Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

funmanguy posted:

Ok, about a week ago some people from the guild threw me some of the spare talismans to run down for rigwald sets. One guy in particular, whose name I cannot remember, gave me a bunch of ilvl 78+ talismans. Well, I have a set for a level 80 rigwald and I need you to get in the drat game so we can run it.

If you have an extra spot I'd love to join you/buy my way in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
This is very specific information, so may not be helpful to anyone else, but I figured I'd post it.

I'm doing an Ice Crash build, and pondering my link options.

I currently have a 5L I can use. The first four choices are pretty obvious: Ice Crash, Melee Physical Damage, Weapon Elemental Damage, and Increased AoE.
These are all pretty much "must-have" choices as far as I can tell.

I was trying to decide between Added Fire Damage and Cold Penetration for the fifth link. Doing a bit of rough math, and considering that I'm also running Hatred, it looks like Cold Penetration will add anywhere from slightly more to much, much more damage, depending on how much Cold Resistance the mob has (with more resistant mobs resulting in much more damage added). If you're not running Hatred, however, Cold Penetration only adds more damage if you're attacking a mob with high cold resistance.

I don't see Cold Penetration advocated much in Ice Crash guides (probably because it doesn't give you those sweet tooltip dps numbers) so I figured I'd mention what I found.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

J posted:

It's always a good idea to try stuff out and see how it is, even if no guides ever mention it. Run over to dried lake and use voll as a punching bag and experiment with different gem setups and see how they feel. That said, I feel like melee phys, weapon elemental damage, and faster attacks would be my first 3 links for ice crash. From there, I don't mind the blue slot for increased aoe, because you can also carry around a concentrated effect gem and swap it in for bosses, or for maps that have lots of narrow hallways like crypt where aoe isn't needed. Should you get a 6th link, a red socket would let you swap between life leech for reflect maps, fortify for general survivability, or added fire damage if you just wanted more damage. Although I agree with ultima that added fire isn't a very good gem, but having the socket be red so you can swap in life leech or fortify as needed is the more important part. You might even argue that instead of the blue socket as the 5th link, you could make the red socket as the 5th link.

All of those gems are great options - which one to drop for cold pen? I really don't want to drop any of those for cold pen. You could swap cold pen in place of faster attacks on the fly, I suppose. I personally don't think that's worth it, but I'm just going off gut feeling, I don't have math to back it up. But again - don't take my word for it. Test things out.

I've got Fortify on Leap Slam, and get enough leech from the duelist attack leech cluster and Blood Rage that I don't feel like leech is much of an issue. I use Inc AoE because of the damage falloff issue, but maybe I can consider changing it to something else. Definitely need to consider Faster Attacks. I'm really partial to cold pen because it increases your cold damage by something like 148% against a resistance capped enemy -- being that my damage is majority cold, it seems worthwhile to slot it in there to make my damage more consistent.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I have like fifty-something premium tabs because I'm bad with money and have a mancrush on Chris Wilson of Grinding Gear Games

Edit: I can't decide between an Earthquake Berserker or a Frost Trap Saboteur. Both look really cool. I'd kinda prefer the Frost Trapper as a first character because it would be easier to gear, except I can't come up with a build with reasonable health and defenses on that side of the tree while still getting the trap nodes I want.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Kild posted:

Is there anyone who doesnt already have a premium tab that thinks this is okay?

Everyone thats for it is like gently caress you got mine and if you dont like pay up too

All the old tools still work.

Edit: and benefit from several of these changes.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Ezekeel posted:

Having OP legacy items that are best-in-slot and better than anything you can find in the game nowadays ruins gear progression for me which is a large part of the motivation to play this game.

Don't play standard. Or, if you play standard, don't worry about legacy items. Many builds don't need to interact with them at all.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Build

I've been really enjoying my Ice Trapper, but I can't stop thinking about a Blade Vortex Necromancer.

Some cool tech: Stone Golem gives you a buttload of mana regen when you're doing MOM/ZO/EB. Same with Enduring Cry.

