Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

My guest co-host Tams is playing Blackthorne while I kick back and shoot the poo poo so I had no actual idea that this was the first game produced by Blizzard Entertainment (under that name), released in 1994 for DOS. I do remember trying this as a kid but I never had it at home so the only thing I remember from the few minutes I've played it is the loving backwards shooting with the shotgun. How cool is that?!

My name's Blint, and Dvid (who is now busy with uni exams) and I are #BADATGAMES from Budapest, Hungary, and we started doing Let's Plays in August. We generally play retro or old(ish) games blind or semi-blind, so mostly laid back gaming here and not much expertise to speak of, haha. We have tons of fun though so stick around if this sort of VLP is up your alley, and check out the rest of our series over on YouTube.

This game looks like a really well done platformer so far. I love all the energy Blizzard put into the details of both the art and the game mechanics; it really shows that they wanted to do something different instead of just milking on producing a platformer which if I recall were at that time already a dime a dozen. I think the execution is right up there with Flashback from what I've seen so far, and watching my brother play that game is one of my best childhood gaming memories so that certainly says a lot.

As for the gameplay itself, I think Tams summed it up quite well when he said it's "Prince of Persia with a loving shotgun." 'Nuff said.

Enjoy this guest series while we take a break from River City Ransom and Duke Nukem 3D!

We'll be uploading new episodes Tuesdays & Saturdays. Thanks for sticking around!

:siren: :synthy: Playlist :siren:

Part 1: DON'T DO DRUGS

Part 2: CURSE THIS TERRIBLE LIFE

Part 3: YOUR SHOTGUN IS SUBPAR

Part 4: OTHER GUYS WITH GUNS

Part 5: YAY 90s RACISM

Part 6: MULTIPLE ASSHOLES

Part 7: CASUALLY ROLLING ABOUT

Part 8: DEGENERATE STRATEGY

Part 9: SPEEDRUN THAT poo poo

Part 10: EXCUSE ME, FRIEND

Part 11: I KINDA SAW THAT COMING

Part 12: THE BLURP AWAKENS

Part 13: gently caress YOU, ONE SPIDER

Part 14: THAT KILLED THE MOOD

Part 15: SO loving INTENSE

:siren: :synthy: Playlist :siren:

ADVENTURE AWAITS!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Dang, waited too long to post this:

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought the backwards shotgun button was the coolest thing ever.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
I know, right? That and orcs are literally the only two things I remembered from my childhood about playing this game for a few minutes. From a game design viewpoint I would maybe even call it useless (at this point in the game anyway). But it's so drat unique the game would be less without it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

When I first played this game, I was experimentally figuring out the controls by just pushing buttons. So I simultaneously learned that you can shoot behind you and kill captives. It was one of the highlights of my life.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
UNNNNG

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Oh dang! I remember playing this game while on a class field trip to Chicago, and thinking about how INCREDIBLY HARDCORE it was. PRISONER EXECUTION. Looking forward to this!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I like to think that guy slipped a hover bomb into the orc's rations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Super excited to see a Blackthorne LP, just a couple things:
1) The game actually came out a month after Warcraft and the actual proto-orcs are Warhammer orcs, but that's just a nitpick. However,
2) please, please Please don't read the dialogue out loud, it's annoying as gently caress.

Anyway, good luck with the later levels, this gets both really repetitive an really hard.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

1) The game actually came out a month after Warcraft

The SNES version came out in September of 1994, so, no.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, there I go for trusting the official Blizzard timeline.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...

anilEhilated posted:

2) please, please Please don't read the dialogue out loud, it's annoying as gently caress.
I dunno, Psych handled it pretty well back in whatever 90 years ago he did his LP.

Looking forward to this LP btw. A lot of people think this game is bro-level badass and dope and all that other nonsense, but overall I find it silly as heck, and to me, that's a good thing.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Wierd thing is, this game somehow got me interested in Mutant Chronicles.

I still have no idea how that happened. I think it was the Orcs.

