Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
is swapping challenge league loot for someone else's standard league loot TOTALLY BANNED NO RMT NO RMT NO RMT, or is it just not supported or moderated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Bluemillion posted:

Speaking of that, why aren't there spears in this game? They'd be awesome as a pure dex melee weapon with a melee range implicit.

because the Ranger is thematically designed around fast 1h weapons (claws, daggers, swords) or a bow

that's more or less it, really

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
short-term goals: obtain a Voll's Devotion, on standard or challenge league

progress: 9 out of ~25 exalts on Standard. hmm. Also a pile of Agates and chance orbs, in both leagues. Wonder whether I should try my luck...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
All that, and on hardcore, via low-level mapping? You don't ask for much, do you?

On softcore I'd recommend something flexible like this. LGOH and TT means you can run curse or no-leech no-regen maps more easily.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
dealing with Dominus's lightning as melee is less of a problem if you can Whirling Blades in a circle around him.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
If you segregate all your "leveling items/might need this" tabs from your "endgame items/liquid currency/recipe items" tabs, it'll make merging stashes much quicker on league end.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Resistances: two-stone rings help a lot.

Slap crafted resistances onto everything if need be. Crafting is a godsend for the poorly-equipped.

More than a couple of weeks into the start of a league, you should just trade for a Goldrim and call it a day. It's going to be way better than anything else you have, for a long while at least.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

victrix posted:

So I haven't played in months, or seen Act 4. They reset all skill points and gently caress if I can remember how to play my dude or use a build now.

I have a Duelist in the 40s, a moderate selection of gems, and a small bit of currency for trades.

What's a build that has a) nice mobility for zipping around and b) snazzy graphics for slaying everything on screen? I'd like to skip basic 'swing fast!' attacks if I can, that's what I was doing with sword & shield before iirc.

budget fakener

main requirement is a 5L Voll's Protector

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 24, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
A thought: the character list at the selection screen should display their bandit quests with little icons next to the name.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
So I wouldn't have to log through each one to find out what they have.

In-game, you can already just hit the waypoint screen and flip through Act II. Although, yeah, it should be in /passives or something.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It isn't - /passives will tell you whether you got Eramir, but not which of the bandits you aided. Yeah. I dunno why, either.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
they're going to hit Discharge or Voll's Protector or Voll's Devotion or Blade Vortex with the nerfhammer, hard. maybe all four.

I just wish I knew what's going to happen before investing in a build. if they crimp just Blade Vortex alone, then discharge mjolner is still going to be safe. But I could see them nerfing Discharge into the ground and then some, seeing that it's a skill designed for an age when you had to generate every charge one by one.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I do play on Standard, and yes, the thought also occurred to me. They might do the thing they did to Surgeon's flasks. So I went shopping for some Voll's Protectors today - without links they're cheap as dirt.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
they might not touch Voll's at all and just nerf Blade Vortex or Discharge, mind

and gem mechanics don't get legacy'd

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

January Development Update
Hi guys!

There has been a lot going on since the release of Talisman in December, so I wanted to take some time to update you on a few things we're working on.

Ascendancy
We're planning to release the Ascendancy expansion (2.2.0) in early March. The Talisman challenge leagues end on the 3rd (US time), and the deployment of Ascendancy will likely occur in time for the weekend.

We're currently in the final stages of creating/polishing content and internally testing the Labyrinth. We will probably run a short test on our Alpha servers (with existing testers at this stage - please don't message us about it. We'll let you know in the news if we're seeking more testers).

We will start announcing more Ascendancy classes in a few days. There's each one for the Marauder, Ranger and Templar coming up this week. We also have some new skills and other bits and pieces to announce in the coming weeks.

Trade System
As I write this, I can see Jonathan working on trade improvements. They'll be deployed in several stages this year. The first stage, substantially improved APIs, is expected around the release of Ascendancy in March. Other stages later this year include things like cross-instance trading and some other heavily-requested trade features (not an Auction House).

[snip]

neat.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
idly wondering how many 5Ls one would normally flip before encountering a 6L, on average

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
wonder whether you have to manually cast spells in order to trigger the Orb of Storm benefit

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Bugsy posted:

That 100% of damage leeched as life thing is so very powerful.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vaal_Pact

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vessel_of_Vinktar

And while not feasible for 99.99% of the games population http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Atziri's_Acuity

e - and this as well for super degens. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Retch

What is a Savage Hit, though?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
300 seems to be the conventional wisdom; hence 350 for no-risk via Vorici.

In the nature of independent RNG, it's entirely possible for the bill to run into a thousand or more, mind you.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
"Right, right. I mean. There is a change to crit mult that is coming that will possibly mean that the crit mult will get a rebalance as well..."

