Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I have high hopes for this Star War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm not telling you not to do this but I will point out that this franchise has had pretty much all of their film based around hosed up father/son relationships so far ..

What I'm getting from this is that he should be afraid his father will cut off one or more of his limbs.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Wank posted:

AOTC went poo poo because Lucas started to pander to 'fans' (the worst people).

AOTC is the one that attacks fan preconceptions the most.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The prequels are good.

My biggest worry about the sequels is that they'll play it too safe and won't have anything interesting to say. But I'm optimistic on this front.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Who titled Plageius "The Wise"? Just Sheev? Was he well known at the time or something?

There's not any canonical account of this, but I would assume just Sheev. He's trying to tempt Anakin with forbidden knowledge, so of course he would call the guy who discovered it "The Wise."

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Someone is probably going to blab tonight. There may not be an official account posted by anyone who was actually at the premiere and it certainly won't show up in any real publications, but the rumor sites will most likely get the rest of the spoilers.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

It's entirely possible to like the prequels and believe they are good movies without agreeing with one single thing that SMG posts.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The prequels are about the fall of institutions as much as they are about Anakin himself. TPM isn't a waste of a film—in fact it gives us the good-hearted, heroic Anakin that people always talk about. It is more saccharine than the other movies, but only as a way of covering up the sickness in both the Republic and the Jedi Order. AOTC is all about the blindness of the Jedi (while they get duped into a galactic war, thinking all the while that they've solved a big mystery) and the ways in which they are failing their star pupil.

I don't see why the prequels would have been better if the Jedi were more straightforward heroes and the Sith were overt bad guys the whole time. The Sith in these movies are effective villains because they're conniving bastards.

ATP_Power posted:

Another thing that struck me in TPM is the scene where Anakin is packing up and is talking to C3P0 about how he wasn't going to be able to finish him, and would try to make sure his mom wouldn't sell him. When the scene looks at C3P0 it's a normal shot, but when the camera is on Anakin (the recently freed slave) talking about how he'll make sure his mom doesn't sell 3P0, it's shot from what looks like 3P0's first person perspective. Is that one of the only times we have a first person shot in any of the Star Wars films? It really stood out to me.

I believe there's at least one more in AOTC, when Anakin is riding in the cart in the arena and cutting down droids as he goes. I think there was one other POV shot, but I can't remember where.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

kiimo posted:

If this movie is really good I think it will do what the Phantom Menace was thought would do and that's break the box office record. I hope so because I really dislike Avatar. (Titanic's cool though)

Avatar was one of those films that I really liked when I saw it (twice), but now it just seems thoroughly mediocre.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

We need a 900 page thread evangelising Avatar in excruciating detail.

If someone could write about that film and show me interesting things about it that I didn't understand years ago, I'd be happy to read it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly it was the previous film where I became completely disconnected from the original prequels at that point. Anakin gets back from murdering a whole tribe of Sand People, revealing to Padme that he not only killed the men but the women and the children too.

And then...nothing. She literally says nothing. It's almost forgotten in the next 2 minutes and its never brought up again. It's like she didn't care, and we shouldn't either. I remember my immersion was so broken that I was actually looking around the theater at people rather than watching the film.

She says, "To be angry is to be human." She's rationalizing for him.

Padmé's big flaw is that she refuses to see the worst in her friends until it's too late. She did it with Senator Palpatine and she does it again with Anakin. And Anakin in turn desperately wants to be validated, which is why he likes Palpatine and Padmé so much. The difference between the two is that Padmé reassures him of his goodness, whereas Palpatine praises him for his greatness.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

I don't know, the prequels kind of went out of their way to make jedis look cool and make getting laid look like a horrible ordeal that causes the protagonist's downfall. Unless you mean they made people grow up by not liking Star Wars anymore.

The prequels go out of their way to much make the Jedi look cool, but also show them to be arrogant and out-of-touch. Anakin doesn't fall because he gets laid, he falls because he has a whole bunch of emotional hangups that nobody in the Order can help him with.

Now if the sequels make Luke's new Jedi into a bunch of stoic, celibate monks, we'll know that everyone involved missed the point.

Fred Breakfast posted:

I would't call Padme's trust of Palpatine a flaw. The whole point of his character is deceit, and he's drat good at it. People only figure out what his deal is when he wants people to actually know.

Yeah, but the way Palpatine deceives people is by finding their flaws and exploiting them. Anakin laps up praise from a kindly old grandfather. The Jedi never suspect him because they don't think they could ever be outsmarted. Dooku mistakes his big role for actual importance. Padmé sees him as an experience ally fighting hard for her in the Senate, and she never rethinks that position.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

sassassin posted:

When did the jedi look cool?

They have awesome laser swords and magic powers. (It's superficial.)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

They're really explicit about Anakin's attachment to Padme being against the rules of the jedi order and being the thing that lets the dark side into him. She's the lever Sidious uses.

Repeat after me: the Jedi are wrong. Their philosophy causes all sorts of problems in the prequels, and then Luke proves them wrong once and for all in the original trilogy.

