Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You know, I still haven't made any kind of plans or reservations to watch this. I should probably watch it pretty soon to avoid being horribly spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hilarious. I wonder what she'd think of one of the Villains of Rebels being voiced by a black guy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah, Han Shoots last special Edition if you really wanna make over-obsessed star wars nerds mad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

lelandjs posted:

So uh John Boyega wore a single leather glove on his right hand on the red carpet and went out of his way to show off that fact... Wonder if he's trolling.

Everything I've seen from this dude makes me like him. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maul was supposed to be dead. Vader wasn't supposed to be Luke's dad. Leia wasn't supposed to be Luke's Sister.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I actually like Maul's presence in The Clone Wars, dude actually gains a personality beyond "pace angrily and growl". Dude also gets some pretty sweet revenge on Kenobi.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pod Racing is awesome and has some of the best sound design in the entire star wars movie series. :colbert:

You can say the whole race causes the movie to be strung out too long (and you'd be kind of right) but anyone who thinks the concept of Rocket/Turbine-Powered Ben Hur Space Chariot Races is a dumb idea has bad opinions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Artoo programmed a landing area, no doubt.

And how often do youthink about your toaster or lamp when you're not actively using it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There are some really crazy EU fans out there. The kind that draw their Mandalorian OC Self-inserts or EU characters brutally murdering Disney or new canon star wars characters, threaten to spoil the new movie(s) for everyone they run across, and make hilarious bad/pointless comments on any new-canon related websites/articles/youtubes.

It'd be funny if it didn't seem like genuine mental sickness in some cases (the aforementioned "Fanart").

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thrawn was kinda dumb poo poo too. "Oooo I am a MILITARY GENIUS. I can look at this Mon Calamari Mona Lisa and INSTANTLY DIVINE all of Admiral Ackbar's tactics!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Don't forget Ewoks then, that got theatrical releases in some regions. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll never understand why people liked Corran Horn, he was just another Stackpole Mary Sue character. I had enough of those in Battletech.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 16, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Artoo is waiting for something, but why does he need to be in low power mode anyways?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Or they could not do that, and ignore the horrible "the force is actually a bunch of little creatures that live in your blood" retcon that Lucas crammed into the worst movie into the series.

Is someone strong with The Force because midiclorians are present? Or are midiclorians present because someone is strong with The Force?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

NecroMonster posted:

no actually its good that the clones aren't at all complacent in the betrayal of the jedi because it helps, ironically maybe, to humanize them, of course the movies proper never really touch on the fact that the clones are as much victims of these intergalactic slap-fights as everyone else

This is one of my favorite parts of The Clone Wars and Rebels series.

Its kind of funny, the Jedi took an army of clones and encouraged them to take names and individualize themselves. The Empire took recruits, removed their names, gave them numbers, and did their best to remove individuality. Then the First Order went even further and started with infants and turned people into "clones".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Probably not, but Rebels is a pretty fun show IMO. At the very least its worth checking out. The first few episodes are kind "decent" but the show starts finding it stride quickly. Once Tarkin comes in to pay a visit, things start kicking into high gear.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Didn't we hear a couple storm troopers casually chatting while Rey was sneaking around after escaping?

Just cause they're indoctrinated to be loyal and unquestioning to the First Order from a young age doesn't mean they can't be somewhat personable. For all we know they tell jokes and give eachother poo poo in the mess hall. Even Cody, who was similarly indoctrinated and trained from birth as a clone soldier in the prequels had a bit of a personality and joked with Obi-wan in the few bits of "normal" interaction we got to see of him. They're still people, not droids.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gorelab posted:

I found Maz encouraging Finn to use the lightsaber at all kinda odd. It feels like there shouldn't be a shortage of blasters around a seedy cantina.

By that point they were crawling out of the ruins of the basement. Most of the place was already rubble, there wasn't really time to go find a blaster.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Where is it shown he doesn't know what the Resistance is at all? Afterall, first thing he does when he decides to desert is to go rescue the Resistance pilot that got captured in the raid he was a participant in earlier.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Effectronica posted:

Finn says "What?" and is visibly and audibly confused when Poe asks him if he's with the Resistance. He then says, "No, this is a rescue," which would be a non sequitur if he knew what the Resistance was. I'm sorry you're mentally handicapped.

Nah. He gets confused because from Finn's perspective, he is obviously a stormtrooper deserter and is so focused on keeping his poo poo together (he is on the verge of a panic attack the whole time) that he's not thinking about anything but getting out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

McDragon posted:

Also the baddies should have blown up the Resistance and then the Republic rather than the other way round but Star Wars baddies making bad decisions with their superweapons is just par for the course.

