Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

It's that time of year again.

Time to go see the family, try our best to limit conversations as much as possible, and extort our family members for gifts and food.

What a wonderful time of the year.

Let's waste it by arguing about how to stat up Gandolf in D&D or whether Drizzit can be good and a drow or whatever D&D people talk about nowadays!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Gandalf would be impossible to stat up without a custom celestial template indicating his divine status, god this is like baby-level LOTR rules

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Unrelated to TG, but has anyone seen Galavant? Looks like a really funny show from what I've seen and I think a lot of people here would like the show.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Planning an Xmas themed adventure based around turning Santa's abandoned workshop into a dungeon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

Planning an Xmas themed adventure based around turning Santa's abandoned workshop into a dungeon.

What system? Also, I wouldn't be surprised if that's been done before. Not that that should stop you, it's just a thought.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Covok posted:

What system? Also, I wouldn't be surprised if that's been done before. Not that that should stop you, it's just a thought.

5th edition. And yeah, it's not exactly an original idea, but I think my players will enjoy it. I'll probably look for some similar adventures online and shamelessly plagiarize.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Last year I ran an adventure for the kids at my after-school RPG club where they had to take over for Santa on Christmas Eve because he had fallen under the weather just before Christmas. It was fun.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Simian_Prime posted:

I hope it's just filled with elves in costumes.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Elfgames posted:

I hope it's just filled with elves in costumes.

Of course - Gnomes, too!

Was going to use halflings, but 5e halflings all look like fetuses with teeth and hair.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What would be another interesting Christmas themed TG game? I can see a Golden Sky Stories game being pretty appropriate for the holiday.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Any game can be Christmas if you have the right mindset.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Ran a Deadlands christmas themed adventure where a small town's resident Mad Scientist (named Scrooge) died shortly before Christmas. The old loon hated the holiday and the town in general so he arranged an eeeevil plan in the event of his death, essentially three mad science horrors to terrorize the place on the night of Christmas. They included a primitive bestial monster with red and white fur and huge claws (i.e. santa claws), a gigantic animate snowman (which was defeated partially by hurling huge barrels of hot cocoa at it) and finally an automaton with Scrooge's brain inside flying through the air on a steam-sled.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

What would be another interesting Christmas themed TG game? I can see a Golden Sky Stories game being pretty appropriate for the holiday.

Die Hard. It's a Wonderful Life. Lethal Weapon. Tokyo Godfathers/3 Godfathers. Jingle All The Way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Billy Bob Thornton's Bad Santa

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Hello December chat thread. Is there a ruleset out there for colonisation or development of a region? Sort of like Settlers of Catan almost, I wanna have players build medieval settlements and rule over the peons and develop agriculture, and have places develop over hundreds of years. Something to provide a (spergy) background for adventures to happen in.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mrpwase posted:

Hello December chat thread. Is there a ruleset out there for colonisation or development of a region? Sort of like Settlers of Catan almost, I wanna have players build medieval settlements and rule over the peons and develop agriculture, and have places develop over hundreds of years. Something to provide a (spergy) background for adventures to happen in.

King Arthur Pendragon has supplements for establishing/developing a manor that cover the period from Late Antiquity to the Late Middle Ages.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mrpwase posted:

Ars Magica has extensive rules for this, though a lot of them are spread out over multiple books.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Effectronica posted:

King Arthur Pendragon has supplements for establishing/developing a manor that cover the period from Late Antiquity to the Late Middle Ages.

Awesome, thank you.

fool_of_sound posted:

Ars Magica has extensive rules for this, though a lot of them are spread out over multiple books.

Might this book contain most of those rules?

vv cheers!

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 17, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mrpwase posted:

Awesome, thank you.

Might this book contain most of those rules?

Mostly. Covenants also has some of them though (more focused on magic mostly, but it has a settlement creation system), and City & Guild has things like craft/industry development. You can probably skip Covenants unless you want magic though, and just wing it. I would pick up City & Guild though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Oh hey, so we do have a chat thread this month! I thought that after FAU closed the other one we would have to do without.
The GM for a game I'm into won't be able to come. What would you recommend that requires little to no prep time? I tried Microscope last time this happened and got a lukewarm reception.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Covok posted:

Krampus, with Dread.

e: Die Hard, Home Alone, Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman Returns...

Each with a genre appropriate system, of course

fosborb fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 19, 2015

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh hey, so we do have a chat thread this month! I thought that after FAU closed the other one we would have to do without.
The GM for a game I'm into won't be able to come. What would you recommend that requires little to no prep time? I tried Microscope last time this happened and got a lukewarm reception.

What's the genre of your usual game?

In these situations, our group tends to do rules light, genre heavy one shots that are completely different from our main game.

So if we're killing goblins with magic, it's time for something like Lasers and Feelings.

