Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I bet I could defeat Roman Reigns, if I summoned up all of my power. I shouldn't be able to defeat main eventers, just low card guys and comedy gimmicks, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

fart blood posted:

As a designer, I find that typography in the Royal Rumble wordmark to be bloody atrocious.

Isn't it just the Game of Thrones font?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Watching Roman struggle to lift Sheamus above his knees was pretty entertaining. Then commentary having to sell it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I wonder if Triple H is gonna be off TV for a bit, spend the holidays with the family like last year.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Mauro Ranallo as the new main announcer for Smackdown may actually make me watch it for the first time in years.

What a signing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SamuraiFoochs posted:

They're doing what they should assuming they stick to it (they won't).

Yeah that's the vibe I get. I say gently caress it, let him get frustrated, turn him heel and feud with Ambrose and Owens over the IC belt. Go with Dean trying to help and keep the League of Nations from interfering, and somehow getting Roman DQ'd. Or wait until Rumble and have Dean eliminate Roman, then Roman turns on him and tosses him out, and they feud for a while. It looked for a while like they were gonna make him Rock 2.0 anyhow, so why not tie that in too since the crowd already works against him in some cases?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This only works if Stephanie is off screen tending to her husband as well. Otherwise we will get a raging Steph promo and no way for Roman to respond without a mic in his hand.

Just let him come out holding a chair while she rants and raves and calmly hop in the ring with a "bitch, leave" look on his face

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 14, 2015

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

possibly roman reigns has bad taste and thinks these lines are good? who knows

It doesn't really matter what he thinks of the lines if he's told to say them.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Isn't it just the Game of Thrones font?

Q.E.D.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jetfire posted:

It doesn't really matter what he thinks of the lines if he's told to say them.

i'm arguing that the guy they want to be the next big thing could possibly say no sometimes. we know the shield did but i guess that was all seth

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they haven't balked at Roman Reigns after everything that's happened, I'm pretty sure he could say "yea, i'm not going with this Tater Tot thing" and nothing would happen to him

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

I went to high school with the lady EMT at the end of this. I should ask what filming that was like.

actually she's right there in the preview shot

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
As always, Rumble Roulette sign-up will go live on January first.

The Royal Rumble logo is so ugly this year. God.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Well, 1/3rd of the Boston crowd briefly cared a little bit that HHH was getting beat up.
Do you think that means tonight's Philly crowd will finally realize that Roman is over and good at wrestling and talking?!

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
I have no idea who they're going to put against Sheamus for the next four weeks assuming a) Cena isn't back yet and b) Roman is "fired"/not feuding with him

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fiveace Attorney posted:

I have no idea who they're going to put against Sheamus for the next four weeks assuming a) Cena isn't back yet and b) Roman is "fired"/not feuding with him

Barrett wasn't around for the run-in so face turn imminent!!!!!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Lesnar, he beats Sheamus in 12 seconds, set up for Reigns/Lesnar 2.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Lesnar, he beats Sheamus in 12 seconds, set up for Reigns/Lesnar 2.
I am more than alright with this but having faith in that kind of thing happening on raw is pretty difficult. Here's hoping

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Sheamus will feud with the world's largest athlete, the big show!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

The Royal Rumble logo is so ugly this year. God.

it matches the event itself

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

looks like haitch is on the shelf tonight

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Go the whole nine yards with crazy Roman. Give him solid white contact lenses, and have him attack HHH at the hospital. Spear him into an MRI machine or something. Police arrive and try to subdue Roman with tasers, but he no-sells them.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 14, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

good

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah stephanie screeching for 14 minutes to start the show should own

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I bet Ambrose will either get stripped of his title or get put in some giant match to lose the title tonight as punishment for Reigns.

