Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Star Wars is cool and good...or is it? The world may never know.

Meanwhile, enjoy this thing.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just noticed the thread tag. Thank you for finally acknowledging what we all knew these films to be, GonSmithe.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been looking into the situation, and it seems as though all the apparent internet hype is just a big, expensive ARG targeted at CineD posters. Literally no one outside this forum has heard of this film and it's probably going to bomb harder than In the Heart of the Sea.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Be the change you want to see in the Star Wars thread.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Race Realists posted:

is.. is this some sort of bait?:wtc:
It's called an "opinion". It's okay for yours to be different than the one expressed and you can even explain why!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What if Star Wars Episode II was IN COLOR?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
[Josh Lincoln Dickey @JLDlite

"This will begin to make things right" is the first line of spoken dialogue in STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS, and I suppose that is true.

Get ready to hear this meme for the next decade.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 15, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress, sorry

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electromax posted:

Quick, someone compile Oswalt/El-P's other movie reviews so we can individually calibrate our alarm according to their other tastes

You're going to be disappointed regardless.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlternateAccount posted:

Contrarianism is not an ethos. I don't know why CD insists that it is.

From my point of view, the non-CineDers are contrarian!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurzon posted:

I just bought a plastic toy lightsaber. It's modeled after Luke's from ESB. It's not at all ergonomic. It hurt my hands just to hold it lightly; in a fight it would murder them. All those bits jutting out. Did Mark Hamill seriously wield that thing during his fight scenes with Vader?
No, his was made out of precision-machined steel and had an ergonomic rubberized grip.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Walrus posted:

in the half second I was there my eyes went right to the two huge spoilers in a thread title halfway down the page :(

You're a better man now for it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deakul posted:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens/

Oof, I was really hoping it'd be, at the very least, better than Attack of the Clones.
:sigh:

God drat it JJ Abrams... god loving drat it...

Wow, those reviews are brutal. I wasn't expecting the world, but the film seems like a huge mess!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrBigglesworth posted:

You idiots. You don't know what you like and are not supposed to like star war! Didn't you get the memo? Am I doing this right?

Actually, it is okay to like a star war, in fact all the star wars are fine to like.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If The Force Awakens is any good, you won't need any knowledge of previous Star Wars installments to enjoy it. If it's a bad film, no knowledge of the "canon" will save it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lampsacus posted:

OK, just got back from a midnight screening here in NZ. Can we talk about the film yet or should I take my thoughts to the spoiler thread?

I don't see why not as long as you use spoiler tags.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

OldTennisCourt posted:

I have the Zahn novels and played the KOTOR games, is there any other decent EU stuff I should look at?

When I was in middle school, I burned through most of the EU stuff that had come out by that point. The Zahn novels were the high point and the lows were pretty far down. I feel there's not a lot that merits a revisit now that I'm in my late 20s and have experienced much more sophisticated literature.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

minato posted:

I really enjoyed the movie, but on reflection there were so many little script and direction flaws that could have been easily fixed.

You know what's way more interesting than writing fanfiction or playing movie producer? Talking about the film as it actually exists.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Polo-Rican posted:

mods, please delete cinema discusso

No don't I like it here :(

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't forget what website you're posting on.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I disagree. That would be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
These wildly different responses are fun to read.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Are you serious? I wouldn't mind more explanation on this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462468&pagenumber=727&perpage=40#post408124622

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bongo Bill posted:

This movie gets the prequels. The prequels are Kylo Ren's backstory as well as Darth Vader's. ANH (TFA) tells us that Darth Vader (Kylo Ren) was seduced by the Dark Side and helped the Empire (First Order) wipe out the last of the Jedi. The prequels tell us that actually, it's not that simple, and he had a less abstract motive for his infamous crimes. Remember this fact!