I'll be using Cybil's Paw and Bone Offering to sustain my life. Cybil's Paw will also provide 120% increased spell damage.

With Bone Offering and Tempest Shield up I'll be block capped against attacks and at 72% spell block (using a 28% block shield and Stone of Lazhwar).

Whirling Blades provides movement and Fortify procs.

Mana is fully reserved with Hatred and Haste. Tempest Shield procs Curse on Hit (probably Vulnerability, I doubt I need more defense).

I expect this build to be nigh invincible and have pretty great damage to boot.

Edit: Put your CODT Bone Offering links in a +2 Minion Gems hat for +1% block/spellblock and more life on block!

Tykero fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 7, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Magus42 posted:

So with EB and ZO, does that mean you've got to constantly be hitting your flasks when you do take hits?

And are you using a bunch of auras w/this?

Bone Offering restores several hundred health every time you block. Additionally, each Blade Vortex blade restores 5~8hp per hit (depending on how your Cybil's Paw rolled) which adds up pretty quickly.

I'm not sure about their build, but mine plans on running Hatred and Haste together, since you don't need your mana pool.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Vanguard Warden posted:

As another guy said, health is recovered whenever I block with Bone Offering up, and whenever anything gets hit by a Blade Vortex.

For mana reservation, I run Arctic Armor for the damage reduction because I spend so much time standing still while charging up vortex stacks. Right now I'm also running Discipline and Vitality to keep my energy shield high even while casting. The primary weakness of high-block builds is getting one-shot, and Mind Over Matter can only help with that if you have around ~43% of your maximum life as spare energy shield whenever you get hit.

Try running Stone Golem and Whirling Blades + Fortify, if you're not already. Enduring Cry also works like a 4s cooldown mana potion. I'm of the opinion that Haste is "too good to pass up" for Blade Vortex builds. Makes your Whirling Blades faster, lets you move faster when you're not using WB to get around, and lets you stack blades faster. Gets even crazier when you pop Vaal Haste.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Vanguard Warden posted:

Oh crap, I had completely forgotten that Cybil's Paw was a claw, and to a certain degree that claws were even a thing. I had just been thinking that I couldn't use Whirling Blades because my weapon wasn't a dagger or a sword.

Does skill effect duration work on Fortify?

I don't think it does, unfortunately. The base duration is pretty generous, though.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I selfcast Bone Offering because I like to have control over it, and it only takes a brief moment. My Desecration is in a low level CODT link setup along with Immortal Call. Today's patch is adding a buff indicator to Flesh/Bone Offering if it's affecting you, which will make selfcasting it more convenient.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

theshim posted:

What's the dumbest attack or spell I can put on traps or totems? I feel like doing something stupid and inefficient.

Lightning Warp Cluster Traps with Reduced Duration and Sunblast

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

jjac posted:

Before I waste more time on my freeze pulse shadow does frost bomb let you apply curses through the debuff pulses?

I don't believe they're hits, so I'm fairly certain only the final explosion works with Curse on Hit.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Mortimer posted:

yeah that's actually true, I forgot that RF totems is a weird edge case where they aren't actually causing fire damage so they don't trigger EE

RF totem don't trigger EE because EE only triggers on a hit. RF totems cause a degen effect that never hits, hence no EE proc.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Holy poops I'm totally making a Blood Magic Lacerate Slayer. Huge leech, immune to bleed and stun, super culling, aoe and damage boost if you've killed recently, halved reflect damage, twenty whole seconds of Onslaught after killing a Rare/Unique...

Laugh at all map mods except leech immunity. Right click to victory with what is basically double reave for two-handers.

Question is whether to use Axes or Swords. I'm thinking Doomsower would be a great weapon to start with, so probably swords. Lacerate won't get the fire damage bonus but the aoe radius will be swell and Doomsower is generally pretty cheap.
Maybe eventually switch to Axes with Atziri's Disfavour if I'm rich enough.

Edit: Somebody should make a Vigilant Strike Juggernaut

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

gonadic io posted:

As far as I know the explosions from blast rain are considered secondary damage and thus can't miss.

