Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

This is disgusting and you should be ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

AegisP posted:

Blade Vortex is a spell, so no, it never hits.

Spells hit. They aren't attacks though, so physical attack damage leeched as life doesn't count. The only things that don't count as hits are DOTs, of which the only one that's self-cast I can think of is Righteous Fire.
That said, Blade Vortex definitely won't be consistently leeching enough to make up for a lack of Rise of the Phoenix.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

funmanguy posted:

Also, you a brave man rat, going melee acro. I wouldn't do that in sc.

It's really not bad, the hard part is only that you'll have less HP/HP regen. It was really good back when acro didn't gently caress with your block chance.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

quote:

Spark damage has been increased in damage by 10%, and starts at 4 projectiles, increasing by an additional one at levels 9, 17 and 25.

:getin: So many tempting build choices...

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bugsy posted:

I don't know if this is good enough. Spork is probably still dead though. :(

It's literally more than double the damage potential compared to pre-patch. It's gonna clear packs like a motherfucker, not so much bosses though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't think a lot of people realize that if you face-cast Spark, all of the projectiles hit the target directly in front of you. So it's a really good melee-range single-target spell too. Obviously not good if you skimped on ES or +life/armor or whatever. But it's not the worst AoE spell ever if you try to use it single target. Not to mention it's a character level one spell so if you're like me and prefer to level with your actual build instead of respecing into a new one once you get enough XP, that's an option.

When was the last time you used Spark? I don't believe it's been that way since before the shotgunning changes.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

funmanguy posted:

Nah, it went from being the best item/build in the game(without mirrored gear). To being a really good build that could clear uber and all tier 15 maps.

Edit: Spergs like me might like this

Nice. Wish there was a modified DPS column for ones that can be reliably modified though, a lot of them you have to do more math to get the right figure. Fire Nova Mine's true DPS is 976 for example. Flame Surge's is 1926.
e: Oops my flame surge math was at one cast per second. Fixed.

LordAdakos posted:

As someone who picked this up when it first came out but hasn't touched it since then (and only had a character up to level 15 or so) what do you guys recommend for some relatively easy, reasonably powerful builds that I can level up with and play around and have fun without having to sperglord forever worry too much? Sometime like a minion master? Totem Summoner?

Summoners actually require a lot more of a spergy balancing act than most other builds. Kinda the price they pay for automatically killing things. Funman's right that Shockwave Totem and Searing Bond are both incredibly simple, but they're also kinda boring which you can alleviate a bit by putting fire trap as a secondary attack.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 9, 2015

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mince Pieface posted:

Man, now I can't decide what to do! I'd like to try something new, but I'm worried Chaos Dot or my crit heavy strike will end up terrible and I'll lose interest

Contagion is almost guaranteed to be ridiculously good and versatile, so you don't have to worry too much about that. Crit heavy strike is a bit harder to figure, especially since it won't reach its potential until you're like level 70.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ultima66 posted:

Trapper clear speed was actually extremely good before the prolif nerfs. Fire Trap was up there as probably the 3rd best skill to spread ignite prolif after Flameblast and Detonate Dead, and was the one that was immune to reflect. It also was quite strong against bosses as you could just run in circles throwing down Multitrap - Flame Surge - Trap - Conc Effect for really good single target damage. I haven't heard anything about traps since prolif was nerfed though, as that was the primary trap build that was actually very strong.

Lightning Trap clear speed is wonderful and traps are getting huge buffs on the passive grid, but it sucked hard at killing bosses and ele resist rares, which will probably remain. My solution was a vaal spark trap and hope I place it just right, since vs traps shotgun but only if the source of the projectiles isn't actually underneath the enemy.

funmanguy posted:

Oh, they are. It's terrible.

Thinking about the new physical damage spells. There isn't any physical leech that isnt tied to attacks outside of doryani's invitation, right?

Warlord's Mark and the leech gems themselves would both work.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

regulargonzalez posted:

Any ideas how Melee Splash works with projectile melee attack skills like Frost Blades?

Splash is centered on the targeted enemy (meaning the one that's technically getting melee hit). Shift clicking to attack nothing will not proc the splash.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Gibbo posted:

That is a shame. Why did they make them stop dropping? Too unbalanced? Did they make farming x thing too easy?

Gotta keep in mind IIR/IIQ have opportunity costs; having both IIR/IIQ slottable meant skills that require fewer links to get to good levels of damage had an unfair advantage in the long term. They've pared down the ways to get IIR/IIQ a lot since the early days and each time it's been an improvement (in closed beta you could roll increased item rarity/increased item quantity on weapons, and there were a couple increased item rarity passives on the passive tree.)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

funmanguy posted:

New melee splash gem has More Splash Radius. That's a thing.

