Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

RedSpider posted:

So how are they going to explain a 25 year old Han Solo played by Aiden Ehrenreich becoming a 25 year old Han Solo played by Harrison Ford in A New Hope? Has Disney sent the market research through corporate for explaining this yet?

Harrison Ford was 35 when Star Wars came out, so a 25 year old Han Solo makes sense for the movie. Puts it just about midway between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UmOk posted:

I. Don't. Care. You saw the penis is what matters. Also Death Star Vagina.

Luke fucks the Death Star to explosive orgasm.

What's that man doing to his thermal exhaust port

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I was curious to see where the EU ended, apparently this was the last novel.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crucible_(novel)

I'm not reading that exhaustive plot summary, but holy poo poo, we're talking a 63 year old Luke (and Leia) and an 80 year old Han Solo still carrying the story.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

Well, part of that is helped by the fact that they play "Its the future and medicine is way better" straight, and 55 is seen as early middle age. Han is barely touching 'old' on that scale.

I know Obi-Wan got a lot of sun in his latter years, but he was looking pretty brittle when he died at 57 years old (according to Wookiepedia).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Obi Wan spent his days in Mos Eisley, chain smoking death sticks and pounding Jawa Juice

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UmOk posted:

Posts like this make it sound awesome. Was there a thread for it? I didn't see one

The Book of Henry is bad, but it's amiably bad. The performances are generally fine and it's competently made, it's just that taken at face value it's tremendously confused and misguided, the tone is insane, and the kid at the center of it (I think unintentionally) is tremendously unlikable despite everyone around him basically regarding him as a saint. However, it gnawed on me a couple of days after seeing it, and I eventually settled on it having a pretty interesting point to make, just made in a bizarre fashion.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 3, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Bizarre is good, I think.

Also Sarah Silverman plays a friend of the mom and there's a weird sexual tension between her and the kid, which is kind of different.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UmOk posted:

That "gnawing" is what is good about movies. It means they made you think or something.

I meant it as a positive thing. I still wouldn't go so far as to call it a good movie, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

romanowski posted:

what is hard sci fi

Hard sci fi portrays actual penetrative science, while soft sci fi is just simulated science.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Starkiller isn't bad because the technology isn't believable in the Star Wars universe, it's bad because it's so unclear what the existence of that technology means for anyone involved. How did such a marginal faction pay for this and build it in secret? What does the destruction of Hosnian Prime mean for the Republic? What does the destruction of Starkiller mean for the First Order? Starkiller Base materializes out of thin air, kills billions of people that neither the audience nor the protagonists know or care anything about, and gets blowed up before anyone in-universe or in the audience has any time to process its ramifications.

Within the plot of The Force Awakens, Starkiller base could have just been a shipyard or something and it wouldn't have altered how the story played out.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 13, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is exactly the case, and the lack of context - the materialization 'out of nowhere' is what makes TFA conducive to being read as fantasy.

Yeah, it's sort of like Lord of the Rings where the nebulous idea of Sauron (or evil in general) "growing stronger" is manifested in the material plane (in the form of armies who literally crawl out of the woodwork) with no real explanation. This isn't a flaw in Lord of the Rings because its logic is internally consistent- it's a fable- but it's a departure for Star Wars, where there's always been intuitive real-world logic behind who the belligerents are and where they would draw their support from.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 13, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Maybe none of this matters, but are these not reasonable?

*Starkiller Base was a one or two use weapon and as such, its loss isn't that big a deal (assuming they managed to get all that personnel off planet). It had two jobs: destroy the government/fleet, take out the Resistance. Its power source was then extinguished. Unless Abrams was going to explain how they were going to fly the loving planet to another star, it was finished.

*The majority of the galaxy (as should have happened after DS1 blew up Alderaan) would gang up on the First Order. As with Alderaan, the First Order crossed a line -- billions of innocents were killed, there's no way to explain it, no way to defend it. Even worse than DS1, it wasn't reusable, so they couldn't even dangle the threat of its power over the galaxy. Unless they have another superweapon up their sleeves, why in the world wouldn't the galaxy collectively say, "Holy poo poo, they're loving crazy and need to be put down." If North Korea lobbed a nuke at Tokyo, I don't think even China would object to kicking its rear end. I'm reasonably sure that however powerful the FO is, they can't pacify an entire pissed off and horrified galaxy. If TLJ doesn't have most of the galaxy either gearing up for or already at war, it will be ridiculous.

I don't think I'm going into too deep a level of real world speculation here, this stuff seems obvious to me. But as I said, the galaxy didn't all gang up on the Empire after Alderaan went boom, so what do I know.