Baddies didn't know where the Resistance was. Its mentioned in the film that they learn where the Resistance is by following the recon flight the Resistance sends to confirm Finn giving them Starkiller Base's location.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Polo-Rican posted:

- Does anyone think that the Cantina scene was a last-minute insert? This part felt weird to me because it didn't seem to match the environs at all. The Mos Eisley cantina was dingy bar in the middle of a town. The exterior of this cantina looks like a Tibetan temple, and it's in the middle of an empty, lush valley, and yet it's just another a dive bar. Which apparently has a basement full of treasure that none of the drunk patrons find interesting? Anyways, it felt to me like originally, Maz Kanata was going to be a Yoda-type who lived alone and had some relics in her basement, but late in the game they decided to cram a Cantina into the mix.

Its more like an intergalactic roadside truck stop diner to me. All that was missing was a big electric sign showing space-diesel prices.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I kinda figured Han was exaggerating a bit there, meaning it in a "yeah she's been around forever" sort of way. But this is Star Wars so I guess everything should be taken literally. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, that is what I thought she meant. I mean she's clearly old (Chewie is getting pretty old at this point too), but I figured not Yoda old.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phylodox posted:

Chewie's getting to be, like, early middle age. He's not old old.

He was a grown adult during the clone wars. So he's at least 60 years old.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually I think he did have some silver to his hair.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Black with white panels is a much better color for TIEs than the Empire's (blue-)grey with black panels. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Or maybe the TIEs and even T-70s are perfectly fine fighters and the T-85 is the result of corrupt Republic Pork Belly politics and defense procurement contracting. :v:

The gist I've gotten from the movie and supplemental material so far is "Meet the new Republic, same as the old Republic."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Speaking of Old-man Han, was I the only one who noticed the severity of the scars on his chin kept changing? I swear they did...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

She is not a princess, she is a general. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

FutonForensic posted:

It did kind of bum me out that they spent so much effort and care making real alien puppets only to have the two aliens with speaking roles (Snoke and Maz) be fully CG.

This post is worth... hmm, zero portions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

RBA Starblade posted:

Red hat alien and peg leg alien were pretty cool, I can't wait for the two dozen books of backstory they somehow get.

Jokes on you, they already had a book. They're just making a cameo on TFA.

I wanna read this one based just on the title. I just hope its as cheesily pulpy as the title suggests. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll admit that I don't read many movie scripts but "(you son-of-a-bitch)" is a great parenthetical. Also "Ren heads off. Hux hates him." :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

hemale in pain posted:

He definitely is. I was just waiting for him to go down so i could whisper to myself "NOO PORKINS!!"

Instead we lost Ello "Born to Ill" Asty to a lame death. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I actually picked up the Force Awakens novelization last night. Been reading it slowly, its not bad so far (still on Jakku). My only real complaint is BB-8, whenever someone says his name in dialogue instead of BB-8 it is spelled "Beebee-ate". Now I've always liked "Artoo" or "Threepio", but for some reason the "ate" part of BB-8's name spelled out in dialogue bugs the poo poo out of me.

[edit] Kylo is even more wordy and over-wrought in his dialogue in the book. He's trying so hard to sound cool, intelligent, and menacing.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 7, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

NecroMonster posted:

Personally I like to assume that the Jedi order (and by extension) Yoda actually were right about everything they said about emotional attachment leading to the dark side and stuff, because that would open the door up for Vader not actually having been redeemed at all, because it turns out that throwing a fit and saving the life of your own flesh and blood in a moment of rage when you care not a lick for the life of anyone else doesn't actually make you a great person, even if the dude you are killed is like just really god damned evil holy cow

If Anakin hadn't been redeemed, he wouldn't have shown up as Anakin as a ghost. He either wouldn't have shown up at all, or would've shown up as Vader.

Schwarzwald posted:

This talk about Luke's lightsaber reminded me of something.

Luke lost his father's blue lightsaber at the end of ESB, right? That's why he has to build his own green lightsaber that he uses in RotJ (aside from the thematic reasons, of course).

So exactly which lightsaber does Rey find in Maz's truckstop? It was blue, so it couldn't have been the one Luke built.

No, it is Anakin's 2nd (3rd?) Lightsaber, Luke's first, the one Obi-wan gave him. No we don't know how Maz got it, she said she'd tell us later.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mon Mothma's good friend Manny Bahthans.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Captain Splendid posted:

The Outrider still does though, if nothing else.

If you're talking about it being in the X-Wing mini game that isn't canon either. Unless it made a cameo appearance in TFA? If so WHERE?

Who gives a poo poo about canon anyways. The Lucas Story Group guy put it best.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/713056528253595649

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

NTRabbit posted:

So do I - hopefully it leans a lot more on what Star Wars Rebels is doing, because that's currently the best Star Wars going around, it leaves TFA in its wake.

http://i.imgur.com/ySUsp1M.webm

Nah just kidding, silly repulsorlift spin-sabers aside, Rebels is pretty good, IMO. "TFA in its wake" good, maybe not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

turtlecrunch posted:

Rebels is so ugly though
Also I haven't watched it recently but did they rez Maul again or something wtf

Maul is the cockroach of the Star Wars universe, he'll never die.

• Locked thread