Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

does anyone watch it? it's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows
i dunno, i kinda think it is not poo poo. first season was better than whats run of the second tho

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm enjoying it a lot, personally. The Rashomon structure is dope.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I love the relationships of the characters. When the scope doesn't go further beyond that it's a great show. The shoehorned murder mystery poo poo drags it down a bit for me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Strong :effortless: thread

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

yardblog posted:

I love the relationships of the characters. When the scope doesn't go further beyond that it's a great show. The shoehorned murder mystery poo poo drags it down a bit for me.

I feel like the mystery stuff is really only for the background anyways, and just a thing for the characters to react to.

It kind of reminds me of Twin Peaks in some ways, but if the Laura Palmer plotline was even less of a focus even in that first season than it already was.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I feel like the mystery stuff is really only for the background anyways, and just a thing for the characters to react to.

It kind of reminds me of Twin Peaks in some ways, but if the Laura Palmer plotline was even less of a focus even in that first season than it already was.

I can't think of any show less like twin peaks than the affair

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I can't think of any show less like twin peaks than the affair

I'd say they probably have more in common than they don't, however the few things they don't have in common are pretty huge.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I'd say they probably have more in common than they don't, however the few things they don't have in common are pretty huge.

other than broad plot stuff (murder mystery, seedy small town) they are nothing alike IMO.

it's kind of like saying the wire and law and order are similar shows because detectives investigate crimes

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Are we supposed to like and root for anyone on this show other than Helen and maybe Max? I don't think it's possible to want a good outcome for Noah at this point, and Alison is hard to root for 70% of the time as well.

Like Homeland, I think this show is mostly bad but usually puts just enough effort into the last couple episodes of the season to keep you interested.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are we supposed to like and root for anyone on this show other than Helen and maybe Max? I don't think it's possible to want a good outcome for Noah at this point, and Alison is hard to root for 70% of the time as well.

Like Homeland, I think this show is mostly bad but usually puts just enough effort into the last couple episodes of the season to keep you interested.

maura teirney is pretty much the only reason to watch the show.

and yeah it's typical showtime poo poo, promising premise and cast and it just turns into a dumb soap opera

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
This is a bad thread for a good show.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm watching the newest episode and guess what: it's still mostly poo poo

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Oh wow Maura tierney ran over that guy. Well who gives a poo poo

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Like there are worse shows but imo if you think this is good you should be dead

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Like there are worse shows but imo if you think this is good you should be dead

The show is good because it gives Pacey a paycheck.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

maura teirney is pretty much the only reason to watch the show.

and yeah it's typical showtime poo poo, promising premise and cast and it just turns into a dumb soap opera

The show definitely got better once Maura Tierney and Joshua Jackson started getting more attention.

Season 2 started getting pretty compelling around midseason (once Noah hit it big, I think) but definitely tailed off into soap opera territory afterward. It would be interesting to see how the show would function without the murder mystery subplot and trite soap opera maneuvering. The show has its strengths, but its frustrating to watch it inch along and rely on gimmicks.

One of my biggest personal gripes with the show is that I just cannot see the appeal of Allison. I don't want to lay the blame entirely on Ruth Wilson, because its impressive the way she nails the nuances between Allison as portrayed in her own storyline vs in those of the others. My beef is mostly with the believability of this character that puts all these male characters under her spell, but doesn't really radiate much in terms of magnetism/charisma/sensuality.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I'm watching the newest episode and guess what: it's still mostly poo poo

Sometimes the differences between the accounts of the same event is a compelling enough gimmick to get you through the hour but I don't understand how Noah could forget Scotty singing that song, or how Alison could've invented it from whole cloth.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Vernacular posted:

The show definitely got better once Maura Tierney and Joshua Jackson started getting more attention.

Season 2 started getting pretty compelling around midseason (once Noah hit it big, I think) but definitely tailed off into soap opera territory afterward. It would be interesting to see how the show would function without the murder mystery subplot and trite soap opera maneuvering. The show has its strengths, but its frustrating to watch it inch along and rely on gimmicks.

One of my biggest personal gripes with the show is that I just cannot see the appeal of Allison. I don't want to lay the blame entirely on Ruth Wilson, because its impressive the way she nails the nuances between Allison as portrayed in her own storyline vs in those of the others. My beef is mostly with the believability of this character that puts all these male characters under her spell, but doesn't really radiate much in terms of magnetism/charisma/sensuality.

Your point about Allison is an excellent one. There is absolutely nothing compelling or interesting about that character.

I don't actually hate the show as much as I have implied in earlier posts because I would be crazy if I watched a show I really hated. Your post pretty much sums up how I feel about it overall.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sometimes the differences between the accounts of the same event is a compelling enough gimmick to get you through the hour but I don't understand how Noah could forget Scotty singing that song, or how Alison could've invented it from whole cloth.

Did they imply he forgot about it or did they just skip that part in his story?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The Rashomon style of telling a story in a TV show could be so great but this show executes it for poo poo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Did they imply he forgot about it or did they just skip that part in his story?

Both accounts feature the moment she told him that the baby isn't his, and both accounts are completely different. In Noah's, she runs away from the wedding, he pursues her, and she tells him. In hers, they're inside the Lobster Roll, listening to Scotty sing, and she tells him there. I'm pretty sure they take place at entirely different times of day as well.

Like it's one thing where, in this same episode, he remembers her dress as being solid yellow while in hers it's white with yellow flowers, but I can't recall another time when they've described the same key event that is SO different in each account.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

SlipkPIe posted:

The Rashomon style of telling a story in a TV show could be so great but this show executes it for poo poo

I don't think they did a great job of it in S2 as others have mentioned.

First season was better IMO, up until the last 2-3 episodes where it got too soap-opera melodramatic. More of the small scale repercussions of the affair and less of the lovely murder mystery/court drama and burning down of houses with moonshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I actually think this season is better in some ways because there's more of a focus on the peripheral characters, all of whom are more interesting than Noah and Alison (except for Noah's lovely children), but it's also a hell of a lot clumsier so it's kind of a wash.

• Locked thread