I've read a few times online of people verifying this, but should be easy enough to test myself.

Blast Rain doesn't do secondary damage. You might be thinking of Explosive Arrow.

Blast Rain can miss because it's an attack. So can Explosive Arrow. The secondary explosion component of Explosive Arrow can't miss, but the actual arrow fired can.

Rain of Arrows used to be bugged and would hit targets that it missed. That was fixed a long time ago. I'm not aware of any attacks ignoring Accuracy in the current game aside from Vigilant Strike, Vagan's mod, and Resolute Technique.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Hamburger Test posted:

I was thinking about a Scaea (or whatever) shield charger. But the numbers on that aren't that much higher than Bino's, so this saddens me a bit.

The cool thing about Scaea is that you can make a good crit build on the southwest side of the tree that isn't Hegemony's.

I'm putting together a Juggernaut crit reaver, which I'm probably going to start leveling tonight.

I'll post in the thread if it's successful.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Hamburger Test posted:

I had been looking at the dex classes, but Jugg is interesting. I assume you are getting Undeniable?

Yep -- Undeniable in Normal, Unflinching in Cruel, Unrelenting in Merciless, Unstoppable in Endgame.

Unbreakable and Unyielding are both super tempting, but the combination above ensures you can do any map mod, which I put a lot of value on. Unrelenting lets you get permanent IC, which is too good to pass up, Undeniable solves accuracy woes and also gives you a shitload of attack speed, Unstoppable is just such a great QoL thing that I'd rather have it than double body armour&stun immunity or boosted Fortify, but if I felt I needed more defense (not likely at this point) I would switch.

Use Scaeva in MH, Death's Hand in OH.

Current build plan (Needs tweaking)

Tykero fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

It's really good. Go with my build if you're playing Juggernaut though: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters

You need the extra armor from shield + chest if you're using Abyssus and Abyssus gives a lot more damage than an offhand does. Or don't and use Abyssus anyways, I guess if you don't mind the survivability hit it's no big deal.

I can't afford an Abyssus, so I'm planning on not using it. I've had Abyssus builds in the past and as nice as it is for damage, I don't care for the extra squish factor.

I feel like I'll end up with enough damage as is, but Abyssus is a totally legit choice, for certain. I may reconsider if I find one or suddenly become rich.
Edit: I don't mind keeping up Vaal Reave stacks, so that won't be an issue.

For sure, Ancestral Warchief deserves a 4-link of its own in basically any melee build. Only problem is keeping grampa totem alive sometimes.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 13, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

Actually you might be right anyways. Not using Abyssus would let me go ahead and stop using Determination and use Hatred instead, and between that, the intrinsic damage bonus from DW, and the Unholy Might it should balance out the Abyssus damage bonus regardless. I can try it later tonight. Sticking with a Shield gives life and resists though, so I'll have to solve those issues if I want to switch. I can probably address the lack of Crit Multi on the tree for swords by just using a Crit Multi gem as the 6th link, I'm using Increased AoE right now but wasn't for a very long time and it was fine since Lacerate gives AoE by leveling and I had AoE on the tree already.

You can make up the lost life and resists with a good rare Helm.
Your damage will definitely go down, but in a buffed situation it won't be by much. You'll be less vulnerable to phys damage spikes, and you'll have an added defensive/utility layer in freezing packs and shattering corpses.
Your crit chance can go up if you invest in the Twin Terrors cluster. If you weren't generating power charges in some way before, with Death's Hand you will be, so your crit chance may increase further.

My current plan is to use Hatred and a Blasphemy aura, though I'm not sure which curse I want. Probably Vulnerability, but if I feel like I need more defense I'll use Enfeeble instead (provided I can get enough Int).

Also planning on utilizing Daresso's Defiance, if only because it should be hilarious with Unrelenting.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Xequecal posted:

What is the best way to do endgame lab on an evasion character? Merciless Izaro does enough damage that I would think that with 0 physical mitigation, Endgame Izaro will one-shot you eventually when your evasion and acrobatics finally fail you.

