Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
This is always the most fun part of the game for me: new season with a new skill tree. It's so fun to fiddle around a planner to get your build just right, and then work on finding every single point efficiency you can.

But seriously GGG, who thought "we put 1 more 5% maximum life for Shadow...on a max ES & Evasion node that takes 2 points to get to. SHIP IT" was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I'm doing something with chaos damage this league. It's going to either be a pure chaos caster, a physical spell + poison caster, or voltaxic rift lightning arrow. Except the righthand side of the tree is now strange and weird and I can't seem to make it work how I want to.

There's also a chaos/dot wheel up in Witch right next to the curse wheel, which is handy if you want to Dual Curse Blasphemy. Chaos DoTs while running Temp Chains + Vuln as auras.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Blade Vortex is a spell, so no, it never hits.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, I was thinking of Life Gain on Hit as well for the purposes of what it likes for Hits, oh well.

Edit:

ronya posted:

I didn't realize you could now aurify Warlord's Mark for the elemental leech. Hmm. On the other hand, there's ele leech from tree now, so maybe it just doesn't matter so much.

It probably depends on what you're doing. If you're trying to Double Aura Curse on the tree, it's unhelpfully in the opposite direction from the new Ele Leech nodes, so you might just put in Warlord's Mark in there to make up that Leech plus gain Endurance Charge generation and stuns. Or if it tailors more, go Poacher's/Assassin's for the Life on Kill/Hit & other charge generation as well as a secondary aura curse.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 8, 2015

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It has a relatively short cast time and a relatively long duration that can be increased, so you can self-cast build it. The advantages being you can have your stacks of Blade Vortex up before you wade into the mobs/boss, and then lawnmower through them. But yes, CoC Cylcone's what a lot of people considered considering what it does.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
You can end up with a 190% life starting Ranger if you take literally every right side Shadow & Ranger % life node (excluding Melding which is the ES/life hybrid wheel), and then pathing into Duelist to pickup Golem's Blood and Bravery.

Shadow's at a slight disadvantage compared to Ranger as they don't immediately have 17% max life within the first 5 points.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 8, 2015

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Mystery Prize posted:

What level character did you end up with? I just threw together a cyclone Marauder that ends up at 186% life at level 73. No Scion life wheel, and I took basically every good damage node a cycloner would take.

At level 80 and most of the Scion life wheel he's at 230%.

111 points, so 90. But I'm going Crit Dagger Reave and all of the Dagger and Crit nodes on the right are conveniently located near all of the life nodes.

I tried a Scion version, but it ends up with less damage and I'm comfortable enough in the 190-200% range.

Edit: I can't count quest passives very well.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 8, 2015

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Can Melee Splash support Molten Strike? The actual attack is single target stop I could see it maybe working, but it also has an aoe effect so it probably doesn't.

Yes, it works. Molten Strike has an initial single target component and a separate projectile aoe component, so the first bit gets affected by melee splash.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Reave isn't exactly the most melee of skills.

If you can keep Vaal Reave stacks up, you screen clear.

Edit: Incidentally, that's almost a carbon-copy of what my plan is, except I'm taking Force Shaper up in Shadow for that added chaos.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 8, 2015

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

quote:

Fine, we'll post them [Talisman Patch Notes] within an hour.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Edit: poo poo, they're already out.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 9, 2015

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

quote:

Incinerate is no longer affected by Spell Echo, as was intended in 2.0.0. Incinerate now only adds 50% more damage for each stage, down from 100% more damage. Incinerate's damage has been increased by 15% at level 1 and reduced by approximately 8% at level 20.

Jesus, stop GGG. It's already dead.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Magma Orb got a few interesting buffs:

quote:

Various skills have had their damage effectiveness values increased...Magma Orb (from 80% to 125%)

quote:

The following spells have had their damage increased by around 20% higher at level 20...Magma Orb

quote:

Magma Orb, in addition to its damage buff, gains an additional chain at level 10, and another at level 21.

125% damage effectiveness intrigues me.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Keep in mind, Spectral Throw and all of the other starting skills are getting Threshold Jewels this patch to augment whatever buffs they're getting.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Specifically: it now has built-in GMP at level 1, increasing in # of projectiles as it levels up.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
There sure are an infuriating number of Jewel slots efficiently (ie- no wasted, hanging +10s) next to 40, but not 50, primary stats for the purpose of Threshold.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Reroll. Either you die early enough where rerolling costs little time at all, or you've assembled enough leveling uniques/currency to make subsequent characters much easier to progress.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Hey, sometimes you just have to fight Cruel Daresso having just transitioned over into your ES/life hybrid build, get him down to ~10% hp, not dodge his attacks and not TP out when your flasks are all empty thinking you can kill him before anything bad happens.

Bad things happened.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

TheRat posted:

This is basically the first lesson of HC. Dont think. Know. And never fight anything remotely dangerous without flask charges.

Yes, I was being exceptionally stupid that day.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It's going to be slightly amusing in this league where you might want to pickup a Talisman quickly in the middle of a pack so annoying mobs stop picking it back up and make your life a living hell.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The only things that really get you better at pricing items is to both play a lot to get a feel for items that are generally in demand, and to get used to searching poe trade (or hanging out in the trade channels) to get an idea of what similar items are being priced at at any given point in time.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

funmanguy posted:

New melee splash gem has More Splash Radius. That's a thing.

