Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Really? Steam says 1.5 for me, or are you using the standalone client? Also if I follow that bow guide linked in the OP blindly will that give a reasonably easy path back into the game until I can catch up with the meta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I downloaded an item filter this one, but it doens't seem to work properly.

For example I want ti to show Portal scrolls, and in the text file it says:

Show
BaseType "Portal Scroll"
PlayAlertSound 9 100
SetFontSize 25
SetBackgroundColor 0 0 0 100

Which looks like it should work. But portal scrolls don't show up unless I press alt to see everything, although the sound does seem to play. Any ideas?

E: Also if I want it to always show chests what do I add?

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 12, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

You could try removing the 100 from the SetBackgroundColor line. The fourth number is optional and sets the transparency of the item (0 = invisible, 255 = completely opaque), so it's possible that they are showing up but you can't see them because they're mostly transparent.

Doesn't make any difference. At least when I drop one to test it. Is it only supposed to work for stuff dropped from monsters that's never been picked up?

E: OK I seem to have found the problem. It does work, but only for a bout a second or so. And by the time I have finnished killing something it has all vanished. Is there a timeout setting somewhere?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just realised I've got almost 50 talismans but haven't found a stone circle yet, or at least didn't recognise it if I did. What do they look like?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How is the item level of a tier 2 and 3 talisman determined? Is it the lowest ilvl sacrificed? Average ilvl?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
FWP: I can't keep up with my rare items in ID scrolls. What's the best way to get more?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How often do store tabs go on sale?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh, I thought it was just fully linking whatever sockets were present but yes the "+2 sockets" mod on the chest didn't really have anything to do with it:

Reroll the item into a rare item with randomized sockets, links and six random affixes. If this result is chosen, there is a one in thirty-six chance the item will have the maximum number of sockets and links.

So what you're saying is if you have Vaal orbs and nothing much to do with them might as well use them on Armourer's Strongboxes regardless of other mods it might have?

Also I just noticed that jewels aren't being shown with my item filter, and I have no idea why. The used to show up, but now it seems only unique do (probably because they are unique and get caught by another clause) I have:

code:
Show
Class "Jewel"
SetFontSize 35
PlayAlertSound 3 100
SetBackgroundColor 0 0 0 
This seems fine to me and comes before any hide command, any ideas why they aren't showing?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

Not sure, might consider throwing your whole filter up on pastebin.

Here:

http://pastebin.com/NguHSghg

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If I want to level one master (specifically Tora) is there a good way to do that beyond daily missions? Or do I just have to take pot luck?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

az posted:

Ah thank you I didn't catch that, I assume that means the regular version is up to date and good to go?

edit: I was told his build was the better choice over Liftingnerds but I know not nearly enough to judge that for myself.

I've been following Neversink's build (the new version obviously) and apart from a couple of gear related hicups towards the end of merciless, it's been a pretty smooth ride. I just looked at the old levelling trees and tried to follow it roughly. Honestly at low levels it doens't make that much difference which nodes you get first because you are leveling so fast and once you are higher you should have some more idea what would be good.

FWIW I went east from Ranger and got the bow area, then down south to the big crit node, then did acrobatics around 35 ish I think, the up to the Revenge of the Hunted life, went south west towards Duellist for the life, then Phase Acro and up to shadow for the life and crit. Doubtless I could have done it slightly more optimal but it's worked plenty good enough.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I've found that pubbies will buy Blood Magic gems for 1 alch like they are hotcakes. I can buy them from the shop for 1 chance, and thought this was a great way to get something reliably useful from chance orbs. Sadly I ran out of chance orbs, so I decide to post an add looking to buy some at 2 per alch. Some guy whispered me offering me 32 for 12, then when I accepted he promptly sold me 62 instead :catstare:

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just found myself an Alpha's Howl, and wondering what colours to put on it. I'm using Neversink's guide and am currently using Hatred and Herald of Ice. I was thinking a red slot for reduced mana and three green for Hatred, Herald of Ice and Haste?

Also if I could get a guild invite next round, Parysatis.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Reduced mana doesn't work on Auras anymore unfortunately. I think I would try and fit another herald in there if you can.

Seems like Heralds don't interact with Alpha's Howl actually.