Izaro's most painful attacks are avoidable (though some only just), ideally you would not give him a chance to roll against your Dodge/Evasion.

Realistically, though, you should have some form of defense that is more reliable on top of your Dodge/Evasion.

Fortify, Mind over Matter, stacked Endurance Charges, Granite/Basalt Flask, Taste of Hate, Lightning Coil, Kintsugi, etc.

Ultima66 posted:

Yeah I was doing calculations on this. I was running Hatred for most content anyways with Abyssus if I knew it was safe, but as for a general list of pros and cons of DW, assuming DW means dropping Abyssus while using a Shield means keeping Abyssus (both using Hatred):

Pros:
- Unholy Might, 30% phys added as chaos (~25% more damage if you're already getting cold added as chaos)
- DW intrinsic bonus, 32% more damage
- Crit Multiplier gem. Without Abyssus you should have around 300% crit multi, so adding ~100% is a 33% more multiplier. It's not worth using the gem with Abyssus and all the other alternative gem links for that slot kind of suck so I use Inc AoE right now.
- Endurance charge ascendancy line gives better damage reduction and damage stats than Fortify ascendancy
- Twin Terrors, ~9% more damage for 2 points (going down through Duelist through the DW nodes instead of the shield nodes saves 1 point)
- Use Enfeeble or Vulnerability instead of Assassin's Mark (not necessarily better actually, Vuln adds more damage but doesn't increase crit chance, Enfeeble is nice though)

Cons:
-About a 50% damage loss from not using Abyssus (It gives me 66% more crit multi to me and also adds about 20% more flat phys)
-Lose a lot of armor. 30k armor still makes phys damage not really hurt even in maps with Abyssus
-Go from ~30% block chance to 15%
-Lose stun immunity from the double body armor node
-Lose Inc AoE link if I want to add the extra damage link

If I really wanted to go hog wild I could just keep using Abyssus and switch to DW anyways, getting a massive amount of DPS. At least the option is there. I think DW is overall a better option, but I feel like using a Shield is probably a bit better for survivability. The extra damage taken from traps due to Abyssus because armor doesn't reduce those might be a big tipping point though, at least I'm pretty sure I'm taking 45% more damage from traps. I'm definitely taking more damage from Blood Rage since I lose hp very slowly with 5.4% regen on the tree, though it's very slowly so it's pretty negligible.

Extra con: not wearing Abyssus makes my character name SwordingHat a lot less of a good pun.

This is a great breakdown. Well done!
I'm probably going to end up close to the crit cap without Assassin's Mark, and even though AM can take you to 100% crit chance, I doubt it would be worth more damage than Vulnerability, especially if you're running a Voidheart. Admittedly, I haven't bothered to actually work it out yet.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 13, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

You won't hit crit cap, and you won't get to cap with AM either. A 10% base crit sword needs 850% increased crit chance to hit crit cap. Twin Terrors is 125, Disemboweling is 135, Fatal Blade is 110, Eagle Eye is 32. 3 Power charges is 150. This adds up to 552, so you'd need 300% increased crit chance on gear to hit crit cap. With only 1 ring giving crit, you should expect ~100% increased crit chance on gear, giving 75% crit chance. You can hit crit cap with Rat's Nest + 2 Diamond Rings + Maligaro's Virtuosity + Crit neck with AM, but there's no need to get to crit cap, you'll need the hat to cover resists unless resists on your other gear is insane, and Voidheart is way better than any Diamond Ring.

Also Vulnerability vs Assmark won't be a huge difference in damage. Vuln doesn't increase damage from Hatred or chaos, which is around 40% of your total damage. It will however buff your bleed/poison damage.

