Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kild posted:

It's 270 PDPS with quality and you can easily hit 600%+ on a tree with it.

According to my maths is 250pdps with quality. Whetstone quality is additive, not multiplicative, with local increased %physical damage.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I do think such a build is intriguing. How you you build your tree around it?

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Skip to 2:24 in the video to see what Hegemony was loving around with.. marauder and stack all the double dips. Can get some pretty high bonuses and keep tanky marauder trees if you want.

http://www.twitch.tv/hegemonytv/v/49183939

Next up, Hegemony starts talking about ideas for classes in ascendancy. Lots of filler, not extremely informative as you have to understand certain typical builds but at least you get perspective of high level content per the classes.
Hegemony Talks Ascendancy Classes and Potential builds
Hegemony Talks Ascendancy Classes and Potential builds pt2

I watched a bit of it, I threw together something like this.

God, I want to get everything on such a build.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Depending on if you can port in and out, it may be worth carrying around a good item that you intend to sell, enchant it, and see if it gets something incredibly cool so you can get a bonus 10ex on it.

And wow, holy poo poo, add a shitload of elemental damage on effectively all your attacks on those Titan greaves.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The real question is, what is the twitch timestamp which contains the Ascendancy trials?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What's the status of that Witch offering self node? Because because that's also brokenly powerful.

Looking at that thing, it would go well with a blade vortex selfcast. I might do that this league.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Theorycrafting a blade vortex witch that exploits the bone offering self block and the increased duration in Necromancer's Mistress of Sacrifice. I haven't made a crit caster for a long time, and I haven't ever played with modern EB/MoM. So how does this tree look?

Here are the equipment slots:
Cybil's
Rathpith (not mandatory)
Crit ammy
Voidbringer (could be swapped for facebreaker's or mali's, but this has ES)
Rainbowstrides (not mandatory)
Phys Doryani's Invitation (can be swapped for LL gem on my primary skill)

Here are gem links:
Chest:
Blade Vortex-Faster Casting-Echo-CDestruction / Hatred

Whirling Blades-Fortify-Faster Attacks
Faster Casting-Flame Dash-Desecrate

Increased Duration-Faster Casting-Blood Rage-Tempest Shield
Increased Duration-Faster Casting-Vaal Haste-Bone Offering
Herald of Ice-Herald of Thunder-Curse on Hit-Warlord's Mark

Plan is to pop a desecrate and bone offering when I meet a pack that can potentially hurt me, then maintain BV stacks and whirl through mobs until everyone's dead. Blocks and BV hits give me life on hit, while leech and kills recover into my ES pool, I have max block with a rathpith + rumi's. That frees me to focus on damage on the rest of my gear and passives.

How does this sound?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xequecal posted:

One thing I noticed is that the Scion/Occultist Ascendancy lets you do a MoM+EB build without touching the left side of the tree at all. You use Cloak of Defiance to get MoM, and then use the Scion/Occultist Ascendancy in place of Zealot's Oath to regenerate your ES enough to cast spells with it. That lets you reserve all your mana for auras and still have the massive EH bonus that MoM gives you. So, I'm probably going to be doing something like this with the Occultist and Gladiator ascendancies, using Sunder supported by Poison. The Gladiator ascendancy provides spell block and lets you apply bleed, which overlaps with poison for tons of DoT damage. I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to implement a melee-flagged ranged attack, letting people play ranged characters that still get the benefit of Melee Physical Damage modifiers and the Fortify gem, but there it is.

I'm not sure Ascendant-Occultist will have enough natural ES regeneration in order to spam spells, it might at most slow the rate of ES decrease as you cast. You're gonna need ZO in order to counteract that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just to clarify something, is it possible to get multiple ascendancy classes from the same base class? So as a Witch, can I say put 2 points into Necromancer, then 4 points into Occultist, or any combination thereof?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Well that's a bad assumption on my part, ugh, I wanted to make a max block blade vortex with cybil's. I wanted a tanky character.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mechanics question on Blade Vortex: When you have multiple copies of this gem with different link setups, will they each have different properties? Can you have say 49 BV stacks with damage mods, and 1 BV stack that is linked to power charge on critical strike?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, going Mistress of Sacrifice is probably better for SRS witches, where you use flesh offering as perma 100% uptime vaal haste, or bone offering for chaos sparkers or essence drainers. But I've already played SRS and essence drain, and I've already used voltaxic (and it's gonna be expensive as hell this league). I'm going to try to make bone offering max block crit blade vortex work.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ultima66 posted:

