Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

dublish posted:

I believe there was some mention about putting this in every Star Wars OP.

YES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namaste
May 5, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

There's something I've really really disliked about the advertising for this movie, and maybe it's just me, but...

They're selling these action figures and toys of these characters and we know nothing about them. They haven't revealed anything about their, you know, personalities at all. That to me was why people came to Star Wars; the world and the characters. Right now it's just all imagery. What if the movie comes out and their all unlikable shitheads?

I don't think that will happen, but I mean, these are characters that will become iconic by virtue of just being in the movie. I'd have liked it if they tried to get us excited for the people in the movie.

Disney can't say "let's wait until the week after the movie comes out to put the toys on the shelf." They've gotta make their $4b back, and it's the holiday season.

I haven't bought a single piece of TFA-related anything in the build up to the flick, for exactly this reason, but they know not everyone has that restraint, and that people (young and old) wanna own poo poo from this movie. Say what you want about them capitalizing on people saying "this one could be good!", but it's not exactly unexpected.

Namaste
May 5, 2007

teagone posted:

Give Finn some credit too. I mean, the guy is a soldier who was trained to fight since birth.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are taking Finn's line about being a "janitor" as "they never taught me how to fight." He clearly knows how to fight.

Namaste
May 5, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

If Rey is Luke's daughter like some people are guessing, then who's the mother? Phasma? :tinfoil:

I assume we will get a flashback that shows her mother and Luke together. Disney/Marvel used some pretty hot poo poo deaging CGI in Ant-Man with Michael Douglas, and it could be used really effectively in just one scene to show the downfall of Luke's new Jedi Order.

My theory is that he sent Rey off with her mother once her saw hints of Ben going to the dark side. If we assume she's quite a few years younger than Ben (Ridley is 23 and Driver is 32; if Ben's training starts around 10, Rey would still be a toddler), the timeline could add up that Rey doesn't remember her father. Then the mother leaves her with someone on Jakku (the junk trader), and promises to come back, but gets killed by Ben/Kylo/The Knights of Ren at the new temple. After the Mom never shows up, the junk trader puts her rear end to work. Explains away the "Luke is a bad father for leaving her on a shithole!" point, especially if you consider one of the last big battles between the Rebellion and the Empire happened on Jakku (a year or so after ROTJ); Jakku could've been very Rebel friendly, and the gang could have made contacts there.

This, of course, all hinges on her being his daughter.

Namaste
May 5, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, he admits that in the interview. But his point is that those are his inspirations, and everyone has inspirations no matter what it is they're trying to do or make. Everything is a mix of a whole lot of stuff smashed together. "There is no new thing under the sun" and all that.

This x1000. Lucas is a man who knows his Joseph Campbell.

TFA in turn is the original trilogy mashed up and rearranged (and occasionally subverted), but it still hits all the points of The Hero's Journey, because everything does. It simultaneously "gets these story beats out of the way" for uncharted waters in VIII and IX, while reinforcing the idea that J.J. is as inspired by the original Star Wars as he is Monomyth.

• Locked thread