Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

ArfJason posted:

I never said i wanted super complicated bullshit, just not something so... bland, by the numbers... dont get me wrong i love the games and gameplay comes first but i was expecting a longstanding series to niot be so rote
Complex is not the same as fresh! You can be simple and inventive!

ya that's true. maybe 8 will bring some changes, even 7 kinda did. but you'd need a modern handheld -_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the dragon battles in 7 are awesome

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Regy Rusty posted:

I beat Origin last night. The final boss was really cool, I liked it better than Oath's. Overall I think Oath was better, but Origin did a lot of different and cool things with its bosses, particularly all the giant ones. The Epona and Kishgal fights were pale imitations of Oath's humanoid bosses though, with Epona in particular being extremely similar to Chester but way way easier.

I'm actually gonna just go ahead and do the other two routes of this game before going on to Ys I and II. Currently trying to blitz through Hugo on an easy difficulty. He's definitely not that fun. His magic shooting attack is pretty boring and his first skill is just a shield that isn't even useful for doing damage.

There's a true final boss you haven't faced yet.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i don't mind the story line becing simple, but what i do mind is that origin and oath and 1+2 have 10 minute expositions at the beigging where i'm not murking dudes or ramming my sword for ants at them.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
origin takes such a long fuckin time to start yea

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i need all videogames to allow me to start murking immediatly like in super mario brothers and doom. i have a job! i haven't got time for this exposition i'm not going to read!!!!!!!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Ys VI penultimate final boss song is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzfodAERwuU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I beat Ys VI. I don't want to say goodbye to Adol but up next is Origin.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Already started Ys Origin. I changed my mind about the intro cutscene being too long, this game is epic after playing Ys I+II.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

Ys VI is really fun to play. I'm definitely a fan.
Sounds really cool and different.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I beat Ys VI. I don't want to say goodbye to Adol but up next is Origin.

Adol and friends are back in full force in Seven, it won't be long now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm about to fight the moon dragon and I assume there will be one more dungeon + boss left...this game is awesome, I think I like it more than memories, although I probably should have played on Hard rather than Normal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tfw you use all your healing items on a scripted death fight

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

gently caress

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I'll never know this feel as healing items are against the law in action games.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

Hardcore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys seven has the exact same problem I had with memories and it was the only problem I had and it's that the end forces you to use every character but I only used the same three people all game so now I have to fight the final boss with turds

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

Ys seven has the exact same problem I had with memories and it was the only problem I had and it's that the end forces you to use every character but I only used the same three people all game so now I have to fight the final boss with turds

That's kind of your fault for not predicting that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slur posted:

That's kind of your fault for not predicting that.

It happens to me in every game where I can choose a party. It's frustrating to feel punished for wanting to play the characters I have the most fun with

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just lost myself in this game for like 12 hours...lol. The final boss was loving awesome ! Especially the final phase where all of a sudden it's a classic Adol-only style Ys boss.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

The PC-88 soundtrack is there, but the CD audio soundtrack from the PC Engine/TurboGrafx version is not. Here's what it sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4l4KtzXNUA

These games have badass soundtracks.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

they are allowed, in my opinion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Seven you're limited as to how many you can carry based on the difficulty you're on which is a neat choice

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

In Seven you're limited as to how many you can carry based on the difficulty you're on which is a neat choice

I only played on Nightmare, so what's the difference on the lower difficulties?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slur posted:

I only played on Nightmare, so what's the difference on the lower difficulties?

5 healing items on hand vs 3 on hard/nightmare from what i can tell.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yunica's knighthood song :lol:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat the third route of Ys Origin today. The True Final Boss blew me away. Third route is definitely worth doing, it's got a huge amount of differences from the other two and a bunch of fun new bosses.

I really wish they'd made Hugo's route more distinct from Yunica's. He's really only got one boss that she doesn't fight in some form.

Also I wish they'd made Hugo actually fun to play.

Up next - Ys I

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Up next - Ys I
i hope you like bumping! and cool music!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I played around with Toal for a bit on hard and decided that I'm going to play nightmare with him instead. wish me luck. I also saved over my yunica file, oops

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

tfw you destroy every single piece of the centipede's armor as Toal in one cycle before he even starts rolling around on nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdKB-6ueD4o

got a gamer high right now

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

tfw you destroy every single piece of the centipede's armor as Toal in one cycle before he even starts rolling around on nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdKB-6ueD4o

got a gamer high right now

I'm glad that you are getting good at this franchise

I'm kind of disappointed Ys vs Sora no Kiseki never came out over here. It's apparently Ys Seven's combat system made PVP.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That sounds kinda badass. Just spamming dodges and trying to land charge strikes before dropping special attack bombs would be cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dogi's the name, wall crushing's my game!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Loving all these new human bosses for Toal mode. I didn't expect Shion to be such a badass mage.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

That sounds kinda badass. Just spamming dodges and trying to land charge strikes before dropping special attack bombs would be cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgvJ5aedc8

Spoilers for Trails in the Sky inside, but there's the gameplay. Up to 4 players.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hugo's route in Origin helped me solve what would probably have otherwise been a really obtuse puzzle in Ys 1. I guess it was worth it after all.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

Rad. Here's what happened on my first try at beating the centipede the other day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Rad. Here's what happened on my first try at beating the centipede the other day.

:negative:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

holy poo poo that is a lot of SP, I barely have 3000 and I'm about to fight the Construct. I guess you get more with lower difficulties unless you're also on nightmare

Also... giant demonic fire tornado that has the guard properties of earth magic... I am in love.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I think the reason I like these games so much is that 90% of the time during boss fights I end up getting hit a ton and having 1 hit left for like half the fight, then suddenly I enter a zen state where nothing can hit me.

I hope Seven and Celceta give me the same kinds of heart pumping boss battles.

• Locked thread