Probably throw the Usos against all the Wyatts or something as well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they pulled a HBK/Taker, where Roman enters the Rumble early and fights through a bunch of people, then gets eliminated and his dream dies and he throws a tantrum. Then to destroy the heat and totally throw away what made HBK/Taker work, Reigns gets the belt at Fastlane a few weeks later.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What a shock, the authority is on the shelf during that last couple weeks of the years. Hopefully he goes on a vacation with his family to recuperate.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally I hope Sheamus is stripped of the title for being a huge nerd whom everyone hates, Roman is fired until the rumble, and Kalisto is given the title in recognition of his outstanding achievements in the field of doing cool spots.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
it was cool when daniel bryan did that occupy raw thing at least partially because he managed to get one over on stephanie in a PG atmosphre

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

But then he died forever

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Ever since that Max Landis "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" video rekindled my interest in wrestling for the first time since I was a kid in the '90s, I've been watching PPVs (no Raws, nobody's got time for that) and listening to the #how2wrestling podcast. I think I've got the basic gist of what's happening.

Thoughts coming out of last night's TLC show and the last few PPVs:

- Folks I think are flat-out boring: Del Rio, Barrett, the non-Bray Wyatts, Rusev, Ryback and Jack Swagger. Sadly, the Dudleys and Big Show are both in this group at this point, as well.

- Folks I think are getting wasted: Dean Ambrose (feels like he could be a Stone Cold-lite), Tyler Breeze (fun, different kind of heel), Becky Lynch (fun, should team up with Bayley from NXT from the sound of it), Bray Wyatt (somehow stays interesting despite constantly losing in important matches), Titus O'Neil (dude looks like he could bench-press a truck).

- New Day is incredible and easily the best thing in each of these shows.

- Why would you make Charlotte a heel? She looks like a goddamn cheerleader and is the daughter of a beloved legend, I'm predisposed to like her, especially in comparison to the Bellas. Why are none of the important female wrestlers allowed to stay a clear face or heel?

- Paige is alright, although apparently she never wins, either. She's like a Wyatt sister in that respect, I guess.

- The clips I've seen of AJ Lee and CM Punk make me wish they were still around, both seem like rock stars compared to the current roster.

- I don't understand why Sasha Banks and Kevin Owens are such fan favorites. I get liking them (they've got some personality and Owens is weirdly athletic), but not to the extent that the crowds seem to love them.

- What am I supposed to think about Roman? It feels like he's supposed to be the new Austin, but there's way too many other things going in (constantly losing, making childish jokes, hanging on to the Shield stuff) that distracts from the anti-authority badass angle. He's got a pretty good look overall, though, and his moves are well-suited to big spots. I did like the show's finish, I just wish it were faster-paced and either Ambrose came out to help him (he's supposed to be a crazy guy, right?) or Triple H brought a few jobbers out with him to get destroyed with the chair, too. Judging from reactions here, though, adult fans are poisoned against him at this point so it doesn't matter what they do.

- The Ascension looks so dumb. I'm assuming they're not ever supposed to win matches. This also applies to the Usos. The luchadores also are never supposed to win matches either, I guess, but they don't look quite as dumb and they're willing to murder themselves to mildly injure their opponents, so I guess that's something. I suppose what I'm saying is that New Day has zero competition for best tag team.

- There are a lot of guys (Adam Rose, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Heath Slater, Neville, Zack Ryder) whom I know literally nothing about despite watching every PPV this year since Wrestlemania.

- Sheamus is a pretty steep downgrade from Seth Rollins. That said, goddamn man.

- Why don't faces ever run out to help each other anymore? Seems like you could easily take one of the fan-favorite midcarders with wrestling ability and push him over by just having him come out to help the good guys getting beat up by a heel stable. Do that for a couple of months and you've got a good thing going.

- Triple H oversold this one.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Stephanie Story should have ended with Rock getting Ronda Rousey to beat the poo poo out of her at Wrestlemania, but now it's too late for that.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Luke Harper is like twice the wrestler Bray is, Charlotte was a good heel in NXT, Owens cuts really good promos and wrestles like a man his weight shouldn't, Ascension were monsters with the NXT tag titles until the debuted on the main roster and made into horrible Road Warrior knockoffs and Sheamus looks stupid (clap clap clapclapclap).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rusev is probably the best seller on the roster. Dude will take an ankle lock from Swagger and be limping around for weeks. He sells people getting out of his finishers like he just found his dog run over.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

surf rock posted:

- I don't understand why Sasha Banks and Kevin Owens are such fan favorites. I get liking them (they've got some personality and Owens is weirdly athletic), but not to the extent that the crowds seem to love them.
Sasha Banks had the best match on the card in like 3 or maybe 4 consecutive NXT PPVs. If you have the network go check out the Takeovers Rival, Unstoppable, Brooklyn, and Respect.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

surf rock posted:

Ever since that Max Landis "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" video rekindled my interest in wrestling for the first time since I was a kid in the '90s, I've been watching PPVs (no Raws, nobody's got time for that) and listening to the #how2wrestling podcast. I think I've got the basic gist of what's happening.

