Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm doing two handed crit sword Frost Blades because Jesus did that skill just got the crap buffed out of it, and the leech passive changes in the lower right of the tree aren't going to hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Otoh mine laying and detonating mechanics are a pain in the dick.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Common as hell enemy mod too, I hate curse immune so much it's lame.

I really don't know how to feel/what to think about the new physical spells at all, Really need to seem them at work/mess with them before I'd be willing to try a build.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah. Dual totems is boring. I had A dual crit shock nova totem scion in warbands and a) I still needed to use the drat flame totems at least half of the time because the shock totems just didn't scale as well and b) it was sooo boring.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 10, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's also slow. No matter how powerful and safe it is, it's not going to clear as fast as more active builds.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeah i got a bunch of them in different qualities and not a single one level 20 because i just dont play this stupid game enough to ever level any gem to 20

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so yeah i can't get out of the loving twilight strand without the game throwing up a horrible graphical glitch and crashing good awesome sweet and swell

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

not visually, no, but the only amulets that drop normally are tier 1. higher tiers only come from using talismans on the alter and will always be one tier higher than the five amulets you used to summon it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Just went and played around with blade vortex a little bit on a standard league character and now I'm really really debating dropping the frost blades ranger and doing blade vortex because haha it's funny as hell.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Blade Vortex is loving powerful as hell holy poo poo.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the Poison support gem is loving insane with anything that it can actually support.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

That's possible, but mathematically the dps gain the support should be worth can scale to huge amounts. 10% of physical+chaos dps multiplied by increases to chaos damage, poison damage, and damage over time should quickly push the added dps to crazy amounts. But again, this gain is only worth anything if the enemy is living through the initial damage.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm getting 1250dps with full stack blade vortex at level 30. All i've got is hatred and faster casting and added fire damage in the blade vortex. no increased duration of any kind yet either.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bad. it's a bad build. i'm not gunna share this mess. too little life ,not enough mana regen(early on) and a bunch of annoying rear end stat problems.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...gcelS7w1UlRpDk=

here is what mine would look like if I ever bothered to actually level that far.

Blade Vortex - spell echo - poison - life leech. Faster casting instead of spell echo if you prefer to spend very very slightly smaller amount of time standing still.
I'm running Vulnerability - Blesphemy and clarity for curses now, was running hatred, and hatred is probably better, but whatever.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A level 1 poison gem comes out to a 12.5% more multiplier to physical+chaos dps without any other chaos damage%, damage over time%, or poison damage% modifiers. This increases by .5% per level of the poison gem.

So the answer is that, without some proper stuff to scale it's damage, it's worse than most other gem options.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

Wait I don't think this is actually even right. Poison does 10% of phys as chaos per second for 2 seconds. So it's basically adding 20% of phys damage as chaos in the same way added fire or Hatred would, just over time. The only question is how the increased poison damage on it work, if it's multiplicative on the base damage since I have no other sources of scaling for the poison, or if +120% only works out to like 30% overall increase. I just kind of hate that so many ways to scale phys are extra damage of some other element, and they don't interact well with each other.

dps is damage per second. so it does 10% of phys+chaos as chaos per second (for two seconds) aka 10% more dps, the gem also comes with a 25% increase to poison damage done at first level. So it does 10 x 1.25 = 12.5% of phys+chaos damage as chaos per second, aka 12.5% more dps. This scales up with level, reaching 22% with a level 20 gem.

While I don't know exactly how all of the increases function on the added poison damage, the most conservative guess is that they are all added together (chaos damage% + damage over time% + poison damage%) and then multiplied against the "base" poison damage.

This would mean that, although the gem is weak by itself, with proper passive support it can end up being a 40% or more "more" damage modifier to physical+chaos dps. My own theoretical build ends up getting more than 60% more dps out of that single support gem.

And oh yeah, it's worth even more dps when you can stack it.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 14, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

doing purposefully simplified worst case math as an example of how the gem scales with passive support and some goon jumps down my throat to tell me that i haven't in fact done a proper full mathematical simulation of exactly what is happening

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I see, thanks.

e: actually are there passives that make the duration longer, e.g. any of the regular old duration nodes or maybe something specific to poison?

