Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

I think I do. I'll try to remember to log in tonight after work.

Awesome, that would be great. I can throw some stuff your way if you care. I should be done with work by 4pm est.

Also on crit chat, word on nugi'so stream yesterday was that crit multi is potentially being made additive instead of multiplicative and they may also be reducing base crit multi (?). So expect it to still be great, but probably less effective per %.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Should be on around 8 est or so.

Ended up buying an already rolled one off a pubbie for cheap, so I'm set for this league. Thanks anyway though!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yeah some of those enchants look pretty good so far

so does elemental focus

Hauki
May 11, 2010

new mace/staff/whatever skill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2H5GhBEhXk

Hauki
May 11, 2010

g'day ziggyd here

the life wheel now appears to be more of a life box

Hauki
May 11, 2010

actually the path of [other class] stuff might be pretty interesting for more complex builds that need notables etc. in weird places

oh i see someone already started talking about it and i just completely glossed over

gently caress, i'd way rather watch mathil gently caress around and test alpha poo poo than ziggyd

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 25, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ekster posted:

Yeah mathil is the best but this is better than Kripp trying to catch up to 5 leagues worth of updates.

i admit kripp dismissing item filtering out of hand triggered me

also taking like two hours to get through a1n

edit: why does ziggy have his cam mirrored
code:
fo HTAP
ELIXE

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 25, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

10bux posted:

On a scale from 1 - hosed, where would I be at the start of ascendancy if I haven't followed the game since masters?

Are most of the additions things I can pick up along the way? Or, have they added a lot of game-breaking poo poo that would save me hours if I was caught up?

I'm pretty excited to pick up the game again. I ran through act 1 on a fresh character and it seems like there's a million distractions now. Hopefully won't take long figuring out what I should just skip until later.

No idea what build I should play, but I'm leaning towards some kind of ranged attack. Like, elemental ST or any bow skill really.

poison arrow is now caustic arrow and is a legit viable build. tshot still good. lightning arrow w/ voltaxic is fotm again. blast rain is some sweet single target. there are some other new bow skills that are mostly good for leveling, but are still viable and/or provide decent utility later on if you want something different. bladefall is sort of EK meets rain of arrows, and is pretty great. Ele ST still works, and I think ST is getting a buff (maybe just at lower skill levels?) again with the next patch. all in all I think you'll pick up anything new quick enough.

probably the biggest QoL change if you haven't played since masters, vendors sell leveled skill gems now based on class, difficulty and quests completed.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Tagging these for when I get home. Did I miss anyone else looking for an invite?

A couple other people pmed me or whispered me today, so I got these as well

Hauki
May 11, 2010

10bux posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I randomly heard about Vendor Gem leveling in the 2 minutes I tuned into Kripps stream. Am I correct in thinking it does basically two things? First, any quest reward you don't need right away, you can keep it on the vendor to level so that you don't have to waste a socket on gear. The second is the obvious one, being able to purchase leveled gems later on. The difference being one you pay for, the other a reward? I remember the Masters sold gems but a small amount, and random skills. The Vendors on the other hand, sell a lot more and specific to your class right?

The thing I liked about elemental ST or buzzsaw as some remember it, was that it was easy to gear, easy to craft a BiS sword, very tanky with shield block, and you could easily switch to a culling rarity setup. Out of the builds you guys mentioned, do any fit those four things?

edit: I guess I was wrong all those times I told people "desynch will always be there unless you want to make it easier for bots and hacks, so deal with it!" That's pretty unbelievable they finally are fixing it.

Uh, yes, sort of. To keep it simple, gems on vendors level slower than if you actually leveled them yourself and also have a hard cap based on difficulty, so if you've got the sockets spare, it's better to do it that way. With some exceptions, the vendors sell anything you can get as a quest reward and a decent range of other stuff based on class. As you complete quests that reward skill gems, their inventory will expand accordingly. The easiest thing is to probably just look at the wiki or another database if you're curious about a specific skill.

Moving on, caustic arrow is probably the best fit for your criteria although it's not particularly tanky. Really all you want is a +3 bow and a leveled skill gem, and you can get fairly far into maps with just a +2 bow. I think I played mine to 85ish with a 5L +2 bow with a Leo craft. Links, +gem levels and DoT craft are all you need for damage as far as gear goes, so the rest of your poo poo can be wholly dedicated to stacking IIR/IIQ and making up whatever life and resists. If you don't mind playing bullethell or offscreening everything, you can ignore those too and just go whole hog on the mf setup. As for the others mentioned, they're a little more gear reliant to really excel and probably can't shove in quite as much iir/iiq without affecting clear speed etc. At least tshot and LA both get good use out of a rat's nest though. Bladefall I haven't actually played personally outside of leveling, but my understanding is it can be built pretty tankily for endgame, isn't terribly gear reliant and can probably fit in some rarity on gear as well.

I'm not really considering ascendancy trees in any of the above, so that may change things.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

That loving consecrated ground on hit might just break that ascendancy node

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The downside is that it isn't powerful enough to save you from high spike damage, lets say you came across from bears and a diamond shrine, it wouldn't save you from a good mauling RIP.