Jewel Repetition posted:

My favorite ideas for making the prequels better are still Belated Media's. I assume everyone here has seen them.

I just watched the TPM one. Personally, I think the number one red flag in prequel criticism is when someone says that Jar-Jar was "not important." Annoying? Sure! Some of the jokes involving him fell flat? Yep! But not important? Qui-Gon sees value in him when no one else (including the audience and also all the other characters) does. Eventually, it's Jar-Jar who shows Amidala that the solution to her problem was in front of her the whole time. Padmé didn't need to go to Coruscant and she didn't need to put Palpatine in power, but she did, just because her society was too racist to even consider asking the Gungans for help. Padmé's breakthrough is in overcoming her own prejudices, and it only happens because Qui-Gon kept Jar-Jar around.

Fred Breakfast posted:

I'll give you Anakin, but the relationship between Palpatine and Padme is on the rocks by the time Revenge of the Sith rolls around though, being that even his alter ego is pretty pro war and pro power and Padme isn't. There's a deleted scene or two from the last one that shows that quite well.

Right. I was trying to elaborate on my earlier point—Padmé trusts people she shouldn't until well after it's too late to fix her mistake. By ROTS she no longer is on Palpatine's side, but he seems to have like a 94% approval rating. She can't build an effective opposition anymore.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Qui Gon thinks no more of Jar Jar than anyone else and keeps him around when he's useful because he has no other options.

Then Jar Jar is tricked into starting a galactic war and ushering in 20+ years of hell.

Qui-Gon didn't really need a navigator to get through the planet core. All the navigating shown on-screen is done by Qui-Gon himself. Obi-Wan wanted to leave Jar Jar behind in Otoh Gunga, and Qui-Gon wouldn't let him.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Are you sure? Luke doesn't hook up or anything. What specific things the jedi do or say are made dramatically ironic by Luke later?

Luke's journey is about not just becoming a Jedi but using love to overcome evil. It's Luke's attachment to his long-lost father that leads him to ignore the advice of Obi-Wan and Yoda in ROTJ, and he turns out to be right.

quote:

Hold up, I gotta ask you to be patient with me because I haven't seen the prequels in a while. What solution to what problem? And when is she actually shown overcoming her prejudices? And does Qui-Gon ever give a reason for having Jar-Jar around?

Her planet has been invaded. Nobody in her inner circle even thinks of their neighbors, who happen to have a pretty decent-sized army and are also threatened by the Trade Federation. When Padmé returns to Naboo (after Jar Jar boasts that his people are proud warriors and reminds Padmé that her people don't like his), she seeks out the Gungan leadership and begs them for help. ("We are your humble servants.")

Qui-Gon justifies keeping Jar Jar on Naboo by claiming he's needed to navigate through the undersea caverns, but that's a lie. We hear from Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon has a mysterious affinity for picking up "pathetic life form[s]." It's a habit of his.

I'm of the opinion that we should take Qui-Gon view of things in these movies to be most correct. It's no coincidence that he's the one who unlocks the secret to immortality.

Steve2911 posted:

And given future events Obi Wan was pretty justified.

Palpatine doesn't make the mistake of seeing Jar Jar as useless. The moment anyone asks Jar Jar for help, he's pretty happy to oblige. Sometimes he fucks up.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Fred Breakfast posted:

If Jar Jar's role in the movie was to tell a queen that she had an army, then he was a waste of celluloid. Jar Jar's role in that movie was to provide comic relief to the audience first and foremost, story be damned. This scene which literally has no bearing on the story whatsoever, proves it

Jar Jar is not just there to say something important at one point in the story. He's the classic fool archetype. He acts silly and makes people dismiss him out of hand, but then it turns out that he has vital knowledge that nobody else considered.

The reason to do this is so that the audience makes the same mistake the main characters do: they assume this character is pointless and are surprised by his sudden importance. He makes us reevaluate our own prejudices. Of course, he's also there for comedy.

Now you might feel that Jar Jar overdoes it. Some people find him so annoying that they actually start to hate him. For what it's worth, when I watched TPM the other day, I thought the poop joke was kinda lame and the fart joke sucked, but the power coupling mishap made me laugh out loud.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Isn't the one where he ignores their advice Empire? And he turns out to be wrong and walking into a trap?

He actually ignores their advice in both.

In Empire, they don't want him to run off untrained and sacrifice everything he and his friends have worked for to save his friends' lives. They've lived through this story before; Luke's mistake is a version of Anakin's.

In Jedi, Obi-Wan and Yoda think Luke can defeat the Emperor, but they're adamant that Vader is too far gone and can't be redeemed.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 14, 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

kiimo posted:

I'm still at a loss as to why they changed Luke saying "You're lucky you don't taste very good" to Artoo after he gets spit out of the swamp to "You're lucky to get out of there".

IIRC this was a technical issue they ran into when making the special editions. The original recording got damaged somehow, so they had to use a recording from a different version of the scene. I could be wrong, though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah I liked it being about ultimate forgiveness a lot more than I liked the prequels being about Buddhist detachment. But in the end I'm still not convinced that the prequels weren't strongly saying Anakin's relationship was his downfall or were promoting love or maturity in any way.

