worth it, instead of only doing the expensive mods on super high tier maps.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I feel like Deadly Infusion can't go live as is, combined with Ambush it gives way more raw power for crit builds than any other Ascendancy. If they nerf crit which I am hearing some rumors about, all that does is make Assassin even more required for crit builds. Assuming a VERY conservative 5 power charges it gives:

+2.5% Base Critical Strike Chance (25-50% MORE critical strikes)
+90% Critical Strike Multiplier (3 notables worth of points)
+45% Critical Strike Chance (3ish passive points)
+75% Critical Strike Multipler and 100% MORE Critical Strike chance on full HP enemies (hard to quantify but extremely strong for clear speed as you will always crit first attack)

For most builds this means you can either wear a Marylene's Fallacy for some insane levels of crit damage and rely on the oneshot crits with Ambush, or drop pretty much all of your crit chance on gear and get some easy crit multi and way more defensive gear pieces. On top of that you could easily play a caster with a Void Battery or two, that new shield, more power charges from the tree and get up to 9 or 10 power charges. You could run crit Incinerate with all that bonus base crit if you wanted.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
One theory I read was that Blade Vortex is going to hit half as often now, which makes a ton of sense. Causes less lag, does the same damage(slightly more cause of how armor works), and cuts the PCoC power of it in half.

EDIT: Critical Strikes gem buff! http://imgur.com/aav51YI lovely screenshot but you can see it has +1% crit chance at level 1 which I assume means base crit.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 25, 2016

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I won't be able to wrap my head around min/maxing scion builds for a very long time.

On another note, when another class chooses a ascendancy tree, like assassin, can they ever respec to be a trickster or are they stuck? I don't imagine you'd ever want to respec that much but just curious.

I believe it was confirmed you can switch though we have no idea how or the cost.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I am considering Scion for Explosive Arrow, none of the other Ascendancy classes really stood out to me for that besides Deadeye, and the standard EA build doesn't go to the Ranger area so you'd have wasted points.

As Scion you can pick up Raider + Berserker which, assuming Raider isn't nerfed, gives you:

Easy Frenzy charges without the now (somewhat)expensive Blood Dance.
Permanent Phasing + Onslaught
25% Ele Status effect avoidance
1.5% leech which lets you drop the leech gem, and there's lots of super good new gems to link to EA
10% more damage
+2 passive points
+40 dex and str, of which the dex is really nice because EA has dex issues.

Deadeye is likely more damage though you'd need 10+ points spent to get back to the right area of the tree, or to use a completely different tree focusing more on projectile damage. That or a crit EA build with Assassin could work, though you're super far from Blood Magic at that point, and sustaining EA on mana is rough. Using EB might work, and would let you pick up some auras also, might be worth trying.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 25, 2016

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I like Deadeye for life CA. Even if the 30% more damage at long range doesn't do much, +1 arrow and 20% AE radius will be a decent clearspeed bonus with all the extra coverage. And then you either get some more proj damage and attack speed or close range pierce for even more coverage.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Temp Chains will increase the duration of chaos dots also, not a direct damage increase but can be of some use on bosses.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

lurksion posted:

After treeing this out, strength for Mjolnir is going to be a serious problem. Going to need like 3 or 4 things with strength on gear. Back the board (or self-cast it is).

Needing str on gear for Mjolner is just the way it goes. You can see the Mjolner character I played on Talisman here, the level 90 Scion Cinara_

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Cinara/characters

Because of the corrupted Voll's I had to have str on my ring, boots, shield, and helm. On top of wearing Doryani's belt and that still left me 1 short cause of crappy rolls on a few things so I used a gem with str also. To shield swap(for minus max + ele reflect maps) I had to change out a jewel for another str jewel also.

Overall I really enjoyed the character, though without Deadhand Talisman it wouldn't be as much fun and makes bosses a lot more stressful.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea it's really hard to transition into Mjolner from a real build, you have to spend so many points on str that you can't really afford any damage nodes until super late. Wearing Meginord's Vise or Astramentis goes a long ways towards fixing that, but those are two of the most important slots for damage items.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Is TShot still viable for single-target? That would simplify my really stupid build idea quite a bit.