- Folks I think are flat-out boring: Del Rio, Barrett, the non-Bray Wyatts, Rusev, Ryback and Jack Swagger. Sadly, the Dudleys and Big Show are both in this group at this point, as well.

- Folks I think are getting wasted: Dean Ambrose (feels like he could be a Stone Cold-lite), Tyler Breeze (fun, different kind of heel), Becky Lynch (fun, should team up with Bayley from NXT from the sound of it), Bray Wyatt (somehow stays interesting despite constantly losing in important matches), Titus O'Neil (dude looks like he could bench-press a truck).

- New Day is incredible and easily the best thing in each of these shows.

- Why would you make Charlotte a heel? She looks like a goddamn cheerleader and is the daughter of a beloved legend, I'm predisposed to like her, especially in comparison to the Bellas. Why are none of the important female wrestlers allowed to stay a clear face or heel?

- Paige is alright, although apparently she never wins, either. She's like a Wyatt sister in that respect, I guess.

- The clips I've seen of AJ Lee and CM Punk make me wish they were still around, both seem like rock stars compared to the current roster.

- What am I supposed to think about Roman? It feels like he's supposed to be the new Austin, but there's way too many other things going in (constantly losing, making childish jokes, hanging on to the Shield stuff) that distracts from the anti-authority badass angle. He's got a pretty good look overall, though, and his moves are well-suited to big spots. I did like the show's finish, I just wish it were faster-paced and either Ambrose came out to help him (he's supposed to be a crazy guy, right?) or Triple H brought a few jobbers out with him to get destroyed with the chair, too. Judging from reactions here, though, adult fans are poisoned against him at this point so it doesn't matter what they do.

- The Ascension looks so dumb. I'm assuming they're not ever supposed to win matches. This also applies to the Usos. The luchadores also are never supposed to win matches either, I guess, but they don't look quite as dumb and they're willing to murder themselves to mildly injure their opponents, so I guess that's something. I suppose what I'm saying is that New Day has zero competition for best tag team.

- There are a lot of guys (Adam Rose, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Heath Slater, Neville, Zack Ryder) whom I know literally nothing about despite watching every PPV this year since Wrestlemania.

- Sheamus is a pretty steep downgrade from Seth Rollins. That said, goddamn man.

- Why don't faces ever run out to help each other anymore? Seems like you could easily take one of the fan-favorite midcarders with wrestling ability and push him over by just having him come out to help the good guys getting beat up by a heel stable. Do that for a couple of months and you've got a good thing going.

- Triple H oversold this one.

Watch nxt

bartok
May 10, 2006

Havoc904 posted:

I bet Ambrose will either get stripped of his title or get put in some giant match to lose the title tonight as punishment for Reigns.

Probably throw the Usos against all the Wyatts or something as well.

Why are they rewarding the Usos by putting them up against a jobber team they have beaten multiple times?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

DeathChicken posted:

Rusev is probably the best seller on the roster. Dude will take an ankle lock from Swagger and be limping around for weeks. He sells people getting out of his finishers like he just found his dog run over.

Rusev's ring work in general is very under-rated. He works the unstoppable powerhouse style WWE likes for big guys, but he does it in a way that makes it look high impact and scary rather than plodding and slow, and his facial expressions are spot on. He also has the only submission finisher on the roster that looks legit threatening (helps that it's the only submission finisher that is at all protected, I guess).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TheKingslayer posted:

Watching Roman struggle to lift Sheamus above his knees was pretty entertaining. Then commentary having to sell it.

Roman "He Didn't Get All Of It" Reigns

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

surf rock posted:

Counterpoint

Also you're right about AJ and Punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That's a big kid, imo

• Locked thread