Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Can I just say I'm delighted that Dave Franco is apparently on the short list for young Solo?

Also, Solo apparently has a Rogue One cameo? How on Earth does that work, unless the theft of the plans is over a decade before ANH? I am not a fan of this idea.

A mo-cap CGI Han Solo is definitely a better idea. Star Wars fans are known for their keen appreciation of, and enthusiasm for, CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

That old pirate that's Jack Sparrow's dad in the third POTC should also be Han Solo's dad.

Heck, let's just have Snoke actually be the embodiment of the spirit of rock & roll.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Empty quote this on every page. Also note that unlike in Mos Eisley there are droids in the place at all.

Bigotry against droids is all but gone in TFA, for better or for worse.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

As with a lot of things, Padme's life and personality is something that appears much more in concept, in the screenplay, than in the finished film. The AOTC script sheds a lot about Padme's history and origins.

That bit highlights even more that she's always been attracted to helping refugees. Anakin isn't strictly a refugee, but he's a kid in need and grows up to be her "type."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

Question: I listen to a lot of Super Best Friends and they have mentioned that George Lucas told Portman and Hayden to basically "not act so good." Is there any article or video this is referenced in?

There's this thing. Bolding is mine.

George Lucas posted:

How did James Earl Jones get involved?
I said right from the beginning that I was looking for a voice for Darth Vader. I went through a lot of different tapes of people, including Orson Welles. But then I landed on James Earl Jones, because he's a superb actor. And I was so worried at that point, because it's minimalist acting in a mask: He doesn't get a huge range of stuff to deal with. I was looking for him to pull a realistic performance out of this constrained reality I had created and really grab the audience. It's one of these horrible acting exercises – sometimes directors put themselves in a corner, and it's thankless for the actor.

The same thing happened with Padmé in Episode I, when she had this very stilted dialogue as the Queen. And also with Hayden in Episode II. He said, "I don't want to be this whiny kid." I said, "Well, you are. You gotta be a whiny teenager."

Like father, like son.
He said, "I want to be Darth Vader." I said, "You gotta be a petulant young Jedi. You're not going to be the guy you thought you'd be when you signed your contract." Hayden was grateful for this last movie, where he actually got to be Darth Vader.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yaws posted:

After mulling about it for the last 10 years, I think Anakin fell to the darkside because his mom died.

This, but unironically. He had premonitions about her death for long before it happened, Jedi just shrug it off, and then it actually happened and she dies in his arms. When he starts having similar premonitions about his mom replacement Padme, he is desperate to make sure he isn't too late/too weak to stop it.

And it's telling that when the Jedi are concerned about the very powerful Anakin Skywalker being too old and being too worried about his mother, their solution is to double down on dogma and nagging about his feelings, rather than, say, freeing her and putting her up in a small condo on Alderaan where he wouldn't be consumed with worry about her.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

The thing is, the actions people seem to think Padme or the Jedi should have taken for Shmi are actually advised against in the real world as doing more harm than good.

It's not about real world slavery, and "First, Do More Harm Than Good" could be the motto of late Republic Jedi. The lazersword supermen have a really powerful lazersword superman trainee, but his emotional stability is in question the moment they meet him. Rather than address his emotions and mitigate a rather large and evident source of distress for him, these guardians of peace and justice try to get him to suppress his emotions the same way they did in superman brainwashing camp.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

No, "Do More Harm Than Good" wasn't really their motto until the outbreak of the Clone Wars. Prior to that point, the Jedi were (rightly) reluctant to interfere in galactic affairs more than they absolutely needed to in order to maintain equilibrium between the forces of good and evil. The Jedi allow slavery to continue in the Outer Rim only because any actions they could possibly take to eliminate it would only lead to equal or greater suffering.

