Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

1) The 'old' way will still work.

2) lol if you are seriously trading and you own no premium stash tabs right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The reddit always whines so nothing new there.

The official forums are even worse.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I wanted to do Inquisitor crit Shock Nova first but I watched mathil try out a simple Berserker 2H RT Earthquake build and it looks really fast and fun so I might go for that. The initial hit already does a good amount of damage and has good AoE so for most trash you don't even need to 'wait' for the actual big hit.

Also have a vid of Pohx being Pohx by smoking some dank kush right before streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZV7hZmIuhI

I have no idea what Texas drug laws are like but that seems like a Bad Idea.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I hope they have good internet in jail.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Pretty sure he's mixed race. Sad that that matters but it probably does.

He's half-Arab iirc so good luck with that.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If people want an easy league starter character, mathil just posted a vid on earthquake and sunder and 2H RT Berserker Earthquake is a cheap and fast way to start. It's probably what I'm going to do because Earthquake looks really fun and satisfying.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Too bad they didn't change curse immunity map mods, oh well.

EDIT: I missed nugi's facial expression there, lol.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ziggyd posted a vid on how to level smoothly with spark + orb of storms for any spell build basically. Lots of alpha streamers leveled their casters that way and it's fast and cheap from what I've seen.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Mortimer posted:

is Assassin the "I have 100 ex to spend on gear and now I'm god" spec or is it more like 1-100 busted as hell

I haven't played PoE seriously since that league with surprise boxes and I am thinking of either scion bow+summons or gladiator duelist and I can't think of which might be better for longer

The worst thing I can think of happening to me is picking a build that is great early but stops being good at early maps

Assassin makes crit builds much easier to gear for and accessible than ever before so you should be fine going with that.

Melee builds are a lot better and tankier due to a number of changes since last you played, most importantly the Fortify gem which gives a 20% reduction against all damage types. Going Earthquake/Sunder 2H RT Marauder Berserker is cheap and effective.

Most caster builds are easy, cheap and strong as well, like Firestorm self cast. Going non-crit caster appears to be a viable and strong choice as of Ascendancy due to a number of changes and ascendancies that go well with that like Witch's Elementalist.

Chaos damage causes Poison and is stackable now and very strong. Last league had insanely powerful Fire to Chaos conversion builds due to the synergy of Bino's and The Consuming Dark uniques which has been rightfully nerfed but it should still be strong.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Vorenus posted:

Is this tree good for such a build?

Simply put, no. This build is worth following from what I can tell for a cheap beginner build if you want to go spark all the way. Note that it's based on the previous patch, where generally you wanted to go crit with spells, but non-crit is much better now than it was before and Orb of Storms makes Spark a lot better as well. That's why the author says it's not as good at high level mapping, it should be much better now. Just pick Witch Elementalist and get the elemental conflux node, the rest is up to you.

You could also go Arc (check the official class forums for good, if temporarily outdated builds) or most other spell based builds and be able to level up great with Spark + Orb of Storms. Arc might be better at high levels but it's hard to tell with all the changes at the start of a league. Path of Exile builds can go in a million different directions and everyone has their own preferences, so you generally won't find an 'optimal' build. It's best to check multiple builds, ask some questions in this thread or in guild chat and the rest you have to learn with experience.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If you go Scion definitely take the Deadeye ascendancy. A second good ascendancy is probably Berserker for the free leech and extra damage.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

I'm gonna do that but I'm thinking berserker instead of champion.

I prefer mathil's version who also goes Berserker.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Detonate Dead dominated the meta back when fire prolif had the best clear speed in the game, that's why it's relatively weak in its current state because they had to nerf it pretty hard.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Bingo posted:

I'm running a crit shock nova inquisitor which is really fun so far, the dps is great and its lots of fun whirling around between packs and blowing them all up with one crit, but I'm having big problems with survivability and I'm not sure the right way to go. I could go either EB/MoM/ZO, EB/MoM/Ghost Reaver, or go Vaal Pact instead and try to cast on mana but have to give up Arctic Armour. I haven't played a life/es caster in a while so I'm not really sure what people do for survivability, or whats a good es amount to have before going EB