Yes, Tornado Shot is still really good for everything. What's your build though? I am curious what bow build can't fit in another skill.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Actually, I've think I've convinced myself to use Barrage for single target, TShot for mobs.

Here's my dumb idea:
Tree
Items: Tora bow, 3 Pacifism jewels, Snakebite gloves
Active skills: Barrage, TShot, Temp Chains, Grace, Stone Golem (although Chaos is tempting), Blink Arrow

End result: Permanent Onslaught and Phasing, always cause Bleeding and Poison on hit. Very much a hit-and-run character.

So a few notes. Tora bow isn't worth it, her mod is a prefix so you can't have all 3 important damage mod s(%phys, %phys/acc, +flat phys), and rolling even a decent bow off that would be incredibly hard.

Secondly you can't pick two things from the same base class as Scion, so no having both Raider and Deadeye. You get 6 points to spend, and for the Scion you pick the class specific node and then the ascendancy node doesn't actually cost a point. So you either get an ascendancy from two different classes or the ability to start at a different starting location and a +40 stat node from a different line.

The reason poison is ever any good for bow builds is because of how some modifiers double dip on it. So generic projectile nodes are the best, chaos nodes are only good when using Voltaxic. You especially don't want to scale just chaos if you plan on using Bleeding also, work on scaling your base damage. Bleeding is a tough one cause the damage is pretty bad unless the target is moving, and harder to scale than poison damage.

You have some really weird choices like pathing all the way to Shadow and not Blood Siphon which is a 10% hp node. You are really low on life in general, 114% at level 80 is lower than I'd advise most of the time.

I would really advise any bow build to be crit based also unless you have a very very good reason not to be. Bows have very good base crit, amazing crit nodes, and poison/bleed both even scale off the base hit so crit works great if you really want to use those.

Your build is a bit all over the place, I would really advise looking at some of the forum builds for different bow builds and seeing which nodes they take. The core ideas behind any bow build are going to be similar, you're mostly going to alter which skills/gear you use and your ascendancy class.

If you really want a bleeding and poison based build, I think your best bet is the Duelist Gladiator subclass, weird as that sounds. The pathing nodes are worthless to you, but you could get 25% chance to bleed on attacks, enemies explode as phys, chance to maim(30% slow), 25% chance to gain frenzy charge on kill(bows are a main hand weapon) and 60% increased damage. It may not be the strongest build but is interesting! That or take Scion still and doing either Raider or Deadeye + Gladiator, that way you get some better bow stuff and still 15% chance to bleed on hit.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Keep in mind that the deadeye scion ascendancy is less than useless for EA.

So loving dumb that chain and pierce don't work right with that skill.

Seriously, that additional arrow would be great, but the pierce chance is horrible. I think you want some combo of Berserker, Elementalist and Raider if you're going as Scion.

I did see some really interesting talk about going Champion as a Duelist though. EA already has incredibly strong damage and Champion gives you permanent 20% stronger Fortify, 10% attack speed and 8% move speed. Then you can pick from 35% damage + 10% move speed for you and allies or 40% damage when not low life and +200% armor/evasion + status clear when you are low life. I think I'd prefer the move speed but both are strong picks. Overall the defensive powers of Champion should make you feel near invulnerable when combined with the crazy high HP EA builds have and the block from Rearguard.

whypick1 posted:

Wait, Chain doesn't work with EA?

Wouldn't the extra projectile from Deadeye at least help you stack charges faster?

EA only puts the charge where the projectile ends, so pierce and chain make it not put charges on whatever you hit directly. If you go real Deadeye as Ranger you can avoid picking any chain/pierce and still get the extra projectile along with other great bonuses. But most EA builds don't go anywhere near the ranger area of the tree so you'd either have to run 100% off mana or spend a ton of points pathing through wasted nodes. EA has a very very high base mana cost and you often run Quill Rain so most people take Blood Magic to make it sustainable.

Phobophilia posted:

I've heard somewhere, could someone please confirm, is base critical strike multiplier being dropped from 150% to 100%?

All crit multi is being buffed by 50% so it ends up exactly the same. The change is to make it more logical, crit multi will just add on, instead of being multiplied by 1.5

Cinara fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 1, 2016

• Locked thread