On the other hand, the outbreak of the Clone Wars was the work of the Jedi. They literally brought the clones; no clones, no Clone Wars. Also, I understand that the Jedi were trying to teach Anakin that selfless Jedi compassion -- but in doing so, where was their compassion for Anakin or his mother or the slaves or anything but the status quo? Anakin was a Jedi superweapon who was supposed to bring balance to the Force, and the Republic Jedi (unlike Luke) weren't willing to throw away their weapon. No, they snapped him up after a bit hand-wringing. I think "Do More Harm Than Good" is their motto for all the prequels.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sean10mm posted:

For most people, who know nothing about how CGI or even movie effects in general really work, complaining about "all the lovely CGI" in the prequels is really just an imprecise way of saying they dislike their overall aesthetic, or thought too many scenes had an off-putting look to them. Almost nobody actually cares what % of a movie is or isn't CGI. So "proving" that the prequels used models or TFA used CGI doesn't really address the underlying criticism at all. It's literally correct, but misses the actual source of the complaints in favor of declaring victory on the semantics.

If you come upon me smacking a frying pan with a metal ladle and you ask me to quit making such a goddamn racket and I tell you that I'm practicing the violin and you say THE HELL YOU ARE, would you accept my saying Yes I am, I'm really just doing it imprecisely?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Stay tuned for the special edition releases! The movie J Jabrams originally wanted to make!

I would be pretty darn amused if the video release of TFA did not match the theatrical one and they refused to release the theatrical version ever.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

So anyways thats my thought on why I think CGI is good when used well and bad when used poorly

So how would you portray these things if you wanted to show that the people in those environments ... don't care?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Maybe the guy walking could look and be like "pfft, bee droid, whatever" and keep walking, or be annoyed he has to change his path, or stop a bit then keep walking. Or the people eating with Sebulba could look at Sebulba and go "wow beating up someone, nice" and go abck to eating, instead of literally doing nothing and acting like these things arent even there (because for them, they arent!)

Like if you think the intent of the Maul droid scene or Sebulba beat up scene is to show that no one cares that this is happening, then I have to take us back to the OT where a similar scene plays out and the movie actually acknowledges that it happens & then shows us that no one cares!

Greedo getting shot & Panda Boba getting his arm cut off are both 'acknowledged' by the crowd but no one gives a poo poo. IT works. No one acknowledges Sebulba or the Droid because they dont exist on the set and I dont think the extras were told what was going on.

And yet it would have been easy enough for them to slap some CGI people "acknowledging and not giving a poo poo", right over the extras. And they didn't.

Fictional or nonfictional, some things are so commonplace that people literally do not stop to acknowledge them. How would you portray that?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

you realize its not an argument about the droid itself but about something impeding the path of someone walking right? it could be anything, a child, one of those flying wattos, a rock, what matters is something appears suddenly in a pedestrians path and they dont give a poo poo. which doesnt happen IRL

"These beings with alien physiology, explicitly able to do things humans cannot (e.g. Podrace), do not act the way humans do IRL! THIS MOVIE R DUM!"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Anakin is a human and he podraces. Therefore, humans can podrace. Hell, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are also human, but they could do it too. No matter how far down this semantic pisshole we go, it'll still come out the same. :buddy:

I'm not even sure what point it would prove if humans couldn't podrace? The idea that CGI creations can do a CGI thing, therefore it's silly to expect them to react to non-CGI things believably?

Non-humans in the Star Wars galaxy are not always palette-swapped humans. Therefore, it is not this mind-rending abomination for them to behave unlike the viewer from time to time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I found it annoying and ridiculous that after Obi-Wan pries open Grievous's chest to reveal his vital organic components that Grievous just acts surprised, makes the worst noise ever, comes across as embarrassed like he just got his pants pulled down and doesn't immediately like, close it shut again.

Just gets shot in his big stupid heart by an uncivilized weapon.

Kind of like how Qui-Gon gets bopped on the head, acts surprised, and gets shanked. And then Darth Maul gets dunked on, acts surprised, and gets shanked. It's your call whether that pattern is generic or setting-specific or coincidence.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Why do you even think that's okay? the gently caress's wrong with you you don't have enough human sympathy------no, okay, maybe you don't know. The Cinerama Dome is Tarantino's theater. Like, it's his homeground, it's the place where you got to watch his movie debuts so you can talk to him about it and poo poo. Not "his" theater in the sense that it plays Tarantino movies year round but generally it is the one he likes best. But gently caress that if you can make a few dollars more, right?