I was more talking about 50% increased damage, half cost spells and immunity to status effects.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

in game drop down pricing per item or tab loving owns

that is all

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Whoever was asking about atziri, I can run it for you if you don't find another goon or pubbie to do so. I probably even have some spare frags although I doubt a full set.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cinara posted:

Someone on alpha was playing Blade Vortex, can't remember who, but it was pretty good. There's even a helm enchant that adds a solid amount of increased AoE for it which is pretty huge. Assassin should be really good as Blade Vortex(even with the nerf) attacks so fast that the 10% chance of power charge on non-crit should work great. Though weirdly enough it might be one of the few spells where picking Ambush isn't worth it and you likely want Toxic Delivery instead.

Other good options include about a million picks from Scion, Inquisitor, Occultist and Pathfinder.

Nugi's running blade vortex with MoM & permaflask

how does Instruments of Virtue interact with stuff like CoC, mjolner, etc.? Do those triggers count as "casting" a spell?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

also per chris w just now, expect patch notes "early this afternoon"

its like 8am in their moontime, so

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I guess I'm thinking maybe a hybrid inquisitor lightning thing for first char, or maybe just CA for mf'ing again

Earthquake/sunder berserker also looks fairly decent so far, and I still haven't actually played BV. There are a lot of ascendancy classes I wanna test though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

so you get a total of 6 ascendancy points right?

why did I think you got 8?

also I'm fairly stoked for new leagues now, unfortunately work is a shitshow and I've got inlaws in town for like the next five days. RIP playtime.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TheRat posted:

Phox if half somalian if I remember correctly

thats probably like shoot-on-sight for a texas cop

Hauki
May 11, 2010

= nugi * :chloe:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fwiw some dude on Reddit graphed out elemental crit poo poo with various ascendancy classes. Inquisitor hits par with assassin around 70?+ resist iirc and surpasses it around 80+.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bugsy posted:

If that's the graph I'm thinking of, it's garbage. No monster has more than 75 resistance and doesn't even use penetration gems.

Yeah it is pretty garbage but at least gives a very rough idea. He posted at least one update already with some fixes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think I've got some 997%s at least. I probably half at least half a dozen legacy facebreakers, although I don't think the other rolls are nearly as good.

Anyway no one gives a poo poo about standard.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Some dude got a volls devotion on his cadiro for like 7.5k

Hauki
May 11, 2010

vOv posted:

Welp just had two crashes to desktop with no error message or anything in a half hour. Guess I'm done for the night.

I keep crashing to desktop with perandus chests, like literally the instant I walk into view of it. I'm not sure if it's a particular type of chest or not. Every time, I also then have to repair my install before I can log back in.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hey, Hey Tora.

I found the lair.

I got a vorici the other day, where the instant I accepted, the exile plus guards literally appeared on top of me. At least it was a "kill dude" and not "don't kill dudes" variant.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cinara posted:

Mjolner has not kept up with the times in terms of power, especially with no Voll's Devotion. It requires a very dedicated tree and gearing and a good computer on top of that. Cast on Crit Discharge is often stronger unless you are doing the full out perfect gear Mjolner, and there are lots of other cheaper and much stronger builds now.

EDIT: It also kinda sucks to level since so much of your tree is just pathing for stats and you don't get damage till suuuuper late.
having played 3 non-voll's mjolner dudes to high 80s, this is all at least partially true

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ronya posted:

well, if you need a lifesprig, I just put one in the SC guild stash

Yeah, lifesprig should be easy. I've given three so far to various goons this league, so hopefully one of them can pass it along. I'm also 8/9 on hermit cards, so I'll probably have another to give away soon enough.

Also thanks to another goon I've got hegemony's up and running now, I just need someone to bro deal me a cadiro lightning coil no hopefully that'll help on the defensive end. Reflect loving wrecks me hard right now, even with 5kish hp, decent leech, endurance charges, armor, granite and basalt flasks and cwdt immortal call all running. On the plus side, there's loads of room for improvement in virtually every other piece of gear I've got on :v:

Edit: also funman were you not around for that tabula fun last night? I won't spoil it, but cadiro had nothing to do with it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

speed running needs Whirling Blades, extrapolate from there

I saw one dude also running a low level cwdt with phase run and inc dur. That's kind of ingenious imo.

Also I'm really curious if ggg will ruin the best tabula ever, or just keep quiet on it.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 10, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whypick1 posted:

It turns out that Vagan Vorici can in fact de-socket a Tabula.
However, he can't then resocket it to six because "this item has fixed sockets/links" or something to that effect.

Vaaling on the 95% mana multi was just the amazing continuation of trolling general and Reddit.

also he rubbed it on kuduku pre-vaal

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Yes, they are used for dagger cast on crit builds. There's a fairly deterministic way to craft a perfect cast on crit dagger with a blue Vagan mod base that only bricks if your initial Regal is a few specific things. Since you aren't getting any accuracy on a cast on crit cyclone tree, even the best possible non-Vagan dagger will lose like 40% damage to missing over any Vagan dagger.