Is someone datamining poo poo?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Gooooood.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NecroMonster posted:

not visually, no, but the only amulets that drop normally are tier 1. higher tiers only come from using talismans on the alter and will always be one tier higher than the five amulets you used to summon it.

You can tell them apart by the item picture actually. Tier 1 talismen has white strings, tier 2 have little black beads on their string, dunno about tier 3 yet.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The growing decay jewel looks pretty weak at first but doing some theorycrafting I think it might actually be ridiculous for a super tanky build. Without changing my build at all (it's not even dual wield), 3 of the gem build up to dealing 700% increased attack damage :stare: I think the difficult part will be finding a middleground between good clearing speed and ridiculous boss damage though, because of course I don't want to be opening combat with like 40% increased damage.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
From Reddit, the t4 unique amulet:

Also they're undoing the curse changes. Replacing by capping action speed reduction to 75% (so you can still get 100% reduced move speed I guess).
Apparently they're changing curses more extensively (and the hotfix was just them implementing one of their future plans immediately) for 2.2.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 15, 2015

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NecroMonster posted:

corrupting chest armors has some sort of flat chance to 6link them. Vaaling armorer's boxes is actually a pretty good way to spend Vaal orbs.

To be specific, corrupting an item has 4 possible results: Nothing, changing the implicit, turning a socket white, or rerolling the item as a rare. When it rerolls the item as a rare, it has a much much higher chance of being a 5 or 6 link item than normal.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1519496

quote:

The spawn chances of Stone Circles have been increased. They have a 100% chance to spawn in the Western Forest, the Hedge Maze, and the Dried Lake. The Ledge has a 100% chance to spawn one in Cruel and Merciless. The Imperial Gardens have a 60% chance, the Hedge Maze has a 100% chance, Kaom's Dream and Stronghold have a 35% chance. The Belly of the Beast areas now have a 20% chance in Normal, up to 30% in Merciless. The Dread Thicket is now always 50%. All non-unique maps now have a 35% chance to spawn a Stone Circle as well.
wtf

quote:

Fixed a bug where the Volley Fire Jewel would incorrectly add extra projectiles when it chained or forked.

Short lived, but probably still really good, just not bugged to be insane.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

jjac posted:

More talisman mixing stations are good though?

Yeah just surprising they added a way to do it on demand whenever you want, in the highest volume farming areas in act 1 and 4.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vulpes posted:

I hope the 35% stone circle spawn in maps doesn't affect monster density. I haven't played enough this league yet to see whether circles spawn more mobs in the vicinity (like shrines), less (like masters), or whether it doesn't affect it at all.

Doesn't seem to affect it at all, monsters are often on top of the circles but definitely aren't spawned to 'guard' it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

devoir posted:

You can craft a mace with level 1 blood magic baked in, giving you an effective 7 link. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vagan,_Weaponmaster

It tends to be less necessary given the mana cost changes, but if you want to be able to fully reserve your mana it can be quite strong.

It is worth noting that http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Hezmana%27s_Bloodlust now also exists on the axe side of things.

Wouldn't this work with axes as well?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
:woop:

quote:

quote:

Fixed a bug where skills (from both players and monsters) which dealt chaos damage over time were doing far too much damage when supported by Poison.
This is pretty bullshit if they are completely removing the interaction with poison and CA/ED DoTs. This was a unique and thematically awesome way to play the game. Turning CA into a single target focused skill is actually interesting, because focusing on the single target damage was detrimental to the area damage. Also it was super awesome playing as a shadowy assassin who injected victims with a poison that exploded out onto others.
It also wasn't overpowered of an interaction. Yeah the single target was fast, but in vast majority cases that came as a downgrade to aoe clear speed without significant investment into gear.

quote:

Cool, so the fun new skill got nerfed I better just go back to cyclone than.

quote:

LOL vaal spark is still in the game nice job cuckolds guess you dont wanna make havoc mad

quote:

Chances are we're gonna drop POE. 1st they nerfed my curser on std, now they nerf my friend's chaos dd. TY GGG!

^note that his curser was unnerfed and his friend's chaos DD hasn't been changed at all^

quote:

letīs just nerf ED so bad it doesn't make fun anymore, time to play cyclone again boyz... i mean seriously it felt clucky all the time since you didn't have proper defense mechanics but now it feels like poo poo "oh you want to kill that boss? better whirl around him for 10 minutes straight beeing forced to use your wither totem, self curse and recast ed constantly after the dot ticked out". Bug fixing gone bad, thanks good job

Goodnight sweet prince.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

deftest posted:

Is there a race season currently going on?