30%+ crit multi (45% post 2.2 because of the numbers being different)

I've heard somewhere, could someone please confirm, is base critical strike multiplier being dropped from 150% to 100%?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dis astranagant posted:

No, but crit mult items add to it directly instead of multiplying the base critmult.

I see, all numbers are now times 1.5. So it is effectively no change, it's just being made more intuitive.

But does that make all 1.1 - 2.1 crit multi legacy gear worthless, or are they going to go through the database and times everything by 1.5?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They're against fully automated trading, but they might implement asynchronous trading where both parties need negotiate (even if it's something simple) and get eyes on each other's prize.

They could even make asynchronous trading a pain in the rear end, where either party can alter the deal at any time, and the other party would need to reconfirm the trade.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, I just realised something from Witch's Elemental Conflux notable. It causes Chill, Shock and Ignite. Chill, not freeze. Which won't shatter enemies.

Holy poo poo, I think this could make burn proliferate come back.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
we are worse than reddit

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
no, these days chris wilson will personally delete you when you die in game

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Scold Bridle, Headhunters and Harvests are essentially legacy, and Rigwald's Curse will be effectively legacy once this league ends. But all these items are used in extremely niche builds, and are not essential for having fun.

Make up your mind on what to whine about: are you going to complain about the existence of temporary leagues, ~ephemeral in time and space~, or are you going to complain about the existence of leagues where people have years worth of power backed up behind them? You can not whine about both in the same sentence.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Because I'm both a giant hipster and a giant min maxer, I'm going max block mistress of sacrifice blade vortex.

If this works as well as I hope, I'm going to be invincible.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I remember Rory talking about old Earthquake, where you could override old fissures by slamming down new hits.

I wish that was still available, because that way you could play crit earthquake and override old fissures that failed to quit.

Or maybe you still could, if you go Assassin and cap your crit. Maybe go southpaw as well, 1 handed crit sceptre, and a 80% crit chance dagger in offhand.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I chose blade vortex because it's a duration skill, and the Necro tree has a pile of duration in it. Because it is a duration skill, I don't need to spend every second casting in combat, and that frees me up to spend some actions on utility skills. I like builds where there are a ton of little synergies that all fit together neatly.

I'm undecided on if I'll be going dual wield cybils or go with a rathpith's. I'm also undecided if I'll invest in any block nodes, or just use a Rumi's and focus my tree on pure damage.

Also, blade vortex is effectively melee, so it the tankiness should keep me alive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Safari Disco Lion posted:

This is what I came up with in a few minutes, haven't really combed over it yet. I got Alchemist because I'm a sucker for flask nodes early on while levelling and Mind Barrier as the only shield node, particularly because the ES bonus is nice and this is set up as hybrid life/ES. Tempted by Deflection though for the block recovery.

I'm going pure life, no interest in ES because Cybil's and Bone Offering both recover into the life pool.

I'm using this (copy and paste into the 2.2 offline tree planner):
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...ZNh4iaVFr91_YRv

Since I'm getting pseudo max block, I felt like going full crit.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
wrap it up folks, the most powerful ever build possible has been created

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

10bux posted:

I just got done reading the Ascendancy Patch Notes and I just want to double check something with you all, sorry if this has been brought up.

The idea is an Inquisitor Templar:

Ascendancy Passives, Inquisitor:
100% increased Critical Strike Chance against Enemies that are affected by no Elemental Status Ailments [+45% to Critical Strike Multiplier against Enemies that are affected by Elemental Status Ailments]
Critical Strikes ignore Enemy Elemental Resistances [Non-Critical Strikes penetrates 10% of Enemy Elemental Resistances]

Passives Skill Tree:, Elemental Overload
40% more Elemental Damage if you've Crit in the past 8 seconds. No Critical Strike Multiplier.

