Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I would if I brought any to this god forsaken country. this is the only notebook I have.

I have a pretty detailed map of the first floor of wizardry vi, but the dungeon is so confusing in that game and I gave up. I want to go back to it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I need a mod to put the pc engine soundtrack into Ys II chronicles. it's so good

There's one for that I found for Ys I but not II.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Slur posted:

Aren't they already in there by default?

The PC-88 soundtrack is there, but the CD audio soundtrack from the PC Engine/TurboGrafx version is not. Here's what it sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4l4KtzXNUA

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm in the final dungeon of Ys VI now. The weapons in this game are great. Instead of magic bracelets you have three magic swords that have their own mp bars that charge over time and while you hit enemies. You can unleash a powerful magic attack whenever the bar for each weapon is full. Unlike Oath, you don't hold down a button to charge up magic. Also unlike Oath, the swords don't obsolete each other and you'll be using all 3 for the whole game. Every sword has a 3 hit combo, but they all have unique mechanics beyond that.

Wind: At the end of the 3-combo, Adol starts a whirlwind combo attack and if you time your button presses right you can attack up to 5 more times.
Fire: Every hit of the 3-combo can be charged to create a shockwave that hits multiple times if the tip of it hits an enemy.
Lightning: Adol builds up a static charge as he attacks, and once its built up enough he automatically does a lightning shoulder charge attack.

Ys VI is really fun to play. I'm definitely a fan.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Ys VI penultimate final boss song is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzfodAERwuU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I beat Ys VI. I don't want to say goodbye to Adol but up next is Origin.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Already started Ys Origin. I changed my mind about the intro cutscene being too long, this game is epic after playing Ys I+II.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

tfw you use all your healing items on a scripted death fight

I'll never know this feel as healing items are against the law in action games.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yunica's knighthood song :lol:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I played around with Toal for a bit on hard and decided that I'm going to play nightmare with him instead. wish me luck. I also saved over my yunica file, oops

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

tfw you destroy every single piece of the centipede's armor as Toal in one cycle before he even starts rolling around on nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdKB-6ueD4o

got a gamer high right now

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Loving all these new human bosses for Toal mode. I didn't expect Shion to be such a badass mage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Rad. Here's what happened on my first try at beating the centipede the other day.

holy poo poo that is a lot of SP, I barely have 3000 and I'm about to fight the Construct. I guess you get more with lower difficulties unless you're also on nightmare

Also... giant demonic fire tornado that has the guard properties of earth magic... I am in love.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 5, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I think the reason I like these games so much is that 90% of the time during boss fights I end up getting hit a ton and having 1 hit left for like half the fight, then suddenly I enter a zen state where nothing can hit me.

I hope Seven and Celceta give me the same kinds of heart pumping boss battles.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

ys games taught me all i want is a game that is nothing but badass bosses with cool patterns and kickass music!! yeah!!!

fyi you do unlock Toal after just Yunica in Ys Origin and he's extremely fun. I've already fought like 4 new bosses and it seems like he fights all of the great giant bosses. I'm on the sandworm now though and don't know what to do without Yunica's phoenix.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

this god drat sandworm

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

it's fine as yunica since you can hit all of the stars at once, toal has no ranged moves so he has to focus on each on separately and I just learned that not only do the stars heal the boss but new ones pop up if you don't kill the old ones fast enough.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I did it. The key was that it seems like the healing doesn't really matter all that much, you just need to get him to his vulnerable state when there are 6 stars in the arena. maybe I'm wrong

also a lot of boost mode to kill the stars.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Slur posted:

It's weak to fire magic.

haven't gotten the hang of Toal's fire magic yet, thunder has been my go to for damage so far.

also the mantis was fun with him.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I figured out why my SP is so low.

Those big crystals are worth 500 on hard mode. on nightmare they're only worth 1.

so if you ever play nightmare do not buy the get more sp ability and instead use the sp that you get from chests on something useful. I doubt I'll even be able to upgrade my final armor much less get faster boost and skill charge.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

there's no Ys on 3DS so I'm making do with this.

the bosses in lbw actually do kind of feel like ys bosses when you only have 3 hearts and don't upgrade your sword/armor/items and never pick up a shield.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Triforce Heroes bosses also feel like Ys bosses, in the games where you have party members, except instead of having good AI, everyone else on your team is programmed to walk into every attack and your health is shared so you continually fail all the bosses through no fault of your own :grin:

sounds epic, that's definitely on my list for February.

The final boss of LBW is incredibly hard when you die in 1 hit and have to hit it 64 times to move it in to phase 2. Then in phase 2 you play tennis and if your timing is off the ball smacks right in to your face for an instakill.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My PSTV is here. It's Ys time baby.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

What mode are you playing on?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

i tried playingmore of this but i keep dying in the mountain. i havent played another ys game like this where by just travelling from story point to story point and killing everything i can, i am severely underleveled or maybe dont have the required equipment to fight enemy types and its kind of annoying. is the whole game like this?

on catastrophe mode I think you get some items in chests that sell for a ton. if you have those you can get the best stuff from the shop right away.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

why use a map when you can make one!

nice. I did the same thing but i can't find the pic

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I finished Ys VI. The last half of the game was super underwhelming but that's probably because I was playing on a normal. A lot of backtracking and lots and lots of text before you fight a cool boss and then te lamest final boss in all of Ys. A solid game but one I probably will never replay.

Thinking about booting up Origin to finally play the other character.

man I really enjoyed the final sequence but I was playing on hard. this song is so drat awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzfodAERwuU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

The music is cool but the boss is super non-threatening. You're just waiting for the little crystal holes to rotate past you every couple seconds

That song's for the other guy, the one with the fairies. Though I definitely did die on the real final boss a few times on hard mode.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

40 to 60 hours? :dogbutton:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

All the early Ys games have that problem yeah

Ys I and II do not. At least the versions I played didn't.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

i played Ys I on steam and it definitely had that problem. the first boss went from needing about a hundred hits to kill to 5 after i leveled up a few times

Well it doesn't take an hour to level in ys I at least. The enemies right before darm tower give tons of xp.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I've thought about diving down the insane rabbit hole and trying to play every version of every Ys game ever, and now that I'm unemployed and living in my moms basement hell, what better time to start.

I tried playing SNES ys III and I fell asleep

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Unbelievable.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

origuin has super samey environments and a lot of teh bosses are fcuking bulllshit like that weird plant monster you fight in quicksand that are boring/annoying to fight oath has cool stuff like the knight in valestein castle the 3 harpies (best bossfight in either game) both chester fights, the tank the nun

origin has the worm, the circle lava guy... the witch with the statues...
the rest waws bad!!!
also oath had better boss music and memorable tunes in general

theyre both really erally good games though but gently caress palying origin as the huge fact

Origin has the better final boss. imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RIP Transfarring

• Locked thread