Good point about Vulnerability. I'm actually going to end up using the Increased Critical Strikes gem, though, which will allow me to hit slightly over 85% crit chance before gear with the Scaeva I have currently. A perfect Scaeva would make that just shy of 90% before gear, for reference.
That's not including a 20% quality Increased Critical Strikes Support (since that would be pretty low on the list of upgrades to spend my meager funds on). I'm expecting to use Maligaro's Virtuosity, and between that and a single piece of crit jewelry I was lucky enough to find, I'll be capped.
Past experience with Crit Reave characters has led me to find that consistent critical strikes are the most important factor for improving clearspeed, even if you get a bit less raw DPS. It's also way more satisfying to play :unsmigghh:

That being said, the difference between Vulnerability and Assassin's Mark will take some multi-faceted mathing to determine. If the difference between the two is not very great, I may settle on Assassin's Mark purely for the extra charge generation source, in case I'm in a stun immune map or something.

Edit:

Ultima66 posted:

Ok I just checked this out myself. It looks like this is indeed a bug with Lacerate. However, it goes away if you put your sword in the offhand and your mace in the main hand. This means you can't use Scaeva, since the good thing about Scaeva is the crit chance in main hand. So, find a crit sword that's not Scaeva, or use Sword + Shield.

E: my proof here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeaUlEU3s4o

This is a really crummy bug, hope it gets fixed soon. I'm glad it's not affecting Reave at least.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 14, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Zotix posted:

Are cosmetics one use only?

Only Skin Transfers and some "fireworks-like" effects are single use, pretty much everything else can be re-used, albeit only applied to one thing at a time.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

wait the main hand bonus crit is local? I always thought it was global, and I bet many people price it as such

Yep, it's local. Scaeva is amazing. My 1H Crit Reave Juggernaut is destroying poo poo.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

theshim posted:

:rip:

Was considering a Scaeva Reaver, but so much for that.

I don't think he confirmed that Scaeva's crit being local is a bug, so much as he said that it's applying multiplicatively instead of additively.
Seems like it's currently working out to 5% base crit -> 25% Increased Critical Strike Chance Mod -> 6.25% base crit -> 80% Increased Critical Strike Chance in Main Hand Mod -> 11.25% base crit
When it should be...
5% base crit -> 25% Increased Critical Strike Chance Mod + 80% Increased Critical Strike Chance in Main Hand Mod -> 10.25% base crit

Edit: I was wondering why I was already crit capped despite not wearing my crit jewelry yet.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Katasi posted:

I can see why you would take it that way (and the math you gave for the first part is absolutely accurate for how it's working right now), but he was answering a question in reference to a previous statement that he made saying that all conditional modifiers (things that only apply in certain situations, like only when in main hand) should apply globally and not locally, which is why I took the statement to mean that the crit will not apply locally. In fact, I think according to his previous statement, it would be impossible to apply locally, but I just tested, and the current incarnation of scaeva does not apply the multiplier globally, so you might be right.

I think it's important to note that Scaeva's mods aren't "conditional" in PoE's usual sense -- that is, it's not something that has to be checked constantly externally from the item itself. The conditional modifier they mentioned -- Daresso's Passion's "60 to 80% Increased Damage while you have no Frenzy Charges" -- is "conditional" because Frenzy Charges are not a property of the weapon itself, and therefore the mod must be global in their current scheme.

The hand a weapon is wielded in is a local property referring to the weapon and does not require a constant check external to the weapon, therefore the mod can be (and in fact is, currently) local.

I expect the only change we'll see is a correction to the calculation of the weapon's base crit. As it stands this will take me from ~101% crit chance to 93.5% crit chance, so I'll still be overcapped with Assassin's Mark active.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 22, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Well, I'm excited.

The prospect of being able to work towards doing a map type I actually like at a challenge level that meets my character's progress is thrilling.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Speaking of nerf. Do we know what they're doing to CoC because chris said it would be getting some love. Or do we just wait till patch notes?

California fan meetup was told that it's probably getting some sort of longer cooldown, on the order of 1s or something like that.
I was not actually there, this is just what I've heard.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
My first build this league is probably going to be a Bladefall Trap character. Life-based, with minimum four Jewel sockets to run Coated Shrapnel (just using a Poison Support until I can afford all four jewels).