ESB challenged ANH: the villain actually used to be the hero. RotJ challenged ESB: the villain can be redeemed. The prequels challenged the originals: it's inevitable that the villain will fall in the same way. TFA begins with the aftermath of RotS (which is why it seems so similar to ANH; it's an alt-sequel with the characters switched around, much like RotJ showed another way the end of ANH could have played out), but it's preparing its successors to challenge the prequels by disassembling and solving the dilemma of Darth Vader's inevitability.

Adam Driver was channeling Hayden Christiansen in a big way. He's a synthesis of Anakin and Vader, driving home that they were the same character and the man beneath the mask was the truer performance than James Earl Jones'.

Dope. Can't wait to see it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm reminded why I never go to the theater. There was a guy sitting behind me who was commenting on stuff through out the whole movie. It was mostly saying, "Aw, poo poo," literally anytime anything even moderately exciting happened, or was introducing characters incorrectly (Keelo Ren, 3P-CO, R2-BB, Captain Fantasia), but would occassionally just turn into him narrating what was happening on screen "Oh he she force tricked him and he dropped his gun. Now she's going to escape." "R2D2 woke up, now they're bringing the map together"
One of my most memorable movie theater experiences was watching a Navy chief petty officer stand up in the middle of The Bourne Supremacy and curse out the fat nerd behind him for doing exactly this kind of thing.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 18, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, it contains rumors and speculation for all the upcoming films.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Wait people are scared of baseless speculation for the next two movies because someone might accidentally be right? lol

That is how deep the spoiler psychosis goes, yes.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

hhhat posted:

No, of course not, but there were plenty of posts that were 'leaked' information. ANd then of course there's FYAD being loving assholes. I stayed away from an assload of things to watch this movie without knowing poo poo, it's exhausting. And I like talking star wars with you guys but in this thread alone there's been like 5 posts since yesterday where someone did the spoiler tag wrong and then had to go back and fix it.

As for baseless speculation, you can get way more specific about the next chapter now, but you can still be wrong. Who knows. gently caress spoilers anyway.
Spoilers are not actually that bad and you shouldn't wear yourself out caring about them. Just live your life, man.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

hhhat posted:

How about no and don't tell me who Lukes dad is kthx

What do you mean by this?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cnut the Great posted:

Good to see this silly narrative is still going strong:

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/18/10561492/star-wars-conspiracy-theories

Note: The only scenes George cut out that Marcia edited were the ones with Luke and his friends on Tatooine that everyone seems to universally agree are bad. And that was obviously for the original release, not the Special Edition.

And LOL at "Believability: 6/10" for such a blatantly nonsensical conspiracy theory.

Whoa, that whole article is nottheonion.txt

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's kind of hard to believe how much money The Force Awakens is making.

Box Office Mojo posted:

UPDATE: Disney is reporting as of 2 PM PST that Force Awakens matinees are pointing to a total first day take of $100+ million. That "first day" total includes the $57 million from Thursday night preview screenings, which in and of itself also includes Star Wars marathon ticket sales. As noted below, this would break the largest Friday, opening day and single day records currently held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 at $91 million. No estimates quite yet on the weekend outside of the appearance the film will top $200 million. The earlier report follows...
The rest of the article is full of huge numbers that don't quite seem real.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

[edit] I think TFA is in the same situation Avatar was in actually. Both had the same release date in the same month with pretty much zero competition heading into the holidays. This movie gonna make stupid bank for sure.
Future competition looks to be nonexistent, too. There's no serious challenger being released next week. The Hateful Eight, which is getting a wide release on December 31, has much less general audience appeal. Same with The Revenant, going wide on January 8. There's not another blockbuster the release schedule until March 25 when Batman vs Superman comes out. This was the same time period that American Sniper made $350 million, and The Force Awakens certainly has the same quasi-religious appeal that encourages repeat viewings and activation of people who don't go to movies anymore.

There's potential for a very, very long tail with this movie.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wandle Cax posted:

I see you are confused, The Force Awakens is the sequel to Return of the Jedi, not Revenge of the Sith. Consult the episode numbers for further clarification.