Support Gems, Elemental Focus:
Supported skills deal more elemental damage, but can't cause elemental status ailments.

Weapon, Kongor's Undying Rage:
Adds (27–270 to 56–400) Physical Damage
(30 to 40)% increased Critical Strike Chance
+(15 to 20)% to all Elemental Resistances
Hits can't be Evaded
Your Critical Strikes do not deal increased Damage
You gain Onslaught for 2 seconds on Critical Strike

So the idea is use a Phys to Elemental conversion Skill, say Infernal Blow. Then use something to convert the rest of the physical, like physical to lightning, or you could even grab Avatar of Fire I guess. Basically, crank your elemental damage as high as possible. You will end up with, 100% critical strike chance which means every hit ignores Elemental Resistances, 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage from Elemental Focus, and 100% chance to hit. Essentially replacing crit chance and crit damage for a poo poo ton of more damage and ignoring all resistances.

Kongor's mace is just what made me think of the idea. Really, you could use Spell, which would probably be even better. In fact, with any elemental spell combined with: Inquisitor, Elemental Overload, Elemental Focus, and Controlled Destruction, you'd be gaining 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage, 40% more spell damage (lvl 20), and completely ignore mob resists. Of course it comes with a price, no damage bonus from critical strike multipliers and you cannot apply any status ailments, but you'd always be attacking a 0% resist mob and have a poo poo load more damage.

I guess another really big factor is if elemental penetration from curses and gems would be applied to a 0% resist mob, thus taking it into the negatives. I know that for a fact that monsters can go into the negatives by having more penetration that the mobs resistance, but I'm not sure how "Ignore Enemy Elemental Resistance," in this case.

I haven't played in a long time and I know that game has changed. Status ailments and Crit is hot right now, but the days of Resolute Technique, Static Blows, and never stacking crit/crit multi are still fresh in my mind!

tl;dr: If you combined Inquisitor (Templar Ascendancy Passives), Elemental Overload (new Keystone Passive), and Elemental Focus (new supp gem), you'd be gaining 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage, and completely ignore mob resists at the cost of no longer applying status ailments and receiving no bonus from critical strike damage.

I don't think this is a good idea, for a number of reasons. There is a bad antisynergy between high crit chance and elemental overload: once you approach high crit chance numbers, even at base 150% crit multiplier, elemental overload will cause you to deal less damage. And don't forget, crit chance nodes are also crit multi nodes, pushing it further against crit. For that level of investment, you may as well go crit.

I say pick one of the two: either go all in for crit inquisitor with non-Kongor's, or skip taking any crit, go for an RT-style build + Kongor's + elemental overload on any other ascendancy.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 3, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think elemental focus would be best for fast casting fire builds, as the more multiplier would be superior to a few piddly little ignites. Shock and freeze, on the other hand, are straight up better.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

10bux posted:

Sorry, I shouldn't have even mentioned Kongor's, it's just what I was first looking at when I thought of the Synergy. Obviously a spell that is already 100% elemental, and cannot miss, is going to be better than something you'll have to convert.

Once you approach high crit numbers?

The whole point of the synergy is that you don't need any critical strike, or any critical strike multipliers. Sure, critical strike and critical multi nodes have been combined, and then nerfed at the same time. If your casting spells, your stuck by shadow and witch. Unless, your playing a build that scales its crit from 8-10%, the investment is pretty substantial and your limited to having to head towards the direction of certain clusters. Without needing any crit or status ailments, you'll be a lot more free to pick up defense, auras, utility, whatever. The other benefit, is that crit multi is a lot more dangerous since crit is rolled per attack, not per monster. That, combined with a Life Leech Rate based on your HP or ES, it's much safer to attack with continuous damage then big bursts.

But, I really wasn't thinking about not having to get crit nodes, I was thinking about ignoring enemy elemental resists.

Elemental resist is factored in after all the damage has already been calculated. If we attacked the same enemy, but my attack ignored elemental resists and yours didn't, you would have to do 4 times the amount of damage as me to equal the same amount.

By the way Monsters can go well above 75% resistance. Your damage of course cannot be reduced by any more of that amount, I'm just saying that's why completely ignoring it is so good. It could potentially be 150% elemental penetration.

