Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
which six are you missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
that's nine! :v:

you can camp in 820 for t1/t14 twinned, 8 mods, shore/cem/thicket unid and free masters - shouldn't take long. snagging a free t14 took a while for me. t1 twinned/shore/cem/thicket: buy/roll them and offer it free, pubbies will help you clear it quickly

1k rampage requires some work with a Gorge and a pile of alts (for Sea Witches. the prophecy is unreliable). I had my attempts fail at 800-900 a bunch of times; I was using Wyrmsigns for the rampage rather than map device mods, thankfully. it's a 1alch unique. when it did work I got ~1200 monsters in the Gorge

820 sometimes has free unique boxes; otherwise I guess prophecy chains are your best bet. spend some chaos, buy coins, keep sealing tedious prophecies.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it's not just passive, it is also clunky in the clearspeed era- there are lots of ways to ramp up the damage of RF totems (EE, EOverload, Daresso's Passion...), but you're still limited by the need to place them and then wait for the totems to cast RF

even with three totems I found it really clunky

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

The Real Foogla posted:

so if I never complete Tier1 maps except Dungeon... 6 Link Farming Ahoy!

wait, how are 6 links related

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
life leech is a complex concept in poe due to multiple waves of tweaks for balance purposes

leech is not instant. When you hit an enemy with an attack or spell that leeches, you will normally leech 2% of your total hp per second per enemy, for however long as it takes to regenerate the amount that you leeched with that hit, until your life bulb is full again. Then it stops, like hp potions do. This normally stacks up to ten times (ie 20% of your total hp per second - the "maximum leech rate"). So if you hit eleven enemies at once with a single hit, the eleventh hit doesn't add any leech. if you hit more enemies and those existing leeches are still generating, the additional hits don't add any leech. The intention was to limit how much leech endgame players could acquire.

in Normal difficulty, you will not normally manage to leech 2% of your total hp per second. Your life is maybe ~500-1000ish, 2% of that is 10-20, many sources of leech only give 0.2-0.4%, you will have to be hitting enemies for ~3k damage per second to reach the cap. So, those mods don't really provide at benefit at this stage - feel free to ignore them.

Realistically, by the same reasoning, you're not actually going to be leeching a lot. But as long you keep your life flask sizes up-to-date, you're not going to have a problem, even without any life leech or gain on hit. Also, you're a marauder, you have lots of passive regen in your tree nearby.

tl; dr: don't worry about leech, it doesn't do much for you now anyway, just use your flasks

Surprise gearchecks: There are no immunities. Players spec for single damage type output, mainly, for efficient stacking of modifiers. don't worry about that.

as with D2, getting capped resists is a gear check; game is balanced around 75/75/75/-60, so you eventually need +135 to all elements (the game does not consider chaos an element). this is not difficult. rolls on each item of equipment go up to +48 and you can get three such rolls on a single glove. while levelling through acts, usually players scrounge to meet the cap, then only optimize at level 60+. btw, heads up: in Act 2 Normal you will be offered a permanent choice of +40 to life, +10 to all elements, +60 mana, or a passive point. pick the life or the passive point - you can make up the resistances easily later, much more so than +40 life.

the main newbie trap is not getting enough +%increased maximum life from tree. 4% or 5% from tree seems drab and unexciting. in practice you will eventually need about +150-200% increased life, especially as a melee character.

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 26, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
shock and horror is easiest if you can vapourize her fast enough that she doesn't have time to get her laser out

otherwise, time spent dodging behind a pillar is time in which she summons more warp totems, which then warp around and create more shocked ground, or simultaneously warp onto you when you poke your nose out behind your pillar

it's kind of nasty with builds that are only managing yellow maps through generous sustain/leech

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
when they first put a cooldown on coc, that was a misnomer; actually it puts the 10/50ms cooldown on the spells it was triggering

so spells that consume charges to ignore cooldowns - like cold snap - could actually ignore the CD

wonder whether that has been changed in the patch

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
might roll a coc coldsnapper if coc stuff is now really cheap... linked voll's protectors and vagan daggers should be pennies now right? will voll's devotions be affordable (hah)?

not sure how to increase the damage, though. what goes in the links? hmm. can't be Arc. hypothermia? it's a %more.

not sure there's any way to dispense with voll's... hm. 100% chance to cast when critting doesn't reduce the charge consumption. still, it's an enormous damage boost if they forget to prevent cold snap from consuming charges to get around the cooldown

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
There's no indication that the 500ms cooldown applies to Mjolner.

You still lose 35% damage from triggered Discharge, but it's still an enormous buff.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 1, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Discharge might not actually be as effective with Mjolner if you're going to be losing all your charges on every hit. The power of Mjolner relied on the non-triggering hits to generate power charges for the triggering hits. If every hit fires off, you'll only ever fire off one power charge, one end charge, or one of both. Toss in the 35% Less and there goes your enormous base damage. You may as well just use Arc.

hmm, actually, maybe not. Will have to think about it.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 1, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
If you use Discharge and Arc in your Mjolner, as long as your Arc (and Molten Strike) don't crit (which they won't, since you have RT), each will generate a power charge with Romira's. So you'll still be able to go crazy, but with a much higher proc rate - Arc and Discharge will alternate, but it doesn't hurt your DPS as much as you'd guess since each alternation will give you more charges to use on your next Discharge, plus whatever DPS that Arc itself adds.