No, you're absolutely right. In ANH the Empire was at the apex of its power at that point, to an extent that they could effectively police a far-flung shithole like Tatooine. Other than the Rebellion, there presumably weren't a bunch of autonomous military powers that could take action against them.

On the other hand, if we're to understand that every standing army in the galaxy except for the New Order and the Resistance were milling around in that one system, and that the other 98% of the galaxy is now helpless to resist, then that's stone cold retarded.

You can call this nitpicking, but the writers could have established any political reality for the galaxy that they wanted starting out that would best suit the story they wanted to tell; they chose to write themselves into this corner.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 14, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

That's precisely what I mean, though. Tarkin, Lando, Obi-Wan, Beru, Jabba, Greedo, etc. etc. But there's this sort-of meme that everyone in Star Wars has a monosyllabic name because of Han, Luke, Leia. And, as Abrams is wont to do...

Lei-uh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Luke
Han
Lay
Art
Si
Chew
Obe
Darth
Yode
Sid

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

For me the problem with Starkiller is the difference between a movie showing an eccentric billionaire owning the only flying car in the world and a movie showing the Benton, Arkansas chapter of the KKK owning the only flying car in the world. The physics of how the flying car would work isn't the first objection that comes to mind.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AKu03TgKd50SjLlw2m5r

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why didn't they (the filmmakers) just blow up Coruscant? That would have at least been a bit ballsy. We have no connection to the current iteration of the Republic, but we at least have some connection to the planet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess what I've been getting at is that if the point of Starkiller was to "even the playing field", and we're supposed to believe that- even with a large portion of the Republic fleet gone- the First Order can project enough strength to threaten a large portion of the galaxy before the Republic systems can retool for war, then that's loving stupid; it's too much of a leap.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

not that it matters all that much, but is there any interview or insight from JJ or one of the tfa writers or anything why Leia's group had to be the resistance and not just like, straight up the republic? I just don't understand that

it seems to slavishly devoted to having the same power dichotomy of the OT

From posts itt about the books, I think it's something to the effect that the member systems of the Republic are largely tired of fighting the remnants of the Empire and don't take them seriously enough to want to expend the effort to finish the job. Thus the Republic votes to make peace, but some of the higher ups (not very subtly) commission this CIA Black OPs bullshit to break Imperial control of their remaining systems.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also his robot hand in that one case

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Episode IX will feature Leia, just in a slightly different form

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I still refuse to believe that Snoke isn't going to end up being some form of fan service.

The way our information about him is limited, it seems likely there's some surprise for us in store about him. The only possible ways I can see them going are that he's either someone we already know or have already heard of in the OT, or he's a Wizard of Oz type fraud who doesn't really actually know anything about using the Dark Side beyond book knowledge. I can't see any answer to the former that makes sense, so I'm leaning toward the latter.

-He's not a Sidious clone because he doesn't look anything like Sidious, and surely the story group isn't desperate enough to start grave robbing yet
-He's not Darth Plagueis because who cares
-He's not a Rebels character because who cares

I guess the most reasonable reveal would be that he was Luke's first Jedi apprentice, in which case he probably covertly corrupted Ben Solo and several of Luke's other trainees while serving as a teacher at Luke's Jedi School. Probably got hosed up by Luke when the Knights of Ren revealed themselves.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 15, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Everyone from the bar scene in 7 will have their own stories soon enough.

Which is cannon now, Wolfman or Dinosaur Smoking a Bong?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dammit you got me, I'm usually a pedant on this level but I'm drunkposting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Empire of the OT always seemed like a really banal strain of evil. We never met many zealots, most everybody was a 9-5 type who was just putting in hours- talking about cars, bitching about all the drills, and trying not to get choked to death by their boss.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The funny thing about the First Order is that none of them seem totally sold that they're doing the right thing- Hux talks with a lot of bluster and inflammatory rhetoric, but his voice nearly cracks when he shouts; he sheds a tear and is generally shaken when Starkiller Base fires. He comes across a big bundle of nerves; he's in over his head and he knows it.

Kylo Ren is nominally a Believer, but he wears his uncertainty on his sleeve. He believes in the Dark Side, but he's not sure he has the faith to go the distance. ("If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple."- Luke 14:26)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Wasn't the OT Empire space racists that only let humans work for them and also employed the use of weapons of mass destruction to genocide a whole planet?

Yeah, the British Empire basically. What's more banal than the British Empire?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr President posted:

Thrawn was a high ranking Imperial in both old and new canon

Thrawn is the Colin Powell of the Star Wars Universe

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Facism is inherently cool- if it's not cool, it's not proper facism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

porfiria posted:

Edit: Also we do see Vader get down on his knees in ESB, so it's kind of a wash versus Star Wars, coup d'etat talk aside.

Real Men Pray

• Locked thread