For one Keystone, 2 supports and the 6 Ascendancy passives, you could essentially get 85% More + XX% More (they haven't said how much more damage the new on is yet) and 75% elemental penetration.

If you can use elemental penetration gems that are applied against an enemies ignored resists it would be even better.

You only get that huge elemental penetration as Inquisitor if you crit. If you have ~20% crit chance, that is only a fraction of your attacks. If you invest passives in crit chance, it would get much higher, but then your crit multi nodes would be wasted.

Basically, you have the options of:

1) Going Inquisitor, investing alot of passives into crit chance and multiplier, and ignoring elemental overload and Kongors (maybe go crit staff or sceptre or sword)

or

2) Choosing a different melee class, invest a tiny amount into crit chance (Disemboweling and Galvanic Hammer notables gets you up to ~21% crit chance on Kongor's), get Kongors and a single elemental attack and elemental overload and focus, and rely on the occasional "crit" to refresh your onslaught and elemental overload. I'd use something like Static Strike, link multistrike, melee physical, physical to lightning, weapon elemental damage, and lightning penetration. If you can get a Vinktar's and a 6 link, then add elemental focus.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know what's a good synergy with Earthquake? Assassin's Ambush. As long as you have 50% chance to crit, and the next pack is clean, you have a guaranteed crit. Which means you can stack a ridiculous amount of crit multi. Unfortunately, you do not want any damage to occur until your main hit, which means you do not want any heralds, which means there is no easy way to get power charges (I don't think Unstable Infusion will be reliable enough). Therefore, I was thinking to go Blasphemy-Assassin's Mark. The extra crit multi can't hurt.

I think you can mainhand a Doryani's Catalyst, with the option of either a 80% crit chance dagger with a crit multi roll, or an armour shield on offhand. Wear an Abyssus for the crazy crit multi, but if you do, you're probably wanting a lightning coil to Not Die. Rings can be pure resist, boots need life/MS/resists, gloves can be life/resists or a facebreakers for more dps.

Here is the tree. Since we're going from Shadow to Templar, you go past a ton of AoE nodes, which also works nicely with earthquake. We grab Sovereignty for the mana reservation, at level 80, you get a minimum of 683 mana, and with hatred + arctic armour + blasphemy, you have 27mp remaining, more than enough to use the incredibly mana frugal earthquake.

Links:
Chest:
Earthquake-Less Duration-Melee Physical-Fortify-Added fire/Physical to Lightning/WED/IAoE/Conc

3Ls:
Leap Slam/Whirling Blades-FA-Fortify
Decoy Totem-IDur-ECry

4Ls:
Heavy Strike-MPD-Increased Crit strikes-Stun
Hatred-AA-Blasphemy-AssMark
CwDT-ICall-IDur-MShell

This build could be silly good for map clearing, though it may be just a little too much overkill.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm really glad I uninstalled from Steam last night and reinstalled with the regular client.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

euphronius posted:

What is that arcane file extension thing I need to do to make loot filters work in Windows 10. I can't remember.

Paste into notepad, in the "Save as" box, change the "Save as type" to "All files", and have ".filter" as the file type.

amazeballs posted:

When are you guys doing Labyrinth? I'm in A4 cruel and haven't attempted it yet. Some people are telling me its best to wait and do it in Cruel but I dunno if that is trustworthy advice.

I did labyrinth on my first try in a4n, just before Malachai, but I picked a build that works well in Labyrinth (spark/orb of storms), and I took the traps slowly and carefully.

The good news is my build needs only the first two ascendancy points to function, so I think I'm going to spend today progressing and maybe do labyrinth once I'm fully in Merciless.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Corpse level is only useful for Spectres and Detonate Dead.

So yeah, Cwdt-Desecrate is an option. The downside is that it's not very consistent (you need to get hit first), you can't pre-prepare corpses for use, and you can't spam out a shitload of corpses using echo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Spark is kind of weird, it's either good, or too weak. Spark damage scales off both projectile speed and number. This is because each "wave" of sparks can hit a mob multiple times if one of the projectiles strikes a wall, and the frequency of such events occurring goes up as you increase projectile speed and numbers. In 2.1, poison voltaxic sparker was very strong, primarily because poison was stronger than ever, and because of the Rigwald Quiver giving a free fork.