Like do you even understand what's wrong here? Like, why this is wrong?

Wait, why are you mad at Disney? Shouldn't you be mad at, like, the theater? Disney can't come in with mouse-eared goons and shove their Star War into the projection booth.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Uh, but they can order the theater to stop showing Force Awakens too early which would cost it huge-o in revenues, way more than they'd get back showing QT's movie.

Yeah, they can, but the theater still doesn't have to do it. Are you mad at the theater for caving for business reasons? If not, why are you mad at Disney for pressuring them for business reasons? I think you should be mad at both, since his theater totally stabbed him in the back for a payoff.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Also are you loving listening to yourself? "Well, the drycleaner could have not taken the laundered money, he'd have been beat up but he could have gone to the police" shut the gently caress up. Are you gonna compare the goddamn Weinstein Company, who do well for themselves but let's be real are a niche studio, to goddamn Walt Disney Entertainment? Of course you side with one over the other here, and the difference is so vast I doubt it even effects the relationship Quentin probably has with the owners of that particular theater. Here's a hot tip ethics majors, what went down is still loving wrong

Ok, sure, but yes or no on his theater is completely innocent of selling out Tarantino for a wad of cash? Because that's what this is. It's not "avoiding getting beat up," it is chasing a pile of money. There are other movies out that they can show to keep the lights on.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Fundamentally I think, you think just because a business does what is best for that business to keep existing, that should be okay, I mean, they could have chosen to take the less viable choice on principle but they didn't so gently caress principles right haha? Like theaters everywhere are in dire loving straits right now so gently caress it, whatever. The theater actually did try to fight it until Disney was like "we will seriously just drop a moneyhammer on your stupid rear end," (this is admittedly according to QT's account but I doubt he'd lie on national radio), then they had to call Quentin and tell him his movie wasn't playing over the holidays afterall. This is not a business that can afford to thumb its nose at the more profitable option, feelings aside, but that doesn't make what happened less wrong or less of a petty and mean moneygrab on the part of Disney which already had the most profitable movie in the world coming out.

When I said "okay" I meant I agree that what happened was wrong. "Can't afford to thumb its nose at the more profitable option" though? Part of percentage deals for movies in general is a basic allowance to keep the theater operational. So, again, I agree, it was wrong, but I am inferring here that you think it was OK for his theater to sell him out. (Y/n)?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Why the gently caress does that matter? Look, I'm calling Disney Busy Moran here, and you're saying "but the theater was Joe Fuxciss! What about Joe Fuxciss! He ran numbers!" Ultimately it's between Tarantino and that theater and I'm sure he'll do business with them again, but seriously who the gently caress cares, Disney's the instigator, Disney's the 800 lb. gorilla, gently caress them.

I am saying only Sith deal in absolutes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

She doesn't let the informant into her bar. That's silly.

In this fiction film, the castle represents a vague hippie utopia of multiculturalism and harmony with nature and whatever, and this is pointedly crushed by the First Order - albeit for no clear reason (they're trying to capture BB8, not destroy him). Maz is against the First Order, and working against them, for this very reason.

Rather than being the heart of the movie primarily, do you suppose that she's there for opposition to Han and his lifestyle? Both are retired from the Good Fight, but where she put down roots in a green, thriving forest, welcoming all types from across the galaxy, he has remained on the move, apart from civilization and Leia, on the run from most everyone (apparently) in a shipping container in the wasteland of space. A cantina drags him into the Rebellion initially, and a cantina is the beginning of his last trip. Han's famous enough to have opened Han's Bar & Grill somewhere, too, but instead chose to do the only thing he ever thought he was good at.

Edit: I mean, it's literally the opposite of what Han offers Rey, at a point in the movie where she has both options right in front of her.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

korusan posted:

what part don't you get? The prequels didn't get that stellar of reviews.