I'm so happy.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Heh, Bonespire Talisman mob already got hit with a significant nerf.

Which is great, because seeing my health nosedive on Normal brought back memories of old Corrupting Blood.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It's effectively another more multiplier to your damage, except it keeps scaling as you scale your primary damage while also getting free 120% bonus to its poison damage just from leveling the gem itself.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Mince Pieface posted:

Has anyone been trying a crit facebreaker build using Rigwald's Curse yet? I was thinking of buying one and trying it once I get a bit more currency, the damage is probably crazy-go-nuts though losing a slot for resistances on your amulet is hard.

Not exactly what you asked for, but Angry's been running crit facebreaker Infernal Blow melee splash with Abyssus that's super tanky and mildly hilarious. He walks up to a mob, punches it, and half the screen explodes in gore. I believe he said he's not that interested in Rigwald's Curse for the purposes of his build, though.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
If you wanted a Bino's, better get it soon. Nugi finally switched over to his Poison Prolif build, and it's as hilarious as expected.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Picer posted:

gently caress nugi

Incidentally, now that Nugi's pizza blaster died, Binos are back down to 1.8-2 ex.

But that is still one drat fine dagger.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Man, Blade Vortex with Cybil's Paw feels amazing.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, Elemental Weakness map mod is a reason to overcap, so you can run maps with the mod considering it gives a great +14% pack size.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Stormcloud Arctic Armour, hell yea.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Even with 10 exalts I still couldn't afford a Lightning Coil and a Taste of Hate :(

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

So here's a random mechanics question regarding Discharge:

Discharge is tagged as Fire, Cold, and Lightning. Does that mean that if I had a jewel that gave +crit chance/multi to say, cold spells, it would work with my power charge discharge - which is lightning?

It should, since Discharge has all of those keywords at all times, unlike Wild Strike which separates its keywords based upon what attack it ends up doing.

That and the jewel is saying "with cold spells" and not "cold damage". The former only checks if the spell has the tag, regardless of what damage it does, while the latter would want you to actually end up doing cold damage to apply.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

5ex for both those items total on talisman standard, and 9 ex if you 5l your own coil for talisman hardcore.

Talisman hardcore, where Taste of Hates are 5.5-6 ex and Lightning Coil is 4.5-5.5 ex, though I don't expect those 4.5s to be around long. Lightning Coil keeps going down, but Taste of Hate used to be 4-5 and seems to keep going up.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, Taste of Hates are also going to be useful for pretty much every build, while you wouldn't use a Lightning Coil if your build requires a different unique chest piece or whatnot.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Temple Piety tends to be an exercise in "can I damage her near off screen" or hit-and-run attacks if you can't.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

amazeballs posted:

Also Flame Totem and I assume all the other totem spells. Flame Totem worked extremely well for me. Also, selling Night's Hold Talismans has worked extremely well for me :v:

Also, Fire Trap works very well, if you happen to never find a Red Socket one.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, 6 links are either a luxury or a "well drat, I did that in 10-30 fusings".

By end game you should absolutely be planning to eventually 5-link something, which is only 150 fusings if you want to Vorici it, and thus a completely reasonable goal.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
From watching Havoc, he's mentioned that there's a range of upper maps that he just can't run solo with it and boss killing often can come down to "did I crit? No? Well guess I'm not doing it". That's not necessarily to say it still isn't pretty great for farming, but that it does have some limits.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

That's why I made my blast rain duder a Marauder with all the trimmings. I've got 12k armor and 6 endurance charges - not the tankiest character in existence, true, but I can handle most random poo poo that comes up.

I love my evasion characters to death, but man, there definitely is something satisfying of playing a 20k Armour, 63% block, Cybil's Blade Vortex character now and again where you can see just how much poo poo it takes to make your hp pool move any significant degree below full.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

ronya posted:

is your Cybil's a paw+shield build, or a paw+paw build?

Paw & Shield, otherwise I wouldn't get near enough block.

Phobophilia posted:

link tree and gear please

Here's the current tree with the character here under Balarr.

Uniques are Cybil's Paw, Stone of Lazhwar, & Lioneye's Remorse (because finding a 1000+ Armour, 80 life, 30% block Rare shield was drat near impossible when Lioneye's Remorse is sitting right there). Rainbowstride is a consideration, but I haven't been missing the other 15% spell block at the moment and I've been trying to fix the rest of my gear first. Rumi's would replace the Granite when I get off my rear end and pay the 40-50 chaos for it.

If I could ever get a 5-link, I'd add Controlled Destruction to Blade Vortex.

You end up with 27% block from the tree, with +3% more coming from +1% block jewels and the other 3% from Tempest Shield. Could reroute something to pickup 2 more jewel slots (I'm on my way to 1 more in the next 3 levels) to get 65% with Tempest Shield up, but eh.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Chromatics are also a way to balance gear, since socket colours are tied to attribute requirements.

I could run a Lightning Coil on a build that requires 5 blue sockets in my 6L, but I would probably gain more satisfaction from shooting myself in the face rather than trying for the 22,000 chromatics you would on average need to get it.

• Locked thread