Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

fiber posted:

i love all the ys games but i wish they'd dump the party member bullshit they've been doing for the last couple. adol is a solitary gamer who fights alone

The party system is fine, 'cause Falcom knows how to program drat good AI.

I'm surprised Ys is even getting another entry in its franchise. I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

fiber posted:

xanadu next was also on pc (the ngage was more of a stripped down port). it's also really good and has a translation patch available

It's coming to Steam next year.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Falcom are just a good company in general, and are criminally underrated.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In fact, everyone should own a Vita just to play Celceta.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

And a Sega CD for Popful Mail.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

fadam posted:

Just beat the first dungeon in OIF and this game is dynamite.

Am I going to have to go out of my way to fill out this character log thing? Stuff like that always triggers me if I miss the one opportunity to get an entry or w/e.

The only missables occur after the second dungeon and the third dungeon. They're not character related.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Waiting on Ys VIII is excruciating.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

Elk is awesome.

He gets outclassed pretty hard at the end of the game, and ends out as the worst party member, unfortunately.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

Thanks In Training

You're a lucky guy. I hope you have fun with the game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

Tomorrow is a 4 pack of mystery games, Ys related. Wonder what the bundle could be...?

The Legend of Heroes, probably.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

One hour folks. Anybody wanna change their guesses?

I'm pretty fine with mine. Thanks though.

Also, thank you for doing this event. It is generous and good.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

My tip for nightmare runs of any Ys game is that one level makes a drastic difference between victory and death. It's kind of shocking how much a single level can do for you in the series.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training's love of Ys is why I respect In Training.

Seriously though, after beating all the XSEED-published Ys games on nightmare, what should I go do now? I need more Ys, and I do not want to wait on Ys VIII.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Did you beat Origin with all the characters?

On nightmare with all 3? Yeah.

Doing Nightmare Boss Rush on the games wasn't worth it at the end of the day, except for Felghana, where if you do beat it, you get a hidden boss, and if you beat him, you unlock debug mode

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

About to pull the trigger on one then. I'm going to need a vita memory card right?

The system itself has 1 GB of internal memory. If you're going purely physical games, then you're fine. However, if you want an expansive PSP library, as well as some digital games, then you're going to have to pay up for a memory card.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

So, have any of you played any other Falcom titles recently? I'm making my way through Popful Mail and Trails of Cold Steel.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm playing Celceta on hard right now and I'm stuck at the fish boss and I think I'm really underleveled. My only option are to endlessly retry or to load my save game from 4+ hours ago :negative:

My biggest advice on handling him, as well as later bosses, is to get used to using the touch screen to change your partners' AI patterns. Swiping inwards switches them to a defensive mode, where they follow you around actively and don't attack. Swiping outwards switches them back to an offensive mode, where they attack whatever is in front of them relentlessly, and use skills generally whenever you do.

As well, remember that you cannot take an AI out of the defensive stance when they're at 1 HP.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I'd never heard of these games until this thread so I picked up Oath and Origin during the steam sale. I plowed through Oath over the past week and it was amazing. Every single boss except maybe one or two gave me a serious challenge. I think the hardest boss for me was that one long fire dragon because for some reason I couldn't get the hang of jumping over him when he was on fire.

Last night I started Origin and at first I thought it was way, way easier since I got through the first 3 bosses without dying a single time. Now I'm stuck on the giant centipede. He's seriously kicking my rear end.

Thanks for making this thread, I had no idea what I was missing out on.

A tip for the centipede is to not worry too much about the poison orbs he drops when his sections come off. Just focus on attacking him, and only attack the orbs around you if they're in the way. Good luck, fellow goon.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

2 bosses down in Valestein Castle and I think yellow is my new favorite magic. Green was definitely my favorite in my first playthrough but yellow is so drat satisfying to use. I need to find the battle sword...

On nightmare, you will soon realize that earth magic is busted as all hell.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I personally enjoyed playing as Hugo and found both his gameplay and story to be better than Yunica's.

3rd character is the reason Ys Origin stands as one of my face Ys games though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

The fact that you're doing this at all makes me respect you that much more, Evil Eagle.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Jerkops posted:

haha awesome

looking forward to getting started with Origins, but who knows when that's going to happen

Immediately, because this thread demands tribute.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I need a mod to put the pc engine soundtrack into Ys II chronicles. it's so good

There's one for that I found for Ys I but not II.

Aren't they already in there by default?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

ArfJason posted:

As muchas i like them, ys games have the most typical stories and characters ever. I mean sometimes you dont want some grandiose overcomplicated bullshit but like the plot device in origins is an evil orb called the black pearl

7 has a good plot twist, if you're looking for something slightly less conventional.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I beat Origin last night. The final boss was really cool, I liked it better than Oath's. Overall I think Oath was better, but Origin did a lot of different and cool things with its bosses, particularly all the giant ones. The Epona and Kishgal fights were pale imitations of Oath's humanoid bosses though, with Epona in particular being extremely similar to Chester but way way easier.

I'm actually gonna just go ahead and do the other two routes of this game before going on to Ys I and II. Currently trying to blitz through Hugo on an easy difficulty. He's definitely not that fun. His magic shooting attack is pretty boring and his first skill is just a shield that isn't even useful for doing damage.

There's a true final boss you haven't faced yet.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I'll never know this feel as healing items are against the law in action games.

Hardcore.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

Ys seven has the exact same problem I had with memories and it was the only problem I had and it's that the end forces you to use every character but I only used the same three people all game so now I have to fight the final boss with turds

That's kind of your fault for not predicting that.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

In Seven you're limited as to how many you can carry based on the difficulty you're on which is a neat choice

I only played on Nightmare, so what's the difference on the lower difficulties?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

tfw you destroy every single piece of the centipede's armor as Toal in one cycle before he even starts rolling around on nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdKB-6ueD4o

got a gamer high right now

I'm glad that you are getting good at this franchise

I'm kind of disappointed Ys vs Sora no Kiseki never came out over here. It's apparently Ys Seven's combat system made PVP.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

That sounds kinda badass. Just spamming dodges and trying to land charge strikes before dropping special attack bombs would be cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgvJ5aedc8

Spoilers for Trails in the Sky inside, but there's the gameplay. Up to 4 players.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I did it. The key was that it seems like the healing doesn't really matter all that much, you just need to get him to his vulnerable state when there are 6 stars in the arena. maybe I'm wrong

also a lot of boost mode to kill the stars.

It's weak to fire magic.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I beat Origin with Toal. That was insanely epic.

I guess you can say it was good for a matter of Fact.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

there's no Ys on 3DS so I'm making do with this.

the bosses in lbw actually do kind of feel like ys bosses when you only have 3 hearts and don't upgrade your sword/armor/items and never pick up a shield.

Oh, so that's how you make albw an actually tolerable game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-details-dana-dual-protagonists

Bump. Ys 8 has two protagonists and two worlds. you control adol in the real world, and Dana in the dream world inside Adol's head. Badass

Okay that's awesome.

• Locked thread