"Not that stellar" is a weasel phrase that lets you get out of jail when somebody points out that the prequels were not anything close to universally panned. No matter how good the reviews were, well, they weren't THAT stellar, the arbitrary amount of stellar you will retroactively claim you meant. Roger Ebert knew movies, and the only one that got a "bad" review was Attack of the Clones, which was partly because he saw it on film rather than digital. He revised his opinion a little when he went back to see it again. OT got 4/4; Episodes I and III got 3.5/4 (Episode II on film got 2/4).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

korusan posted:

Actually I was pretty clear that I said 80%:

Oh yeah I did. The aggregates were from imdb, Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic, and they all fall within the average range of 70s, or lower. I never said they were universally panned, I said they weren't "well reviewed" as another person claimed.

One thing that makes aggregation sites actually pretty bad for supporting points is that some of it is made up and/or stuff written later on. Here's a 1999 review of The Phantom Menace. Go read it, it's short. Its conclusion, after complaining about how Jar Jar is foolish, Amidala is ineffective, Obi-Wan is tentative, and Anakin acts like a kid:

quote:

The overall look and feel of the picture is always powerful. And the sound effects serenade your ears with palpable crispness. The prime scene – the real thriller, for my money – is an exhilarating spacecraft land race, in which Anakin Skywalker plays a youthful Ben Hur to Sebulba, a tentacled, cheating Messala who tries to destroy his space pod. Now that's a cool scene.

But after the movie's immediate effect has worn off, the shortcomings hover in the air. Obviously, this film will touch the lives and fantasies of millions of people. But I'd be surprised if a majority of "Phantom" fans – after sober reflection in a Jedi monastery, of course – place the movie at the top of the "Star Wars" pantheon. I think even Yoda would back me up on that.

What grade do you think Metacritic made up (apparently literally) for that review? The review itself does not give the movie any kind of score.
It's a 40, obviously.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

Maybe I should watch them again just to appreciate the visuals again, now that I actually own some nice HD copies of them? You know, if I have six hours to spare for some movies I didn't like much the last time I saw 'em.

Do this and report back. I got the movies on blu-ray and am (slowly) watching them. It's my third time seeing the prequels (one theatrical and one DVD viewing each before) and in some ways it feels like this is the first time I'm really watching them. Episode III is this weekend. :)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

Once again, it seems like J.J. saw something on the surface of these movies that he wanted to emulate, but he didn't quite grasp the deeper meaning behind it all. And that's not surprising coming from a guy who says he never really liked Star Trek because it was too "intellectual." The guy just isn't a deep thinker--or, to be absolutely fair to him, he just doesn't like movies that require him to be a deep thinker.

Indeed, the more charitable conclusion is that J.J. Abrams saw and understood the artsy intellectualism of the OT and especially the PT, and simply rejected it, because it's toxic as far as the fan base is concerned or because he just wasn't interested in making that kind of movie. Or both.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ungulateman posted:

And Luke doesn't even say or do anything for an entire movie!

It was a lot like a mega-budget TV pilot, honestly, complete with the cliffhanger to make you willing to wait for 30 seconds for Netflix to start the next episode. Given the number of films they're going to make, that's probably OK. Different, but ok.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Just watched Revenge of the Sith again and liked it even more than I remember. The beginning sequence where Obi-Wan and Anakin and R2 is much funnier than I remember, too. I noticed this time that the dismantling of the Republic actually begins with Palpatine literally dismantling the Senate seats, to throw them at Yoda. Yoda tries fighting back, using these same vestiges of the Republic, but if I recall rightly, that is the point when he begins losing ground.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I seriously want to hear a personal reading on how this makes sense at all. Maybe before selling off Star Wars he should have inserted a scene with lookalikes where Ben hands luke a picture of young Vader and goes "this is your dad. He was wicked cool during this time. Maybe if in the future you start seeing ghosts you should imagine he looks like this. Remember me like this though; these are real comfy robes, 100% cashmere lining, have a feel"

How about "It's what he looked like before he became Darth Vader"? As Darth Vader (even pre-armor in Revenge of the Sith) he had different goals and morals and personality. A different character, you might say.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

That character is basically vader already at that point in time though? I mean, when I think "time when anakin was good" I don't think "when he already executed an entire tribe, and is on his way to executed a disarmed and vulnerable old man".