It's always the Orcs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
please feel free to read all the UNNNGs out loud

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

CirclMastr posted:

When I first played this game, I was experimentally figuring out the controls by just pushing buttons. So I simultaneously learned that you can shoot behind you and kill captives. It was one of the highlights of my life.
I really think you should go out more :ohdear: J/k that poo poo's bomb

anilEhilated posted:

:tipshat: Sorry, we have a bunch of episodes pre-recorded with dialogue already

Glad to see there's interest for this game over here. I'm super psyched for the next recording session so I can drink more beers while Tams gets owned! :woop:

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
In this episode: Tams pledges not to kill any civilians. Will we make it? :aaaaa:

Part 2: CURSE THIS TERRIBLE LIFE

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Not sure if it's the brightness on your TV/monitor, but the waterfalls you can go through have a darker, door-ish shape in them:

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Lizard Wizard posted:

Not sure if it's the brightness on your TV/monitor, but the waterfalls you can go through have a darker, door-ish shape in them:

Yep I actually spotted those during editing when I was actually sitting close to the screen. I'm thinking that contrast difference must have been way more apparent on CRTs because of the glowiness.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 3: YOUR SHOTGUN IS SUBPAR

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 4: OTHER GUYS WITH GUNS

Happy New Year, and thank you to everyone who's been following so far!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Put Blackthorne in Heroes of the Storm. His ultimate abilities are going UNGGGG or shooting a shotgun backwards.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
New episode!

Part 5: YAY 90s RACISM

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Oh hey! Tams got a lil sick so we had to postpone our recording session originally scheduled for two weeks ago, but now we're back in the saddle and ready to kick some more orc butt. The Androthi will rise again!

Part 6: MULTIPLE ASSHOLES

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Oh hey, another new episode! :hellyeah: Expect new videos Tuesdays and Saturdays!

Part 7: CASUALLY ROLLING ABOUT

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sorry for your tables, phoneposters, but I'm not timg'ing this.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Sorry for your tables, phoneposters, but I'm not timg'ing this.
Hahahah, oh you beautiful bastard. See if you can find the other priceless GIF moment in Part 7.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

crab avatar posted:

Hahahah, oh you beautiful bastard. See if you can find the other priceless GIF moment in Part 7.
I'll definitely give it a once over when I get home and I'll poop out a webm to be up to date with the times. Been enjoying watching this and it's nice to hear more accents playing this game since the last time I watched an LP of this was Pysch Eyeball.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Update 7 was great because it went from success:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/AntiqueDistantCock.webm

to slowly worse:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/LastingFancyBonobo.webm

to ummmmm a quick fall off into being bad at games:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/FarDifficultHammerheadshark.webm

p.s. thank you, friend

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 20, 2016

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Perfect. This is what we're all here for. Horrible gameplay <3

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 8: DEGENERATE STRATEGY

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 9: SPEEDRUN THAT poo poo

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Heyyyy guess who forgot to post #10 last Saturday. Here's a double episode day then!

Part 10: EXCUSE ME, FRIEND

Part 11: I KINDA SAW THAT COMING

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 12: THE BLURP AWAKENS

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 13: gently caress YOU, ONE SPIDER

Seriously though, does anyone else feel that rolling in and out of the screen to defeat an enemy is scummy? Something about the screen change that feels like it's an exploit, like it's breaking the forth wall or something. I can totally get behind the walking from one side to the other past the enemy while he's hiding tactic though.

*cough* This is totally not coming from someone who openly exploits a huge bug in River City Ransom to completely dodge a major punishment mechanic.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
I certainly have a hard time letting that exploit go BECAUSE IT'S CLEARLY AN EXPLOIT, DUH

Part 14: THAT KILLED THE MOOD

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
This was one of the first games I got on my SNES as a kid, and I love it to this day. I blew through this whole thread today while nursing a hangover and had a great time, thank you chaps. Keep up the good work.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Montalvo posted:

This was one of the first games I got on my SNES as a kid, and I love it to this day. I blew through this whole thread today while nursing a hangover and had a great time, thank you chaps. Keep up the good work.
You're the reason we do this. <3 Thank you so much!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The thing that doesn't detonate is a 'dud'. Also I vote you keep using the exploit, because watching you fight the enemy fairly is boring.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

To be quite honest, I feel like this strategy works out better for you guys
https://zippy.gfycat.com/HollowEsteemedArcticduck.webm

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

CirclMastr posted:

The thing that doesn't detonate is a 'dud'. Also I vote you keep using the exploit, because watching you fight the enemy fairly is boring.

Niggurath posted:

To be quite honest, I feel like this strategy works out better for you guys
https://zippy.gfycat.com/HollowEsteemedArcticduck.webm
I feel much better about this approach than the screen changing thing.

This latest episode turned out to be quite the nail biter by the end, gaddamn.

Part 15: SO loving INTENSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Thank you everyone for following the series so far unfortunately due to scheduling difficulties we won't have any new episodes for some time.

In case you want to get notified when we're able to upload more vids, it would be a good idea to subscribe over on YouTube and bookmark this thread. In the meantime you might enjoy our other series on there. Cheers!

• Locked thread