Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Haa haa, not really.
My camera got dropped, (D7000) it landed on the lense (Nikkor 3.5 FX af-s 28-300 VR ED). I had a clear filter on the front, and the clear filter took the brunt of the fall - glass shattered, ring is bent. I can't get the ring from the clear filter off.
Lense and camera seem otherwise unaffected, but the zoom action feels slightly tighter (feels like new instead of 4 years old).
Nikon USA website estimates $375 for repairs.
I'm kind of stumped at what I should do. $375 will buy more than half of a newer DX af-s 18-300 VR ED, and it's also just an estimate of the repair.
Has anyone had good luck getting lenses worked on from Nikon? This is not a pro lense, just an expensive amateur lense.
I paid right at 1000 when I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
More like an overpriced piece of poo poo lens that you paid far to much money for.

Get the newer 18-300 as its newer engineering. Better yet, dont bother with a jack of all trades ken rockwell lens, get some Good Glass.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
gently caress I'm having flashbacks to working in camera sales.
If the lens is fine and you still want your lovely super zoom then almost certainly the filter has just skipped the thread on the filter ring. You can just try and brute force it out. Couple of things to try:
-Those jar opener pads that old people use. Place the lens filter down in it and twist.
-Car oil filter wrench.
You just need a shitload of torque to pull the fucker off. Since your pudgy man child hands are too maladroit to hold onto a camera they have no chance of getting enough grip to sheer the filter off. You can also try gently heating or cooling the filter ring to get thermal expansion/contraction on your side.
If that fails you can, and should try and hacksaw the fucker off. This may seem extreme but really you're just sawing through a few mil of soft aluminium. There are youtube videos out there of the procedure and I'm too lazy to link.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Haa. Yeah actually my non-pudgy actual man hands were only involved in not zipping the camera bag. Wife grabbed bag from car, camera dumped out onto concrete. I take KR with a grain of salt, I like the reviews on lense rentals and dpreview more.
I've actually quite enjoyed the lense, and loved the versatility (don't love the weight that much though).
I am going to cut the ring off with a dremel, thanks for that suggestion - after making something to protect the front element.
Torque will not work - I Am pretty sure the thread on the front of the lense is crushed along with the filter thread.
I'll learn how to add pics to my post when I update with results.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

what's a "lense"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

what's a "lense"

say it out loud

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.