Anakin the Jedi knows that killing the Sand People was wrong, and it upsets him. Anakin the Jedi knows that executing Count Dooku is/was bad, so much so that it is Mace Windu's willingness to do the same that pushes him over the edge to the dark side. Darth Vader -- and let's be clear, "Darth Vader" does not exist until the death of Mace Windu -- kills Younglings and other Jedi because he believes it is the right thing to do, and does so with regret rather than passionate anger.

I mean, it was already pointed out that Obi-Wan kills unarmed retreating droids, and he doesn't even have the grace to feel bad about it afterward, droids who even say things like "excuse me" to their enemies and "you're welcome" to their superiors who don't say "thank you."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

My favourite shot of the entire movie. They crammed a volume of character into a shot with no dialogue and that lasted like 5 seconds.

That was one of the best bits of the movie, absolutely. I think that plus her little pilot doll before it were excellent.

I think my second favorite is Kylo Ren pausing to look at bloodstained Finn as he's getting back on his ship.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tezzor posted:

Speaking of, you dudes remember Order 66, right? Wow, what a thing. Lucas had been working on the prequel films for six years by the time he wrote that. He claimed to have the basic idea of the plot of these films all figured out by the late 1980s. But when it's time to kill all the Jedi it's whoops, deus ex machina plot device that has never been established at all. What a waste of a storytelling opportunity out of sheer lazy and incompetent writing. Wouldn't this be cool: Early in episode 2 somebody hears Senator Palpatine talking about Order 66. They ask him what it is and he laughingly brushes them off with some excuse. Or even earlier, at the beginning of in episode 1 the Most Dishonabaru Space Chinamen are asking Sidious about Order 66 and he says the tests have been successful. Or, gently caress, at least some mention within Episode 3. Anyway, Obi-Wan or Padme or whoever investigates over time and slowly discovers the horrible truth just as it's too late. Nope. Just: Hey. Kill all the Jedi because of a thing we haven't seen before. Great stuff

inorite?

Picture this: when Vader lands in Cloud City, Boba Fett says that he saw his son leaving Mos Eisley. Or early in A New Hope, we have Grand Moff Tarkin asking Vader how his kids are, and Vader brushes him off. "Your interest in my children is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."

Nope, total surprise when Vader springs it on Luke. Great stuff

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The ordinary battle droids pretty consistently try to get people to surrender by default, rather than opening fire. If anything, they are more "civilized" than the clones.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tezzor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlG4T1S2lU

Watch this video and tell me George Lucas has any respect for the battle droids or how tragic it is that they are being used for violence. I dare you. Here's a transcript if you can't be assed:

George Lucas: This is our new stormtrooper...
Steven Spielberg: So this is the new model, being replaced by "Star Wars" by the new model...
GL: Yeah, because, what you don't realize is that these guys are not very efficient. They, uh... these things... Yeah, the Jedi cut them down like they're butter, and they really are pretty useless.
SS: Yeah, pretty useless, this old dangleweed here...
[...]
SS: Yeah, these droids, they can't get the physiology right...
GL: As so what happens is at the end is they all join forces and the [Gungans] battle the droids in this huuuuge kind of "War and Peace" battle.
SS: Uh huh.
GL: Like, literally, "War and Peace."
SS: Right.
GL: Huuuge. Like, ten thousand troops on either side...
SS: Like both sides coming at each other?
GL: Both sides coming at each other.
SS: That's great.
GL: It's gonna be great.
SS: That's great.
GL: It's gonna be great.
SS: That's gonna be great.
Yes, definitely, no sign that there is any subtext there about the often pointless horrors of war being inflicted on people.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Even after all that he still wants Luke to cold kill Vader because "He's more machine now than man..."