Skill Tree at 84ish
Bandits would be Life - Skill - Skill or Life - Skill - Frenzy charge, not sure yet.
With Southbound gloves the build reaches about 200% increased life. It also gets 70% Increased Life Recovery from Flasks, which is nice on a build that can't leech and has low regen.
I tried to pick up a decent amount of incidental strength to enable a Decoy Totem without relying on stats from gear too much.
It gets a decent amount of incidental Evasion% as well, which when combined with the Blind proc from Saboteur should make the build reasonable evasive.

Overall it should be able to do any map mods, with early gear goals being pretty easy to achieve (Deerstalker for an easy pseudo 5link, Southbound for a nice life and cold resist bonus / maybe procs too if they haven't fixed that yet) and middle goals being pretty reasonable (probably 40~50c for the Coated Shrapnels, depending on how long it takes me to get them).

Currently just wish I could get some more life regen or frenzy charges without sacrificing too much, but it's hard to do. The basic skeleton of the tree isn't too flexible due to the location of the trap passives and the necessity of each cluster. The link between Shadow and Ranger could be moved around, but I like its current path due to the accessibility of Jewel Sockets and Life. Nodes to pick up after the above plan would depend on how it plays -- Druidic Rite for flask benefits and mana, more jewel sockets (there are two sockets three points away and one four points away), a frenzy charge (two points, not bad for 4% more damage, provided it stays up consistently).

I feel pretty good about the build plan for a first character of the league, though it probably still needs adjustment.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I am selfishly glad for the Bladefall Mine and slight poison nerf, because it means the Coated Shrapnel jewels my Bladefall Trapper needs may end up being cheaper this league.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

OTOH there's no reason not to go saboteur unless you're doing something weird :v: Saboteur gets huge bonuses to traps that are hard to make up for with other ascendancies (though they have the obvious disadvantage of having no defensive bonuses aside from blinding)

Indeed, Saboteur is a tremendous boon to clear speed because of the trap cooldown reduction. The fact that it also frees up your belt and a couple jewel slots is gravy.
I think it's pretty hard to justify running a trapper that isn't Saboteur, but not impossible.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
This dumb thing will probably be my second character. Dual wielding Doryani's Catalysts using Wild Strike. Gem links would be Wild Strike, Phys to Lightning, Added Fire, Weapon Elemental Damage, Multistrike, Elemental Focus (not in that order). Fire Golem and Lightning Golem. Blasphemy Elemental Weakness and maybe Hatred? Flickerstrike/Leap Slam + Fortify. Grampa Totem too, probably. Edit: Grampa totem gives more melee damage, which Wild Strike doesn't benefit from fully for reasons. Totem will then either be Decoy Totem or Ancestral Protector depending on how it feels on the damage:squishiness spectrum.

Should be pretty fun, especially with Wild Strike getting an even higher base damage multiplier. I think it needs more defenses (200% hp is nice but EHP overall is still a bit low) but I haven't figured out where to wedge them in, yet.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 1, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Vasudus posted:

I tried that when CDs were still 50% a pop. Wasn't worth it - even had that unique talisman that gives all damage types.

GC is just...bad. I don't even know if giving it at 30% damage boost would do it.

Glacial Cascade would be so much more functional if it was all Physical damage with a "60% of Physical Damage converted to Cold" modifier on it. I know that would kinda break the spell/attack design dichotomy but gosh it sure would make that skill suck a bit less!

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I ran Vinktar's Square last night for the map completion & shaper's orb, and also the shot at a nice flask, of course.
Unfortunately, the one I got was the "10% lightning penetration" version.

I realized, though, that I could mimic the benefit conferred by the expensive "20% physical damage converted to lightning" flask by simply using Physical To Lightning in my gem setup, thus allowing the Vinktar flask to provide substantial leech.
This has revitalized my interest in creating a flavor of the league Pathfinder Blade Vortex character. Obtaining Rumis and Overflowing Chalice would be easy enough. The expensive Vinktar and the Taste of Hate would have to wait, of course.

My Bladefall trapper is nearly level 91 and has killed two guardians, but Chimera took ages because of his poison immunity. I doubt I could kill the Shaper because the fight would just take too long and I would run out of flasks.
I know Pathfinder Blade Vortex can do it, but can it do it without Taste of Hate and with a slightly less optimized gem setup (Phys to Lightning instead of Increased Critical Damage or something like that)?

