Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Ran a Deadlands christmas themed adventure where a small town's resident Mad Scientist (named Scrooge) died shortly before Christmas. The old loon hated the holiday and the town in general so he arranged an eeeevil plan in the event of his death, essentially three mad science horrors to terrorize the place on the night of Christmas. They included a primitive bestial monster with red and white fur and huge claws (i.e. santa claws), a gigantic animate snowman (which was defeated partially by hurling huge barrels of hot cocoa at it) and finally an automaton with Scrooge's brain inside flying through the air on a steam-sled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

PDQ is pretty much my go-to for really fast, flexible and enjoyable games with just enough substance. Easy to teach, play, etc. The only bit I've seen people get hung up on is the damage, but it's usually not very hard to wrap your head around so long as someone has a firm handle on it. In cases of absentee GMs or players I'm always ready to have people throw together a super-hero or a fairy-tale hero or some-such.

It's also, beneath the DIY and simple trappings still a fairly "traditional" RPG, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Stands for "Prose Descriptive Qualities", it's a really simple little system. The "core" rules are free which has the basics and there are several books of varying level of depth and additional rules.

Basic freebie PDF: http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf

Very quick summary:

Each character is defined by a few (usually 3-6) strengths called Qualities which are described by the player and assigned a bonus from +2 to +6 and a Weakness that is also player-defined and is rated at -2. When facing a challenge you pick out any applicable Qualities (based on the description of what you're doing) and roll 2d6 adding the modifiers from applicable Qualities (and/or Weaknesses) comparing it to a target number based on difficulty or an opposing roll from another character.

Combat involves opposing rolls and the attacker inflicts damage equal to the amount they beat the defender's roll by, each point of damage reduces one of your Qualities one "step" temporarily.

That pretty much sums up the rules beyond a few optional extras and character building rules. More robust versions exist to give the game a greater focus and additional options.

If you've got time to kill you can always check out my F&F summary of different PDQ games: http://tradwiki.foxxtrot.net/index.php/FATAL_%26_Friends:_P-Q#PDQ:_Prose_Descriptive_Qualities_.28by_oriongates.29

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, Quickstart is adorable

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

• Locked thread