Spark is currently popularised by streamers, but I think it's in a good spot right now for noncrit selfcast, because of ele overload making such builds viable. The skill is so idiosyncratic in comparison to more consistent skills like Arc, Storm Call and Ball Lightning, that it is fine to leave it at a relatively strong state.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've already broken the league for myself by playing an absurdly viable character. I got a Blade Vortex witch to the end of normal and picked up the Mistress of Sacrifice ascendancy node, and now I'm completely indestructible. A high-level CWDT link carries Desecrate, Bone Offering and Chaos Golem. A low-level CWDT link carries Tempest Shield with Curse on Hit + Enfeeble. I'm using Cybil's Paw and running the combo of Eldritch Battery + Zealot's Oath + Mind Over Matter, with 95% of my mana reserved to run Discipline, Vitality and Arctic Armor.

Altogether, this means I constantly have near maximum block and spell block, regain life rapidly whenever I'm being attacked or standing near something, curse anything that tries to hit me with Enfeeble, and 30% of the damage taken from hits goes to my rapidly regenerating ES pool instead of my life. I'm expecting either Bone Offering or the Mistress of Sacrifice node to see some serious nerfs at the end of this league.

Yo, link your character and gear. I want to compare with mine, I've been self-casting desecrate and bone offering, and investing my tree into crit.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pretty much all the builds I play fall into the low-to-mid budget category (the only exception was voltaxic last league, mainly because i successfully pre-empted the rise in voltaxic price when it got popularised by Mathil). My 6-link? It was bought corrupted from a strongbox for 20 chaos. Easier gearing? That's good for me, i like building a diverse range of playstyles.

Talisman and Perandus are going to great for me, because there are an unprecedented number of build varieties, easier gearing helps me hit the breakpoints in those builds faster. I'm playing BV Necro, the only things I'm after are a Carcass Jack and either a Voidbringer or a Mali's. After that, I'm going to start assembling gear for a crit earthquake assassin, only things I need are a Coil and an Abyssus. In fact, I'm going to buy a pile of Abyssuses and start rolling Labyrinth enchants on them. If that goes through, I'll see what other cool builds are going to be available.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hooplah posted:

You realize you can overwrite enchants with new ones, right?

I'll override the spell ones, but I'll keep any which roll well with crit attack skills.

The dream is reduced earthquake duration.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've always wanted an essence drainer that would auto cast contagion, that could be done via scold's

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Can a mob get burned by more than one righteous fire at a time?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Burno posted:

question for you, what level are your links for Bone Offering? Mine are 15 now with CWDT requiring like 1800 damage, and I am thinking I may have gone too far... (but that block chance)

This build is crazy fun

I've set mine to CwDT-Bone Offering-Increased Duration, I say go for max level, screw how much damage it takes to trigger. It forms a feedback loop: if you're taking damage, then your defences will automatically go up. I have a level 1 CwDT-Desecrate-Tempest Shield on a separate link, to drop a steady supply of corpses to explode, and to make sure that +3% block is always available.

I've found that linking CwDT-Desecrate-Bone Offering isn't reliable, and won't reliably drop desecrate corpses before the offering goes off. But that could come down to the link order, so maybe I need something that goes Red --> Green --> Blue in clockwise order. Has anyone found that to work properly?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ENRQh2xvc&t=70s

maaaathiiil post with us dude

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just a warning to people who plan on autocasting their bone offerings: putting them into a +2 minion gems helmet will push them above the threshold for CwDT setups. Don't waste a shitload of currency planning around this like I just did. Plan around the thing giving +35% block.

Ugh, I could self-cast with faster casting and increased duration, but that's an ungodly pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tykero posted:

Today's patch is adding a buff indicator to Flesh/Bone Offering if it's affecting you, which will make selfcasting it more convenient.

Oh, that would be very convenient.

And clearly GGG thinks that bone offering is balanced! In comparison with some of the crazy amounts of DPS other ascendancies can put out, it arguable could still be balanced.

• Locked thread