If you approach the prequels with the fundamental assumption that the Jedi Order—as an institution—is noble and just and wise all the time, then those films definitely suck and make no sense.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

korusan posted:

If Harper were still head of state you bet the answer would have been Clones.

Clones was the best one! :colbert:

Nah, just kidding, I'm not that far gone.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That guys name is never mentioned in the movie, but i knew his name because of toys and the tie-in books. I was watching TPM the other night and was like "oh hey, its Sio Bibble" and then immediately hated myself for remembering that poo poo.

I felt worse because I remembered Daultay Dofine.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Because politics were always the most entertaining part of Star Wars!

The prequels inevitably had to be about politics. They do a competent job of it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What's the name of the droid that looks like a trash can from a fast food joint that gets tortured in Jabba's palace? That droid owns.

That's a gonk (GNK) droid!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

New Battlefront has a gonk mode. GOTY 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

So have you. Grown more beautiful, I mean.

:suicide:

He's super goony.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 16, 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

While we're at it, why would the gunners on Vader's Star Destroyer not shoot down escape pods with no signs of life? Have they never seen droids before?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

perhaps the military hardware has some sort of capability to detect ships?

The "how did they know it was a hanger/!?!" gripe is absolutely dumb

It's a CinemaSin.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is one of the many cases where a crucial part of the narrative is mistaken for a 'plot hole.'

I was trying to play along by posting another inane criticism that doesn't really mean much. :ssh:

But yes, it's true that one of the major thematic undercurrents of the saga is classism/racism against the droids. (And also the Gungans, and the Tuskens, and the clones, and the Ewoks.)

quote:

So we should read this scene very carefully. In Empire, we learn that every ship has its own intelligence. All vehicles, even whole cities, are sentient beings with thoughts and feelings. But here, in A New Hope, we already have this image a spaceship being consumed - and, in its death throes, making GBS threads itself in terror. The Rebel ship squeezes out a turd, and we then follow its trajectory as it plummets to the ground.

I don't know how Han saying he needs 3PO to talk to the Falcon and figure out what's wrong with her is evidence that the ship is alive. By that logic, Anakin's pod racer is equally alive because it communicates to him about the damage it has taken. And you can't claim that the Death Star shits itself and then explain that it's actually the Rebel ship that shits on it. There's no poo poo imagery here.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The rear end Stooge posted:

and then Rey shits herself

I'm glad J.J. understood something about Star Wars

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

What's so bad about Jake Lloyd's performance? To me his Anakin comes across and sweet and childlike but also assertive and a tiny bit rebellious, which seems like a perfectly good representation of 9-year-old Anakin.

The other child actors around him are god-awful, though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

AOTC is frustrating because, of its two main plot threads, the mystery is superbly done, while the romance has a string of okay scenes interrupted by one or two really bad ones.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

kiimo posted:

Are you flying dangerously close to spoilers with [what was removed from your post]?

I would certainly think so.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 17, 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I enjoyed all the Star Wars films.

So did I. :):hf::)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The Force. It's calling to you. Get your rear end out of bed.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I have one important question for people who have seen TFA: does the film use wipe transitions?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

ThePutty posted:

yeah, there's a fuckload of them too, especially when it cuts to a space shot

Excellent.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

gfanikf posted:

I'm referring to interactions between the combatants and the landscape, not that the land and sky are CGI.

The one thing that really stood out to me was that it seemed like the battle droids weren't quite attached to the ground. It's most obvious in the very first fight in the hallways of the Federation ship.

I also just re-watched A New Hope, and it's kind of distracting seeing a whole bunch of badly-done stunts and effects in that movie. For example, Obi-Wan's bar fight has zero physicality. Sword comes out, jump the camera around a few times, and then there's an arm on the floor.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It turns out that a bunch of ships and other things which I'd always assumed were CGI were actually miniatures which just looked CGI on screen. :v:

These things are part a matter of style and part a conceit to mask the actual CGI elements. It's like how Jurassic Park obscured most of its dinosaurs, showed them from far away, or put them in dark, rainy scenes. TPM pushed the tech by avoiding most of those tricks.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 17, 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Race Realists posted:

okay this is driving me crazy, i gotta ask:

Why do people insist the whole "Yoda using a lightsaber" thing is completely out of character? Where in the OT did yoda make it clear that he didnt use it?

thats literally the only thing i disagree with RLM on

As with Darth Vader, many people approach the prequels with the idea that Yoda should be the same as he was in the later movies. Instead, we have a Yoda who uses his mundane sword and is always trying to look to the future.

This characterization of Yoda is actually great because it lends significance to his lines in ESB, where he's chastising Luke for always looking to the horizon when he should be focusing on what's right in front of him. It shows us, in retrospect, that Yoda has learned an important lesson from his failure.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

edit: that being said, I remember who Yoda and Sheev's light saber duel begins, maybe they just start light sabering.

Force lightning, then Yoda tosses Palpatine on his rear end and Palpatine tries to run. Then the sabering.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Just saw it. The theater was an experience. The film was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I still think Rey is Luke's daughter.

• Locked thread