Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
Nice OP, this game is fun and cool and it's a great time for new and old players to start up. I haven't seen any other ARPG updated so frequently, consistently and substantially and each league reset has given me a great excuse to come back and try out a new skill, build and character.

Didn't play Darkshrine much (which by the lootsplosions looks like it was a bad choice) but I'm looking forward to the new Talisman/Ascendancy updates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Vasudus posted:

Fakener.

Nice dagger! Did you find a fakener build pretty easy to level? I got bored of my Talisman ice crash guy so I'm trying Mathil's fakener build, but i'm not sure if it's viable before a big investment - I've only got a 4L Voll's Protector and basic butcher knife Vagan dagger.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
A few premium tabs will make selling stuff way smoother, which means you'll have more currency to buy cool items with. Stay away from buying skill effects IMO since your favorite skill this patch might be nerfed in the next patch/season.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
Whoa, you can now buy a Currency Stash Tab which stacks your items up to 5000.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1629196

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
If you're looking for an ARPG fix, D3 will make you feel powerful right away and the combat is quicker - but there are ultimately fewer build options and much less to pay attention to.

PoE takes about an hour or two for your character/combat to feel good, but you'll keep getting faster & stronger as you reach endgame. There are many more character builds, and there's more to pay attention to - looting, gearing and trading are more complex.

Play PoE since it's completely free, all future content is free, the developers are the most active of any ARPG ever and there's no pay-to-win elements. If you don't like it you didn't lose out on anything!

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Ciaphas posted:

So what exactly do I do re: builds and skill gems while leveling, I'm just kind of using whatever skills I find and am mucking along okay but it doesn't feel very... coherent? I guess that's the word

Generally you want to focus on 1-2 skills and look for gear with linked sockets that'll let you attach support gems to that skill. Make sure to check the vendors in town since they sell skill/support gems after certain quests in each act.

For spellcasters you can level with Firestorm very easily regardless of your final build and you get it in Act 1. In Act 2 you have access to more support gems and Herald of X skills. Act 3 gets you more auras and high-end attack skills, and Act 4 has niche skill/support gems.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
I've never been so impressed with a gaming company as I have been with GGG. Ever since the beta they've figured out clever ways to solve balance problems and put out new content like clockwork without compromising their overall vision.

It must have been hard for them to bite their tounges after Reddit freaked out about the XBox announcement, knowing what they had coming in the future. Really hope this helps PoE blow up in popularity, personally my favourite part of the trailer was BONE WHEELS and that caged skeleton mass pulled from Bloodborne

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
The Atlas of Worlds community highlights video shows high level gameplay and bosses which should push new players past the slow early levels:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lvTfor3qg

should get the point across in the first few minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
I think the new enemies are cool and would like to slay lots of them, honestly besides the armbands they remind me more of italian fascists - those masks and outfits are some Il Duce poo poo.

That priestess lady is stylish and might make a good spectre, plus the last judge type enemy looks like some WH40K style. Good to mix it up!

• Locked thread