Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Litany Unheard posted:

So what's with Blizzard's obsession with goodly heroes becoming CORRUPTED? It's an interesting plot once or twice, but it seems to happen three to five times per franchise.

The lead writer has a raging literary boner for CORRUPTION. Like, he literally has difficulty writing any other plotline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The Culling of Stratholme for Timewalking dungeons in WoW is the single most painful experience because pubbies just do not know any of the mechanics.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Spudd posted:

The Culling of Stratholme for Timewalking dungeons in WoW is the single most painful experience because pubbies just do not know any of the mechanics.

I see your Culling of Stratholme, and raise you an Oculus.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

BlazetheInferno posted:

You can't run through a street pulling 100 dudes in Oculus though. :v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I thought we were talking about people not understanding mechanics?

Oculus was nigh-impossible to comple WHEN IT WAS CURRENT because no one would stay... because everyone was too goddamn stupid to learn how the drat dragons worked.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Litany Unheard posted:

So what's with Blizzard's obsession with goodly heroes becoming CORRUPTED? It's an interesting plot once or twice, but it seems to happen three to five times per franchise.

I'm pretty sure this is the first Blizzard game that plot occurred in though, so it's not as bad here.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Second - Starcraft 1 came first.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
3rd actually, diablo 2 came before warcraft 3 too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't mind Arthas, Kerrigan and the Wanderer because they all happen in their own distinct ways. It's in TFT and WoW that the CORRUPTION gets really tiresome.

The cutscene from the start of Culling is so good, I have the dialogue practically memorised.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

alright with Stratholme done now we get to the best hero in the game :getin:
You're misremebering, GROM HELLSCREAM doesn't show up for quite a while yet.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'll have you know he appeared a game ago already :colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgteUAI4tZo

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
He talked. He didn't perform any GROM HELLSCREAM-ing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Technically he was in the tutorial too and I am seriously disappointed by how they handled his voice in this game but he's still the most badass orc that ever lived.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Aman'thul help you if you had a pre-raid bis item dropping off the optional Halls of Origination bosses :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Technically he was in the tutorial too and I am seriously disappointed by how they handled his voice in this game but he's still the most badass orc that ever lived.
More badass than Gul'dan, Ner'zul or Doomhammer?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Totally. Especially Ner'zhul, that clown managed to get himself undeaded. Doomhammer is the only real contestant.

edit: VVV Oh, gently caress off. That guy's only reason for existence was to turn a perfectly fine story into a terrible book.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 21, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ just sayin' ^^

You're all wrong.

WoWWiki posted:

At the final battle over the Well of Eternity, Brox realized that if the world and the future were to be saved, his companions needed more time. Brox leapt from the back of one of the red dragons also carrying Rhonin into the swirling portal that was opening at the bottom of the funnel. When he passed through, and arrived in the realm of the Burning Legion, he proceeded to slaughter multitudes of demons, blocking their advance towards the portal, slaying so many that he ended up standing atop a hill of their bodies — mocking more to come challenge him. It was there that he eventually attracted the attention of Sargeras, who came personally to put an end to the orc's life. However, using the magical axe crafted for him by Malfurion, Brox did the impossible, and struck a small wound in Sargeras' leg. This wound would later be the focus of Krasus and his allies' spellwork, that for a second, tore Sargeras' attention away from his struggle to keep the portal open...allowing Malfurion and Illidan to close it upon him. Brox's life was ended by Sargeras, right before the demon entered the portal, by the jagged edge of Sargeras's broken sword. With this final act of loyalty, Broxigar the Red sealed his place in history as the only known mortal to have ever staged an assault upon the Burning Legion's leader.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 21, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ oh god my first quote != edit ^^

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drakenel posted:

The lead writer has a raging literary boner for CORRUPTION. Like, he literally has difficulty writing any other plotline.

It is a little more nuanced than that. Metzen has stated before that he hates the idea of villains who are evil because they are evil, and in the case of the Warcraft orcs especially it felt uncomfortably racist to him.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And somehow CORRUPTION isn't evil because evil? What's wrong with letting orcs (and humans and elves and dwarves and so on) have people who are evil selfish assholes? Surely all races have good and bad individuals.

So... bad... brain hurts. :barf:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

And somehow CORRUPTION isn't evil because evil? What's wrong with letting orcs (and humans and elves and dwarves and so on) have people who are evil selfish assholes? Surely all races have good and bad individuals.

