Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
hear me out on this idea

if you lived in a medium sized house and had a decent box that happened to have at least four hdmi ports and at least twelve usb ports, would it be possible and/or dope to do the following: have a separate monitor, keyboard and a usb connector (for file transfers) for each of four rooms in the house, via very loving long extension cables.

like no vnc or poo poo like that, just a straight up connection. it's like that computer would become one with the house and you can do the exact same normal stuff on this computer in four rooms of the place.

a computer house, so to speak

so is it possible or dope af to do this?

That Robot fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I think house md but with computers as patients would be a better idea hth

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

what kind of shitlord house only has four rooms?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
get an ipad you doofus

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
No idea why you'd want to do this, but yes it's doable.

You'd need active repeaters for the USB side of it. The display side may or may not need repeaters.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

That Robot posted:

hear me out on this idea

if you lived in a medium sized house and had a decent box that happened to have at least four hdmi ports and at least twelve usb ports, would it be possible and/or dope to do the following: have a separate monitor, keyboard and a usb connector (for file transfers) for each of four rooms in the house, via very loving long extension cables.

like no vnc or poo poo like that, just a straight up connection. it's like that computer would become one with the house and you can do the exact same normal stuff on this computer in four rooms of the place.

a computer house, so to speak

so is it possible or dope af to do this?

this sounds epic and its not only possible, it's now my dream.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Sweevo posted:

what kind of shitlord house only has four rooms?

not like it only has four rooms but for the purposes of the thread we are only dealing with four rooms in the computer house

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Thin clients.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Realchat though it's legit useful to have your computer in one room but pipe the display and a usb port to anywhere you might want to watch media / play video games

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Noun Verber posted:

Thin clients.

but those would be separate sessions!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

Realchat though it's legit useful to have your computer in one room but pipe the display and a usb port to anywhere you might want to watch media / play video games

:frog:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ShadowHawk posted:

i have my epic gaming rig in the living room because no loving bitch is going to take my cock off my balls and tell me where i can i can't game. :thurman:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shadow hawk lives in a group living 'arrangement' so he needs to be able to take his computer into the bathroom for his hourly j/o sesh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
cat 5 jack up in the outhouse

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
toilet mounted to wall of outhouse :stare:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
LOMARF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

shadow hawk lives in a group living 'arrangement' so he needs to be able to take his computer into the bathroom for his hourly j/o sesh

lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Smythe posted:

LOMARF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA!

:chome:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yoloer420 posted:

No idea why you'd want to do this, but yes it's doable.

You'd need active repeaters for the USB side of it. The display side may or may not need repeaters.

if it's over hd15 it's going to look like fried rear end and long, shielded hdmi cables are expensive

maybe hdmi over ethernet?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wtf when did shadowhawk come back

wb!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
he never left

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

disney channel is way ahead of you op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZktzLbnen8M

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
having a large screen in every room of your house is futuristic, but also retro

pram
Jun 10, 2001

incredibly gratuitous dance scene

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

pram posted:

incredibly gratuitous dance scene

you mean incredibly bad butt dance scene

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Tankakern posted:

wtf when did shadowhawk come back

wb!

Thank you it's nice to be recognized for something other than shirking my Ubuntu duties for months on end.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lol if you have a living room, you only need one room: the computer room

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
computeroom

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wouldnt it be simpler just to use hdmi and usb splitters instead of having all those ports on the computer? then use hdmi over ethernet and usb over ethernet adapters so you don't have to worry about length limitations and just run the cat5e cable to all the rooms you need

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

wouldnt it be simpler just to use hdmi and usb splitters instead of having all those ports on the computer? then use hdmi over ethernet and usb over ethernet adapters so you don't have to worry about length limitations and just run the cat5e cable to all the rooms you need

That would be sensible yes.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i want to live in a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

disney channel is an evil institution, full of luddites

• Locked thread