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
There must be stuff that only dedicated players will have time and wealth to access. I'm fine with this tier being endgame maps rather than build-defining uber uniques.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I could see a Surgeon's Quartz Flask of Reflexes becoming de rigueur, depending how much dodge they provide. Too little and they'll feel ineffective on their own. Too much and they'll make Acrobatics OP.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'm a little curious what sort of build would work well in that race, too

firestorm/flame totem?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

NecroMonster posted:

Elemental shrapnel shot ranger should allow you to pick up lots of health and still do simply grody amounts of damage. Just make sure to invest in some int so you can level auras.

tell me more about how this works. Hatred plus Added X gems? Do you just alt bows until you get one with a healthier chunk of flat ele damage?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
if it's just cold tempests and chilling ground everywhere, I'm going to be disappointed

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
playing my first energy shield character

(it's a hybrid)

whoa I just cannot get used to ES being so sensitively dependent on your gear. I upgrade a bit and the bulb explodes.

also: ignite and misc viper poison DoTs, suddenly so annoying. Can't just ignore ignites any more :(

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I don't think so, or the hardcore racers would just run Malachai six times.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
looks like enough people deleted their characters that they might do something

quote:

I received a lot of emails about this, so I'll make sure that we fix it up as best as we can. I haven't personally looked into what went wrong yet. If people have deleted their characters, we'll try to recover the information from logs. It's time-consuming but will hopefully be possible. Unfortunately because today is Sunday and tomorrow is an NZ public holiday, the earliest our server guys can investigate is Tuesday NZT. Sorry for the delay!

Manyorcas posted:

So I last played this game waaay back in beta, but I never got beyond act 2 so I'm still essentially a new player, looking for advice on my build and some more general questions.

Currently, I'm building an elementalist witch but I don't know which element/spell to focus on, so right now my skill layout is nothing but life and energy shield nodes, with plans to fill in the specific elemental nodes later.

- Is mixing energy shield and life in a build like this viable, or should it generally be one or the other?
- By when should I have decided my specific element build, ie, when will mob HP outstrip what basic gems and equipment can do damage-wise
- Ghost Reaver seems to be really good if life leech on spells is a common thing at all, gonna assume it is.
- Zealot's Oath any good at just one point out of my way?
- elemental resistances is mostly from gear and not the passive tree from the looks of it

Seems like this league is ending with the new expansion anyway though so I may end rolling a new character in a month anyway.

from experience, you'll start having trouble with pacing around A4M Dried Lake.

with leech, in particular, you need hefty damage to be leeching anything. Leech is not common on spells alone but you can use a life leech gem.

hybrid life+ES is indeed viable. It's also expensive, though, not usually advised for new characters (because you need items that provide a good amount of both life and ES, enough to survive chaos damage) - arguably it's even more expensive than pure ES. You might not have as much trouble with this, since you've taken a huge amount of ES and life passives. But your damage will suffer, and with it, you're going to have trouble leeching.

ronya fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 7, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
e: dp

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Nomic's Storms are the best boots you can have whilst levelling, for the sole and incontestable benefit of 40% movement speed in towns. Sadly, boots do not get any faster.

Once you are mapping regularly from your HO, you can ditch em. Most of the time that matters, your ES bulb is not full. And outside towns, if gottagofast matters to you, just whirling blades your way about.

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 7, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'd socket all my gear and set up full CWDT effects. You're missing a lot.

That won't cost 2ex, of course...

e: in other news, followed a mjolner passive tree so carefully that I failed to notice that the designer is using an Atziri's Acuity (which he mentions as an option). Needless to say, I do not have an Acuity. Now in an attribute jam. Time to shop carefully for rares, I guess.

e#2: thank god for crafting. Some careful adjustment later I have capped res despite underlevelled purities and a Saffel's.

e#3: aaaand I missed note of some rares in a remove-only tab. Time to spend another scour.

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 8, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Thinking of pushing my CWDT to level 20, because it seems to fire reliably even at level 14. Currently it triggers Blood Rage and Immortal Call.

I see that Immortal Call got nerfed so that it provides increased duration rather than base duration. With that in mind, is the Inc Dur support still worth it? I could replace it with a high-levelled Molten Shell, for the armour boost.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
e: double post

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Died three times to a doubled possessed Torture Chamber boss, even with Saffel's, Purity of Lightning, and a Topaz up (I only went in the third time because I was at 0%exp).

Laser cut through me like butter, not even enough time to leap behind a pillar. Just how much damage would it be doing anyway?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
yea the map had boss mods

I could tank everything else, even the warp totems. they're just so much flask food. but then LASER and I'd be back in my hideout

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it's possible the buyer just changed his mind and (being a nerd who plays ARPGs) just decided to block you instead of explaining why

or maybe he disconnected?

if you feel uneasy, change your password

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
they're not all timed buffs that you can kite until expiry

there's always the odd area boss like that dried lake spider

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Crit is capped at 95%.

You can already spam Cold Snaps with a CoC+Protector build, though, I have a character which focuses on it. If you have a Protector, any critical hits will generate power charges, including the skill with which you are triggering CoC - so you can never run out of charges as long you are only casting one Cold Snap per critical hit. With an EE setup, you get 50% penetration and Shock with Arc. Alternatively, you can just stack attack speed and expend the power charges to overcome the 50ms cooldown on CoC (this is currently the only way you can do so - the "expend a power charge to reset cooldown" mechanic of Cold Snap trumps the 50ms cooldown created by the CoC support gem).

For all this effort, you'd have trouble out-DPSing Discharge, though.

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 11, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Hey, divine orb, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
PSA: when dismissing your level 8 masters, check that you're actually dismissing the right master. Just accidentally kicked Leo just when he was on the cusp of hitting 7, thereby wiping out two months of dailies

• Locked thread