Death School is always a good standby too, unless for some strange reason your group is tired of RPing 80s action movies.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Home Alone/Skyfall in GURPS? :shrug:

What system best models base defense/damage from random junk.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

fosborb posted:

What's the genre of your usual game?

Our standard fare is Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, which I'd sort in a weird narrativist modern fantasy niche.

What other rules light stuff could you recommend? I don't know if Laser and Feelings is our jam; last time this happened there was also a push for PBTA stuff, since they apparently require little set up.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 19, 2015

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

PDQ is pretty much my go-to for really fast, flexible and enjoyable games with just enough substance. Easy to teach, play, etc. The only bit I've seen people get hung up on is the damage, but it's usually not very hard to wrap your head around so long as someone has a firm handle on it. In cases of absentee GMs or players I'm always ready to have people throw together a super-hero or a fairy-tale hero or some-such.

It's also, beneath the DIY and simple trappings still a fairly "traditional" RPG, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Forgive my ignorance, but what is PDQ?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Stands for "Prose Descriptive Qualities", it's a really simple little system. The "core" rules are free which has the basics and there are several books of varying level of depth and additional rules.

Basic freebie PDF: http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf

Very quick summary:

Each character is defined by a few (usually 3-6) strengths called Qualities which are described by the player and assigned a bonus from +2 to +6 and a Weakness that is also player-defined and is rated at -2. When facing a challenge you pick out any applicable Qualities (based on the description of what you're doing) and roll 2d6 adding the modifiers from applicable Qualities (and/or Weaknesses) comparing it to a target number based on difficulty or an opposing roll from another character.

Combat involves opposing rolls and the attacker inflicts damage equal to the amount they beat the defender's roll by, each point of damage reduces one of your Qualities one "step" temporarily.

That pretty much sums up the rules beyond a few optional extras and character building rules. More robust versions exist to give the game a greater focus and additional options.

If you've got time to kill you can always check out my F&F summary of different PDQ games: http://tradwiki.foxxtrot.net/index.php/FATAL_%26_Friends:_P-Q#PDQ:_Prose_Descriptive_Qualities_.28by_oriongates.29

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

paradoxGentleman posted:

Our standard fare is Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, which I'd sort in a weird narrativist modern fantasy niche.

What other rules light stuff could you recommend? I don't know if Laser and Feelings is our jam; last time this happened there was also a push for PBTA stuff, since they apparently require little set up.

For rules-light stuff in a hurry, I have to endorse the Danger Patrol pocket edition.

Read actual Danger Patrol to get some ideas for things to do that aren't just combat scenes, but that should fill a couple hours amusingly, at least.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Helical Nightmares posted:

Home Alone/Skyfall in GURPS? :shrug:

What system best models base defense/damage from random junk.

I could see some Fate/FAE thing where you're throwing traps and damage as tags on parts of the base/house...

I'm not sure about "modeling" it. At that point it sounds like a boardgame would probably do better.

Might be interesting to do something in between like set up the house cooperatively using Betrayal's room tiles, then use post-its to track tags, etc.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Covok asked a question in the FATAL thread a few weeks ago that was pretty interesting so I thought I'd ask it in here too: do you read all your tabletop rpg books in full? If so, do you read it in the order that's presented in the books or do you jump around? If not, what do you tend to read first. If you only read a bit of a book what do you tend to read?

I usually end up reading the books in full since I'm typically the one GMing them. I try to read the rules bits first, but if that gets too dry I realized I'll jump around in the character generation or fluff chapters to stay interested.

Branching off that, what would you say is the ideal order a game should present itself in the rulebook? Setting first? Rules first? Character generation first?

Since I jump into the rules it's nice to have them upfront with character generation folded into them, but I think a bit of an overview of the setting helps hook me in at the start, too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I do when I pay money for them because I'm not wasting it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I suppose I should answer my question now that I'm on the receiving end.

Originally, I'd skim a book, if that. I was a "learn by doing" guy. Since the worked well for me for a long time, I never questioned it. It's one of the main reasons I can run so many games in so many systems: I didn't read outside the basic of basics and I didn't plan.

After that surprisingly large response of "we read," I decided to start reading some. It's helped out so far, but it is time consuming. It helped that I had two 6 hour bus rides with nothing to do, but it is harder to fit into a normal schedule.

So, in summary, used to never do anything other than skim, but now I try to read things when I get the chance.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I kind of dig the idea of stories set in a tabletop store, maybe following a group of players both in their lives in the game then outside of it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

I kind of dig the idea of stories set in a tabletop store, maybe following a group of players both in their lives in the game then outside of it.

I think Quick Star!! is literally that.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, Quickstart is adorable

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Merry Christmas, you goddamn nerds.

And Gygax bless us, every one.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Merry Christmas, every one