Is there a calculator somewhere to work out what I can squeeze in there? The link in the OP is dead.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Bugsy posted:

They don't get the +2 level because they don't have the aura tag on them, but they should still benefit from the 8% reduced mana reserved.

Going to go with Arctic Armour I think, been looking for a little more survivability anyway. This leaves me just enough mana to fire tornado shot twice :v:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Let me know if you want to sell that alphas. Name is playingonmytablet

I'm not super attached to it, but don't really want to sell it for less than an exalt though. Or trade it for a drillneck.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I hate to be *that guy* asking for pricing advice, but I've never reached endgame and really worried about equipment other than to swap it on and check if my dps goes up. Goons in game assured me this was worth a bit, but I have no idea how much or how to go about selling it if it is.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Haha, softcore, I'd last about 5 minutes in HC.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Now that my first character is up to mid level maps, the first time I have ever tried mapping, I've been toying with the idea of a new character. I'd like to play something tanky and melee, maybe with a shield, and I just found a belly of the beast. Any suggestions on fun build that are enabled by that? I can afford an exalt or two of other equipment if needed, but cheaper would be nicer obviously.

Someone suggested point blank blast rain, but I'm not sure I want another bow build, how much difference to the play style does point blank make?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
well, you get a rare T1 map!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Got purged, would appreciate an invite next opportunity> Same name ingame.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Dear goon who lost an 81 rigwald a few hours ago and ragequit, I am going to do one tonight or tomorrow if you want in. Let me know.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You realise the average is 300 something to get 6 sockets?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The secret is to have a build that can do any map mods. I am more or less sustaining high tier maps (prehaps 1/4-1/3 of the maps I run are T11, teh rest 12+), just by spending 4 chisels an alch and a vaal on each, with a scouring if appropriate. If it rolls really poo poo I will chaos it, but that's probably less than 1/10 of my maps that a chaos. The other thing I do is use 1-3 sac frags on my t12+ maps, 14 or 15 I will always use 3 frags, 12-13 I use only 1 or 2 unless it has crazy good rolls.

This is the first time I've ever got to maps, so I dont know how valid that advice is for later once things get balanced, but for this league there is no excuse, LA voltaxic and ChaosBlast are cheap and incredibly powerful builds that can safely vaal maps and not give a gently caress what mods turn up. I have failed a grand total of 1 map so far, which was a 200% inc damage, crit, turbo boss excavation that just didn't allow me any room to maneuver and cast flameblast. Everything else has been plenty doable.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...lorXz-j8ho-8i8=

My skill tree plan for the 24h race as a dual totem Templar, if anyone wants some ideas. Uses 49 skill points; I'll get 7 from quests (flat life from bandits), The Harvest is level 40, so roughly 48-49 points is a good estimate for what I can get. I took lots of life and armor and resistances where I could get it (including Chaos res), 4.3% life regen, and the good nearby damage nodes so it doesn't take too long to kill things.

Might be overkill in the planning department considering the tons of strongboxes but I'm not a hardcore player at all and die all the time in act 4 when levelling up new characters, so I wanna play it safe.

I'm going to try this:https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...dH9ES0snBBYh2U=

A little more damage, %life, and chaos res, a little less flat life, regen and ele res compared to yours. 6 and 2 3s really I would think. Mine does have the possibility of getting ZO and MoM, not sure if that would be a good idea though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Getting that itch again, good to see that there's a new league next week. I missed ascendancy completely, are the new melee skills introduced there good and or fun? Likely to stay viable or get nerfed for being fotm in the last patch?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Can I get an invite please next time someone's on? Pharnakes

E: Also what's the recommended site for item mods these days?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Artificial Idiocy posted:

How good/bad of a first character is tri-curse RF totem chieftain with either orb of storms or ball lightning to curse on hit and trigger EE plus EO?

Edit: by which I mean orb or ball to curse on hit, and traps to trigger EE since orb and ball won't deal any damage.

I'm thinking of something similar. Since I hate pressing buttons, I was wondering if I could combine things and use trapped ice spear to both apply ice damage and get crits? IS-GMP-Trap-Fork?,Chain?, cluster traps?, inc crits? Leave it in a 3l?
Or maybe use frost nova to spread ice damage around as much as possible so something like IS-FN-Trap-Cluster?