Because Metzen isn't a very good writer, mkay? He at least had editors to keep Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 reasonably coherent, he only started to go off the deep end later.

Akul
Aug 29, 2012
Great to see you continue! Took a while for me to trudge through the threads and see this one. In March of the Scourge (and probably other maps with Goblin Merchants) they sell Gems of True Seeing, but I don't know if there is actually any use for it at any point during the games? You can also get three free footmen south of your base. There is also a small scene with a caged peasant in an island in the middle of the map who will give you Boots of Speed, which are probably not available anywhere else. Never realized that some of the undead waves were created by the caravan.

I looked at the map in the editor and found the area you need to be in for the "speech" to trigger. You can see the speech is in progress as Arthas has no health numbers visible. The area is just behind where Mal'ganis first appears.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ironic thing is, Arthas is probably doing the right thing here. It's a tough situation, but the plague is supposed to be difficult if not impossible to cure, and Arthas is right that the longer they delay the worse this problem gets, particularly with Mal'Ganis on the city's doorstep.

The problem is that Arthas is being a particular dick about it. Had Jaina and Uther stuck around long enough to meet Mal'Ganis, they'd probably agree that it's a grim and unpleasant business that must be done to quarantine the plague. But Arthas jumps straight into it and alienates his friends and allies as a result.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Litany Unheard posted:

Welcome to Chris Metzen.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Cythereal posted:

It is a little more nuanced than that. Metzen has stated before that he hates the idea of villains who are evil because they are evil, and in the case of the Warcraft orcs especially it felt uncomfortably racist to him.

Don't orcs literally change color when they get corrupted?

I think a lot of the corruption stuff just comes from Warhammer. The problem is that while it can be interesting to see a hero turn evil, it's never interesting to have "corruption" be a literal substance in the universe's metaphysics. Like, it goes from an already-bad description of impurity into fantasy jargon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

George posted:

Don't orcs literally change color when they get corrupted?

Yes, and thanks to Warlords of Draenor being particularly off, we now know the color change even depends on the specific flavor of corruption. The orcs we've seen and will continue to see this game were corrupted by the blood of Mannoroth, a pit lord (a very powerful demon we'll see later), turning them red as we saw in the first human mission or two. Orcs still contaminated by Mannoroth's blood but not in the throes of full demonic corruption are green instead, as the green orcs we'll see most of the game.

Uncorrupted orcs have brown or grey skin depending on the clan.

Speaking of which, the red orcs we've seen in the human campaign are noted to be members of the Blackrock Clan. Without getting into the insanity that's Warlords of Draenor, the Blackrocks were the preeminent clan of the Warcraft 1 and 2 Horde, and their leader Blackhand was the Horde's warchief. These Blackrocks were members of the WC2 Horde that evaded capture and have continued to wage a guerrilla war against the Alliance while still worshiping demons.

I know far too much about WoW's lore if anyone wants to peer into the abyss. For example, that Blackrock blademaster guy in the second mission, Jubei'thos? He's part of a raid boss encounter in WoW's current hardest raid. How much sense it makes... depends.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Ironic thing is, Arthas is probably doing the right thing here. It's a tough situation, but the plague is supposed to be difficult if not impossible to cure, and Arthas is right that the longer they delay the worse this problem gets, particularly with Mal'Ganis on the city's doorstep.

The problem is that Arthas is being a particular dick about it. Had Jaina and Uther stuck around long enough to meet Mal'Ganis, they'd probably agree that it's a grim and unpleasant business that must be done to quarantine the plague. But Arthas jumps straight into it and alienates his friends and allies as a result.
"Arthas is a moron" is basically this game's plot in a nutshell.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Cythereal posted:

This is pretty much why I end up tuning out the story until the end of the human champaign at the least. I'd have loved it if there was another mission between this one and the last that had Arthas get more and more frustrated and desperate to stop the plauge from killing his people before he goes "Okay this paladin poo poo is not going to to work, time to cut to the chase", and then this mission happens. But as it is, it just ends up feeling like he goes from being somewhat frustrated to turbo rear end in a top hat in the span of 2 scenes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

anilEhilated posted:

See the whole bit where the bad guy that's running around talking about what a great soldier of darkness Arthas will be just told Arthas he'll be in the frozen north for the near future, and could Arthas kindly meet him there to find his destiny?