It is a plot sequel to Return of the Jedi and a thematic sequel, a response if you will, to Revenge of the Sith. There was a big deal made about this in the marketing, for instance.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wandle Cax posted:

Calling this only a plot sequel to the original films is ridiculous as the themes are all references or subversions from those films.
Sure, but I didn't say that. You read "only" when it wasn't there ;)

quote:

I missed most of the marketing, how did it reference Revenge of the Sith? I can't imagine the much maligned prequels would have figured at all in selling this film, a clear resurrection of the original.
A large amount of the promotional material made it clear that the movie was a conscious return to classic Star Wars, which is a response to the perceived inadequacy of the prequels. If Bongo Bill is correct, the response goes far beyond the artists' intentions into the themes of the film. It's kind of inevitable that it would be a thematic response to what came directly before it because that's how sequels (and films in general) function.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You might get probated if you don't hide that pic behind spoiler tags. SALR allows displaying linked images inline, but not if they're inside tags.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4133

quote:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has already put its stamp on the record books, kicking off its domestic release with an estimated $120.5 million Friday opening. That opening number includes a record-breaking $57 million from Thursday night "previews" and makes this the first film to gross more than $100 million in a "single" day, but the records don't stop there.
:eyepop:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Little financial update...

quote:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens stormed the box office and walked away with an estimated $238 million in its first three days domestically (including $57 million in Thursday night "previews") along with another $279 million internationally for a massive $517 million worldwide opening. Suffice to say, this shatters the domestic box office opening weekend record of $208.8 million set by Jurassic World earlier this year, but the record-breaking doesn't end there.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4134&p=.htm

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's the actual opening weekend numbers. $10 million above the last estimate, even!

quote:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens stormed the box office and walked away with $247.9 million in its first three days domestically (including $57 million in Thursday night "previews") along with another $281 million internationally for a massive $524.9 million worldwide opening. Suffice to say, this shatters the domestic box office opening weekend record of $208.8 million set by Jurassic World earlier this year as well as the worldwide opening weekend record, but the record-breaking doesn't end there.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4134

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 22, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus star wars fan really do hate star wars. Even a nigh-remake of the original gets rabid criticism. Watch some fans demand more than half of the film franchise expunged.

The most common complaint I've heard from fans and admirers is that it's too much like the originals, but without the X, where X can be gravitas, stakes, likable characters, believability, and so on. As they see it, TFA is an imperfect copy that's so close to the originals that the "flaws" stand out more than they would in a less faithful replica. Regardless of the specific flaws that are pointed to, the "Star Wars magic" is missing. (You can see the flip side when people say "the Star Wars magic is back".) I think this isn't a useful way to look at the film -- for one, it's not a remake or imitation in any meaningful sense -- and points to a misunderstanding of why the original trilogy is great, and more generally why we enjoy great films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

This isn't really related to the conversation at hand, but how would you describe the phenomenon where a film fails to line or live up to the version generated in one's mind through praise by other individuals and culture as a whole? I enjoy the OT, but it doesn't live up the cultural ideal of Star Wars as the perfect adventure story, each character an instantly enrapturing, quintessential example of their type, embroiled in unforgettable action. Similar to what you described, I think the flaws stick out more because when watching them, I can't help but be constantly seeking the flawless movies I've been told they (or at least one or two) are.

I experienced something similar when I viewed the Mad Max films, and funnily enough, Fury Road ended up exactly matching my initial envisioning of the franchise based on cultural descriptions of and references to The Road Warrior.

That's a phenomenon based entirely on your personal tastes, experiences, attitudes, and expectations, for both examples you give.

The important thing is to first understand why the films are considered great by critics and audiences, and then understand why you agree or disagree.

Motto posted:

Based on a few posts I read about how the action genre has changed over time, I guess yeah, it'd come down to that and a generational gap.
Genre conventions are a way of managing expectations, and "generational gap" is just shorthand for differences in everything I mentioned above between you and the original audience.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 22, 2015

• Locked thread