With 3ex to my name I could fund the character's starter equipment pretty easily, since I already have the (lesser) Vinktar. Somebody talk sense into me.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

Ok ok. FINAL REVISION: CI Dagger Deadeye LS

Hopefully the dagger crit+accuracy will let me consistently crit dudes, applying shock as well as elemental overlap, and crafting "Causes Bleed on Hit" on a weapon will let me cause bleed all the time, for even more crit and damage from deadeye ascendency. Anyways. That's the theorycarft. Time to put in ~15 hours to see if this idea can even get off the ground.

I would take Endless Munitions over Fast and Deadly. +200 Accuracy is pretty significant, the extra projectile is gravy, and the increased radius for area skills is nice for any curses you might run. Fast and Deadly is nice but wholly replaceable on the passive tree.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

actually I would trade in rupture, bleed doesn't stack and scales of a phys hit, so daggers are pretty bad for that

also get rid of the three ele nodes opposite Assasination (you can get a jewel that is better), and get rid of Essence Surge (this really never works), Arcane Vision is retarded with CI (you trade in always light for variable light, it's a low life node!), and get Harrier, Primal Spirit and Finesse

Rupture is still 10% proj damage, 90% crit chance and 40% crit multi for two points.
Though, if the goal is to use Lightning Strike with Phys to Lightning (I assume you would use Phys to Lightning) I don't think you can proc the bleed anyways due to doing zero phys damage, so yeah swap it out in that case.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I'm considering making an Essence Drain character and can't decide on Ascendancy class. The tree between the two is basically identical, just choosing between Trickster or Occultist.
Trickster gets more flat ES, a bunch of cast speed, and helps solve mana issues. Occultist gets to benefit more from Soul Strike due to Wicked Ward.

Trickster

Occultist

Anyone who has played ED with either of these Ascendancies want to chime in? Currently I'm leaning Trickster -- I imagine Soul Strike is still pretty great even without Wicked Ward, especially as a character that can spend so much time just dodging.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
RIP Decoy Totem, RIP all my east-side builds being able to kill Guardians.

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, tell me about it.

edit: from reading the threads on the official forums for most ED people, it's largely not possible to kill shaper in a reasonable amount of time unless I break 50k/sec on the DoT (tooltip). I currently have 34.7k, with a 21/20 ED, a level 4 empower, 21/20 pierce, 20/23 void manipulation, a 21/20 vulnerability, etc. The only way I'm getting that sort of DPS is going LL with a 6L shavs, swapping out my necklace for a +curse chaos% necklace, and switching my Doedre's to a chaos% ring. I would need to do all of that, which would be likely around another 25ex invested (15ex for the shavs + 7-ish ex for the neck, rest for a solid chaos%/es% ring) which I'm just not going to do.

It's really annoying because in my current setup I can melt anything t15 related and all of the guardians without problems. I did an absolute sicknasty Hydra yesterday (8 mods w/ -max, double elemental damage and mob crit chance) but whoops, can't do shaper.

I got him to 15% yesterday and that was largely due to absolutely perfect conditions, like Zana dying quick enough and being able to stay in range for my curses to apply for a long duration.

Vas, are you going the Decay weapon route, or Poison via Consuming Dark? Is your Wither totem able to stay alive very much?

I'm doing Occultist CI ED with a decay bow and Soul Strike and I'm hoping to eventually be able to kill Shaper. Character is only level 65 at the moment.

Speaking of which, anyone quitting the league that would like to offload any gear, let me know. I made myself broke again.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Selfcasting a channeling skill that doesn't even let you rotate instantly and also doesn't allow you to leech seems like a bad time.

It's a fire skill, so getting plenty of life regen and life shouldn't be too hard. Too bad life regen is still commonly penalized or even disabled by map mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
CI Crit Dagger Occultist running Blade Flurry is going to be my next league character if the skill works out like I think it will.

• Locked thread