Arthas' response?
Death threats and running into the world's most obvious trap

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cythereal posted:

Do you know who else was uncomfortable with the idea of villains who are evil because they are evil?

JRR Tolkien

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Someone once said that Blizzard's only ever plot is "corrupted by evil the end" which is the most succint and true way to put it.

Also, I like having this thread back, even though you drive me insane by constantly putting the song the title references into my head :argh:. Also, your videos are good and fun to watch, please stop apologizing for how terribly boring they are and how you should have done [x] instead to make them better!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Honestly, and I know this has been brought up by other Goons and folks on other forums, I sometimes wonder if Metzen struggles/struggled with addiction. Like the whole corruption plot and how he's frankly obssessed with it seems like the sort of theme that would resonate with an addict or a recovering addict. Like, it's kind of funny, but due to retcons and poo poo, by the time of WoW there are basically NO actual villains with agency in the Warcraft canon. Every single named villain, with almost no exceptions, was corrupted by something. It's hilariously optimistic; there are no bad people, really, just fallen heroes.

Nthing that I'm glad this is back, and also the sentiment that while Arthas' fall isn't that bad or anything given his character, it really does feel rushed. I agree we definitely kind of needed another mission or something between "what shall I do?" and "FULL STEAM AHEAD, KILL THE VILLAGERS."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't think the problem was the "kill the villagers" thing so much as him being a complete dick about it to Uther and Jaina, up to and including stripping Uther of knighthood. They could've kept The Culling of Stratholme right where it was with no changes except Arthas is sad about what he's doing instead of a massive jerk and it would've been less jarring. Then (without spoilers), you have two missions from now as the big turning point and it works better.

Simply Simon posted:

Also, your videos are good and fun to watch, please stop apologizing for how terribly boring they are and how you should have done [x] instead to make them better!

Well, you're gonna have to deal with it until the backlog is gone at least. :v:

Take it more as me asking you guys if you have any better idea about how to handle something, because a lot of times it's the first time I come across a problem and I figure the people watching it can give feedback. Good to hear it's going okay.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Communication for Paladins 101 -

Do: "Uther, I worry something terrible is going to happen to these plague victims and I need your help."

Don't: "I demand you assist me in the slaughter this entire city. Otherwise, be cast out as a traitor!"

All ultimatums and no manners make Arthus a raid boss.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It actually would've been interesting if they started off the mission by getting you to try and heal the peasants with priests, but after the first couple of rounds it became clear it wasn't working and they changed the objective on you.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jsor posted:

Do you know who else was uncomfortable with the idea of villains who are evil because they are evil?

JRR Tolkien
He sure didn't seem have a problem with it during the 10+ years it took to write the books, at least.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would like to point out that Metzen's big problem with Warcraft isn't individual people being evil, he continues to have that happen all the time and he never actually stops that. His actual problem was Orcs as a whole being evil. Hence Thrall and the story-line of the Horde in this game and the expansion. I think they use the corruption line too much but that doesn't mean that trying to give reasons for villains being villains isn't a good idea, they just keep using the same justification almost all the time which is bad.

Arthas isn't actually being corrupted right now, he's just being a jerk. Even when the later stuff happens with Arthas it's still by and large all his own decisions, so I'd argue that Arthas isn't being corrupted so much as walking into his own doom. Evil for the sake of evil villains can be interesting, in fact whilst he isn't directly in this game Gul'Dan is probably the best example of a Warcraft villain being evil because he's evil. On the other hand most people aren't evil for the sake of evil, usually they believe they're doing the right thing or they're too far gone by the time they realise they aren't, Arthas is this sort of evil and that's more interesting to me. Also Ner'Zhul is too which is funny considering what ends up going down between them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The first few missions already painted Arthas as a bit of a impatient guy. Hes just being shoved into a corner now and being even more impatient.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Arthas is unintentionally letting his bloodlust and his desire for vengeance against the Scourge get the better of him. Uther may have been on to something when he said in an earlier mission that "vengeance cannot be a part of what we must do" and that bloodlust makes you as "vile as the orcs."

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ilyich posted:

Arthas is unintentionally letting his bloodlust and his desire for vengeance against the Scourge get the better of him. Uther may have been on to something when he said in an earlier mission that "vengeance cannot be a part of what we must do" and that bloodlust makes you as "vile as the orcs."
But I thought the orcs were all supposed to be noble and crap. :v:

(it is a good point though)

• Locked thread