E: Does cluster trap work with the trap support gem? The wiki doesn't say either way.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 2, 2016

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It goes live at 20:00 GMT, or 4:18 from this post.

What's the recommended stash and trade companion app now? Still acquisition?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Bugsy posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/watchlist

You mark things to see when they go on sale.

gently caress, I thought this meant they where finally moving towards some kind of official trading solution :(

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
This patch taking absurd amount of time to install for anyone else?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm going for RF totems and so far is going pretty nice, up to high 80s now. I have 5.5k hp and for mos things I'm fine, but I suspect I'm about to hit a wall due to my terrible (~10%) phys mitigation. Mostly I get away with it by being a totems build that can run and dodge most things, but phys that's hard to dodge just wrecks my poo poo.

I can't use a helmet for armour as I'm wearing a doedre's scorn and boots are out too as I'm wearing windscream. I've already switched to a chaos golem and I've found I actually get more out of a granite flask than a basalt because my base armour is so terrible. What else can I do? I'm using a shield currently but it has life and resists more than armour. I do have an aegis aurora lying around which I think has the best block, but it doesn't give that much armour either and no health. Then I could maybe try for some + block on jewels to get the most of it?

Alternately I could buy a rare shield with health and armour, would be a better overall option? Using the max res from aegis aurora would be nice but I don't particularly need it right now. I do have a decent amount of + armour (~100%) from the tree, so if I can just find some base armour it should be alright I think.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Starting to feel like I have taken this RF totems build as far as I want. Anyone got a good guide to something that will let a super bad like myself kill shaper? presumably this means BV pathfinder, which is fine but I'm struggling to find much on the official forums. The OPs of both BV guide threads seem kind of threadbare/questionable and I don't really want to dig through 120 pages. I have a budget of around 10ex currently, so I could afford a shavs for low life if needed. I'd like an either LL or CI build since I've never done either before.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

van fem posted:

I haven't taken the plunge on LL. For the price of a Shav's, you can get an extremely good 6L ES chest with almost double the ES of Shav's. Also, the 15% more ES node past the CI keystone is absurd.

If you go BV, know that you will spend over half of that 10ex on a Vinktar flask (the lightning conversion version) and another ex or so on a decent Rumi's. That leaves a bit for ES/crit gear + jeweller's touch for your chest. I transitioned to ES around dried lake level (70-something). Check the leaderboards for passives/setups.

I've already got a rumi's so that's fine at least. CI does seem like a better option than LL at this point, I think I can squeeze in a good vinktars and a nice regalia into 10ex with some decent jewellery. If I have to go back to my rf totems and farm a bit more its not the end of the world though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How terrible would BV converted to 95% ele damage and EO be?

I'm enjoying crit BV so far but I don't like crit builds for maps so much.

E: I mean it's not that far of a stretch to spec into it so I suppose I'll just try it and see. It would let me drop master surgeon which I feel is kind of wasted on a CI build anyway, and take veteran bowyer for the 10% pen instead.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 21, 2016

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I've got a friend running voltaxic barrage and he seems pretty happy/op with it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
As a CI BV pathfinder what do you think is going to offer me better mitigation? I have 2 flask slots left after vinktars, ToH and quicksilver. Until now I've been using rumi's, jade and stibnite, but now I've got a ToH I need to drop one.

If I keep my rumi's I get 61% block and 2.2kev from the stibnite. Alternately I could drop the rumi's and use the stibnite and the jade which gets me 22k ev with 25% block. I'm thinking that block is probably more reliable than ev, but I'm not sure. The jade and stibnite flasks so far have been a great combination, I can face tank argus without getting hit at all for example, even with only 1k base evasion.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I made some things that I need pricing help with

There's an unupgraded hrimsorrow with ele weakness up for 9ex, and nothing at all for the coc. Are those useful coc colours? Is hrimsorrow going to be useful for a CoC build at all?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
RIP that shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

gonadic io posted:

What's the highest (effective) level empower you can get? Is it just 5, from corrupt and +1 gems item?

You can have at least 6, corrupted 4 +1 gems explicit, +1 gems corrupt implicit.

• Locked thread