Obi-Wan was intent on killing all along, from the moment Yoda gave him the job of facing Vader. He doesn't say anything in reply when Padme asks him whether he's going to kill Anakin. Obi-Wan ignites his laser sword first on Mustafar. Perhaps most tellingly, rather than staying with the mortally-wounded Vader, he picks up Anakin's lightsaber and reports back to Padme, who reminds him that there is (present tense, even though Obi-Wan presumably thinks Vader died) good in Vader before she dies too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Snoke I'm willing to hold judgement on until we find out more about who he is. Palpatine really isn't a character until Jedi, you get hints of his personality in ESB (even pre-DVD version) but nothing like the sheer satanic presence he actually has.

But then, "Emperor of the Galaxy" needs less explanation than "leader of a splinter group that according to the opening crawl is all about finding Luke but decides to attack the Republic".

It really looked to me as though the reasoning went "we will only be able to get Harrison Ford to do one movie" > "we have to kill him off in this movie, so fans' demands don't bankrupt us when Ford doubles his asking price next time" > "we have to give him a proper send-off, because of the fans" > "we can't have a proper send-off without Leia, since they were together at the end of Episode VI" > "Leia's really only been a damsel in distress and a rebel leader, so we have to set up the latter" > huge amounts of screen time devoted to Han and Leia, at the expense of anything useful or even interesting about Maz, Hux, Snoke, or Phasma.

I don't think I'm on board with saying that's bad, given the number of movies they're going to make. They're no longer in a trilogy mindset. It does weaken TFA for the very limited amount of time it will have been a standalone experience.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

And Han's screentime is almost exclusively in relation to how he interacts with new characters. The only real exception is the Rathtar sequence. But everything else is him and Rey, him and Finn, him and Maz, or him and Leia ABOUT Ben.

Yes. That is exactly the point. We would not need to see how Han interacts with Leia AND Finn AND Maz AND Rey if Harrison Ford were going to be around for more films. Nor would we even need the Rathtar thing at all.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I thought we were supposed to take a film as it is; not bank on future installments? There's nothing wrong with having a character interact with a bunch of other different characters. Rey is defeintely showing up in Episode VIII and she interacted with Leia, Han, Finn, Maz, Chewie, Ben, Unkar Plutt, and BB-8. It this somehow a problem?

Stay with me, here: Maz, Snoke, Hux, and Phasma have very little to define them. This is because more time had to go to Han Solo, beloved fan favorite who dies in the movie. If Han Solo would have continued beyond TFA, the Han-centric plot would not have been necessary. The focus on Han Solo probably contributed to the weak characterizations of Maz, Snoke, Hux, and Phasma. Time spent having Han bond with people and reconnect with Leia is time not spent on characters who will continue on.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

It's is part of the genre. Not every character is going to get fleshed out. It's a seriel.

But it also points to SMGs point that JJ Abrams is not as good as Lucas at getting economical and efficient characterization. Maz is a complete mess and since she is at the center of the film is confusing.

Yes. That was my other point -- it is like this because it is a serial rather than a trilogy. But let's not pretend that Hux and Snoke and Phasma had characterization. We know what they look like, and we know Hux likes yelling and dislikes Republics and Kylo Ren. I am afraid any further characterization escaped me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Palps is a crazy good villain, especially when he gets to ham it up like crazy at the end of ROTS, but he's a long way from sympathetic.

The scene in ROTS where he tells Anakin he's the bad guy is comedy gold. When he confesses he knows the dark side, he lets his mouth hang open in half-pretend surprise at his own admission. It is excellent. He then at least has the sense to be a little nervous when Anakin fully realizes what he's saying. It's an excellent scene and is arguably the point where Anakin has just lost, even though his heel turn comes in the next time they meet.

But no, I don't think anybody else but Dooku knows Palpatine = Sidious. You can tell Dooku knows because he looks at Palpatine, shocked and a little pleading, right before he gets killed.

• Locked thread