You'd lose out on one support for that Discharge but there's nothing really good to add to it anyway.

The big news is that you can now put a Slower Projectiles on your Molten Strike, so you don't have half of them missing on a single target.

In overall casts-per-second terms, GGG seems to have decided that three casts 30% of the time ≈ one cast 100% of the time. Except that most Mjolner builds had two spells and a support, not three, so it's going to increase. Not complaining though.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 1, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ronya posted:

If you use Discharge and Arc in your Mjolner, as long as your Arc (and Molten Strike) don't crit (which they won't, since you have RT), each will generate a power charge with Romira's. So you'll still be able to go crazy, but with a much higher proc rate - Arc and Discharge will alternate, but it doesn't hurt your DPS as much as you'd guess since each alternation will give you more charges to use on your next Discharge, plus whatever DPS that Arc itself adds.

You'd lose out on one support for that Discharge but there's nothing really good to add to it anyway.

The big news is that you can now put a Slower Projectiles on your Molten Strike, so you don't have half of them missing on a single target.

In overall casts-per-second terms, GGG seems to have decided that three casts 30% of the time ≈ one cast 100% of the time. Except that most Mjolner builds had two spells and a support, not three, so it's going to increase. Not complaining though.

update: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/50m90v/spells_in_mj%C3%B6lner_now_has_a_100ms_cooldown/

you pretty much have to use three spells now to get the most of it, I think. Maybe Discharge, Arc, Storm Call?

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 1, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
because it triggers in sequence, at 5 triggers per second (i.e., above the likely 100ms cap), is there a point with three spells? it's not 100% more - you don't get all three off with each trigger. you get one at a time. it may as well be the same one, but cold pen and hypothermia.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

lurksion posted:

100ms = up to 10 triggers/s, and also spells have independent cooldowns like CWDT, though you can't trigger on the same attack, so it'll start slightly slower but then you should get them up to speed after half a second or so.

I think.

yea. you won't hit the cap. so instead of triggering 1.6 of each spell per second, why not just fire off the most damaging one five times and then give it two supports

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
PSA: cold snap does not consume charges to suppress trigger cooldowns; in fact it no longer even consumes charges for its own cooldown, meaning that it's pointless as a trigger skill now

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

lurksion posted:

To be clear, there's no way of bypass it's cooldown now? What about vigilant strike? It would be the last "use charge to bypass cooldown" skill?

You can still consume a power charge to reset its cooldown by selfcasting it. It just won't do it as a triggered skill, so you can't feed it an endless stream of power charges with Voll's Protector and Cast on Crit.

(it used to be the case that the bypass mechanic also applied to the 50ms cooldown imposed by CoC, not just its own cooldown. Now, not only do you have to wait 500ms, you have to wait for its own cooldown too - it won't bypass when cast from a trigger, even if you have power charges aplenty)

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 3, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
there's no other use for low ilvl/low base white items

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

theshim posted:

Hm...

Out of curiosity, if I'm using Dyadian Dawn, which has "deal no physical damage", would Herald of Ash or Hatred do anything?

yes - you gain the full fire/cold damage based off your physical, which you can then convert (to fire/cold/light/chaos) if you like. any unconverted phys still "exists" but is not dealt to enemies - you cannot leech from it. it will still count as a Hit, even if you deal no other damage types. any converted damage still inherits its Physical tag even if it does no Physical damage, so if you have 100% phys -> ele conversion and you have 100% increased physical damage, the increase will apply to the converted damage and you will deal all of it (as ele damage) to enemies.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
you always use EE with RF totem or Searing Bond Chieftain. there's no reason not to. attach your Curse on Hits to your GMP Ice Spear, so you can get your elemental overload in.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Nope. You just go to one life point.

Re: Mjolnir, first decision is whether this is a Voll's Devotion build or not.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Did they change it again to add in a 200ms cooldown? It's just 500ms, I thought.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I agree - I think GGG regards the whole affair as something for experienced players, though. Does the average player progress past Cruel Hillock?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
What items or skill gives chance to gain Onslaught on hit?

Anyway, Lacerate is an aoe skill. So on-hit effects will apply for each enemy you hit. So if you have one enemy in front of you, a single use of Lacerate with Multistrike will gain the on-hit effect six times (assuming a 100% chance to hit). Two enemies, twelve times.

If you run around with Lightning Arrow + GMP + Chain, a single arrow into a mob can get you 45 hits.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I want to make a Blade Flurry character to mess around, but I have a feeling it has nerfs incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Guild request!

IGN: rny_kronk

• Locked thread