Note that how crits actually work is that accuracy is always rolled again for crits and if you fail that roll you don't crit. If you have 50% crit chances and 90% accuracy, you will actually have a 50% * 90% * 90% chance to both hit an enemy and crit it, rather than 50% * 90%, which would be logical. If you have no accuracy on the tree your accuracy ends up at like 79% or something.

Worse than that. I respecced my RT leveling EQ to crit staff, and before I took accuracy nodes & added gear I think my CtH was like 73%

Hauki
May 11, 2010

megalodong posted:

Why would you even do that? Like if you've been banned for cheating already, and then hit 100 at an absurb pace, what do you think will happen.

What do you mean an absurd pace? Plenty of normal people map for fifty goddamn hours straight are you kidding me he really thought no one would give that a second look

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Probably the crit staff version with Hegemony's Era. Or maybe an axe one with Atziri's Disfavor.

crit staff one p. fun & good

i just need a light coil real bad to offset berserker ascendancy

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Goddamnit.

I either wanted to do Crit staff ice crash or eq and of course that had to be the in thing this league.

tbh i think most people are doing RT mace/axe whatever EQ

it's... probably safer than crit as far as reflect is concerned, and vaal pact is soo far away

I think every one of my deaths on this char has been to unid phys reflect maps

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Katasi posted:

post your character name here, or message me on IRC, and I will get you an invite. I was gonna make fun of you, but everyone else did that for me.

he messaged me on irc while everyone was mocking him and i sent an invite

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I finally started playing my aborted inquisitor again, got a light coil from a pubbie cardio last night, and... This build is totally coming together. Most of my other gear is still poo poo, I'm running what may as well be a blue spell damage dagger and loving wrecking things with resistance-ignoring storm call crits after finally doing my cruel lab. I'll get an extra 10% cast speed and 40% inc spell dmg when I finally get around to merc, as the dagger lets me fit in a whirling blades-fast attacks-fortify to trigger that ascendancy node.

Defense-wise, I've got the coil now, constant fortify, easy source of endurance charges through curse on hit/warlords mark, arctic armour, and EB/MoM/ZO plus stone golem for ~100+ es regen per second constant, and even with my poo poo hybrid gear I'm still at 4k hp, 1.2k ES at 65 or so.

Other than that I'm running wrath, herald of thunder, a 4L storm call with less dur, echo, increased crits in a geofri's hat. Orb of storms plus pcoc is like instant max power charges, which bumps my spell crit to about 75% with a 375 multi. I can pick up two or three more power charges quite easily as well as more crit multi on tree. I haven't bothered mathing anything out, but I dumped a full stack of storm calls into an ele reflect rare and barely took any damage. I plowed through an unid t7 at 65 last night, and I imagine it'll only get better from here. Call of the brotherhood would be great, but I blew a lot of my currency on other poo poo, and then tipped the pubbie with the light coil way more than I should have but oh well. Anyway, poo poo is fun and good. Also a nice change of pace from crit EQ.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sweet docks bro:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I shall never play standard because I'd have to sort through 50 tabs of REMOVE ONLY filled with junk and currency.
Pfft, I have 133 remove-only on standard now. I even make a token effort at clearing poo poo out sometimes!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not to be a noob, but how do I join the guild?

I tried PMing Skyl3blazer but I get an error---"Invalid recipient username. Please press the back button, enter the correct username and try again. Click Here to See the Members List". And predictably, the Members List just 404s.

My character name is IronQueenDecember.
I'll get you in a bit.

Bushiz posted:

so having played through the last couple days, ending up at lvl 38, not really knowing what I'm doing but ending up with a ranger build that does close to 2,000 dps and having beaten act 3 without any trouble anywhere, and then I do this labyrinth thing and get my poo poo COMPLETELY pushed in by the boss. Is this a thing? Did I do something wrong?
It's a warning for what's to come.
In all seriousness though, lab can be a bit harder than anything before (or after) it especially if it's your first time running. Just come back at like 45, don't stand in poo poo and you'll be fine. Bring a movement skill ideally.

Anyway, I think we had this discussion earlier this week upthread, but your first char is probably going to be a throwaway, poo poo can get significantly harder past normal difficulty, and if you're not familiar with the game or following a guide, it's easy to build a character that won't necessarily function in the endgame. There's also a bit of weirdness going on with the difficulty curve since they added act 4, which I would argue can be harder for a new, untwinked character than the next two or three acts following it in the next difficulty.

Edit: basically take way more life nodes than you think you need.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 18, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rurutia posted:

Armor is the only way. It also counts your ES+HP as your total life pool when calculating the base damage, so take that as you will.

also leo-crafted shields

also I think there might be something weird with the way it calculates damage with life and es, when I was still specced hybrid on my coc dude a single dart trap took my entire es pool plus about 75% of my health pool in one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

RIP servers

• Locked thread