I have no clue actually. There are no poison duration passives, and I've yet to pick up any increased duration passives to test the duration with.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I don't think increased duration passives will increase poison duration either, but I'm picking them up anyway for Blade Vortex so I might as well check if they effect poison duration.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Also, if you are just starting out, or starting out in a new league, don't ID every rare you pick up unless it's a base you can use now, or in a level or two at most. Sell them un-IDed for the 7 transmute shards because lots of Transmute orbs are handy as hell to have around.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

You learn.

You use an item filter, you pick up rares you need for specific vendor recipes, you pick up rares that are good bases. You pick up smaller inventory size rares (1x3, 1x4, 1x1, 1x2, 2x2).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm using that filter and having no problem with white talismans but maybe I'm just not high enough level yet.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Poison duration scales with passives/gear/and support gems (if the poison is applied by a gem or support gem), a Dev just clarified this.

I was working on actual math for calculating the final possible dps that poison can get you based on all relevant variables but ugg I hate math and I keep getting distracted.

The basic answer tho is, holy hell it's a lot.

You also don't need to know how much damage any one stack of poison will do over it's duration to calculate dps, just how many concurrent stacks of poison you can have based on that duration.

For example, with 11% increased cast speed, 70% more cast speed and 95% increased duration a Blade Vortex character could maintain 34.8 blades which each hit once per second, allowing that character to maintain something like 135.72 concurrent stacks of poison.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 15, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's actually kind of a pain in the rear end because BV has a much larger radius than cyclone so once you have any sizable number of blades you aren't going to be able to hit anything to get more blades. It'll chop up bosses good, but using something that does higher individual hit damage is probably a better idea.

Anyway, BV + poison is a nasty nasty thing.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

at this point if you aren't just giving that stingy with the flask charges rear end in a top hat daresso a deadhand talisman you are doing it wrong

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Near as I can tell everything but totems can pick them up, it's just a question of getting them to stop doing other things long enough for the "pick up talisman" action to take place.

And there is just about no chance in the world that they aren't going to remove the flask charges from the deadhand slugs sooner rather than later, but gently caress it, while it's working, might as well be immortal for all boss fights.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

Some guy figured out that the threshold jewel for Barrage doesn't just add hits to the barrage itself, but also to any projectile that chains off of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCArJWWnZ6A

Note: causes more slow down and frame dropping than any cast on crit build ever. Watch this video and LMYA at the game being unable to deal with this.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I think he might be one shotting (nearly) everything that has actually spawned. Only seems to really miss stuff blocked by terrain.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I happened to log on for a little bit while my ISP was not being lovely last night and caught Xavori talking about corrupting an armorer's box, and just then I found a +7 items/+2 sockets box myself so I tried the same thing. Out popped a 6-link BBBGGG evasion body with nice mods. While I'm pretty sure I could sell it for ~3 exalts I've never actually played with a 6-link item before so I'll be keeping that. 10/10 would vaal again :iamafag:

corrupting chest armors has some sort of flat chance to 6link them. Vaaling armorer's boxes is actually a pretty good way to spend Vaal orbs.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

think ima do some ledge runs to clear out this dumb stash of taliscraps

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Just about have this self cast Blade Vortex Shadow to the point that getting new gear will be expensive, just need to replace my lovely breakrib talisman with something better and I should just about hit 5k health. Doing about 9k dps moving and 14k dps standing still (before poison) with a level 17 BV at level 71.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

1500 fusings is a hell of a lot of currency. that's roughly 750 chaos. I'd give that amount in ex as well but ex fluctuates so drat much (outside of standard) these days.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's probably actually Voll's protector that needs nerfed and not the support gem or blade vortex hth

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So talismans, and getting enough tier threes to open a portal to wolfdude, just suck. Especially as a solo player.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

there is a statue in act three who's had his penor painted red hehe

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Voll's charge generation is just utterly loving stupid, and yeah, it probably needs to get hit. Which will likely end up turning all of the current Voll's protectors in the game into legacy items.

I have like four or five Voll's on standard so this is ok with me.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

That new Ranger class is sort of totally loving crazy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I five linked my voltaxic rift yey time to level this dumb character up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's a hardcore race, and the last race of this "type" (not exactly the same ruleset admittedly) only 13 people actually completed it.

• Locked thread