I'm running crit spark inquisitor so our set-ups should be fairly similar, easiest way to get good defense and solve your mana regen issues in one go is to get a Stone Golem, get EB/MoM/ZO and buy a good ES shield (250+ ES, costs a couple of chaos at most). ZO works great with Stone Golem, effectively giving you 90+ extra mana regen. I switched at a little over 1k ES and I've had zero issues, it works great. You might have already done that but I run my whirling blades with faster attacks and foritfy for extra defense and good mobility. Put it in a 4-link with Blood Magic so your ES can regen better but it should be okay without.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I recommend putting your stone golem in a CWDT setup so it's summoned again whenever you're damaged.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 8, 2016

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

She's a bit of a coward.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

RossCo posted:

Do people just ignore the "Dont kill dudes" variant when they have inappropriate builds? I'm running Cyclone and the precision targeting really isn't in my skillset.

The exiles are a lot faster than the guards so you can kite them away from the group then burst the exile down. I'm even able to do so with Spark so Cyclone should be fine.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Awesome! posted:

does this game normally get so many patches?

Normally it doesn't, this time it had some stability issues (read: game crashes) that it didn't have before 2.2 so they've been working hard to fix those.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Budgie posted:

Or wait till 51 and get Terminus Est

I take both because why not. :getin:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Sgt. Slaughter posted:

Hello friends,

Is Skyblazer still the right guy to PM to get set up with a guild invite?

Just go on IRC or post your IGN here.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Vasudus posted:

So I have 26 skill points free and enough respec points to clear out what I've already spent on my Scion sparker. My original plan was to go crit, but I realized that I hate the EB/MoM/ZO trifecta so now I'm trying to go elsewhere. Would an IW-based sparker with elemental overload work as well as I'm thinking?

I used to hate EB/Mom/ZO too but the stone golem giving you essentially +90 free mana regen feels so much better that I don't have any problems with it anymore. Link the golem with CWDT and you're set.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

What's a good level to do cruel lab on? I really need those two ascendancy points to finish my build, but I've heard scary things about the place.

If you want to have an easy time I'd do it at lvl 60+ or even 65 depending on build. Izaro just hits pretty hard relative to when you can do it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like varunastra is secretly op, there are a lot of nice weapon keystones and they can take otherwise crappy rare jewels and use all the random weapon bonuses on them, 1000% increased damage can be scary.

I'm playing with the idea of Varunastra crit reave because it has considerably higher base damage than daggers. The 5% base crit is low but Assassin, the increased crit strike gem and efficient pathing should make it really good, but I haven't done the math yet. I suspect that, in theory, it should be better than crit dagger reave.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

How do you guys approach selecting and buying gear?

I just got to Act 3 Merc for the first time and I'm having a lot of trouble even with capped elemental resistances. I'm trying to balance getting more damage out without sacrificing survivability, but I feel I should be doing much better since I'm doing a Fire Nova Mine saboteur build. I am also bad at games so that may be the problem.

Push to Act 4 and run Dried Lake till at least late 60s, I run it till I'm 70 personally. Dried Lake is almost entirely physical damage so resists won't matter that much. I only buy res gear once I start mapping unless I absolutely need it on HC or something.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

I have not played this in a long time, and I do not know if the OP is out of date.

Is the trade system in this game still some ridiculous thing where you go to a third party website and skim through postings and such? Or have they updated it to provide something much more organic in-game (like an auction house)?

As others have said it's much better than it used to be, basically you buy upgraded stash tabs where you can easily price items in-game and you use a third-party site to search for stuff (poe.trade). I'm personally of the opinion that it's a stupid system but that's a discussion that has been had many times before. That being said the current way of trading is fairly smooth in practice.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

All you need to know about the story is that PIETY OF THEOPOLIS is literally worse than Hitler.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Captain Fairgraves Act 10 boss confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Remember ProjectPT ragequitting the game with the Xbox One announcement? He's now playing World of Warcraft, on a vanilla private server. :staredog:

No shortage of (ex-)PoE streamers with 'issues'.

• Locked thread