On their site, I see the items displayed with the usual point-o-meter. But I don't see the calendar... Is there something buggy with my browser? Or are there no current events scheduled and they still keep text like "See calendar below!" ?

The soulthirst race reason already happened, so that's old info.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

WastedJoker posted:

Is the OP guide still relevant?

I've just downloaded this.

Yes, the OP is from the last major patch, just under 3 weeks ago.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

kaaj posted:

So I'm totally new to PoE (but not to other hack'n'slashes) and I'm playing hardcore. I'm wondering - I'm playing ranger trapper (want to see if this build will work - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1543845 ) and was thinking about going for evasion as my "defence". Would you say that this is a bad idea? Or what would be i.e. "safe" amount of +life % / total life which I should be aiming to get from the passive tre?

It's fine. Depends on your build but try to get 150-180% life on your passive tree + acrobatics (the passive tree in the guide you linked has 187% increased life when complete). You could have a little less as a trapper instead of a miner, but miners are more vulnerable.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Winged Orpheus posted:

So did the patch break any of the "recommended" builds in the OP? I'm just starting out and dont want to start putting together something that doesnt work anymore.

They're all still strong. The current best cheap builds are essence drain + contagion or one of like 10 different Bladefall builds.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

euphronius posted:

I just read up on the expansion. Are Those class specific spheres making nerds angry? Seems like a large departure by ggg.

They're not in until March or April or whatever. There's probably a decent amount of stupid posts about 'em but not enough that they're visible enough for me to find 'em.

I'm very curious how GGG will balance the game once Ascendancy rolls in, since there's already people complaining about how easy it is to level to 100 now and Ascendancy is gonna make characters goddamn ridiculously powerful compared to how they are now.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Real Foogla posted:

warning not seizure safe

It used to move your screen instantly with every flicker :monocle: It was horrible.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dis astranagant posted:

lol are there seriously only 3 gems that work with dualwielding?

There's only three simultaneous attack ones yeah, but the reason you dual wield is the 10% more attack speed and 20% more damage, so pretty much every melee skill works with that in mind. The base damage of Dual Strike for example is 170%, which is alright but nothing special.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

JTDistortion posted:

How do traps interact with temporary buffs? Do I want to have the buff up when I throw the trap, or when it gets triggered?

When it's triggered. What form of temporary buff do you have that that's relevant to trapping and has that degree of control over it though?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dis astranagant posted:

I just realized that I've been using Molten Strike as my single target attack for 2 whole difficulties and don't really know why. What are the pros and cons of the various single target melee attacks?

Molten Strike with conc effect in a five/six link is actually one of the best.
Heavy Strike/Double Strike are about on par with eachother.
Infernal Blow is weaker, both due to lower damage effectiveness and the conversion to fire damage.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NecroMonster posted:

there is a statue in act three who's had his penor painted red hehe

Marceus the Red! I killed myself on his tempest shield in Merciless once :downs:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kea posted:

While im asking silly questions is there any point to keeping random uniques like this

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=604984935

(found at level 32 for some reason)

I assume you got it from a strange barrel strong box? There's no point in keeping it unless you're gonna use it on this or a future character, but I personally hoard unique items because I'm an idiot.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bugsy posted:

Guild reinvites should be all caught up. Let me know if someone got missed.

I didn't ask for one yet but could you throw one to ViperWorm?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Do people just leave items in their standard stash and never touch them again? Is it bad form to ask to borrow/steal them? Will give a loving home in standard. It's terrible but I just don't have enough free time to deal with starting over in seasons.

The whole guild pretty much does not give a poo poo at all about the standard stash, as long as you don't do something dickish like take poo poo just to vendor/sell it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Real Foogla posted:

I personally skip the last 4 nodes to phase acrobatics, you should be zipping around with +50 movespeed or so to avoid any spells and tank the rest with capped resists

those 4 nodes could be more health to make that even easier

:confused: This sounds like an incredibly bad idea.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wafflecopper posted:

what are APIs?

The API in question makes it much easier for poe.trade and similar sites to get data from the game. Don't think there will be any visible changes in game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Two new skills revealed, both are auxiliary damage spells that aren't intended to be used as primary attacks: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1576685

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ronya posted:

wonder whether you have to manually cast spells in order to trigger the Orb of Storm benefit

It says using lightning skills, so even if triggered gems don't work it might make for a ridiculous Hyaon's Fury build if 'skills' includes static strike and lightning strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

also: anyone who ever done a Queen of the Forest build; how much evasion % you need to get from the tree with average to poo poo gear to not be slow as balls?

This depends really heavily on whether you're using a shield.

• Locked thread